As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Adepts are kinda bad against hydras when the adepts have to walk into range and jockey for position.

But bah gawd, if the adepts split up the hydra ball by shading in, then the hydras evaporate. It's comical.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Adepts are kinda bad against hydras when the adepts have to walk into range and jockey for position.

But bah gawd, if the adepts split up the hydra ball by shading in, then the hydras evaporate. It's comical.

adepts are a lot like marines in thatr if you can get them in a position where an entire clump is attacking at once, it's like a meat grinder.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    GSL
    Ah, drops picking apart roach/ravager play. My old friend.

I've been thinking of mixing in mutas or switching into muta/bane, but mutas didn't altogether seem very helpful when soulkey or symbol built them yesterday.

It did trigger a bit of anxiety to see my zerg bros go down like that. But Bunny's micro didn't exactly look easy, either.

@Variable

kedinik on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    @kedinik I have seeing ling/bling/muta more now on ladder for whatever that's worth. just imo don't make a lot of mutas... while a huge flock can get things done, a good player that adds in thors and liberators won't care about them much once the fight happens. the harass can be incredible, of course.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Now that it's been going on for a few weeks, I LOVE the 2day/week GSL format. It's just enough to leave me nearly satisfied, but not so much that I get overwhelmed by to much content and can't follow it all.

• Options
    while I would never turn down starcraft it is pretty satisfying. plus proleague 2 nights means there's definitely enough. SSL seems borderline random when they have their games so I've only caught vods but it's nice that it's out there.

• Options
    The old five day format was too much Starcraft. It meant that unless you devoted your entire evening to it, every evening (and I did that for most of the first 3 seasons back in 2010/2011) you had no hope of following all the games. And if you couldn't follow all the games, that meant that it was often tempting to just not watch at all since you didn't get so involved in the storylines. A bit more infrequent and I'm much more engaged.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The old five day format was too much Starcraft. It meant that unless you devoted your entire evening to it, every evening (and I did that for most of the first 3 seasons back in 2010/2011) you had no hope of following all the games. And if you couldn't follow all the games, that meant that it was often tempting to just not watch at all since you didn't get so involved in the storylines. A bit more infrequent and I'm much more engaged.

i actually felt the opposite. it was cool that every day after work i could come home and there would be starcraft on. i didn't care about the storylines or who was playing as long as it was a good game on.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Dhalphir wrote: »

i actually felt the opposite. it was cool that every day after work i could come home and there would be starcraft on. i didn't care about the storylines or who was playing as long as it was a good game on.

Well, if you're not watching every day then it will still take you a week or more to get through two full days of Starcraft in VOD form, and Afreeca is super good about putting their VODs up on Youtube almost immediately. I usually finish Friday's games just as Wednesday is rolling around again.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    Anyone played the proposed balance changes? Myself, I hatehatehate the idea, but haven't actually tried them.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    GSL.
    Curious threw away a massive lead in game 1 against Cure.

Like, god damn.

• Options
    zakkiel wrote: »
    Anyone played the proposed balance changes? Myself, I hatehatehate the idea, but haven't actually tried them.

The removal of the siege tank pickup? They're still deciding on that.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/20742714240

• Options
    that's sad. I can see that it's super strong in some hands but it's ... fucking awesome.

• Options
    I don't think they're removing it for balance reasons, I think they're worried that the siege tank loses its identity as a space-controlling unit if it can be easily repositioned anywhere.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I thought they proposed removing sieged-tank drops to help balance a weaker corrosive bile (which would be weakened to balance strong ZvP aggression).

kedinik on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    that's sad. I can see that it's super strong in some hands but it's ... fucking awesome.
    I'd agree, if it didn't go against my very being saying anything terran is awesome, and I don't see tank pickup being some kind of impassable hurdle in the current game? Strange to hear them talk about removing it...

Especially if it means a nerf to Ravager biles ):<

• Options
    edited February 2016
    What is best in life?

To crush your enemy's cheesy cloak-banshee opener.

To see his mech follow-up driven before you.

kedinik on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    I'd agree, if it didn't go against my very being saying anything terran is awesome, and I don't see tank pickup being some kind of impassable hurdle in the current game? Strange to hear them talk about removing it...

Especially if it means a nerf to Ravager biles ):<

Somehow buffing the unsieged damage makes it worse. Unsieged tanks are never gonna be much of a thing. They're slow, they're big, they can't concave for shit, they have zero synergy with anything else in Terran.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So I used to play a lot of SC2 (diamond rank 8 in season 1 - hi @Variable) and recently got back into watching streams. Other than what's listed in the OP, are there any good Youtube channels to check out?

• Options
    The best games imo are at twitch.tv/gsl

Vods are free, they aren't cut up by game which may me less than ideal but I still recommend it.

On youtube the user esportstv has proleague and ssl games up individually. They aren't in order unfortunately but AFAIK that's the only way to watch them.

If you wanna actually follow any of these tourneys liquipedia is great although it will spoil you. It's kept super up to date and has links to vods. I don't have the exact address on my phone but Google liquipedia

@TL DR

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I believe this is what Vari's talking about:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Premier_Tournaments

Both the Premier and Major tournament lists are legit.

Obviously Premier are the big ones that count towards Blizz-con points.
    I'm not sure if the Major tournaments offer Blizz-con points.
    Maybe some do?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    The best games imo are at twitch.tv/gsl

Vods are free, they aren't cut up by game which may me less than ideal but I still recommend it.

On youtube the user esportstv has proleague and ssl games up individually. They aren't in order unfortunately but AFAIK that's the only way to watch them.

If you wanna actually follow any of these tourneys liquipedia is great although it will spoil you. It's kept super up to date and has links to vods. I don't have the exact address on my phone but Google liquipedia

@TL DR

It's a little bit easier to watch the gsl on YouTube, afreeca tv channel

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Holy shit, that g3 of Snute/Major on ESL!
    Edit: Oshi- bo5?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Holy shit, that g3 of Snute/Major on ESL!
    Edit: Oshi- bo5?

Yup. That was an amazing series in general.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    it will be available here later today, or at latest tomorrow.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Tasteless and Artosis' banter is still as charming as ever.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Invictus wrote: »
    it will be available here later today, or at latest tomorrow.

I watched Nerchio v. Showtime at that link.

Nerchio's playstyle reminds me very much of IdrA.

It did not really seem like a match against an opponent. More like a duel between Nerchio's bad strategic decisions and Nerchio's strong mechanics.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Have Collossi been nerfed or something? Noone uses them anymore...

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    20% less damage
    29% less attack speed
    29% less move speed

And Disruptors were added as an alternative on top of those heavy nerfs.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ...dayum.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    20% less damage
    29% less attack speed
    29% less move speed

And Disruptors were added as an alternative on top of those heavy nerfs.

You forgot the range nerf! upgraded, they have one less range: if I remember correctly, 8 instead of 9.

• Options
    my micro vs disruptors makes me miss them

which turns my stomach to say :P

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Liquipedia says its 6(+3) for both versions.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    my micro vs disruptors makes me miss them

which turns my stomach to say :P

Yeah, disruptors so stronk.

Don't think I'd build colossi if I played protoss.

• Options
    Considering how much Roaches has become the order of the day for zerg I'm surprised burrow isn't used more for topping them off in between skirmishes? You hardly ever see burrow, except for the occasional Infestor use.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    It's soooooo useful too.

It's super annoying on enemy expansions and super sexy scouting!

Also, infestors come with burrow already available, I believe.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Yesterday's GSL was great.

Seems like everyone has developed a much better understanding of LotV compared to launch.

And lots of ups and downs in that last game.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Played a ZvT today.

He's aggressive for a while but it is not very effective. His macro seems off; he never has much stuff.

I shut down a few attempts to take a third and he gg's. Odd how easy the game was.

Oh hey it turns out he's in master league, but as zerg.

~*Case Closed*~

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm watching some Katowice vods.

Snute vs. Major was fantastic. @Variable @Yilias
    Major's incredible.

Reminded me of, like, a MaruPrime back in his prime :P

Great macro. Almost constantly with 2 to 4 drops or pushes or liberator zones on mineral lines. Rarely hit by corrosive bile unless fungal had pinned his units in place.

It seems like his only weakness was a total failure to split his air units against parasitic bomb.

But that did turn out to be an expensive and fatal problem.

kedinik on
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    Played a ZvT today.

He's aggressive for a while but it is not very effective. His macro seems off; he never has much stuff.

I shut down a few attempts to take a third and he gg's. Odd how easy the game was.

Oh hey it turns out he's in master league, but as zerg.

~*Case Closed*~

I think a lot of Zergs underestimate how difficult it is to play Terran. They think "hey I can do a few drops and a-move some marines better than these scrubs"

Turns out that drops need to be micro'd, which is really hard to do without losing some macro, and more significantly your army is very fragile and ALSO has to be watched all the time or it explodes into a red mist.