Options

[Fallout] This thread overrun by Caesar's Legion. Go find a new one.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That said as far as mods go. You really should be able ro remove them without needing a replacement mod.

I can see why though, because if you take off the receiver, the gun isn't really gonna work anymore. Gotta have something in there to retain the item working. Would be nice.

There just needs to be a simple "dismantle" option (alongside the "scrap" option) that gives you the mods and trashes the rest.

I think it is beyond silly that a scope is permanently attached to a rifle when you're out in the field. At any time I should be able to take off my recon scope and put on a nightvision or reflex sight or whatever I want. Considering all that went into the mod and crafting system this seems like an enormous oversight.

The first Crysis game had a better weapon modding system a year before FO3 was released. Not only was the interface infinitely better, you could also pull bits off of guns you found in the field to put on your preferred current weapon. It all worked realtime and was pretty smooth.

Vastly better than the clunky crap mod system here. There really is no good reason you couldn't just "destroy" a firearm for it's major components, other than the game trying to force the player to collect more junk to allow part swapping.

dude we get it you don't like the game. you've been a big loud misery guest just like a handful of others in this thread. You have not had one single positive thing to say about anything. Why the fuck you paid $60 so you could angrily post on the internet about how fucking awful it is I will never know. No one is holding a goddamn gun to your head forcing you to play. You can get a refund on Steam so do it and quit being so motherfucking tiresome.

edit @surrealitycheck the wasteland gods demand you roleplay a post-apocalyptic reboot of Roadhouse

Yeah @Ninja Snarl P Why aren't you a goddamn future seer? huh? HUH?

Yeah, I know, fuck me for thinking Bethesda might pull another Skyrim and make something great and amazing with Fallout instead of gutting the shit out of a bunch of the stuff I liked and leaving a mediocre loot-driven shooter in its place. How couldn't I have known ahead of time that they would do a half-assed job of copying a bunch of stuff a million other games do ten times better and throwing away much of what even makes the setting entertaining to explore?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Anyone know what the AP bonus is for the Ultra-light upgrade for armor? I chose UL over Deeppockets because of the AP bonus but when I go into VATS I am not feeling like I have any more points than usual.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    That said as far as mods go. You really should be able ro remove them without needing a replacement mod.

I can see why though, because if you take off the receiver, the gun isn't really gonna work anymore. Gotta have something in there to retain the item working. Would be nice.

There just needs to be a simple "dismantle" option (alongside the "scrap" option) that gives you the mods and trashes the rest.

I think it is beyond silly that a scope is permanently attached to a rifle when you're out in the field. At any time I should be able to take off my recon scope and put on a nightvision or reflex sight or whatever I want. Considering all that went into the mod and crafting system this seems like an enormous oversight.

The first Crysis game had a better weapon modding system a year before FO3 was released. Not only was the interface infinitely better, you could also pull bits off of guns you found in the field to put on your preferred current weapon. It all worked realtime and was pretty smooth.

Vastly better than the clunky crap mod system here. There really is no good reason you couldn't just "destroy" a firearm for it's major components, other than the game trying to force the player to collect more junk to allow part swapping.

dude we get it you don't like the game. you've been a big loud misery guest just like a handful of others in this thread. You have not had one single positive thing to say about anything. Why the fuck you paid $60 so you could angrily post on the internet about how fucking awful it is I will never know. No one is holding a goddamn gun to your head forcing you to play. You can get a refund on Steam so do it and quit being so motherfucking tiresome.

edit @surrealitycheck the wasteland gods demand you roleplay a post-apocalyptic reboot of Roadhouse

Yeah, I know, fuck me for thinking Bethesda might pull another Skyrim and make something great and amazing with Fallout instead of gutting the shit out of a bunch of the stuff I liked and leaving a mediocre loot-driven shooter in its place. How couldn't I have known ahead of time that they would do a half-assed job of copying a bunch of stuff a million other games do ten times better and throwing away much of what even makes the setting entertaining to explore?

Pretty much my position too.

We're angry because we had so much hope, that they could see the missteps of Fallout 3, learn from New Vegas, and make a solid Fallout game, and they failed to deliever us a fallout game in anything but name

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular

We're angry because we had so much hope, that they could see the missteps of Fallout 3, learn from New Vegas, and make a solid Fallout game, and they failed to deliever us a fallout game in anything but name

We must be playing two different games because this game looks and feels like Fallout.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

The game you're looking for is "Wasteland 2".

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Shamus wrote: »

We must be playing two different games because this game looks and feels like Fallout.

i feel like its an enjoyable wander but it doesnt feel much like fallout 1 and 2

the urban setting plus the colour palette plus the general feeling of everything... its quite diff

everything feels much smaller because its one big open world, for example

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular

i feel like its an enjoyable wander but it doesnt feel much like fallout 1 and 2

the urban setting plus the colour palette plus the general feeling of everything... its quite diff

the series hasn't been fallout 1/2 for a long time. Black Isle Studios is long gone. Every one of those employees was laid off. When Bethesda got the rights Pete Hines straight-up said they would not be releasing or using anything from Van Buren or what would have been Fallout 3. They did this despite the game being something like 80% finished.

Managed expectations, people.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

I know people are complaining about how this game world isn't very big, but I'm not sure I could handle it being much bigger. I'm level 20 and haven't moved south or east past Diamond City yet. There's a pretty hefty list of locations I've passed that I haven't explored yet.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Yeah the map doesn't look that big at first on the PipBoy but I've got SO much I've discovered and not actually gone inside yet because I'm busy doing other things. It's DENSE.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I hate to say it, but Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 came out 16-17 years ago.

It's time to move on.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    hippofant wrote: »

I know people are complaining about how this game world isn't very big, but I'm not sure I could handle it being much bigger. I'm level 20 and haven't moved south or east past Diamond City yet. There's a pretty hefty list of locations I've passed that I haven't explored yet.

this is correct, but that comes with open world structure

nobody actually wants a properly sized open world

the trick the f1 and f2 had going for them was the travel system, so you felt like everything was bigger - youd randomly pop out in uncharted wasteland and fight some nerds while moving around. the vaults and the labs felt wide and spacious because u couldnt see ceilings and the environments were laid out widely to make the iso perspective work, etc. these are technological considerations, but they affect perception

the point is not that it is necessarily better but it had a different feel. it is not surprising to me that some people say it doesnt feel like the original games to them... because it doesnt

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    also does anybody know if the haircut magazines let you get undercuts? there are all these npcs with sick ass undercuts and im stuck looking like 1950s housewife rip

Looks like there was going to be something, but it may be unused? http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/La_Coiffe

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    ONE GREAT THING ABOUT FALLOUT 4:

When I hit Esc and put it on the system menu, then go do stuff in other windows, the game does NOT consume a whole CPU/core just idling, like many other modern computer games.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I am critically low on ammo. Reasonable way to farm some? Or get high value items to barter for some?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Magus` wrote: »
    I am critically low on ammo. Reasonable way to farm some? Or get high value items to barter for some?

There's a perk for finding more ammo in the Luck tree.

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I'm contemplating an appropriate name for a male hero.
    Chip Whitley.

Your options are many.

I just want you to know, I used Rock PunchGroin, and my cogsworth refers to me a "Mr. Rock" in voice.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    [cleared] places can become uncleared

this just happened with the corvega plant

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    [cleared] places can become uncleared

this just happened with the corvega plant

Wait, is this reflected on the map? Holy shit that's fantastic. Places would respawn in Skyrim too but they always kept the cleared tag no matter what.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Does it really matter if something is a rifle or a pistol unless I had that perk?

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Does it really matter if something is a rifle or a pistol unless I had that perk?

What do you mean by 'matter'?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Has anyone found any decent unique shotguns? I want something to round out my 4 ammo types. Also do shotguns count as rifles?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Rifles have more range, pistols take up less AP.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Has anyone found any decent unique shotguns? I want something to round out my 4 ammo types. Also do shotguns count as rifles?

I think they are rifles unless you put an automatic receiver on them. If such a thing exists.

Do power fists count as melee or unarmed?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    LMFAO @ crysis having a better mod system. I guess you can afford to pretty up things a bit when you have a total of 3 or 4 weapons in the entire game.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

I think they are rifles unless you put an automatic receiver on them. If such a thing exists.

Do power fists count as melee or unarmed?
    Unarmed.

And auto receivers are definitely a thing for shotguns. They're ghoul slayers.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    also just tested: you can reload until you get idiot savant procs on your quest rewards - its not seeded, its a pure proc

also it multiplies with the well rested / just boned companion stuff

so if you are bored and want to REALLY get dat fatty xp... prepare for quickloads

10% chance of moron procs at 1int

just made it happen twice back to back on two quests at preston lel

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

Damage is the same. Ammo type is the same. So uh does it matter... Change literally anything.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Rifles have more range, pistols take up less AP.

Cool, thanks. Rifles hit longer vats shots even without scopes I think in messing around. That's about it as far as I can tell.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Damage is the same. Ammo type is the same. So uh does it matter... Change literally anything.

Disregarding perks, yes there's basically no difference between the two. The distinction only comes when you get the related perks involved.

That is, from a damage perspective. Functionally pistols and rifles have inherent differences like AP cost and I believe changing the weapon's class via mod does affect that.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

rifles do more bash damage and have more accuracy and tend to have better recoil properties

slower in vots

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    this game gets the fallout vibe pretty well

I'm very disappointed with a lot of the dialogue and quest endings, it feels like someone was standing over them with a stopwatch every time a line of dialogue was tested or they had something written down screaming "NO YOU IDIOTS, GAMERS WON'T WANT TO READ/LISTEN TO THAT MUCH"

when you get the newspaper that piper writes the entire thing is literally about 3 paragraphs long

this continues for the whole game, places where some more exposition or dialogue with an NPC really seem warranted have none.
    Oh you just wanted to hear that I'm from another vault? You don't want to talk about your problem?

Oh I found out what's fucking up your vault, can I tell you? No, oh okay, we have to progress the quest until the problem escalates because we wouldn't want to reward people who search nooks and crannies in a way that might exclude the people that don't read anything

override367 on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Yeah, wandering to a place instead of fast travel leads to many more fun discoveries and man there are a bunch of places you can find that aren't associated with the map marker things

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    also there's no dialogue whatsoever related to your character's perks or SPECIAL

interacting with scientists my character is just as a dumb with 11 int and all the science perks as someone who has 2 int and none

it's like Bethesda had a perfect game on their hands and had to have a team go in and fuck up significant aspects of it so it would meet their quality standards

override367 on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    also does anybody know if the haircut magazines let you get undercuts? there are all these npcs with sick ass undercuts and im stuck looking like 1950s housewife rip

Looks like there was going to be something, but it may be unused? http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/La_Coiffe

In the character creation, I went with the most 'bed-hair' look I could find, but later purchased a Pompadour Wig at a vendor that gives +1 Charisma. Oddly, rather than a Victorian socialite, it makes Mrs. Vaultsicle look like a slick corporate raider, which is still cool. And it stays on under a gas mask or helmet.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    i wonder if ghouls take bonus damage from shotguns, or if its that shotguns actually apply their damage multiple times via multi projectiles and ghouls have the lowest base damage reduction to ballistic in the game, so the per hit damage they get is vast

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »

In the character creation, I went with the most 'bed-hair' look I could find, but later purchased a Pompadour Wig at a vendor that gives +1 Charisma. Oddly, rather than a Victorian socialite, it makes Mrs. Vaultsicle look like a slick corporate raider, which is still cool. And it stays on under a gas mask or helmet.

ive found a la coiffe, but it didnt give me an undercut yet

i want my sexy undercut ffs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I supposed I should go visit Diamond City some day.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I am so tired of never having enough adhesive.

I am also having a weird graphics glitch. When ever I try to go into third person the camera stays in first person but I can still rotate the camera around without my character moving. Doesn't happen when I am in the power armor though.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

To me it looks and feels more like someone doing a reboot and less a sequel. I love it, but with the way Bethesda seems to focus on bringing back the super mutants and swarms of raiders that are just one giant faction instead of distinct clans while generally not showing progress made rebuilding stuff (though 4 is much better than 3 in this regard. Most of the populated area actually have farms and potable water supply) or an examination of different approaches people might take to rebuild society and culture after over 200 years I really think they should just drop the idea that they have to keep setting each game later than the previous and just make an after-the-bombs setting game in a new region. Or have it set in the aftermath of something else having happened to set back an area's progress.

I love the new SPECIAL system though. I'm willing to be that anyone proclaiming love for the original also always took Gifted, dropped charisma, started with an agility of 9 or 10, and a strength of at least 5 but likely 6 if playing a ranged character because unless it was your first character before you knew the system or were playing a pacifist run that agility was the breakpoint to get multiple attacks per turn, that strength was what would let you use a sniper rifle and plasma rifle, charisma was useless since you could still max out speech skills with no charisma, and the base special points were so powerful but skill points were effectively limitless due to skill books giving free and repeated boosts to repair and science so long as you kept checking vendors and had the cash for them. Most character wound up as highly skilled combatants, hackers, and mechanics with many also being highly persuasive and/or locksmiths and everyone ignored Barter, Outdoorsman, and Gambling. Old SPECIAL was a bizarre mix of straitjacket on combat potential unless you knew the way to break it with Gifted but letting you do whatever with non-combat skills. There wasn't a whole lot of difference between how someone who went max perception and 6 starting luck versus someone who did 6 starting perception and max luck on a ranged character. Now there's a significant difference between a ranged character with high perception and average luck and someone with high luck and average perception.

3 and NV largely neutered SPECIAL since the gains each point gave were so small and the requirements for perks were generally pretty low (almost nothing above a 6 SPECIAL requirement). 4 makes those higher scores meaningful again but without having to use specific breakpoints you had no way of knowing about ahead of time in 1/2 that could easily screw over a character (oh, didn't know you needed 6 int for one of the level 15 perk that lets you fire your guns faster? Too bad!).

Shame they do next to nothing to use it dialogue though.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    i think re: the visual style

the glowing sea is a step in the right direction

one of the beeferonies i have with their visual style is that they ignore what highly radioactive areas actually look like - eg chernobyl

they look like ~nature boyz~

this is chernobyl just 23 years later:

1281530725-chernobyl-exclusion-zone-23-years-after-power-plant-explosion_264977.jpg
    4986958232_68de30c04a_z.jpg

the fact the game happens in late summer but theres no leaves is really dumb and contributes to the game visually feeling more homogeneous than it could

if they had a split between weird mutant radioactive forest, REALLY radioactive glowing sea shit, desert waste a la f1 f2, and old towns reclaimed + new towns it would be a lot more interesting

and then with the towns they could actually, you know, have some PLANTS growing on shit. the problem is their towns look like they were abandoned v recently, not 200 years ago. theres so much cool stuff that happens when a town is reclaimed by nature that the game completely ignores

boston itself feels very very sily as a consequence of this

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.