Options

SEGA finding new ways to disappoint us in 2024

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I didn't care for it as much either but I have only ever played CD a tiny bit and I'd already played all the genesis ones a ton so I was pretty biased

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The last sonic game I played was the Dark Brotherhood on the ds
    I really don't remember it as I know I have it and played it but I feel my mind blocked out those memories for my own safety

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I should maybe try to finish generations.

I really don't like the modern sonic stages much though in that.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The sonic heroes logo is basically a fidget spinner

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    it seems inspired by CD to you? more than the genesis games?

Whether or not Mania as a whole is inspired by CD, it does seem odd to leave CD out of the elevator bit when Stardust Speedway is in the game.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah that's truuuuue

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's the mainline series. Like, CD was done by a different team and likely played by few people due to the nature of perpherials.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I only ever played CD on PC since Sega put out an official version in the early 00s

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »

Someone at sega just opened up twitter, saw this, and threw their phone through the window

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Someone at sega just opened up twitter, saw this, and threw their phone out the window

There's no way to win. I personally feel like the ideal is the Shovel Knight situation where it's like how you REMEMBER the old games being like in their most idealized forms, but even then you'll get people complaining that the physics are wrong or something.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Isn't Mania a pure fanmade game

Did anyone expect it not to be a 16 bit love letter, flaws and all?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    but that's from Arthur Gies, who sucks

Counterpoint from Danielle Riendeau, a smart great person

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Let me tell you about a 16 bit love letter called freedom planet

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Also 7 out of 10 isn't bad at all.

The original Sonic games were about that score as well IMO.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Isn't Mania a pure fanmade game

Did anyone expect it not to be a 16 bit love letter, flaws and all?

I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. AM2R, for example, is a fan game that builds on and improves not only the original Metroid 2, but the gameplay style of the last 2D entries in the franchise, Fusion and Zero Mission.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Yeah on the whole I think it's a fair review and about what I was expecting

It's just that I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be told for decades to make a game like the old ones and then get told that you made it too much like the old ines

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Gies isn't wrong that classic Sonic's controls aren't the most fine-tuned for precise platforming sections, and that it's really easy to get hung up on stuff that looks like you should've missed because your hitbox doesn't match your sprite very well. So in that, his review does have a point

To make a bit of a deep cut here, I am reminded of the Penny Arcade guys telling that dude Alex from the Strip Search reality show that not only was it interesting to see him mimicking their art style from a few years, but also their rookie mistakes

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

I'm really glad that it lets you opt out of getting the story stuff, but also disappointed that there are still bosses with annoying voice lines.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Yeah on the whole I think it's a fair review and about what I was expecting

It's just that I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be told for decades to make a game like the old ones and then get told that you made it too much like the old ines

I mean, learning it was Arthur Gies would make me feel better about it, he barely counts

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Arthur Gies is leaving polygon and that's very good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »

I'm really glad that it lets you opt out of getting the story stuff, but also disappointed that there are still bosses with annoying voice lines.

I've had enough of your Kung-fu tricks!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    For the first 8-9 years of my life I played Sonic 2 more than any other game by a margin so wide it's kind of staggering (though I was bad at the game and didn't like challenge at the time so I never tried to progress too far)

Gonna have to pick up Sonic Mania. Old school Sonic nostalgia married to more modern level design sensibilities? Yeah, I'm for that

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Loaded up Sonic CD to try out my new 8bitdo controller, God damn I forgot how hard that game is.

Like, just getting through the stages isn't that hard. But getting the Time Stones or destroying the Robotnic machines in the past to rewrite the future? Good fucking luck.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    has anyone been able to get this on switch yet? They usually update their stuff at midnight local time but it doesn't look like it's up for purchase yet

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Oh man, I was actually deliberating which platform I want this for.

Switch in mobile mode sounds like a fantastic fit for it.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    has anyone been able to get this on switch yet? They usually update their stuff at midnight local time but it doesn't look like it's up for purchase yet

I think it's 9 am PST for digital releases

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    this game is fucking amazing

i lost my mind at the chemical plant zone boss

every weird little mechanic from the levels being represented is twisted and reimagined and it all just feels so dang fresh in spite of how much it's cribbing from older games

also the fuckin' mirage saloon boss. they did it, those bastards actually did it

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I'm a cynical bastard with no special love for sega

but it's really very nice that there's a quality sonic game, both for the franchise and the long time, long suffering fans

and it should be celebrated for that, without sarcastic caveats

good on you, sonic

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

I think it's 9 am PST for digital releases

I am definitely going to have my Switch out at noon in the lunch room at work showing this thing off. A second player can still control Tails, right?

• Options
    okay i found a nitpick

spoilers? I guess?
    You can unlock moves like the super peel out or sonic's weird force field thing from 3, but they're only available for use if you choose to launch a game with no saves for some reason

• Options
    okay i found a nitpick

spoilers? I guess?
    You can unlock moves like the super peel out or sonic's weird force field thing from 3, but they're only available for use if you choose to launch a game with no saves for some reason

That's gotta be a bug, right?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    okay i found a nitpick

spoilers? I guess?

i don't think so
    when you hover the cursor over the "no save" slot on the file select, the icon to delete your save changes to an icon that says "Secrets," and pushing the button opens up a menu where you can toggle that stuff. I only have a few things unlocked right now but for instance I can switch sonic between Mania, CD, and S3&K mode and that changes which extra ability he has when you play without a save file

maybe it's an achievement thing or something? Regardless of the reason I hope they change it

• Options
    okay i found a nitpick

spoilers? I guess?

i don't think so
    when you hover the cursor over the "no save" slot on the file select, the icon to delete your save changes to an icon that says "Secrets," and pushing the button opens up a menu where you can toggle that stuff. I only have a few things unlocked right now but for instance I can switch sonic between Mania, CD, and S3&K mode and that changes which extra ability he has when you play without a save file

maybe it's an achievement thing or something? Regardless of the reason I hope they change it
    That's a really weird decision. Having to start a new save I could understand but not letting you save at all just seems bad.

cdci44qazyo3.gif