New [Steven Universe] episodes starting July 18

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Why waste the cool new commercial break transitions if Bismuth won't turn around and be a regular cast member?
    its very much part of the fakeout
    It's also very anime.
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Why waste the cool new commercial break transitions if Bismuth won't turn around and be a regular cast member?
    its very much part of the fakeout
    It's also very anime.
    I think it might be specifically modeled after the Sailor Moon eyecatch

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Bismuth
    Man, this ep really doesn't put Rose in a good light.

Like no matter where you fall on the moral stuff it's real fucked up to imprison her even after you're in a place where she can't hurt you and then lie to everyone else when you could have probably just told them the truth?

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    "usually when I meet a new gem, they try to kill me first"

:(

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Bismuth

Like no matter where you fall on the moral stuff it's real fucked up to imprison her even after you're in a place where she can't hurt you and then lie to everyone else when you could have probably just told them the truth?

"I always thought I might be bad
    now I'm sure that it's true
    cause I think you're so good
    and I'm nothing like you"

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Bismuth

Bismuth was probably not the only one wanting to go that far. Rose wouldn't want any infighting in her army.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
    Bismuth
    Man I really don't like the decision to bubble Bismuth, that doesn't sit right with me.
    I don't really like it either but I'm not really sure what other option they had

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm suddenly having a flashback to We Need To Talk.

Greg: "I know so little about you!"
    Rose: "That's a good thing."

I always figured there was some hidden guilt behind that line. Now I know what it was, precisely.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Bismuth
    Man I really don't like the decision to bubble Bismuth, that doesn't sit right with me.
    I don't really like it either but I'm not really sure what other option they had
    it's the nonlethal "jail" option, batman would approve. It didn't seem like there was anyway to talk her down, and she was perfectly willing to murder steven

I don't see any other way out short of breaking her gem.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
    Then at least tell people! Like Pearl and Garnet are obviously heartbroken over most of the war so what purpose does it serve to go "Oh yeah I lost track of her, she may have been captured or killed."

2ohWien.png
    Then at least tell people! Like Pearl and Garnet are obviously heartbroken over most of the war so what purpose does it serve to go "Oh yeah I lost track of her, she may have been captured or killed."
    oh are we talking about steven or rose?

Yeah it's fucked up that rose lied about it

Sorry, what rose did was super, super wrong

I'm talking about what steven did

edited August 2016
    Any number of not-quite-rational reasons could be the answer to why she never told them. Fear and guilt likely primary among them.

Edit: which is not to say it was right.

Enlong on
    edited August 2016
    more about that:
    So a lot of the stuff in Lion's mane pocket dimension are essentially keepsakes that she wanted to pass on to steven (her sword, the videotape, etc).

Why leave bismuth in there too? Something she didn't want anyone ever to find out about? Why force Steven to potentially have to reap what she sowed some day?

Alucard6986 on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

steven's already been starting to clue in to the fact that rose maybe wasn't the infallible leader the other gems believe her to be, and I'm really eager to see how he responds to this whole thing in the coming episodes

for that matter, I want to know how the gems are going react, especially pearl

edit: and fuck, does he even TELL greg how he feels about his mom now?

TheySlashThem on
    more about that:
    So a lot of the stuff in Lion's mane pocket dimension are essentially keepsakes that she wanted to pass on to steven (her sword, the videotape, etc).

Why leave bismuth in there too? Something she didn't want anyone ever to find out about? Why force Steven to have to reap what she sowed?
    remember how when steven learned that he could heal things, the other gems said rose could never hear the corrupted gems, but that maybe he could?

Maybe rose thought steven could talk her out of it

edited August 2016
    more about that:

Why leave bismuth in there too? Something she didn't want anyone ever to find out about? Why force Steven to potentially have to reap what she sowed some day?
    Maybe... Maybe she thought Steven would be better than her, and convince Bismuth in a way that she couldn't conceive of. Maybe she hoped that Homeworld would never return, and that when Bismuth was found, she'd never have to consider the Breaking Point again.

Or maybe she simply believed that Steven would have a chance to be Bismuth's friend, whereas she could never again, after what happened. So she put Bismuth somewhere that Steven would be able to find, so that Bismuth could one day be freed, after Rose was gone from the world.

Maybe... I just can't say for sure.

Enlong on
    edited August 2016

steven's already been starting to clue in to the fact that rose maybe wasn't the infallible leader the other gems believe her to be, and I'm really eager to see how he responds to this whole thing in the coming episodes

for that matter, I want to know how the gems are going react, especially pearl

edit: and fuck, does he even TELL greg how he feels about his mom now?
    I don't know how they're ever going to do the final greg and rose episode...the one about steven's birth where she neglects to mention to the gems or greg that creating steven will destroy her probably until the last second

When we first saw the two of them on the tape you get the sense that Greg had no idea what was coming, I don't see how he could have possibly agreed to it if he knew it would kill her.

Alucard6986 on
    oh are we talking about steven or rose?

Yeah it's fucked up that rose lied about it

Oh okay, sorry for the confusion.
    I really love the concept that Bismuth laid out which is "you're not Rose, you're better then her."

Man

2ohWien.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Bismuth
    No Lapis. But I guess that can wait until later.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Bismuth
    No Lapis. But I guess that can wait until later.
    yeah I'd imagine the window remains quite open to bismuth showing up again.

maybe sooner rather than later if Jasper figures out bubble prison has more gems in one place than anywhere on the planet

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Re: Bismuth:
    Recall that she seems to be the one to sucker-punch Lapis Lazuli. I bet that would've been awkward slash will be fundamental to a redemption arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qO8gXvb1Io

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Damn, so much spoilers. I need to watch this.

They're not Xaviering Rose, are they?

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    What is Xaviering

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I assume a reference to
    how Professor X became more and more morally dubious as the X-Men comics went on?

NeoToma wrote: »
    What is Xaviering
    fswlKLa.jpg

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Not really related but I fould a super clean version of Steven's ringtone from Full Disclosure. And now my phone has a ringtone again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyri9ukx8f3flst/stevens_ringtone.mp3?dl=0

edited August 2016
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I assume a reference to
    how Professor X became more and more morally dubious as the X-Men comics went on?
    more?
    From X-Men #4
    ProfessorX_6.jpg

Gvzbgul on
    edited August 2016
    I thought in that case it's more that literally every guy in that panel is in love with jean grey, the old incarnation of her is kind of the archetypal mary sue?

Alucard6986 on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Recall that she seems to be the one to sucker-punch Lapis Lazuli. I bet that would've been awkward slash will be fundamental to a redemption arc.

could be that they're going to leave that as a nod to fans, but not address it.

Yeah, we know what happened with Bismuth and Lapis, but it could be those characters will never cross paths.

No I don't.
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    About what happened in the past:
    I can understand why Rose did what she did. I'm sure she had plans to release Bismuth after the final battle and then the Diamonds nuked everything with their corruption-light. Now Rose is left with the nagging question if this could have been all avoided if she did take the Breaking Point and I'm guessing the idea that maybe been it could have avoided ate at her so much that she just couldn't face Bismuth or even let Pearl or Garnet know what happened.

Mind you, I personally don't see how the Breaking Point would have been an actual game-changer in a fight. I feel like Bismuth might have been putting too much stock on it's power and the weight of it's threat when it comes to using it on at least the elite Homeworld Gems and the Diamonds in particular. I think if anything it would have had a worse effect on the Crystal Gem army if there were more close to sharing Bismuth's thoughts on permanently taking down the Homeworld Gems.

Garthor wrote: »

could be that they're going to leave that as a nod to fans, but not address it.

Yeah, we know what happened with Bismuth and Lapis, but it could be those characters will never cross paths.
    it's super conspicuous that they showed the exact design of Bismuth before we even met her, there's no way that doesn't get followed up on

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    "Who's BOSS"

"CRYSTAL GEMS" *flex*

I'd make a new avatar but I'll refrain for a few weeks to not spoil folks.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I thought in that case it's more that literally every guy in that panel is in love with jean grey, the old incarnation of her is kind of the archetypal mary sue?

A Mary Sue is a super-capable author-insert character, I don't think she fits that description at all.

Centipede Damascus on
    Also uh:
    I kind of agree with Bismuth. (On her original point, not acting crazy in the present.) Not wanting to kill is admirable, but I mean, they were fighting a war. And potentially because of Rose's choice almost every crystal gem essentially "died."

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    more about that:

Why leave bismuth in there too? Something she didn't want anyone ever to find out about? Why force Steven to have to reap what she sowed?
    remember how when steven learned that he could heal things, the other gems said rose could never hear the corrupted gems, but that maybe he could?

Maybe rose thought steven could talk her out of it

Based on the babysitter episode I think
    Righting the wrongs she couldnt is exactly why she made Steven. She saw her flaws even if the others didn't. She wanted to grow and improve. She also probably wanted a clean slate.

Come to think of it that line is a really good explanation for why the CG's stay the same for thousands of years but change so rapidly now. They alone CANT change. Humanity changes them but they avoid that as best as they can until Steven.

Help me raise a little cash for my transition costs
    https://gofund.me/fa5990a5
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Couple of Bismuth things
    It makes sense to me that Pearl and Garnet never mentioned her. The crystal gems during the rebellion is starting to feel like an actual army, most of which were apparently shattered. Not only is it difficult to talk about, but according to Rose, she was just another casualty.

I can completely sympathize with Bismuth wanting to use the Breaking Point. Just look at the name. Watching your friends die beside you, not everyone is strong enough to forever turn the other cheek. Everyone has their...you know.

I also don't think we've seen the last of her. Most of what angered her towards Rose was just stashing her away then lying about it. Steven didn't do that. He was always honest to and about her, and I feel like that will go a long way.

Also also uh:
    I don't agree with bubbling her indefinitely. Like yeah she's super strong but if Steven was there with his bubble shield, and with Garnet, Amethyst, & Pearl, I'm sure they could talk to her in relative safety. Bismuth's not crazy, she just like literally woke up from an incredibly awful war. I'm, like, certain that Pearl, Garnet, Amethyst, and Steven could eventually talk some sense in her.

And I don't even disagree with her about wanting to take the fight to homeworld to try and free other gems what seems to be a pretty shitty caste-based society. Steven and the gems probably wouldn't help her, Earth really is their home and where they've decided their responsibilities lie, but if she wants to try all on her own? I mean, I'm pretty sure that so long as homeworld is making more gems they are causing far, far more death than Bismuth ever could. It's a moral grey area but, I mean, Bismuth has pretty convincing reasoning. And Steven, who neither lived in gem society nor lived through the gem war doesn't really have the right to judge her.

Like, if they could just convince Bismuth to not attack Steven or any other gem on Earth, they really don't have a basis for keeping her captive anymore. And I'm pretty sure they could do that.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    kasper
    promo for next week's episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_7onub_l4

yooooooo is that the leg of a new fusion

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Bismuth

I am assuming
    When Bismuth was last poofed, there were a lot of crystal gems at the time that would have potentially agreed with using a weapon that could shatter another gem, and Rose didn't want that idea to gain momentum.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.