As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I'm still genuinely surprised Butcher

Battle Grounds
    killed off Murphy.

Part of me wants to think it's some kind of fake-out, but even in a world of wizards and faeries it's pretty clear that dead is dead in the Dresdenverse.

Harry'd never stoop to Necromancy and Time-Travel would probably introduce too many problems just to save one life.

After 16 novels it just feels so... arbitrary.
    I should point out she'll probably be back for the big finale. Einherjar are explicitly referenced in Ragnarok.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Battle Grounds
    killed off Murphy.

Part of me wants to think it's some kind of fake-out, but even in a world of wizards and faeries it's pretty clear that dead is dead in the Dresdenverse.

Harry'd never stoop to Necromancy and Time-Travel would probably introduce too many problems just to save one life.

Are you kidding?

He absolutely would do something like that.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Battle Grounds
    killed off Murphy.

Are you kidding?

It's almost traditional.
    Every woman close to Dresden dies. The lady in the second book, Susan, Murphy. Even Lucio was mind raped into it

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

Battle Grounds
    killed off Murphy.

Are you kidding?

You really think Dresden would turn to necromancy just go bring Murphy back?

I'm pretty sure he views it as one of the most perverse uses of magic. He wouldn't do that to her.

I might could see him attempting time-travel to stop her death but... if he'd done that it would've already been done. Because of the time travel.

RT800 on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Butcher has stated that:
    Harry will eventually break every Law of Magic.

Everything with the T-Rex might count for necromancy, but you never know.

Personally, I ascribe to the popular theory that Harry is Merlin or will at least interact with Merlin before the end of the series.

• Options

Battle Grounds
    killed off Murphy.

Are you kidding?

I'm pretty sure he views it as one of the most perverse uses of magic. He wouldn't do that to her.

I might could see him attempting time-travel to stop her death but... if he'd done that it would've already been done. Because of the time travel.

Oh, to be more specific
    I don't think he'd go to necromancy, but he'd absolutely try and do a light bit of time travel to save Murphy.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Nah it will be Dresden's good friend, Dr. Acula.

• Options

Battle Grounds
    killed off Murphy.

Are you kidding?

Oh, to be more specific
    I don't think he'd go to necromancy, but he'd absolutely try and do a light bit of time travel to save Murphy.

After
    Twelve Months comes Mirror Mirror.
    Maybe time travel comes in then?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I love the idea of the Dresden Files. The setting is second to none and the magic system is brilliant! Power is will and experience, but subjected to physics - that's a great hook.

Then the whole 'everything is real' and 'power is commensurate to mortal belief in said power ' leads to some real interesting setups.

Twenty years of power creep starts to fuck up a lot of the character dynamics.

And we still haven't gotten my personal prophecies
    Marcone becomes a Knight of the Cross. Justin DuMorne is Cowl.

My personal prophecy's a bit adjacent to that first one:
    I sorta expect Nicodemus will turn at some point. Not all the way to Knighthood, but turn nonetheless.

Partly because there's an interesting character arc there, and it's not like Butcher hasn't been grinding him down over the last several books, but moreso because Butcher's said his decisionmaking process centers around whatever bugs Harry the most and can you imagine how bugged he would be by that?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I love the idea of the Dresden Files. The setting is second to none and the magic system is brilliant! Power is will and experience, but subjected to physics - that's a great hook.

Then the whole 'everything is real' and 'power is commensurate to mortal belief in said power ' leads to some real interesting setups.

I sorta expect Nicodemus will turn at some point. Not all the way to Knighthood, but turn nonetheless.

Partly because there's an interesting character arc there, and it's not like Butcher hasn't been grinding him down over the last several books, but moreso because Butcher's said his decisionmaking process centers around whatever bugs Harry the most and can you imagine how bugged he would be by that?

I hope not:
    Nic should have stayed dead. So any redemption of his is going to fall totally flat for me. Of all the people to resurrect why him.

As for breaking the laws and necromancy: If Sue didn't count, I can see Harry rezzing some bad guy for some vital information to save the world or Maggie.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I hope not:
    Nic should have stayed dead. So any redemption of his is going to fall totally flat for me. Of all the people to resurrect why him.

As for breaking the laws and necromancy: If Sue didn't count, I can see Harry rezzing some bad guy for some vital information to save the world or Maggie.
    Nicodemus never died? Harry choked him out, yeah, but it's pretty clear in Small Favor he didn't get to finish the job.

That said him quoting the same line as an Outsider is uh, yeah no redemption coming there unless it turns out Hell was getting played by Outside or some shit.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I hope not:

Nicodemus never died? Harry choked him out, yeah, but it's pretty clear in Small Favor he didn't get to finish the job.

That said him quoting the same line as an Outsider is uh, yeah no redemption coming there unless it turns out Hell was getting played by Outside or some shit.

I'm guessing the big Apocalyptic Trilogy that's supposed to end the series...
    Will see all factions aligned against the Outsiders after Harry does a Full on Harry and manages to fuck the Gates up while fixing an apparently unrelated issue. ("Vegeta NO!" "Vegeta, YESSSS!"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhEXLnfmGJc)

Heaven, Hell, The Greek Pantheon, The Norse Pantheon, Summer, Winter, The Wild Hunt, The Vampires (well, white court anyway). Maybe Jade will be brought in at some point to fill the Red/Black power vacuum left in Harry's wake)... The White Council, The Grey, The Black, The Hedge Wizards, The Knights, The Denarians, The Vanilla Humans...

The alternative is all of the above plus Outsiders versus something worse than the Outsiders. The "Whatever is chasing the Tyrannids" option.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Looks like The Olympian Affair, the second book in The Cinder Spires is up for preorder on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Olympian-Affair-Cinder-Spires/dp/0451466829/ref=pd_lutyp_d_bmx_gp_3i7j835n_sccl_1_2/144-7108334-6580700?pd_rd_w=Zj50X&content-id=amzn1.sym.e2c19929-b6eb-463c-8a56-678ffafc621e&pf_rd_p=e2c19929-b6eb-463c-8a56-678ffafc621e&pf_rd_r=ZHE49EMJ23DDH7NG5A5K&pd_rd_wg=gEZrb&pd_rd_r=f3b125d5-b04e-430d-a01d-d651c3c4660a&pd_rd_i=0451466829&psc=1

Overview
    The fate of the Cinder Spires may be decided by crossed swords in the next exhilarating fantasy adventure in the New York Times bestselling series of noble families, swordplay, and airships.

For centuries the Cinder Spires have safeguarded humanity, rising far above the deadly surface world. Within their halls, aristocratic houses rule, developing scientific marvels and building fleets of airships for defense and trade.

Now, the Spires hover on the brink of open war.

Everyone knows it's coming. The guns of the great airship fleets that control the skies between the last bastions of humanity will soon speak in anger, and Spire Albion stands alone against the overwhelming might of Spire Aurora's Armada and its new secret weapon--one capable of destroying the populations of entire Spires.

A trading summit at Spire Olympia provides an opportunity for the Spirearch, Lord Albion, to secure alliances that will shape the outcomes of the war, and to that end he dispatches privateer Captain Francis Madison Grimm and the crew of the AMS Predator to bolster the Spirearch's diplomatic agents.

It will take daring, skill, and no small amount of showmanship to convince the world to stand with Spire Albion--assuming that it is not already too late.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Looks like The Olympian Affair, the second book in The Cinder Spires is up for preorder on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Olympian-Affair-Cinder-Spires/dp/0451466829/ref=pd_lutyp_d_bmx_gp_3i7j835n_sccl_1_2/144-7108334-6580700?pd_rd_w=Zj50X&content-id=amzn1.sym.e2c19929-b6eb-463c-8a56-678ffafc621e&pf_rd_p=e2c19929-b6eb-463c-8a56-678ffafc621e&pf_rd_r=ZHE49EMJ23DDH7NG5A5K&pd_rd_wg=gEZrb&pd_rd_r=f3b125d5-b04e-430d-a01d-d651c3c4660a&pd_rd_i=0451466829&psc=1

Overview
    The fate of the Cinder Spires may be decided by crossed swords in the next exhilarating fantasy adventure in the New York Times bestselling series of noble families, swordplay, and airships.

For centuries the Cinder Spires have safeguarded humanity, rising far above the deadly surface world. Within their halls, aristocratic houses rule, developing scientific marvels and building fleets of airships for defense and trade.

Now, the Spires hover on the brink of open war.

Everyone knows it's coming. The guns of the great airship fleets that control the skies between the last bastions of humanity will soon speak in anger, and Spire Albion stands alone against the overwhelming might of Spire Aurora's Armada and its new secret weapon--one capable of destroying the populations of entire Spires.

A trading summit at Spire Olympia provides an opportunity for the Spirearch, Lord Albion, to secure alliances that will shape the outcomes of the war, and to that end he dispatches privateer Captain Francis Madison Grimm and the crew of the AMS Predator to bolster the Spirearch's diplomatic agents.

It will take daring, skill, and no small amount of showmanship to convince the world to stand with Spire Albion--assuming that it is not already too late.

My hope is that everything rests on an alliance of cats.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I'd be cool with chucking all the non-cat or non-lady characters from the book, yeah

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I can hardly recall anything from book 1, so better give it a re-read (or listen to) before 2 hits. Hope 2 grabs me more.

• Options
    I can hardly recall anything from book 1, so better give it a re-read (or listen to) before 2 hits. Hope 2 grabs me more.

All I remember are the cats and thinking that Butcher is wildly good at writing action sequences. He's very clear and every step is easy to understand and visualize.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Butcher has stated that:
    Harry will eventually break every Law of Magic.

Everything with the T-Rex might count for necromancy, but you never know.

Personally, I ascribe to the popular theory that Harry is Merlin or will at least interact with Merlin before the end of the series.
    Harry has definitely broke:
    Thou Shall not kill

Rules Harry technically broke:
    Thou shalt not invade the mind of another
    Thou Shalt Not Reach Beyond the Borders of Life

• Options

I know I didn't finish it. I got to the part where
    All three female characters are captured by the Big Bad and need to be rescued. Looking back that could be a "need" and they might in fact rescue themselves, but at the time I was just exasperated

So yeah, if anybody remembers how that part plays out please spoil me on it. I remember really liking Gwen(?) and the cat. Cat whisperer and crazy girl were okay, but not my favorites

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Ringo wrote: »

I know I didn't finish it. I got to the part where
    All three female characters are captured by the Big Bad and need to be rescued. Looking back that could be a "need" and they might in fact rescue themselves, but at the time I was just exasperated

So yeah, if anybody remembers how that part plays out please spoil me on it. I remember really liking Gwen(?) and the cat. Cat whisperer and crazy girl were okay, but not my favorites
    Bridget manages to slip/snap her bonds, get some Crystals to Folly, who uses them to catch some gauntlet blasts from Sark but catches a Mental Whammy from Cavendish. This does lead to Folly meeting The Enemy. Cavendish orders the Silkweavers to kill Bridget and Folly, but that is blocked when the crew of the Predator and the Verminociter guild charge in to get the Silkweavers. But they end up getting pushed back themselves and everybody gets rescued by hundreds of cats, many of whom are wearing bladed spurs.

Also you are wrong. 2 out 3 were captured, the other is just out of commission from taking out a Silkweaver Matriarch. Gwen gets treated by Efferus before he gets disabled, so she is back in commission pretty soon.

GiantGeek2020 on
  • Options
    @Ringo the post above, since I forgot to signal you.

• Options
    Thanks!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Thread I raise you from the dead!

Not Dresden but related.

Cinder Spires Book 2: The Olympian Affair was released. I am adding to my library queue instead of buying it as I am doing with all books. But just and FYI for people.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Necromancy is a violation of the Fifth Law of Magic.

Only if it is people. Otherwise gray area?

Sue has opinions on this. T-Rex opinions.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Not Dresden but related.

Cinder Spires Book 2: The Olympian Affair was released. I am adding to my library queue instead of buying it as I am doing with all books. But just and FYI for people.

I'm very excited, if I remember a dang thing from the first book other than "I liked it".

• Options

Not Dresden but related.

I'm very excited, if I remember a dang thing from the first book other than "I liked it".

The cats.

That is all I remember.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Not Dresden but related.

Cats.

There, that's the important bits.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Stop reminding me that I still need to read book one of not Harry Dresden.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Thanks for the heads up! I just finished a re-read of part one a bit ago, and thought I had a bit longer til part 2, so restarted the Codex Alera series. Guess I need to hurry through that to get to more Cinder Spire.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Has anyone read his son's stuff yet?

Is it any good?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Not Dresden but related.

Everyone was described as blockish. Everyone. The main characters have to stay a certain distance apart or form a tetris and annihilate.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Butcher does love using "blockish"

- Mac
    - Marcone's goon Hendricks
    - That detective from Book 2, I think Carmichael
    - Rawlings
    -

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

- Mac
    - Rawlings
    -

And almond shaped eyes, which leads me to believe this man has either never seen an almond or an eye.

• Options
    edited November 2023

- Mac
    - Rawlings
    -

And almond shaped eyes, which leads me to believe this man has either never seen an almond or an eye.

His level of detail and intrigue of Shakespearian Faerie is only rivaled by Seanan McGuire or Patricia Briggs, maybe.

His ability to not write like he's describing Bella in Twilight, not so much.

(edit: for the record I love Dresden I reread at least 3-5 of the series every year, it's just fun to point out stuff)

amateurhour on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I finally reached the front of the line to borrow Olympian Affair and I enjoyed it a great deal. Love the characters in this series. Eager to have the next book somewhat quicker than this one. I think there are somethings he forgot that he wrote in the first book because it was so long ago and he was thinking of dropping the book but nothing huge.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    What's the cats to boring humans ratio?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Is it any good?
    Yes.
    It is descent.

• Options
    edited January 14

Is it any good?

It's...fine. It has some good ideas and there are threads to create a bigger overall narrative, but Butcher Jr. has decided to do multiple POV characters and he's just not good enough of a writer to give them each an authentic and genuine feel.

So, everyone ends up feeling samey. It's also a big problem that his most interesting character isn't the protagonist and it's made worse because we get POV from that interesting person and you're left with 'I want to hang out with that person, not this dip!'

Butcher Jr. is also not nearly as good as clearly and concisely describing action.

I am suspicious if he would have been published without ye olde nepotism.

Spoilered problems with it below.
    Grimmsby is supposed to be the hero because he has the conviction to act. He isn't the strongest or fastest and not nearly the smartest, but he has the drive to choose to act and help people. That's the whole arc from book one and his he impressed the Huntsman.

Then you spend the first half of book two of him bitching and complaining and being an all around weenie. You retread the same shit as before.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    "You retread the same shit as before."

So he takes after his dad then.