As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Indie Games Thread is out! stretch goals to be delivered later.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    okay but what is firewatch

Glorified way to order a set of Olly Moss prints

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

AtomicTofu wrote: »

Glorified way to order a set of Olly Moss prints

SHABOOM

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh is it just a tax? Hmm

I've never actually locked down the castle in all my time spent with the game

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I don't want to know!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm currently trying to come up with a unifying system based on categorizing our descriptors as well

So in the style of the previous example I used, the anatomy of Spelunky is:
    • Graphical: Side Scrolling
    • Gameplay: Platformer
    • Progression: Rogue-like

I'm thinking of switching out graphical for something that could also refer to other sensory inputs - music and sound, most notably

Also changing progression to something starting with G, for obvious reasons

The core idea is that every game would have to have at least one of each of those, but could have many, many more

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I'd be really interested to know what everyone here considers like, the most rogue-like. The roguest of games. In like, the past five years lets say, so that y'all can't just say Rogue.

For me, the main components are:
    -Permadeath. Meaning actual progress reset. (Note that I think easing up on this can actually make a game a lot more fun, depending on the game)
    -Random stage generation
    -Emphasis on improving skill to progress. Victory should be possible from the very first round if you have the skills for it.

Spelunky would probably be the best template that comes to mind. I've never actually played or seen Rogue

Spelunky allows you to pay for level shortcuts

This strict set of definitions also excludes crypt of the necrodancer, binding of isaad, nuclear throne, and many other games usually thought of as roguelikes

Taking Shortcuts in spelunky means you can't do a hell run. They're just training wheels.

And those qualifiers do not exclude Isaac or Necrodancer. If you're good enough you absolutely can beat those games from thw outset.

you gain permanent progress in both of those games

Neither of them require those things in order to beat the game.

I've played Isaac a bunch, and at this point I could reset my data in Isaac and have a very good chance at beating Mom in one go.

Rogue Legacy pretty much forces you to level up in order to get anywhere. You're not really expected to play it any other way.

Furthermore, 99% of the unlockable items in Isaac only have a chance to show up, and you can easily go a ton of runs without seeing anything good even if you've unlocked everything.

As opposed to your character permanently keeping everything you've unlocked, between runs.

I mean, if that distinction isn't a really big one to you, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, here?

I'm done here

you're going to see more and more games like rogue legacy, and people are going to continue to call them rogue likes, because to a large group of people that has understandable connotations

you can fight against it every time if you would like

for me when someone told me rogue legacy was a rogue like it gave me a set of expectations and it lived up to those mechanics

its a perfectly useful term to describe the game, and people will continue to use it to do so

I only regret I engaged in the conversation

You could have just said "I disagree" and that'd be the end of it.

Instead you make this big dramatic exit over a discussion about video games.

Ain't like anyone forced you to make this personal, dude.

typically when people are told 'no you can't use that word for this, you are wrong', I tend to take it personally

I should try to ignore it in the future

Which is funny because my opening statement wasn't that you cannot call it that, but that I don't call it that.

I even went on, in that statement, to say that most of the games I label as roguelikes aren't technically roguelikes.

So uh, I dunno what to tell you.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I'm currently trying to come up with a unifying system based on categorizing our descriptors as well

I'm thinking of switching out graphical for something that could also refer to other sensory inputs - music and sound, most notably

The core idea is that every game would have to have at least one of each of those, but could have many, many more

Yeah, graphical doesn't feel right, but I'm struggling to think of what you'd put there. Because there's camera orientation (top-down, sidescrolling, 3D-fixed-perspective, 3D free control) but then sometimes there's a turn-based/real-time distinction. And what would you call Asteroids-like controls where the screen is fixed but you can both move in x and y and pivot?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Out of curiosity, I'd be really interested to know what everyone here considers like, the most rogue-like. The roguest of games. In like, the past five years lets say, so that y'all can't just say Rogue.

-Permadeath. Meaning actual progress reset. (Note that I think easing up on this can actually make a game a lot more fun, depending on the game)
    -Random stage generation
    -Emphasis on improving skill to progress. Victory should be possible from the very first round if you have the skills for it.

Spelunky would probably be the best template that comes to mind. I've never actually played or seen Rogue

This strict set of definitions also excludes crypt of the necrodancer, binding of isaad, nuclear throne, and many other games usually thought of as roguelikes

Taking Shortcuts in spelunky means you can't do a hell run. They're just training wheels.

And those qualifiers do not exclude Isaac or Necrodancer. If you're good enough you absolutely can beat those games from thw outset.

I've played Isaac a bunch, and at this point I could reset my data in Isaac and have a very good chance at beating Mom in one go.

Rogue Legacy pretty much forces you to level up in order to get anywhere. You're not really expected to play it any other way.

Furthermore, 99% of the unlockable items in Isaac only have a chance to show up, and you can easily go a ton of runs without seeing anything good even if you've unlocked everything.

As opposed to your character permanently keeping everything you've unlocked, between runs.

I mean, if that distinction isn't a really big one to you, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, here?

I'm done here

you're going to see more and more games like rogue legacy, and people are going to continue to call them rogue likes, because to a large group of people that has understandable connotations

for me when someone told me rogue legacy was a rogue like it gave me a set of expectations and it lived up to those mechanics

its a perfectly useful term to describe the game, and people will continue to use it to do so

typically when people are told 'no you can't use that word for this, you are wrong', I tend to take it personally

Which is funny because my opening statement wasn't that you cannot call it that, but that I don't call it that.

I even went on, in that statement, to say that most of the games I label as roguelikes aren't technically roguelikes.

I am sorry I snapped at you, I'm gonna drop it now though

agree to disagree.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

-Random stage generation

I'm done here

I am sorry I snapped at you, I'm gonna drop it now though

agree to disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Eq1c7yaHU

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Super Hot is mostly bright and red, with procedural generated rooms and perma death so it's a light rouge rouge like

NeoToma on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Yeah, graphical doesn't feel right, but I'm struggling to think of what you'd put there. Because there's camera orientation (top-down, sidescrolling, 3D-fixed-perspective, 3D free control) but then sometimes there's a turn-based/real-time distinction. And what would you call Asteroids-like controls where the screen is fixed but you can both move in x and y and pivot?

Aesthetic is my new one, I think

It has the subcategories of art design (8 bit or whatever else), audio design (voiced, sound effects, music, and so on), and camera style (fixed, side scroll, top down, isometric, whatever)

All of those can be split up as well too probably, and of course most games will have all three of those in their aesthetic

The other categories probably split down similarly as well

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    presentation, playstyle, progression

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Reviewers tilt

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to trying Rise of the Tomb Raider's roguelike dlc once I finish the main game.

• Options
    We need a discrete category to note whether a game is tuned for lean.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    presentation, playstyle, progression

Shit, yeah, this is it

Wait, dare I? The three elements of presentation are now named Art, Audio, and (camera) Angle

More to come as I delve into my feelings on alliteration being far greater than my feelings on videogames

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fun Factor

• Options
    edited February 2016
    You know what's a good game that I still havne't finished? Titan Souls.

Probably the most beautiful looking retro game I've played.

I should get back into that and finish it sometime.

Goatmon on

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Probably the best system would have branching sub genres or something.

Like, I love Tribes and I love Red Orchestra, and they are both multiplayer FPS games but man it would be hard for them to be more different games.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Like, I love Tribes and I love Red Orchestra, and they are both multiplayer FPS games but man it would be hard for them to be more different games.

My goal was actually to remove the whole idea of subgenres from the equation

Essentially, by making things holistic enough, what they previously described will no longer be useful

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    they are roguelike, in that they are similar to rogue

they do not have to be exactly like rogue

then they wouldn't be roguelike

they'd be rogue clones

also the word has been used this way for like 5 years at this point, its origin doesn't really matter any more

Rogue Legacy is nothing like Rogue though.

It is

When you die you must reprogress through areas you have already covered

In addition this is now the generally understood definition of the term, which is how language works

Its generally accepted as the correct descriptor

Saying its not "really" a roguelike helps noone. All it does is gatekeeping for no gain

The same thing happens in Mario.
    Is it a Roguelike?

no, mario does not incorporate randomness, it is an authored experience, and learning how to get through a specific area is the key to progressing (like the previous dark souls example) as opposed to the bigger thing in most roguelikes which is knowledge of how elements in the world work and how to tackle them

So that Mario level builder game would be then.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

My goal was actually to remove the whole idea of subgenres from the equation

Essentially, by making things holistic enough, what they previously described will no longer be useful

I guess those are the only two real choices, double down insanely on specifics ane sub categories (to no end) or go very broad and including.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to trying Rise of the Tomb Raider's roguelike dlc once I finish the main game.

that mode is actually really fun

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »

I think it's funny that you think any of this particularly matters.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

they'd be rogue clones

also the word has been used this way for like 5 years at this point, its origin doesn't really matter any more

It is

In addition this is now the generally understood definition of the term, which is how language works

Saying its not "really" a roguelike helps noone. All it does is gatekeeping for no gain

Is it a Roguelike?

no, mario does not incorporate randomness, it is an authored experience, and learning how to get through a specific area is the key to progressing (like the previous dark souls example) as opposed to the bigger thing in most roguelikes which is knowledge of how elements in the world work and how to tackle them

no, thats not random?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

that mode is actually really fun

I wish it were actually folded into the campaign

"See how long you survive in the campaign with all these new elements to consider" sounds super fun

"Do it in this detached side mode" sounds lame

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

they'd be rogue clones

It is

Is it a Roguelike?

No, mario maker is also not randomized on each life

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Oh is it just a tax? Hmm

I've never actually locked down the castle in all my time spent with the game
    I never used it either, it never made sense to. I'm going to clear every room I can regardless if the world is the same or not, so why waste money on locking it down? It's been a long time since I played but I don't think beating a boss unlocks any abilities or anything so there's no incentive to kill them outside of unlocking the door to the final boss.

• Options
    edited February 2016

they'd be rogue clones

It is

Is it a Roguelike?

no, thats not random?

I'm assuming there's a random author queue.

On roguelikes though, I'm just frustrated that the term has been so diluted that I can't find the roguelikes that I like, even though they all share the same characteristics.

Namely:
    - Turn based or otherwise no execution skill required.
    - Procedurely generated [although can you even tell.. and Nethack had Sokoban and quest levels baked in] [no rote learning of solutions]
    - Permadeath that eliminates all progess. [No incremental progress]

Only with these three combined do you have a game where learning the systems of the game and using your wits to control them is your only method of progress. And those are games I enjoy.

Rogue Legacy fits none of these, for example. Calling it a roguelike makes finding the above more difficult.

discrider on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

6pkridkt1kv1.png
    (I just wanted to post this image)

• Options

they'd be rogue clones

It is

Is it a Roguelike?

no, thats not random?

On roguelikes though, I'm just frustrated that the term has been so diluted that I can't find the roguelikes that I like, even though they all share the same characteristics.

Namely:
    - Procedurely generated [although can you even tell.. and Nethack had Sokoban and quest levels baked in] [no rote learning of solutions]

Only with these three combined do you have a game where learning the systems of the game and using your wits to control them is your only method of progress. And those are games I enjoy.

Rogue Legacy fits none of these, for example. Calling it a roguelike makes finding the above more difficult.

Even if you're playing 100 Mario Challenge, you still have to clear each level sequentially. The levels are self-contained and remain exactly the same upon death until completion, so there's no random element to it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Rogue Legacy easily contains enough of the things that are associated with roguelikes too qualify as one.

Just because it excludes some aspects of it that some people enjoy doesn't mean it strays too far from the base genre.

they'd be rogue clones

It is

Is it a Roguelike?

no, thats not random?

Namely:

Maybe try Invisible Inc?

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

6pkridkt1kv1.png
    (I just wanted to post this image)

It was exactly what I thought of when I posted that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited February 2016

Oh man. I cannot wait for this release.

The demo they put out around a year or so ago was really good.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Rogue Legacy easily contains enough of the things that are associated with roguelikes too qualify as one.

Just because it excludes some aspects of it that some people enjoy doesn't mean it strays too far from the base genre.

they'd be rogue clones

It is

Is it a Roguelike?

no, thats not random?

Namely:

Maybe try Invisible Inc?

Invisible Inc is great. As is FTL. And XCOM.

On the other hand Necrodancer is a great rhythm game, and BoI and Spelunky are great for the execution challenges.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dungeon of the endless is another fun roguelike, just while we're throwing titles out there

I know it doesn't click for some folks but it is possibly the only roguelike I enjoy (and can beat sometimes)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

The Berlin interpretation of "Roguelike" is kind of bullshit, but it's certainly a list of things that are associated with roguelikes. Let's see if Rogue Legacy contains "enough" of these things.

"High-value factors"
    Random environment generation: YES
    Permadeath: NO
    Turn-based: NO
    Grid-based: NO
    Non-modal: NO
    Complexity: NO
    Resource management: NO
    Hack'n'slash: YES
    Exploration and discovery: NO

"Low-value factors"
    Single player character: YES
    Monsters are similar to players: NO
    Tactical challenge: YES
    ASCII display: NO
    Dungeons: YES
    Numbers: YES

So that's 2 out of 9 "high-value" and 4 out of 6 "low-value" factors. Is that enough? I dunno. Is it EASILY enough? Probably not.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Oh man. I cannot wait for this release.

The demo they put out around a year or so ago was really good.
    It's actually a pretty great move to have the demos be their on little standalone stories/"games".

This discussion has been closed.