As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    See my edit above but my thought is the White Council needs to hire some modern PR firms to manage their efforts there.

...or Fox News.

That last is probably worse than the alternative though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I think one of my favorite parts of Planescape:Torment was belief and how it could affect things. Really fun to experience. It would be really cool if that were worked into the Dresden Files.
    Although considering what Carlos tells Molly wouldn't it have been smarter to keep quiet about the church and just let Molly explode it? Keep more people in the dark.
    I know he told her because we needed to know but really.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    He Who Walks Behind
    I thought he was a Demon?

Naw, that critter's origin was confirmed in one of the recent main series books. I forget which one though.
    It was something very vaguely like;
    Person: Not everyone can take on an outsider and live. (maybe at such a young age or something)
    Dresden: Wut?
    Person: He Who Walks Behind, he's an outsider.
    Dresden: Wut wut?
    The cosmology and whatnot of the Dresdenverse has changed a lot since the first book, so I suspect that at the time of writing your take on HWWB was correct.
    Didn't He Who Walks Behind come from the evil wizard raising him(Justin??'s) Death Curse? If not how did he get on Harry?
    Yes, DuMorne called him up which is part of the evidence we have that Walkers can bypass the Gate if they've got help from the inside. The Molly story that started this tangent also mentions a church devoted to them.
    The church sounded like it was dedicated to Cthulhu specifically, rather than Outsiders in general. Though I may be misremembering.
    In Dresden lore I'm pretty sure Cthulhu is just an Outsider who got good PR along with a bunch of other things from the mythos. Doesn't Carlos complain about it and the whole Lovecraft thing?

I am pretty sure...
    One of the things the White Council has done for years is try and limit or destroy knowledge of outsiders especially because that is the best way to prevent them from gaining entry to our world. And Lovecraft kind of fucked that up. Also this is why Mab and the other Fae do a lot to plant stories and such about them into the general literature to maintain that belief and power from it.
    There's also cases where they intentionally publish ritual works because there's a bandwidth problem with the power a ritual uses. The more people use a ritual, the less power it has.

The people who work to completely destroy knowledge of outsiders are the Venatori, who are nominal allies of the White Council, but not entirely.
    Backup spoilers
    They're also allies of the White Court Vampires

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    He Who Walks Behind
    I thought he was a Demon?

Naw, that critter's origin was confirmed in one of the recent main series books. I forget which one though.
    It was something very vaguely like;
    Person: Not everyone can take on an outsider and live. (maybe at such a young age or something)
    Dresden: Wut?
    Person: He Who Walks Behind, he's an outsider.
    Dresden: Wut wut?
    The cosmology and whatnot of the Dresdenverse has changed a lot since the first book, so I suspect that at the time of writing your take on HWWB was correct.
    Didn't He Who Walks Behind come from the evil wizard raising him(Justin??'s) Death Curse? If not how did he get on Harry?
    Yes, DuMorne called him up which is part of the evidence we have that Walkers can bypass the Gate if they've got help from the inside. The Molly story that started this tangent also mentions a church devoted to them.
    The church sounded like it was dedicated to Cthulhu specifically, rather than Outsiders in general. Though I may be misremembering.
    In Dresden lore I'm pretty sure Cthulhu is just an Outsider who got good PR along with a bunch of other things from the mythos. Doesn't Carlos complain about it and the whole Lovecraft thing?

I am pretty sure...
    One of the things the White Council has done for years is try and limit or destroy knowledge of outsiders especially because that is the best way to prevent them from gaining entry to our world. And Lovecraft kind of fucked that up. Also this is why Mab and the other Fae do a lot to plant stories and such about them into the general literature to maintain that belief and power from it.
    There's also cases where they intentionally publish ritual works because there's a bandwidth problem with the power a ritual uses. The more people use a ritual, the less power it has.

The people who work to completely destroy knowledge of outsiders are the Venatori, who are nominal allies of the White Council, but not entirely.
    Backup spoilers
    They're also allies of the White Court Vampires

Re: Backup
    I wouldn't say they're allies of the White Court so much as the White Court happily furthers their agenda because it removes competition.

The Venatori would get rid of the White Court if they could, but getting rid of the concept of sex vampires is basically impossible.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I want to see what an Old God vs an Outsider looks like.

Pretty sure the Old Gods are way stronger, but it be kind of funny for the Outsiders to fight their way in and run into something even bigger and badder.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    This is actually the entire purpose of the Archive regarding such things in the Oblivion War. Which is entirely literal. Basically the ones fighting it seek out and destroy written knowledge of various threats to humanity, causing knowledge of those entities to disappear over large period of time as the entities themselves wither away. The Archive, due to knowing the content of all written work, performs three functions. The first is identifying work where the entity appears so it can be targeted for destruction, watching for additional work that tells her people still know of the entity, and when she is certain all knowledge of the entity is gone (this takes many generations of observations) aside from herself she erases the knowledge of that entity from herself, thus consigning it to oblivion forever.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    This is actually the entire purpose of the Archive regarding such things in the Oblivion War. Which is entirely literal. Basically the ones fighting it seek out and destroy written knowledge of various threats to humanity, causing knowledge of those entities to disappear over large period of time as the entities themselves wither away. The Archive, due to knowing the content of all written work, performs three functions. The first is identifying work where the entity appears so it can be targeted for destruction, watching for additional work that tells her people still know of the entity, and when she is certain all knowledge of the entity is gone (this takes many generations of observations) aside from herself she erases the knowledge of that entity from herself, thus consigning it to oblivion forever.

Of course, a side effect...
    The Archive also has the sum total of humanity's magical knowledge at her disposal, the cumulative practice of every generation, etc.

Dresden is probably correct that the White Council is underestimating her by considering her merely on par with the Ladies.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Reading Fool Moon.
    Loup Garou just rampaged through the station. That felt like the final book in a series. This shit keeps going!?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Reading Fool Moon.
    Loup Garou just rampaged through the station. That felt like the final book in a series. This shit keeps going!?

If you can believe it,
    the stakes get higher every single book.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    One of the first quests in Borderlands 2 ends with this text blurb:
    "You just moved five feet and opened a locker. Later, when you're killing skyscraper-sized monsters with a gun that shoots lightning, you'll look back on this moment and be like, "heh.""
    You could say something similar when comparing the various Dresden File plots.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Fox21 Television has optioned the rights to a Dresden Files TV series. Anything that happens with it will likely be under Disney management post-merger.

Cold Days Spoiler
    Molly for Disney Princess?

https://deadline.com/2018/10/the-dresden-files-fantasy-novels-optioned-fox21-tv-studios-series-development-1202476632/

• Options
    Fox21 Television has optioned the rights to a Dresden Files TV series. Anything that happens with it will likely be under Disney management post-merger.

Cold Days Spoiler

https://deadline.com/2018/10/the-dresden-files-fantasy-novels-optioned-fox21-tv-studios-series-development-1202476632/

Another one you mean?

And re spoiler...
    The problem is that she's a queen.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    looks like Butters is getting his sword then.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Cold Days Spoiler

Who should Paul Blackthorne play?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Cold Days Spoiler

Dresden...again?

But honestly you want someone that can sell getting the shit kicked out of them. It's a big part of the series.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Cold Days Spoiler

Detective Jack Murphy or Carmichael.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I always felt Blackthorne was a tad old to be Dresden. My dream choice is James Marsters! That way he has the right voice. And pick a good Murphy!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    He's also not tall enough, you want a lanky dude.

I like to ART
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I always felt Blackthorne was a tad old to be Dresden. My dream choice is James Marsters! That way he has the right voice. And pick a good Murphy!

Kirk Fox for Dresden (also too old)
    I've only seen Karrin as Michelle Rodriguez for a really long time.

I know that's a tad left field.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Cold Days Spoiler

There are 3 entire books to get through before even starting to consider that casting. I'm all for trying to do this, but going to TV is a little dissapointing. I would have prefered showtime or even Netflix just so they would not feel the need to censor things.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    azith28 wrote: »

Cold Days Spoiler

There are 3 entire books to get through before even starting to consider that casting. I'm all for trying to do this, but going to TV is a little dissapointing. I would have prefered showtime or even Netflix just so they would not feel the need to censor things.

Ah, yeah. There are some scenes that have messy details left to the reader's imagination. Werewolves, red court, white court, winter court, etc. etc.

Between gore and nudity...

Polaritie on
  • Options
    joshgotro wrote: »

What about Erin Heatherton? I gis on short blondes with freckles.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

short?

google says she's 6ft tall

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    There's no way this series is done well on a network.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Reading Fool Moon.

Thing to remember about the Dresden Files is that it did not start out as a possible 23 book series. Storm Front was written as a challenge by a college professor, which Butcher guaranteed would be awful. He was wrong, of course, so he then went publisher hunting while also writing Fool Moon and Grave Peril, fully expecting them to actually bomb if they did get published. The books did not connect other than having the same characters at a slightly later point in time. The books sold surprisingly well, the publisher demanded more, and the long, over arcing plot of the series was born. Anything connecting the first 3 books to the grand story of the series is a combination of being an accident and connecting dots that were never meant to be connected. He didn't fully flesh out the characters or universe until after writing Grave Peril, and I think it really shows.

What I am trying to say here is buckle your seat belt, because you are in for one wild ride.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »

short?

google says she's 6ft tall

I didn’t read her bio just was looking for a face that meshed with how I think of her. I had searched for short but google throws out things they want.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

This sounds like a dangerous GIS during the workday.

I'd be down for a good Dresden Files TV series, but I don't think anyone short of HBO or Netflix could actually make a good one.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I could see Selena Gomez playing the part well. She is also about the right age for early Dresden.

Edit: we're talking about Murphy, for some reason I had Susan stuck in my head. Hmmm murph.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Keira Knightley? She’s got range. Who knows?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Fox21 does develop and produce content for other networks. This is Us on NBC is a fox21 produced show. I think a Dresden Files tv show would work best on one of the streaming services.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Jayricho wrote: »

Ok, I choose not to believe in that tweet.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well damn. Probably. I would like to think it be worth making. Plenty of time slots to fill up, get on it TV!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

This sounds like a dangerous GIS during the workday.

I'd be down for a good Dresden Files TV series, but I don't think anyone short of HBO or Netflix could actually make a good one.

I don't know, I think when I started reading the Dresden Files, I think I would have agreed with you that a network or basic cable would not have been able to do the series justice, but that was 10, maybe 15 years ago. Long enough after initial printing for the first three books to have hit mass market paperback and get bundled into a single box set anyway.

But basic cable, and network TV for that matter, is doing a lot more with long running story arcs and don't seem as restricted as they used to be about gory supernatural stuff and/or sex and nudity. I think that even in the 11 years since the SciFi series, television has made leaps and bounds in what they can do in regards to long run story arcs as well as what they can put on the air content wise, to say nothing of the technical aspects in regards to depicting magic.
    Consider what SyFy has done with The Magicians. I may not be recalling very well, but I don't think that they would have tried half of that show back in 07.

The important thing IMHO isn't what network/streamer does it, but in the people who do it. If you get a production team that stops reading at "Wizard PI in Chicago" and goes and does their own thing, it's likely to suck. It might work, but it seems unlikely. If you could get a production team that appreciates the story, and is devoted to doing it justice (and a studio willing to take the risk when signing a fat check for a long running show), then I'll trust that you'll wind up with something worth watching even if it isn't a perfect translation from the books. Sure, HBO or Netflix may be willing to put in more nudity or have a bigger viscera budget, but if the people behind the show don't get the heart of the show, than what's the point?

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    It's almost a shame Sheriff Hopper is Hellboy, because I think he'd be a pretty good Dresden.

• Options
    It's almost a shame Sheriff Hopper is Hellboy, because I think he'd be a pretty good Dresden.

Oh shit, yeah that would be great. De-age him ever so slightly and he's perfect.

• Options
    Too husky, looks like too much of a bruiser.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Wrong kind of bruiser, anyways. Harry's 100% a bruiser with his magic.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

Wrong kind of bruiser, anyways. Harry's 100% a bruiser with his magic.

Fair point(s). Harry is definitely a bruiser, but more in a take a punch than give a punch kinda way.