As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come for the sides, stay for the [Thanksgiving]

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
edited November 2015 in Social Entropy++
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN!

The poor neglected holiday between Halloween and Christmas (that I've seen displays for since the back to school stuff went away .... ) is called Thanksgiving!

In the early 1600s, a bunch of pilgrims feasted together with the Native Americans who they hadn't yet killed with disease or guns and gave thanks to god for providing them a bountiful new land to steal. They feasted on eel and corn and cod and venison and wild turkeys and (had they the means to do so) French's French Fried Onions.

Or something like that.

Either way, it doesn't matter now! Now we celebrate Thanksgiving as a reason to eat the best meal of the entire year and to watch the Lions lose!

I LOVE THANKSGIVING!

Turkey! with Roasted Root Vegetables!
dnw9grnuh0i1.jpg

Mashed Potatoes! Preferably with Rosemary, Pancetta, and as much Butter and Cream as possible!
uhdurn565ddn.jpg

Stuffing! with Sausage!
k93rzi8u7jvm.jpg

Gravy! Onion Sage Gravy! (This goes on everything) (or just get a big bowl or glass and drink it down. No one will judge you and if they do, oh well)
e5mhyt0lxt3s.jpg

Peas and Pearl Onions!
3cv4pp22m7is.jpg

Green Beans and Bacon! Crisp that Bacon up and dump it on!
a3ivtp65xhth.jpg

Corn Bread with Butter and Honey!
3nade1ol0hqf.jpg

French's Onions! ONE CONTAINER PER PERSON!
42zvxk6d1k28.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!
Thanksgiving Day calories do not count

but you know .... while Thanksgiving is primarily for eating food and looking the other way in the face of historical accuracy, it's also about giving thanks for the things you're thankful for. For example, I'm thankful for having two wonderful sons, a loving family, a fantastic girlfriend, good friends, and for all you forumers.

I am also thankful for Arlo Guthrie's Thanksgiving Day Masacree in four part harmony!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

I'm thankful for the Lions losing record at home on turkey day

I'm especially thankful for MST3k Turkey Day marathons! Tell Joel what to play this year!

but mostly, I'm thankful for French's French Fried Onions and the people I refuse to share them with.

So .... Thanksgiving plans anyone?

Xaquin on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Lousy Smarch weather!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have no idea why that's the first thing I thought of..

• Options
    take that attitude to some other holiday! Unless you're thankful for the Smarch weather!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lousy Smarch weather!

It's actually been in the 70s in ohio the past few days.

• Options
    It's been in the 60s here which is crazy for November.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Macy's thanksgiving day parade is comiiiiiiiiing

I love it so much

Even the terrible broadway show previews

Even Al Roker

especially Al Roker

• Options
    4 day weekend for Thanksgiving.

• Options
    I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing this year.

I had the boys last year, but they're with their mom this year. I'm not sure when/if my family is doing anything.

If need be, I'll cook all that food and eat it myself!

• Options
    I have 3 4 day weekends coming up. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Macy's day parade is comiiiiiing

http://youtu.be/N9iYkJGyj-w

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    I like turkey.

I kinda want to try a deep fried one though. :(

Also @Butler For Life #1 tell bugboy to check his pms on here I could use a crawly identified.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I have lit the BugBoy signal!

(The BugBoy signal is a lamp that many moths are fluttering around)

• Options
    My mom won some contest .... the prize?

A tur-duck-en! (sp?)

so I have to figure out how to cook one ....

I'm kind of scared and kind of excited!

what do they do with the bones anyway? Are they just kind of mashed in there?

I'm also making cornbread with honey and butter (home made butter!!!)

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna make some bread from scratch this year. I haven't done that in a long time. What to make though...

• Options
    I think I'm gonna make some bread from scratch this year. I haven't done that in a long time. What to make though...

Cinnamon bread

This is my favorite recipe

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/homemade-cinnamon-bread/

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    We bought a house in April so now most of my wife's family is coming and we are hosting Thanksgiving.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

Cinnamon bread

This is my favorite recipe

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/homemade-cinnamon-bread/

That does look pretty darn tasty...

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    My mom texted me to let me know that we're doing her side of the family for lunch and my dad's side of the family for dinner. The joys of having most of your extended family living in a single community. I'm gonna have leftovers for a week.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hooray Thanksgiving! I'm smoking a couple turkeys this year and I'm damned excited for it. I practiced on a chicken this weekend and it was the most amazing chicken I've ever had. Doing a practice turkey in a couple weekends to make sure I bring my A game on the big day.

So what I'm saying is that for me, November is the month of smoked deliciousness.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I suppose I should figure out what I'm doing this thanksgiving besides working.

Drafthouse had a pretty decent Thanksgiving dinner last year, guess I could do that again.

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I just want to eat Yorkshire pudding and watch football all day, can't wait!

Edit: Does that make me less American?

cornell on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I cannot wait for Thanksgiving Dinner because that means barbecued turkey!!! Thanksgiving is the best.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    cornell wrote: »
    I just want to eat Yorkshire pudding and watch football all day, can't wait!

Edit: Does that make me less American?

There is no food discrimination on Thanksgiving!

The Thanksgiving during my divorce, I was in no mood to be social or see anyone or give thanks for anything. Thanksgiving, however, means good food. So I made sweet potato fries, and a MASSIVE burger with thick cut cheese, crispy bacon, carmelized onions, and a fried egg!

It wasn't a half bad Thanksgiving after all!

• Options
    Do I want to make bread, though... Or bread pudding?

• Options
    (no one in my family likes the turkey skin either and they think i'm weird for eating it but turkey skin off the bbq is divine)

• Options

Either

Or both!

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all time.

It's like Christmas, but for everyone.

Anyway, my family's contribution to the culinary world is our sausage stuffing. It is probably my favorite food on Earth. It looks like mushy gray matter, but tastes like Heaven wrapped in Eden. My maternal great grandmother first came up with the recipe, and my grandmother and her three sisters, as they grew up and had their own kids, all went on to come up with their own versions. However, all of them claimed to have the "authentic" version their mother made. The recipe then was passed down to my mom's generation (basically mom and her cousin). My mom makes it my grandmother's way, and her cousin makes it her mother's way. Everyone makes their own version and brings it to Thanksgiving dinner and jokingly/not jokingly asks who made it better. This means there are at least three to four batches of stuffing on our table, and leftovers are scarce.

I had been trying to get the recipe for years, starting in my 20s. I would ask my grandmother, but she would always just change the subject. Finally, two years ago, she gave it to me. She died a year later.

Me and mom are gonna make the stuffing for Thanksgiving this year. I think grandma would've liked that.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    sausage stuffing is one of the best foods ever made

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

Bread pudding all the way. Mix in some white chocolate, some dried cherries soaked in amaretto...

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    ARE YOU READY?

DBAlA45.png

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Family is requesting that I make a chicken this year instead of a turkey, but I've never done a Thanksgiving chicken.

Any tips?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Ignore them, make turkey

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ignore them, make turkey

Then write "Chicken" on the turkey in sharpie.

• Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Family is requesting that I make a chicken this year instead of a turkey, but I've never done a Thanksgiving chicken.

Any tips?

preheat over to 450

stuff the cavity with cut up apple and maybe sage or thyme sprigs

rub sage infused butter under the skin and crack pepper and salt on top of the skin. Truss up the legs and fold the wings close in to the body so they don't get burnt.

Bake it on top of cut up sweet potatoes, onion, and carrots for an hour (4 lb bird) or a bit more .... until the juices run clear

Take er out and let rest for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I've been looking forward to this thanksgiving for months now.

I just moved to Phoenix this past May, and I've been doing the solo thing for awhile. I have a bunch of folks that decided to fly in:
    -My Fiancee!
    -Her Mom
    -My Parents
    -My Sister

Also, my future Brother in law and his girlfriend are long distance driving to get here, so I'll have a lot of folks here. Super excited to see them all.

I haven't decided on whether to cook them ham or turkey.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The only local family I have with any kind of culinary abilities is my sister-in-law, but she's from Mexico, and can't be compelled to give a crap about our American stealing-the-continent-from-the-natives holiday. So we just go to Chuck-a-Rama, which is a western buffet franchise that's an incremental step up from Golden Corral and the like. Then, after we have gorged ourself to a satisfactory degree, we leave an enormous tip for the staff and go home to play whatever online game is currently serving as the primary communication nexus for all the siblings scattered further afield (GW2 last year, probably Destiny this year).

This event is semi-secret, in that there are definitely family members within convenient travel distance who aren't invited, and whose invitations I would refuse if they hosted their own gathering. But rather than make drama out of it, I just lie that I'm on call for work on Thanksgiving in order to guarantee Christmas off. And then tell the same lie on Christmas, that I'm trying to earn New Years Eve... and on New Years Eve, pretend that I have a date, when I'm actually weeping alone in my basement apartment. But my company is actually pretty great about holidays, and none of those events are actually work days.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    It is SO WEIRD that you guys celebrate Thanksgiving in November.

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

It's in my heart year round though!

As well as most of my arteries and padded around the sides of my stomach and the small (haha moar liek LARGE) of my back

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Look, without Thanksgiving, November would just be this bleak and barren stretch of nothing between Halloween and Christmas. We need Thanksgiving in the same way we need Valentines Day to get us through the doldrums of February.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular

Look, without Thanksgiving, November would just be this bleak and barren stretch of nothing between Halloween and Christmas. We need Thanksgiving in the same way we need Valentines Day to get us through the doldrums of February.

If it wasn't for Thanksgiving's placement in November, the amount of Christmas hype spillover immediately following Halloween would be even more ridiculous than it is now.

It isn't a perfect bulwark, but Thanksgiving is doing a heroic job of keeping Christmas decorations and advertisements (mostly) confined to December. Once Thanksgiving is over, the floodgates open and the yuletide deluge begins.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg