Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Wolf, Part Four By Tavis Maiden

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Wolf, Part Four By Tavis Maiden

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here


Unknown User on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    BananaPoetBananaPoet Registered User regular
    I'll give a little review:

    Writing: Not very interesting, and slow. The only interesting thing that happened was in the last panel of the last strip. The first comic was also way too slow. There was no hook to keep people coming back, I only came back because it was on Penny Arcade. This is the same problem Jerry has. He writes very very slow and boring stories, but it gets readers because its hosted here. Neither one of them would survive in the real world. You have to write with a fast pace, and give people a reason to keep reading.

    Art: Better than a normal person could do I suppose, but not professional quality. Travis is young of course, but he isn't good enough yet to be drawing for Penny Arcade. The art wasn't terrible, it was just white bread. It served its purpose of visually depicting what was happening, but it wasn't interesting or especially nice to look at. Its like buying some nice deli meats and then putting them on store brand white bread. The bread is there to make it a sandwich, but its not worth really talking about.

  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I thought the skin husks might be the boys from the previous few comics, but those three look to be the same, minus one of their squad.

    So... maybe they killed the wolf, lost one of their members, and somehow the wolf had previous skin husks?

    Or are they something else altogether?

    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The above user had three accounts that they were using as sock puppets to share their negative views on the comic. It's fine to criticise, but this forum still has rules.

  • Options
    K.MI.K.C.K.MI.K.C. Registered User regular
    Wow, I kinda knew that the Lookouts universe was tough from listening to that podcast way back, but this was a brutal ending. It's appreciated though. Thank you, Tavis, for this story and for carving out the world a little more.

    @BananaPoet: Would you actually go and say that to a person's face? Your post pulses with a sense of ownership over Penny Arcade and its products. Why would you think that it is your job to determine what is and what isn't good enough for Penny Arcade to host?
    Furthermore, telling professionals how to write is just incredibly arrogant. From listening to Q&As and the podcasts plus reading Tycho's posts it's become clear to me that writing and pace are deliberate the way they're done here. And contrary to your assertion that the pace keeps readers from coming back, I think about the ongoing stories all the time and am eager to find out how the guys conclude them.
    All of which makes me pose this question to you: If you don't like the comic, why do you insist on coming back and telling these artists how to make a comic to cater specifically to you?

  • Options
    rtrockrtrock Registered User new member
    I've enjoyed these, but that last panel should be "its" instead of "it's."

  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I thought the skin husks might be the boys from the previous few comics, but those three look to be the same, minus one of their squad.

    So... maybe they killed the wolf, lost one of their members, and somehow the wolf had previous skin husks?

    Or are they something else altogether?
    The skins husks were visible before (clearest in 2, but also in 3), you just couldn't tell what they were.
    In the last panel, 2 of the kids are calling around. I assume it's for the 4th kid, but it could be looking for survivors. I'm guessing the next strip will have to do with Currently Unseen Lookout.

  • Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    I feel like I missed something.

  • Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    The "wolf" took the blond Lookout.

  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    The skins husks were visible before (clearest in 2, but also in 3), you just couldn't tell what they were.
    In the last panel, 2 of the kids are calling around. I assume it's for the 4th kid, but it could be looking for survivors. I'm guessing the next strip will have to do with Currently Unseen Lookout.

    Jerry indicated with the previous news entry that this would be the last in the series.

    I'd say we know exactly where the 4th boy is anyway.

    rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I thought the skin husks might be the boys from the previous few comics, but those three look to be the same, minus one of their squad.

    So... maybe they killed the wolf, lost one of their members, and somehow the wolf had previous skin husks?

    Or are they something else altogether?

    I don't think this is the first time Lookouts have been sent to appease the wolf.

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    its

  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So evil wolf spirit guy shows up, lookouts are sent to deal with it, I assume the cake he got off a kid he snatched earlier? He goes all monster form and the lookouts jump his ass, looks like his body is destroyed but the spirit runs off with one of the lookouts and leaves a pile of husks.

    So do the adults do a goddamn thing in this world, or are they fighting even worse things (or getting drunk in the pub with a bar wench on each knee?)

    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I've had a theory that one by one the Lookouts would be sacrificed or lost and those who survive to adulthood become the new "Scoutmaster." An ever repeating cycle that keeps the cities safe. There's some kind of competing philosophy with the Daughters. And I think the Scoutmaster of the original troop had plans to change the loss of anymore Lookouts. It's an interesting world that I hope gets explores more.

  • Options
    octobumbyoctobumby Registered User new member
    I honestly don't know what there is to discuss, was a pretty straightforward view into a typical day of the Lookouts.
    Wolf comes to a town and starts consuming the children as stated in page 1, supernaturally doing so while leaving only husks of skin clearly visible in page 2. Page 3 introduces the 4 members and the ambush ensues, with the last page showing the creature being vanquished but with a price of one of the scouts.

  • Options
    Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    So unbelievably underwhelming...

  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    My take on it - they were able to destroy the physical body of the wolf, but his spirit survived and took one of the boys as his new host.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    Gee, "steel" "mettle" "fatigued" ... soooooo clever.

    Crappy word play on top of sub-standard art and thin story. This Lookouts comic series was a mess.

    Please page Tycho and Gabe stat.

  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I liked it. That trope of needing to spend lives to stop a threat because more will be lost otherwise tends to appeal to me.

    cB557 on
  • Options
    ScottacusScottacus Registered User new member
    I like minimalism and mystery, but wtf?

  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    this was pretty bad

    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

    https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MattIsWaldoMattIsWaldo Registered User new member
    I hate feeling like this, but sometimes Lookouts and other outlier comics need an explanation when they are done. The Sleep Guardian comic felt the same way. I want to get it, I want to love it, but I just don't.

  • Options
    Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    I hate feeling like this, but sometimes Lookouts and other outlier comics need an explanation when they are done. The Sleep Guardian comic felt the same way. I want to get it, I want to love it, but I just don't.

    Chalk it up to some really poor storytelling.

  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    What's with all the alt haters?

    Also, on the matter of the comic itself, that was pretty cool. The end was pretty brutal, gotta say.

    Djiem on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Haters, haters everywhere! Damn Mike for getting vertigo and being unable to function as a human being; these people need quality comics, stat! :rotate:

  • Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I thought it was pretty easy to understand.
    I liked it. Fun story and art.
    I'd actually would like to see a longer Lookouts story from him.

  • Options
    MattIsWaldoMattIsWaldo Registered User new member
    Sooo, can I get a legit full explanation of what happened?

  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Jerry and Mike fucking rock. Even when I can't fully understand what's going on (which is rarely) I still love the art. That and I always manage to find helpful comments that provide context. I don't want them to create stuff 'for me'. I want them to keep doing what inspires them most. I've learned a ton about writing from Jerry and a ton about art from Mike so AFAIC they're giving me something valuable for FREE and I'm not just talking about the comic.

    Also-There's a HUGE difference between constructive critique, and whining just because an artist creates something you don't happen to like despite the fact you claim to love 99% of everything else they do. You either support them in all they do because the stuff you don't like helps make the stuff you like better or you walk the fuck away. Shaming artists in the form of negative put-downs masquerading as 'critique' is not cool.

  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Sooo, can I get a legit full explanation of what happened?
    I'm not sure but I think it's about four Inexperienced kids who decide to go after the Wolf (a powerful shape-shifting nature spirit) on their own. They get in way over their heads. The creature ends up devouring the blonde kids soul just as the damage they've done to it causes the spirit to dissipate. Two of the kids don't realize the shape they were holding was their friend but the kid in the middle does and is horrified. Innocence lost and the Wolf wins again.

    ziddersroofurry on
  • Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    The wolf gets away, there are burning foot prints.

  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I liked it. That trope of needing to spend lives to stop a thread because more will be lost otherwise tends to appeal to me.

    A very appropriate Freudian slip :D

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Jerry and Mike fucking rock. Even when I can't fully understand what's going on (which is rarely) I still love the art. That and I always manage to find helpful comments that provide context. I don't want them to create stuff 'for me'. I want them to keep doing what inspires them most. I've learned a ton about writing from Jerry and a ton about art from Mike so AFAIC they're giving me something valuable for FREE and I'm not just talking about the comic.

    Also-There's a HUGE difference between constructive critique, and whining just because an artist creates something you don't happen to like despite the fact you claim to love 99% of everything else they do. You either support them in all they do because the stuff you don't like helps make the stuff you like better or you walk the fuck away. Shaming artists in the form of negative put-downs masquerading as 'critique' is not cool.

    It wasn't done by Mike and Jerry, though. However I do think that if it was done by them, people wouldn't criticize it nearly as much. But that's how double standarts tend to work.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I think it's understandable to be frustrated by the Eyrewood stuff. Some people like to have everything spelled out for them. And that's fine! I'm not a huge fan of interpretive fiction* myself (although I've really enjoyed these strips). But obviously explaining every last thing is not the direction G&T want to take for it, so managing your expectations a bit is likely going to be helpful.

    It's tough because for many people constructive criticism is quite difficult, both to give and to receive. I don't feel there is much, if any, worth in saying 'this comic sucks.' Saying 'I didn't like this comic because I didn't understand what happened" is valid, but attacking that person by calling them an idiot for not 'getting it' is also worthless, because the point of not explaining something is to have the viewer interpret it themselves, and that's always going to vary by reader.

    *Not sure if that's the right term but you probably get the idea.

  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    I generaly prefer when instead of not telling something, author gives subtle clues that can be hard to pick up and decipher, but once you do it you have a valid explanation of what happened. The upside is that you can get actual explanation given by author, instead of your interpretation, and if you can't figure it out yourself you can ask others for what these clues mean. The downside is that it's not easy for author to do this kind of thing.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    To the haters, one thing to keep in mind is that Tavis made this on fairly short notice, in addition to continuing his own comics. I wouldn't hold it as the absolute example of what he's capable of.
    briguy wrote: »
    I've had a theory that one by one the Lookouts would be sacrificed or lost and those who survive to adulthood become the new "Scoutmaster." An ever repeating cycle that keeps the cities safe. There's some kind of competing philosophy with the Daughters. And I think the Scoutmaster of the original troop had plans to change the loss of anymore Lookouts. It's an interesting world that I hope gets explores more.

    An interesting theory, it sounds very plausible. As to your comment about the Daughters; a fan once conjectured, and Gabe/Mike later confirmed in a newspost that it breaks down like this:
    • The Lookouts protect the town(s?)
    • The Daughters protect the Eyrewood and the creatures living in it
    • The Thornwatch protect those who are most desperate
    • Sometimes the goals of one or more of the groups align, while sometimes they work at cross purposes.

    Also, I seem to recall Mike, in one of the posts about the development of Thornwatch, saying they might be some manner of ghost or revenant of those who have fallen. But that was a long time ago so that may have been changed.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Great story, I really enjoyed it. I will have a read through of Tavis other comics I think when I get some spare time.

    My only issue was the first comic with the odd overlapping narrator/character phrasing, it confused me too. It still confuses me on an automatic level when my eye skips down to read the next line. That's more of an editing thing than an artistic choice. The wording of the lines themselves wasn't the issue, it was just the visual layout.

    Otherwise, I didn't have a problem with understanding what was going on.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I don't mind these forays into side stories, but admittedly don't quite follow the lore. My assumption is that there must have been something posted outside of the comic that I just missed which would have filled in the gaps. That being said, there are a handful of people who have posted that they did not have trouble understanding this series while not providing their interpretation of what transpired. No soap radio.

    Spiritfire on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    To the haters, one thing to keep in mind is that Tavis made this on fairly short notice, in addition to continuing his own comics. I wouldn't hold it as the absolute example of what he's capable of.

    Yup. And that's why I've withheld comment until now, myself.
    IMO, it's not the best. And that's understandable, and okay.

  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I definitely had higher hopes but considering the circumstances Tavis probably put this together in I agree that it's not a bad effort. The writing was not great but the art is nice enough and while the ending is a little ambiguous it's really not any more difficult to understand than the last couple of Mike-and-Jerry-penned Lookoutsverse (Eyreverse?) offerings.

  • Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So do the adults do a goddamn thing in this world

    They're mostly dead, really.

  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    PA Jamie wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So do the adults do a goddamn thing in this world

    They're mostly dead, really.

    Well, somebody's staying alive long enough to have all these kids.

Sign In or Register to comment.