As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PWG puts on best show of the year, surprising no one [WRESTLING]

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm really curious if WWE's TV numbers ever really improve that much regardless of quality. It's a miracle they've managed to even stay at this high a level in the digital age. The big thing to consider is if the declining numbers are a trend in all other forms of viewing the product.

Or it's just everyone's sick of 3 years of 3 hour Raws.

People always say, "Well, it's the digital age, it's streaming, of course the ratings went down," but I don't buy that. And my counter-argument is football. If the changing times and tech were the only factor, then one would expect the NFL to be impacted as badly as WWE, but the NFL is bigger than ever. Raw used to laugh at Monday Night Football, but now they don't even bother to try to compete.

What it really comes down to is, fans have been leaving since the close of the Monday Night War, and they aren't coming back. Nor are they being replaced, at least not as quickly as they leave. And why should they be? WWE has occasional bright spots, but on the whole, the product is really bad. The writing is nonsensical, there are no characters, and the show drags on far too long.

my only problem with this statement is... I came back. I have friends who watch now that didn't.

I also think the product is better in many ways than it was 15 years ago. clearly I prefer it since I watch now and stopped then. it was something much different culturally in the attitude era, though, and that's long gone.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I think there's entirely too much time in this thread spent worrying about things that haven't actually happened

True, but when WWE seemingly never learns its lesson it sets a precedent you know?

I realize I don't post a lot in here, but I definitely read almost every page.

And man, it feels like 90% of the time I see one of your posts, it's going to be you complaining or being pessimistic about something.

It is super tiring.

Fair enough, here's something that's neither of those things

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Eu7oFjXDPOk

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I think it's important to recognize that as much as WWE is in a creative slump and the ratings are somewhat reflecting that (and also the usual holiday ratings dive that happens every year), financially, WWE is doing better than they ever have. Even the WWE Network has reached a subscriber threshold where it's profitable (the only red ink on that balance sheet is WWE Films, which is still losing less than usual). And regardless of if they have to paper the last 20k, WrestleMania is still going to fill a 100k stadium, which means 80k paid attendance. That's a huge part of their yearly income, and it's still "selling out" in minutes. And if TNA can continue to find TV channels that will let them air the product, WWE is not going to run out of places to put their shows. If all else failed, they also have the Network as an absolute last resort.

Strictly speaking, WWE can weather this ratings slump and still have the best year of their existence financially. Despite the doom and gloom, last week's lowest rated Raw in history was still the fourth-highest rated cable show. The next PPV is being sponsored by a jewelry company, that's actually a big thing.

It's fine to be irritated by their shitty booking, but WWE's not going anywhere. Even if USA suddenly decided to back out of the contract (they won't), WWE could stick around for years just on their diversified assets.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Was last weeks the lowest rated in history? I thought that distinction goes to an episode from late 1996.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Sorry, lowest rated since 1997. That doesn't invalidate my other points, though.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Was last weeks the lowest rated in history? I thought that distinction goes to an episode from late 1996.

Lowest since '97, lowest in demographic ever

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I wonder what the numbers for house shows and merch look like

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    It is the very definition of anecdotal but the one I went to in a moderately small town in Oklahoma was, if not sold out, almost at capacity

I'd imagine they do pretty well ticket sale wise since they are at much cheaper venues

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It is the very definition of anecdotal but the one I went to in a moderately small town in Oklahoma was, if not sold out, almost at capacity

I'd imagine they do pretty well ticket sale wise since they are at much cheaper venues

my anecdotal evidence agrees with yours wholeheartedly

Kilroy on
  • Options
    AJ's hurt (back injury), might need time off to heal for the Final Battle and Wrestle Kingdom matches/main events, possibility he might miss one

Merch is up by a lot (mostly due to online), house shows is up a lot too, Network is barely up (which makes it funnier everybody touts that most for numerous reasons)

• Options
    AJ's hurt (back injury), might need time off to heal for the Final Battle and Wrestle Kingdom matches/main events, possibility he might miss one

Merch is up by a lot (mostly due to online), house shows is up a lot too, Network is barely up (which makes it funnier everybody touts that most for numerous reasons)

Hope AJ will be good for the ROH Atlanta live event in January.

And I'm curious how the Network numbers will look when they factor in the recent opening in India which unless I'm mistaken is a pretty big wrestling area?

• Options
    in other news, I had a dream last night that I was watching honma in a tag team match where he was getting pinned and his partner came in, grabbed his arm, and just pulled his shoulder off the mat instead of attacking their opponent

I think a top rope kokeshi may have also happened at some point

apparently my subconscious is a big honmamaniac

• Options
    I'm sure WWE is hoping those 3 India signees end up being good.

• Options

Lowest since '97, lowest in demographic ever

I think the lowest ever is from October 1996 which featured Jake Roberts faking being drunk to beat Jerry Lawler.

Yeah.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Stilts wrote: »
    I think there's entirely too much time in this thread spent worrying about things that haven't actually happened

True, but when WWE seemingly never learns its lesson it sets a precedent you know?

I realize I don't post a lot in here, but I definitely read almost every page.

And man, it feels like 90% of the time I see one of your posts, it's going to be you complaining or being pessimistic about something.

It is super tiring.

Fair enough, here's something that's neither of those things

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Eu7oFjXDPOk

Should I spoil CHIKARA predictions? I'm gonna spoil them, I guess.
    I'm predicting FarmerFrog wins or gets close to winning the whole thing. Depends on how strict CHIKARA sticks to the definition of "Golden Opportunity," I think. If Jervis uses his to give FarmerFrog a contract with CHIKARA, I think he doesn't win, but if "Golden Opportunity" is very strictly defined as a title shot without the points required, then I think FarmerFrog wins (or, again, gets really really close), prompting Quack to offer him a full-time spot on the CHIKARA roster.

EDIT: MEANWHILE, ELSEWHERE IN CHIKARA:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI02uc3uUsc

If Argus ends up being wrestlefriends with the Osirian Portal after this season, that'd be just fine to me. They need a good third to enter king of trios, after all.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Voices of Wrestling are saying Sami Callahan is about to sign with ROH and New Japan.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Sasha is apparently a fan of the South Korean film Memories of Murder.

Which is a great movie btw, highly recommended.

did not expect tastes of Korean movies would be a criterion to make me an even bigger fan of hers and yet here we are.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Voices of Wrestling are saying Sami Callahan is about to sign with ROH and New Japan.
    Good for him

He seems like a talented dude in ring but given his indie background and level of experience going into NXT he never got as good of a response as it looked like he would on paper

A lot of which is probably due to them doing the lamest most boring version of that hacker gimmick ever

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also it's being reported the December 21st Raw which is the Slammy awards will officially announce Minnesota as the home state of Mania 33.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Also it's being reported the December 21st Raw which is the Slammy awards will officially announce Minnesota as the home state of Mania 33.

Shouldn't that be the Christmas Raw? I don't want Santa to lose screentime to the Slammys.

• Options

Shouldn't that be the Christmas Raw? I don't want Santa to lose screentime to the Slammys.

Smackdown gets the Christmas show I'm thinking.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    in other news, I had a dream last night that I was watching honma in a tag team match where he was getting pinned and his partner came in, grabbed his arm, and just pulled his shoulder off the mat instead of attacking their opponent

I think a top rope kokeshi may have also happened at some point

apparently my subconscious is a big honmamaniac

Subconscious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaJvvUdmuP4

?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular

You don't bring Alberto Del Rio back and not have him run over Santa again.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

You don't bring Alberto Del Rio back and not have him run over Santa again.

It'll be Zeb this time, but Alberto will heroically throw himsJack Swagger between the cart and St. Mick.

• Options
    Why are you not watching DDT, Part 1294088569760: Oishi nearly convinced Honda to turn on Dino, but then video montage of their friendship plays on screen, ruining the plan

Just as Honda was about to beat Oishi, the ref refused to make the 3 count, and video montage of his [the ref's] secret friendship with Oishi plays on screen

Update, and more reason to watch DDT: World's Cutest Tag Team coming Jan 3

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I struggle to think of a spot for Callahan in New Japan. I don't see what he brings to the table at all other than yet another warm body to wear a Bullet Club t-shirt.
    I think you'd be more likely to see him hook back up with Dragon Gate and their assorted off shoots.

[edit] It seems Joey Ryan vs Danshoku Dino happened on this tour with DDT.
    It was only in a six man tag, but hopefully this leads to a singles match between the two of them and then shit can just get real. I would honestly be more hype for a singles match between those two than anything else wrestling could offer right now, it would be fucking glorious.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options

holy shit

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

holy shit

It might just be the angle but it looks like she spiked him right on his head.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    She didn't really "do" anything to him there.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    If we're being charitable then it's possible Candice started her rana momentum before the guy was based properly for the flip, but honestly it just looks like he done fucked up taking his bump.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    She didn't really "do" anything to him there.

That's fair, considering how hurricarana's work.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I want all headbutt based moves to stop, stop right now.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    I want all headbutt based moves to stop, stop right now.

On one hand I agree because concussion concerns

On the other hand Honma's the only comedy jobber left to love and I don't want that ending anytime soon :[

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    honma is not a jobber

• Options
    also it's not like honma actually hits the kokeshi with any regularity

• Options

there is a season, turn turn turn

• Options
    Getting Rollins back right after Mania would be nice.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    also it's not like honma actually hits the kokeshi with any regularity

He has about a 30% success rate, but when you're throwing 7-8 headbutt variations per match, and wrestling over a hundred times a year, then it adds up.

Honma isn't human though. I don't think a normal man could ever sustain what that guy has put his body through.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    This thread today:

Also, looking this up lead me to find a video of Honma and Tenryu having a fucked up voice competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv9DNiTbeNU

Mwx884o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.