As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voting

1235»

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Ladai wrote: »
    I hate that Pennsylvania has elected Supreme Court justices, and hate even more that the candidates run as Democrats and Republicans.

But I have no illusions. This court is likely going to be ruling on gun control, voter ID laws and public education funding sometime in the near future.

I held my nose and voted a straight Democratic ticket, and I'm glad they won.

Edit: Also, I literally gasped when I heard that Tea Party guy won the gubernatorial race in Kentucky. That state has one of the most successful Obamacare exchanges in the country, and, as far as I know, it is very popular there, and the guy who just became governor has pledged to basically dismantle it. Depressing result in Houston, too.

Someone mentioned that Wasserman-Schultz is a terrible DNC chair earlier in the thread and after last night I'm inclined to agree.

The DNC needs to take a good long look at the 50 state strategy Howard Dean set up when the dems took the senate in 06. They've just given up on so many midterm and off-year elections and it's disgusting. I mean look at what happened with the Mississippi gov race for an example of how the party just isn't even trying at all.

boy it sure is weird that everything went pear shaped after 2008. Oh wait what happened between 2008 and 2010? Citizens United vs FEC?

I bet that has nothing to do with it.

Oh I know Citizen's United is bullshit, but that doesn't excuse the complete lack of effort by the DNC.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The library levy failed so they won't be able to cover their budget. Fuck this city.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    seattle passed a public election funding initiative, a public transportation levy, and a police oversight initiative

and we maaaaaay get another pro-tenant council member, depending on how things shake out in west seattle

overall not bad, but it would have been nice to get rid of fucking Tim Burgess

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    And even more unfortunately (for me, personally) I live right near Rochester. Not in the city itself, I'm in a somewhat more rural locale, but it's still pretty close.

I live in Rochester proper, and I never saw any proper ads or anything honestly, I saw some yard signs including one on east ave that's like... enormous and made out of two by fours and a tarp for some reason

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    they keep getting passed because it's common sense legislation that makes it difficult for the state to do something that nobody likes
    I mean, I like it when state taxes get raised. More than the alternative, at least.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Canadian politics update: Our new Prime Minister and his Cabinet Ministers were sworn in today.

"I understand that one of the priorities for you was to have a cabinet that was gender-balanced. Why was that so important to you?"
    "Because it's 2015."
    JustinShrug.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    oh and none of our 3(!) Ministers with science and environment related portfolios (Environment and Climate Change/Innovation, Science and Economic Development/Science) are creationists or climate-change deniers. That's cool too.

Oh and our new Minister of Justice/Attorney General is an aboriginal woman. To quote a comment I saw on that,
    As should be obvious if you look at Canadian history, our government has had a terrible record of treating aboriginal people unjustly. This appointment is poetic justice (as well as actual justice, we hope).

It is really weird feeling this optimistic about my country you guys.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Some good news from the election:

Here in Philly we passed a public question making the Office of LGBT Affairs (created in 2008 by Gov. Michael Nutter) a permanent part of the city charter, so no future mayor can rescind it. Even though that's pretty unlikely in the short-term, since the new governor we just elected yesterday was the guy who, as a city council member, introduced and help pass an LGBT rights bill (which, among many other things, requires all new city construction to provide gender-neutral bathrooms).

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Ladai wrote: »
    Some good news from the election:

Here in Philly we passed a public question making the Office of LGBT Affairs (created in 2008 by Gov. Michael Nutter) a permanent part of the city charter, so no future mayor can rescind it. Even though that's pretty unlikely in the short-term, since the new governor we just elected yesterday was the guy who, as a city council member, introduced and help pass an LGBT rights bill (which, among many other things, requires all new city construction to provide gender-neutral bathrooms).

The margin was far too close compared to the mayoral election and shows how people still aren't as accepting as they should be, but hey, a win is a win.

Also mayor nutter :)

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    oh and none of our 3(!) Ministers with science and environment related portfolios (Environment and Climate Change/Innovation, Science and Economic Development/Science) are creationists or climate-change deniers. That's cool too.

Oh and our new Minister of Justice/Attorney General is an aboriginal woman. To quote a comment I saw on that,
    As should be obvious if you look at Canadian history, our government has had a terrible record of treating aboriginal people unjustly. This appointment is poetic justice (as well as actual justice, we hope).

it's pretty impressive

ain't no way we'd be able to get a Sikh anywhere near that level of office in the US

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Fearghaill wrote: »

it's pretty impressive

ain't no way we'd be able to get a Sikh anywhere near that level of office in the US

There were actually 3 Sikhs appointed to the cabinet today - one other practising, the other non-religious, who actually spent 2 years as a political prisoner in India when he went back to visit and advocate for human rights/against fundamentalism and was accused of (but never charged with) terrorism.

also our new Minister of Democratic Institutions came to Canada as a refugee from Afghanistan as a child which is also cool as heck

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Other cool details from the start of our new government today:

Respect and recognition of Canada's First Nations people was right up front. A 12-year old drummer from the Potawatami/Cree nation led Trudeau and the ministers into the ballroom for the swearing-in, the ceremony started by recognizing that it was taking place on land traditionally belonging to the Algonquin peoples, a pair of 11-year old Inuit throat-singers performed between Trudeau's swearing-in and the cabinet's, and a Métis Prarie fire dance to end the ceremony.

our Minister for Sport and Persons with Disabilities is herself a former Paralympic athlete and human rights lawyer

the Minister of Health is actually a doctor, and one that has worked in Niger, with Doctors Without Borders, and helped create Ethiopia's first family medicine training program

did I mention we actually have a Minister of the Environment and Climate Change? The previous government lumped the entire science portfolio in with the Minister of Industry

the Ministry of Immigration and Citizenship was renamed to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship which kinda indicates a change in policy as well

our Minister of Transport is an astronaut

I watched the ceremony as it was streamed live today and was smiling the whole dang time

edit: also the throat-singers were adorable as heck:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBg1vfe8P1g

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    seattle passed a public election funding initiative, a public transportation levy, and a police oversight initiative

and we maaaaaay get another pro-tenant council member, depending on how things shake out in west seattle

overall not bad, but it would have been nice to get rid of fucking Tim Burgess

My union endorsed and I voted for Grant; at least with Burgess again we don't lose a position to a far right candidate. Just more of the same.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So what you're telling me is I should move to Canada?

• Options
    I mean, he's just been sworn in and named his cabinet so far, the next 4 years will show what he actually does

but the nice thing about being a parliamentary democracy is that him winning with a majority government means he has a really solid mandate to deliver on all of his promises over the next 4 years, and very few things to stop him. It's not like the US where you can get a Democrat president and a Republican-controlled Congress or Senate that then proceeds to block as much as they possibly can - we have a Liberal Prime Minister that only needs to convince his own party to vote for his bills and they will pass the House of Commons, and our Senate is a weird entity that is supposed to be non-political (due to lifetime appointments) and rarely blocks bills that pass the house.

tl;dr unless Trudeau was straight-up lying about what he wants to do as Prime Minister, we should see a lot of positive changes up here over the next four years.