As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - EVERYONE

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Has Dark Pit managed to pick up the same sort of fanbase that insists he's a totally different character than the one he's cloned from and needs to continue to exist that Falco did?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If the game is a sequel, then Dark Pit will either get baked into Pit's recolors (presumably they've had the time to fix the issues with the engine that necessitated him being a standalone character) or they will differentiate him further from Pit. Because while I'm not against clones, the Pits are so similar they occupy the same tier in most cases.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    (presumably they've had the time to fix the issues with the engine that necessitated him being a standalone character)

this one's not being cloned for the 3ds so I'm thinking a lot of issues are gonna get resolved

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If the game is a sequel, then Dark Pit will either get baked into Pit's recolors (presumably they've had the time to fix the issues with the engine that necessitated him being a standalone character) or they will differentiate him further from Pit. Because while I'm not against clones, the Pits are so similar they occupy the same tier in most cases.

In wishlist world, I would be fine with Dark Pit staying on if they took Pit back the Brawl version of his specials, where he fights with the Three Sacred Treasures. Let Dark Pit be the Uprising gameplay guy, and let Pit represent his first game.

On an unrelated note, that "accuracy, not wishlists" rule from the contest is biting me in the ass. It turns out that it's difficult to determine if a character that comes to mind is something that would actually happen, or if it's just what you want to see on the roster.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Just assume there will be 25 newcomers and if you can't think of that many likely ones, put whoever you want in out of desperation

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    To me, It’s more fun if you basically put in a wishlist rather than go for accuracy.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Kupi have you considered changing people's entries at random, it would be more welcoming to casual poll takers and honestly I think it takes more skill to be able to be able to handle the random aspects

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Y'all are gonna go deep into the negative if you're not careful. On the first party side I can think of a few low hanging fruit characters and a few stretches, but they've covered all their franchises pretty well by now. Most of the room for roster growth is in third party characters and I'm not confident enough to guess any of those given the politics involved. Also remember DLC doesn't count unless it's announced by launch.

Zek on
  • Options
    Go big or go home says me

If you don't wind up like + 40 can you even call it a victory

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    My votes in the prediction thing:

- Fox only
    - Final Destination
    - no items

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Has Dark Pit managed to pick up the same sort of fanbase that insists he's a totally different character than the one he's cloned from and needs to continue to exist that Falco did?

I doubt it, because he isn't as baseline popular as Falco is (sadly, not many people played KI:U), but also because the differences between Pit and Dark Pit aren't quite as pronounced, and neither character is a top-tier choice in the competitive scene (meaning less people getting really passionate about them).

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    New smash will be a CCG.

First expansion will feature any character that's ever touched a sword.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    New smash will be a CCG.

First expansion will feature any character that's ever touched a sword.

Break out the protractors kids, it's time to DI

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    edit: deleted bad joke

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular

Wait, Dark Pit had to become a separate character because of some technical issues? I don't understand.

In any case, I can't see him coming back for Smash 5, except maybe as a costume for Pit.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They brought back every other clone but Pichu in other games.

I think the default assumption should be that he returns.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    If we can't get Phoenix Wright for the next Smash, just add Detective Pikachu please.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Enlong wrote: »

Wolf was cut from Smash 4. And a number of clones were cut from Brawl. Not to mention all the cuts of real characters, only some of which were brought back as DLC. Dark Pit is easily the #1 most vulnerable character on the roster. The only way I see him staying is if Sakurai chooses not to cut anyone.

Zek on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Wolf was cut from Smash 4. And a number of clones were cut from Brawl. Not to mention all the cuts of real characters, only some of which were brought back as DLC. Dark Pit is easily the #1 most vulnerable character on the roster. The only way I see him staying is if Sakurai chooses not to cut anyone.

Keep in mind Sakurai changes his mind a LOT. He decreed that no one from Animal Crossing could be playable in Brawl because there wasn't any combat in those games, but he obviously changed his mind for 4. Also Dark Pit is his creation, so he could have a soft spot for the guy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

I actually missed Wolf. Given the choice between Wolf and Falco I would take Wolf any day. Of course both would be the best option. I don't mind the clones but still want them to feel distinct to play even if the move sets appear similar on the surface.

If they choose not to bring back custom move sets they have a lot of move variants they could reuse as a basis for clone characters and provide more playable characters overall. Give us some more F-Zero characters using the extra moves from Captain Falcon/Ganondorf, other Team Star Fox members from the leftover Fox/Falco moves, etc.

I think the most annoying thing about custom moves in Smash 4 was how long it took to unlock them all.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Hell, Fox had two of Wolf's moves in his customs.

Then again, Ness had Lucas versions of his own specials. And then Lucas came back. Not that Lucas or Wolf are really clones, but...

Enlong on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »

I actually missed Wolf. Given the choice between Wolf and Falco I would take Wolf any day. Of course both would be the best option. I don't mind the clones but still want them to feel distinct to play even if the move sets appear similar on the surface.

If they choose not to bring back custom move sets they have a lot of move variants they could reuse as a basis for clone characters and provide more playable characters overall. Give us some more F-Zero characters using the extra moves from Captain Falcon/Ganondorf, other Team Star Fox members from the leftover Fox/Falco moves, etc.

I think the most annoying thing about custom moves in Smash 4 was how long it took to unlock them all.
    Why not both!
    MccloudX.gif

Imagine Melee Fox with Captain Falcon's knee.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    skeldare wrote: »
    If we can't get Phoenix Wright for the next Smash, just add Detective Pikachu please.

At least let it be a Pikachu costume- his costumes are already just different hats anyway! Across the board I would love it if characters got more alternate costumes. Let Mario wear his tux from Odyssey, have Link be able to swap between OOT/TP/SS/BOTW costumes, have Samus' costumes actually be her different armors instead of just recolors, etc. It's a big undertaking and doesn't contribute much "content" to the game, but I would love it.

edit: just realized there is already sort of precedent for this with the Bowser Jr. / Koopaling clown car, even.

TDawg on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    TDawg wrote: »

At least let it be a Pikachu costume- his costumes are already just different hats anyway! Across the board I would love it if characters got more alternate costumes. Let Mario wear his tux from Odyssey, have Link be able to swap between OOT/TP/SS/BOTW costumes, have Samus' costumes actually be her different armors instead of just recolors, etc. It's a big undertaking and doesn't contribute much "content" to the game, but I would love it.

I really hope they go wild with the Inklings; each different alt color slot should have an entirely different outfit from the games. Playing dress-up and picking out a fresh look (or maxing stats, if you're some kinda dork :P ) is such a big part of Splatoon that it'd feel like a huge cop-out if it's just the default boy/girl with like 4 different ink colors each.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I really hope they go wild with the Inklings; each different alt color slot should have an entirely different outfit from the games. Playing dress-up and picking out a fresh look (or maxing stats, if you're some kinda dork :P ) is such a big part of Splatoon that it'd feel like a huge cop-out if it's just the default boy/girl with like 4 different ink colors each.

And each outfit reps a different in-game brand.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Frem wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

And each outfit reps a different in-game brand.

Although if each outfit has to be all one brand, then we couldn't have the standard biker-inkling from Splatoon 1:
    • Pilot's Goggles by Forge
    • Black Inky Rider by Rockenberg
    • Blue Moto Boots (or Moto Boots) by Rockenberg
    tdzdxnw22ct7.jpg
    lgfat59r0a6u.jpg
    dxq9rzzzapty.jpg
    IIRC, the only headwear Rockenberg made was the Aviators, which works if you're going for a Tom Cruise in Top Gun look, I guess.
    ybv0io0od8ga.jpg

Also, Forge didn't make shoes, so no cute RAF Inklings; Edit: Good news! They added a pair of Ghillie Boots by Forge in Splatoon 2. Military cosplayers rejoice!
    dgl59t3i2sqc.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

@Radius brought up the idea of sorting the Fire Emblem characters by archetype and having the alts be various characters, and... I've spent way too much time trying to figure out who would make it in.
    Going by mostly who I think would be in, with a little bit of sway from who I want (though definitely not a list of my favourites). I tried to look at who's done well in the FE:Heroes polls, FE:Warriors inclusions, and DLC characters for Awakening and such. Custom moves would include Roy's moveset. Asterisks denote who I'd bounce for new FE:Switch characters:

Marth // Leif* // Roy // Lyn // Eirika // Lucina // Ryoma // Alm

Ike // Minerva // Seliph* // Hector // Titania // Chrom // Camilla // Xander

Robin M // Robin F // Lilina* // Soren // Macaiah // Tharja // Leo // Celica

Sharena // Caeda // Finn* // Ephraim // Nephenee // Donnel // Azura // Hinoka

Takumi // Shinon // Gaius // Olivia // Niles* // Anna // Emma // Faye

Corrin F // Corrin M // Nagi // Ninian* // Kurthnaga // Tiki // Grima M // Grima F

(And characters who I've had "in" at certain points only to remove them: Altena, Sigurd, Oboro, Camus, Innes, Pent, Louise, Zelgius, Zephiel, Randal, Yuzu, Shade, Oifey, Cain, Abel, Elincia, Duma, Mila, Sophia.)

This would include all the main lords (except Eliwood - but Hector's the real hero of FE7 - and Sigurd - but Seliph's there). Most of the Fates Royals sneak in, because that seems to be standard practise now. Sharena and Emma are included as nods to FE:Heroes and FE0:Cipher. Takumi is popular enough that he gets to headline the Bow archetype. I have Sharena for the Lance wielder, but am hoping that FE:Switch will have a standout character who can take that mantle.

Corrin presents a problem, as while her moveset/playstyle is pretty fun, there aren't really enough Manakete in Fire Emblem to fill out her alts (keeping in mind that characters would have to share the same skeletons - ie. Myrrh and Fae are tiny girls). And no one wants to play as Bantu. Best I could come up with was to use Grima in a similar fashion to FE:Heroes (ie. Robin). I had considered characters like Sophia (who are dragon blood but don't transform) and have kept in Ninian (for now), as well as divine dragons like Duma and Mila, but... ehhh...

I considered moving Corrin to Marth's alts, but that's already overly cramped. I had to put Chrom and Seliph in Ike's wheelhouse, which works okay for Chrom but is a bit of a stretch for Seliph (and requires a giant Tyrfing and, I don't know, some kind of glow-y effect to extend Falchion).

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Nino did her best and this is the thanks she gets

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I’m sure Ryan Reynolds would be up for recording some lines for em. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »

Why not both!
    MccloudX.gif

Imagine Melee Fox with Captain Falcon's knee.

I would be all for hybrid characters being a new thing. I just want a huge roster of characters and there are lots of secondary and tertiary characters from franchises that might not warrant the work of a full character move set but would still make fans happy if they were playable instead of just being an assist trophy.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Nino did her best and this is the thanks she gets

If Nino gets in, I'm buying two copies of the game.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    How bad is it that that I prefer Smash 4 Fox over Brawl Fox

edit: a word

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Never heard of either of those two

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They will add something like Baby Mario instead of Waluigi, and there will be a reckoning.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They will add something like Baby Mario instead of Waluigi, and there will be a reckoning.

Problem is that Peach already uses a lot of the options for Waluigi on her A moves.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    We have nearly a dozen sword wielders, some of whom even come from different games from each other.

I think the world can handle two racquet wielders.

• Options
    There's definitely a place for Waluigi as the representative of all the spinoff games. i.e. Kart, Tennis, Golf, Strikers, and Party. Lots of moves to choose from in there.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    If they can turn Wii Fit Trainer into a fighting game character, they can do the same for Waluigi.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    If they can turn Wii Fit Trainer into a fighting game character, they can do the same for Waluigi.

Sign my Change.org Petition, "Make Waluigi a Clone of Wii Fit Trainer in Smash for Switch"

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    What are the chances Bayonetta will be part of Smash Switch? I know Mario's new hat is going to be part of it, I just can't fathom how since he's always the cornerstone of the normal brawl roster.

Also, I'm hoping for Cloud playable again.

oHw5R0V.jpg
This discussion has been closed.