New [Steven Universe] episodes starting July 18

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Regarding Crack the Whip and the conversation about redemption
    Steven hasn't given up hope on redeeming Jasper it looks like.

He's not expecting it but he's still willing to hear her apology.

Of course that could mean either they are continuing the "everybody can be redeemed streak" or that this will be a lesson for Steven that some people just cant be redeemed so were back where we started but.

Also Wow Stevonnie is strong. I wonder how this correlates to Stevens regular strength? Is Stevonnie more than twice as strong as either of them? because based on the limited data it would appear that Stevonnie is sitting higher than Garnet in pure power. They both beat Jasper but Garnet had some issue whereas Stevonnie basically destroys her. SO does that mean Steven is pretty close to Amythist or Pearls level? That would be a pretty hefty change in the status quo to sneak in there like that.

Steven's strength
    That audio equipment he lifted was probably about 250 pounds. He lifted it like a pillow . He has a little more trouble with a chunk of Jasper's ship but not much. I think like Spider-man Steven would start having trouble lifting things once he got to car sized stuff but he's 14 so he'll only get stronger.
    Stevonnie would have the combined strength of Steven and Connie so she's probably not much stronger than Steven her body is just better suited to it due to her reach and center of gravity being different.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Of course that could mean either they are continuing the "everybody can be redeemed streak" or that this will be a lesson for Steven that some people just cant be redeemed so were back where we started but.

Also Wow Stevonnie is strong. I wonder how this correlates to Stevens regular strength? Is Stevonnie more than twice as strong as either of them? because based on the limited data it would appear that Stevonnie is sitting higher than Garnet in pure power. They both beat Jasper but Garnet had some issue whereas Stevonnie basically destroys her. SO does that mean Steven is pretty close to Amythist or Pearls level? That would be a pretty hefty change in the status quo to sneak in there like that.

Steven's strength
    That audio equipment he lifted was probably about 250 pounds. He lifted it like a pillow . He has a little more trouble with a chunk of Jasper's ship but not much. I think like Spider-man Steven would start having trouble lifting things once he got to car sized stuff but he's 14 so he'll only get stronger.
    Stevonnie would have the combined strength of Steven and Connie so she's probably not much stronger than Steven her body is just better suited to it due to her reach and center of gravity being different.

I thought the implications of Steven's strength was
    not that he has super strength, but that he's leveraging his weight shifting powers to move heavy things.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Steven's strength

not that he has super strength, but that he's leveraging his weight shifting powers to move heavy things.
    that might explain it. After all, having a boat dropped on him didn't make him fall any faster in Steven Floats.

Steven's strength

Its possible but he's struggled with lifting things before. Rose "hacking" her gravity auto correct would be right up her alley though

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

Steven's strength

he's still gonna hit you real hard, even if he's actually doing it with his mind

Steven's strength

Its possible but he's struggled with lifting things before. Rose "hacking" her gravity auto correct would be right up her alley though
    the weight shift explanation wouldn't be at odds with Steven having had trouble lifting things in the past. His powers haven't always worked perfectly in the past. Especially not the ones he doesn't yet know about.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Regardless what they do with Jasper, the single coolest moment will be
    When she stops calling Steven Rose and acknowledges him as his own person

the first thing I thought about with that was Viral learning that he hasn't been fighting Kamina. That kind of moment is worth waiting for, indeed.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Vegeta still calls him Kakarot doesn't he

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Vegeta still calls him Kakarot doesn't he

That's a little different

Doesn't he

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    edited August 2016
    He does. To Vegeta, Goku's Saiyan heritage is profoundly important, so he thinks of him in terms of his Saiyan identity, rather than his earthling name.

Such a thing could still happen with Jasper towards Steven (like, even when she learns who and what he is, she still calls him "Rose" because humans and human identities are unimportant to her), but I think she still thinks Steven is his mother.

Enlong on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Gem Hunt
    I really wonder how Jasper is finding these corrupted gems. The CG's know because of Garnet's Future Sight, but Jasper doesn't have anything like that. Maybe some sort of resonance with other Jaspers?

Crack the Whip
    Did anyone else think it was awesome that Stephen can generate multiple shields, and he can throw them at his enemies? Very Captain America-esque. We've seen the other gems produce duplicates of their weapons, but not Stephen to this point.

Yeah, he's getting a lot stronger. Remember when he got exhausted from making 3 shields in 1 day?

Gem Hunt
    I really wonder how Jasper is finding these corrupted gems. The CG's know because of Garnet's Future Sight, but Jasper doesn't have anything like that. Maybe some sort of resonance with other Jaspers?
    That's what was my thought, based on the gemshape/hair those things were corrupted jaspers.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Is bubbling a universal power

Have we ever seen a home world gem do it?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Is bubbling a universal power

Have we ever seen a home world gem do it?

i'm going to guess
    no, because when they captured the crystal gems in the return they could have bubbled all of them, but instead they were put into those holding cells.

all cluster gems could do it

CD World Tour status:
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    guys i broke into steven universe and found a leak from the jasper redemption arc
    22e.png

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular

I'm wondering

when she understands what steven is, will she go as crazy for babies as she has for fusion?

mayor dewey goes to the gem house to take pearl some flowers and gets roundly rebuffed

just then jasper busts up through the floorboards

MAYOR DEWEY

I HAVE A PROPOSAL

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Oh man oh man can you imagine a sitcom with Buck having to deal with his new "buff mom?"

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Maybe it's an error but my DVR doesn't have a new episode scheduled for this friday.

Gundi wrote: »
    Oh man oh man can you imagine a sitcom with Buck having to deal with his new "buff mom?"
    "Haha, look at me now Rose! I'm even a better mother than you! I'm taking my 'son' to 'school'!"

BlueBlue wrote: »
    all cluster gems could do it

They had to be taught.

Gem hunt
    Im guessing Jasper is physically hunting gem beasts down based on battle sites and settlements she recalls from the war.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    "Uhhhhh this is an elementary schoo-"

"QUIET! YOU WILL LEARN AND HAVE SUPERIOR THAN AVERAGE PROSPECTS FOR YOUR FUTURE!"

Oh also apropos of nothing but happy "First Case of Phoenix Wright" day. (It happened today.)

Poor miss Stone.

• GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    God... leave it to my husband to ruin Stevonnie for me.

He posed some questions this morning: How awkward would it get if Steven started dating other girls when he got older? Would he and Connie still be able to fuse? Would they still want to? Would he be able to fuse with those other girls?

I am so salty about this. The man just can't resist injecting realism into a perfectly fine cartoon show about alien gem women and their nephew.

GoldenSeducer on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, he's getting a lot stronger. Remember when he got exhausted from making 3 shields in 1 day?
    He certainly seems to be getting more of a workout with his powers.

However, making a shield big enough for the entire group is a much bigger strain that he hasn't had to do in a while that we've seen.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm getting caught up, I left off on Peridot's log date, and I have one thing to say:

Fuck Kevin

CYpGAPn.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    jasper will fuse with kevin

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Maybe it's an error but my DVR doesn't have a new episode scheduled for this friday.

I don't believe we're getting one.

According to wikipedia, The last few episodes of the season will be aired next week, monday through wednesday.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

He posed some questions this morning: How awkward would it get if Steven started dating other girls when he got older? Would he and Connie still be able to fuse? Would they still want to? Would he be able to fuse with those other girls?

I am so salty about this. The man just can't resist injecting realism into a perfectly fine cartoon show about alien gem women and their nephew.
    Steven could undoubtably fuse with any human with whom had a suffuciently (and mutually) intimate personal relationship. The degree to which he conflates fusion-intimacy and romantic or sexual intimacy would be wholly subjective on the part of himself and his partner(s). The nature of platonic and romantic intimacy is complicated even under normal circumstances.

Of course, the point is moot, because Steven and Connie will get married and then Connie will be elected president. That's just canon, there.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

I don't believe we're getting one.

According to wikipedia, The last few episodes of the season will be aired next week, monday through wednesday.

Already? :(

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Man, after binging the first two seasons in one swoop, I don't think I can really deal with the one 11-minute episode a week schedule. Maybe save them up and bomb on them all at once?

(That answer is no, probably not.)

none of that actually has to be bad

if steven starts seeing other people he probably isn't going to be doing it on the sly while maintaining the pretense of a monogamous romantic relationship with connie, so that doesn't have to be awkward at all

and the rest just depends on how they feel about each other, same as it ever was

edited August 2016

Steven's strength

I would argue
    That Stevonnie having a more adult body gives them significantly greater raw strength than Steven has by himself.

Also I wouldn't say Stevonnie defeated Jasper, exactly. They certainly embarrassed her, but all they actually did was poof her one remaining ally, leaving Jasper alone to fight Stevonnie, Amethyst, and Lion.

Jasper went into that fight expecting an easy win, and that's the opposite of what happened.

That was a tactical retreat, not her limping away to lick her wounds.

Goatmon on

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Well I guess this episode answered my question.

Also wow
    Amythist being mature enough to see her own self sabotage.

And oh they are leaning into the handicapped metaphor.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Anyway, some extremely heavy dialogue this episode.
    "You could've been me! But what are you instead?"

Yeah I was actually thinking for a moment
    That after amethyst got poofed, she'd come back all huge and buff like Rose and Jasper.

Unfortunately
    I don't think she can be more than she is, physically.

It's like in Reformed. She is who she is; she can't really warp her size, without throwing herself out of whack.

And to be fair, none of the crew can really fight Jasper 1-1.

The only two gems that have stood their ground in a fight with her are both fusions.

The only other gem on their team that can really beat Amethyst in a fight is Pearl, who has spent thousands of years regularly training and keeping herself honed.

Amethyst is just really down from all this because Jasper hit her where it really hurts.

And her self-esteem isn't exactly great to begin with.
    i didn't really take that particular lesson from Reformed. It's close, but what I got from it was 'don't try to be a certain way just to please other people, but think about how YOU want to look. It's why regenerating seemed to take more time for Pearl than Amethyst, even when she was doing it for real. Knowing what you really want often requires a lot of self-reflection and contemplation

This discussion has been closed.