Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I finally got my first legendary bow drop, and boy is it a doozy. +11% Hunter damage, extra poison damage. Oh, and all Normal arrows are poison arrows.

Holy shit.

I needs this in my life, what's the name?

Fanged Bow. Location spoilered.
    It’s in a chest on Naxos, in a cave called Cave of Mt Zas.

It’s actually +15% Hunter damage and +20% Poison damage.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I got all five of Theseus' armor and didn't get anything for wearing them all at once so I think there isn't anything. They're just ugly with bad stats.

I didn't even bother wearing them for that quest.

The Theseus armor set should be able to be completely replaced and still provide a set bonus.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So I finished the "main" story. It was okay? Not as good as origins. I find I'm missing the dramatic pseudo-supernatural cut scenes after assassinating some of the baddies. I haven't finished any of the major side quests though, so maybe there's some meat there. Still like Kassandra. I'm enjoying having
    Mom and Alexios
    as lieutenants too. That said, I love the open world, game systems and side quests enough that it doesn't bother me too much. These games seem to just peter out in the end and I don't quite get it. But I would say personally the enjoyment in this game, and origins, just comes from roaming around finding new places and new things to do. I do wish the story managed to raise stakes/build tension better though. I'm reserving final judgement until I finish
    Killing all the cultists and the gates of atlantis stuff.

I'm 47 and I left most of the zones untouched except for story stuff though, so I still have plenty to do that I look forward to doing.

soylenth on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm about to hit 50 and I only just finished up the three leads you get from the party in Athens.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I got through Athens at level 29 but the naval combat took a long while to click for me.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    I got all five of Theseus' armor and didn't get anything for wearing them all at once so I think there isn't anything. They're just ugly with bad stats.

I didn't even bother wearing them for that quest.

The Theseus armor set should be able to be completely replaced and still provide a set bonus.

This hasn’t got enough recognition

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    They haven't really added anything to the store that makes me want to spend money. Origins had that sweet mummy outfit, but so far Odyssey is just lame outfits and ship stuff. If Ubisoft really wanted to rake in microtransaction dough, they'd add some utility to that Pegasus skin for Phobos and let you fly around with it. It'd trivialize the need for the ship, but who cares, that would be awesome.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    How does Odyssey's combat compare to Origins? I found the latter game's combat functional but not all that enjoyable and definitely not very visceral. The animations are great, but the combat itself always felt lacking to me. (I just encountered Curse of the Pharaoh's Nefertiti this morning and she reminded me that fighting enemies with large health bars always results in uninteresting, drawn-out wars of attrition.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I just started this last night... are the hit boxes just janked up or was something weird happening in my game?

Using a sword and the first fight seemed fine. But then as I went a bit further my guy would just twirl around right next to enemy and not actually hit them. Like standing as close as possible and doing a full sword combo and then maybe 1 hit would register and deal damage out of the whole combo. Sometime a few hits would register but it never seemed to match what was happening visually. It's really bizarre.

• Options
    I just started this last night... are the hit boxes just janked up or was something weird happening in my game?

Using a sword and the first fight seemed fine. But then as I went a bit further my guy would just twirl around right next to enemy and not actually hit them. Like standing as close as possible and doing a full sword combo and then maybe 1 hit would register and deal damage out of the whole combo. Sometime a few hits would register but it never seemed to match what was happening visually. It's really bizarre.

There's a little bit of jank there, especially with overcharge attacks for spears. Also I sometimes just stab the air a bunch during combat finisher animations. It shouldn't be an all the time thing for you, though. Were you locked on to the enemy? If not, I find that tilting the left stick towards the enemy you want to attack usually helps.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

There's a little bit of jank there, especially with overcharge attacks for spears. Also I sometimes just stab the air a bunch during combat finisher animations. It shouldn't be an all the time thing for you, though. Were you locked on to the enemy? If not, I find that tilting the left stick towards the enemy you want to attack usually helps.

Yea it was mostly while fighting the first bounty hunter guy. I was locked on and it was just janking up a storm.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I found lock on to be detrimental in most cases, especially when fighting multiple enemies.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I found lock on flips between enemies sometimes which just made things frustrating.

Completed the storyline that relates to modern day goings on, it was a bit of a letdown. Some of it didn't make a lot of sense. I understand what they were going for but I have no real interest in the modern day characters, I don't even find myself intrigued by them. I am considering getting Origins though at some point given how much I liked Odyssey.

Nosf on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    I found lock on to be detrimental in most cases, especially when fighting multiple enemies.

Yeah I found combat made much more sense if I took off the lock-on.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Can I tell you about heavy blades and how you won't need to target hardly at all with their heavy sweeping attacks?

• Options
    I will try without using lock tonight. Thanks guys!

• Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    Does this one spoil anything from Origins? I still have that one sitting on the backlog pile...

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    For groups of mooks, my go to is that sweet sweet level 3 overcharged bow shot. It's deliciously ridiculous and OP. Coupled with a certainly legendary axe allowing me to used overcharge attacks at 2 stamina pips instead of three, I'm just bow shotting 24/7.

I also enjoy using spears because I like the combat animations. Especially dodge+light attack that lets you do that Brad Pitt Achilles superman spear punch.

Kinda wish there was more passives or something for ability points. Just hit level 47, but I've basically just been ranking stuff up to use the points. My skills have been set for a while now. Health regen, Heroic Strike, The shield bash thing, and spear toss assassination. All rank 3 and I don't really have the need for anything else.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Koldanar wrote: »
    Does this one spoil anything from Origins? I still have that one sitting on the backlog pile...

Not so far (as of mid chapter 6). Other than maybe the end of the modern day bit from Origins, if you care about that. It's set about 400 years before Origins so it'd be hard to spoil the story there other than via retroactive foreshadowing.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This game is great. My gear was lagging behind a bit so I climbed to the top of a fort, shot a couple dozen arrows at fools, and waited for reinforcements to show up. Then when they did I kicked so many captains and at least 5 bounty hunters off the side and when I jumped down I got 2 contracts done and I had a pile of purple and gold armor to wear.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Koldanar wrote: »

Not so far (as of mid chapter 6). Other than maybe the end of the modern day bit from Origins, if you care about that. It's set about 400 years before Origins so it'd be hard to spoil the story there other than via retroactive foreshadowing.

Does it play better than Origins? I'm worried if I pick this up now (itching for a new console game) that I'll never go back!

• Options
    It refined what Origins started, and yes plays better. But I don’t think it should deter you from Origins, which is still a mighty fine game.

• Options
    It refined what Origins started, and yes plays better. But I don’t think it should deter you from Origins, which is still a mighty fine game.

Good. I just...well, I tend to like shiny new games, and Origins has been sitting (it got usurped by GOW when that came out, so I only put about 5 hours in). I still want to play it and see Bayek's story, but I kinda want Odyssey (and I can get it for free atm).

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I mean, if you can get it for free, I'd pick it up given you sound like you'll definitely get around to it, even if you take a Bayek shaped detour first.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The ending to Black Flag makes sense to people who played other games in the series, right? Just ending at a play seems odd, like I'm missing something.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    The ending to Black Flag makes sense to people who played other games in the series, right? Just ending at a play seems odd, like I'm missing something.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rktLqWGgXWo
    The kid with Edward is Haytham, in the same Opera House.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    How does Odyssey's combat compare to Origins? I found the latter game's combat functional but not all that enjoyable and definitely not very visceral. The animations are great, but the combat itself always felt lacking to me. (I just encountered Curse of the Pharaoh's Nefertiti this morning and she reminded me that fighting enemies with large health bars always results in uninteresting, drawn-out wars of attrition.)

It's noticeably better. Blocking is much more functional, although not an instant win button. You still have to learn when to dodge and when to parry. Once you get your skills and stat stacking going it becomes very fluid. I'm full assassin spec with some judicious warrior skills and conquest battles went from "maaaaybe getting a win" to "cutting my way from captain to captain, decimating the enemy," although still with enough challenge to be fun. Definitely some hp sponges, especially at the beginning, but if you're charging adrenaline on the little guys, your abilities should eventually be cutting even high hp enemies down pretty quickly. But you still have to be decent at the combat fundamentals to charge andrenaline, so it feels like a nice balance to me.

• Options

The Pirate trilogy is weird in that they came out out of order in terms of the past and future sequence. Even the future sequence isn't cohesive between AC3, Black Flag and Rogue. You play
    Edward's grandson, then Edward, then Haytham and the Templars running riot between the two.
    Kind of odd, but I liked the trilogy overall. I'm not sure what order I'd recommend any one play them though. Although I may do a 4, rogue, 3 run now that 3 is getting a remaster, and I have yet to play the rogue remaster.

Although Ima take a break from AC for little a bit after Odyssey. I love Kassandra and the game world but good lord is there a lot of stuff to do.

Speaking of, at 47 I'm done with the "main" story and find myself wanting to rush to 50 because the next stuff I want to do requires 50. So I bought the 2-hour drachmae and ubisoft boost from the ubisoft club thing (because what else am I going to be doing with these ubisoft club credits?) and a bunch of conquest battles opened up and that boosted me through pretty quickly to almost 50. I don't think it was necessary, but I do get the complaints that you have to "grind" to 50 once the story is done. I also think it is not a grind in the traditional sense, and there is more than enough fun stuff to do on the way to merit an incentive to actually explore the world, but I understand why people get impatient at some point. But it still feels like a "glut of content with some gatekeeping" problem rather than a "not much content, so grind it repeatedly to level" problem. I am curious how my urge to clear question marks changes once I'm not getting experience or bonus points for it.

I still think hunting and unmasking
    cultists
    through exploring the world and side quests is fun and rewarding though.

• Options
    Also, ubisoft went me an ad for an alexios statue. I like it, but i don't $750 like it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »

The Pirate trilogy is weird in that they came out out of order in terms of the past and future sequence. Even the future sequence isn't cohesive between AC3, Black Flag and Rogue. You play
    Edward's grandson, then Edward, then Haytham and the Templars running riot between the two.
    Kind of odd, but I liked the trilogy overall. I'm not sure what order I'd recommend any one play them though. Although I may do a 4, rogue, 3 run now that 3 is getting a remaster, and I have yet to play the rogue remaster.

Although Ima take a break from AC for little a bit after Odyssey. I love Kassandra and the game world but good lord is there a lot of stuff to do.

Speaking of, at 47 I'm done with the "main" story and find myself wanting to rush to 50 because the next stuff I want to do requires 50. So I bought the 2-hour drachmae and ubisoft boost from the ubisoft club thing (because what else am I going to be doing with these ubisoft club credits?) and a bunch of conquest battles opened up and that boosted me through pretty quickly to almost 50. I don't think it was necessary, but I do get the complaints that you have to "grind" to 50 once the story is done. I also think it is not a grind in the traditional sense, and there is more than enough fun stuff to do on the way to merit an incentive to actually explore the world, but I understand why people get impatient at some point. But it still feels like a "glut of content with some gatekeeping" problem rather than a "not much content, so grind it repeatedly to level" problem. I am curious how my urge to clear question marks changes once I'm not getting experience or bonus points for it.

cultists

I would recommend release order. It'd be too weird to go from a sailing open world to a nearly completely optional sailing mini-game if you played 4 then 3 for chronological order. Plus 4 is meant to end in a melancholy way, which you would not know if you didn't play 3 first. And Rogue completely depends on you knowing all the characters to know why it is subversive in the first place.

• Options

cultists

I would recommend release order. It'd be too weird to go from a sailing open world to a nearly completely optional sailing mini-game if you played 4 then 3 for chronological order. Plus 4 is meant to end in a melancholy way, which you would not know if you didn't play 3 first. And Rogue completely depends on you knowing all the characters to know why it is subversive in the first place.

This is probably good advice for a first-timer, I agree. I think since I have already played the rest I will try a 4, rogue, 3 just for fun though, since I already have all that subtext.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

cultists

This is probably good advice for a first-timer, I agree. I think since I have already played the rest I will try a 4, rogue, 3 just for fun though, since I already have all that subtext.
    It’s even weirder though, because 3 has some flashback timelines that coincide with Rogue. AND then Freedom Cry fits very neatly in between 4 and Rogue. Adewale is a very good character.

• Options
    With the Remasters, I’m not seeing any of them on the Uplay PC store. Are the PC versions automatically upgraded to Remasters?

• Options
    With the Remasters, I’m not seeing any of them on the Uplay PC store. Are the PC versions automatically upgraded to Remasters?

I own AC3 and Liberation on PC, but I have a separate "coming soon" tile in my library for AC3 Remastered, so I can only infer that it will be a separate product and not an upgrade. I only have this tile because of the Odyssey season pass though, I don't think it's hooked into the store yet, which makes sense as there's not a release date announced beyond "march maybe?"

bzvu7k1w41je.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Odd I can’t find the other Remasters on the PC store anywhere.

I finally got to Messara, and got myself the chest of the Amazon set. I had the legs already and wanted a different look to the Agamemnon set I’ve been rocking for 15 hours.

Holy shit Kassandra is built. You see her arms in other armour but the Amazon amour really shows her physique off. I’m surprised enemies don’t just run away when they see her running at them.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Alright, figured out why my combat was MEGA janky. It was a bug with the specific weapon.

With more testing the first hit of its combo straight up never deals damage or connects with a hit. The swing after that only connects about 50% of the time. The rest of the combo also seems to have a chance to fail. On top of that the animation is janked up and moves slightly faster and just... weirder than the normal sword combo. So it looks off and you just can't deal damage with a lot of hits. Which also means the enemy does not get hit stunned so it feels even worse because they just hit you mid combo as your weapon goes through them.

Tried a different weapon and problem went away. But if I switch back the same thing happens 100% of the time. Weird!

Game is WAY more enjoyable now that the combat feels better.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Talking of janky combat: that fight with Nefertiti is getting close to making me give up on Curse of the Pharaohs. Fighting a damage sponge simply isn't fun, especially considering how flimsy the combat feels. Origins' dodge manoeuvre and the way its implemented strikes me as one of the game's main missteps.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Gave in and bought it. I had rented it on disc but bought it digital, but it made me delete the data installed from the disc and redownload it. Annoying! So I ended up replaying Kephallonia rather than wait for the full download and am actually glad I did because turns out I missed a 'situational' quest:

When doing Hungry Gods, there's a lady praying to the statue of Hermes. My first playthrough, when I came back through the crack in the wall, she was no longer there. But this time she was, and it triggered a small quest regarding why she was praying.

Pretty neat although now I'm always going to be crazy about what else I might be missing.

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Odd I can’t find the other Remasters on the PC store anywhere.

I finally got to Messara, and got myself the chest of the Amazon set. I had the legs already and wanted a different look to the Agamemnon set I’ve been rocking for 15 hours.

Holy shit Kassandra is built. You see her arms in other armour but the Amazon amour really shows her physique off. I’m surprised enemies don’t just run away when they see her running at them.

This would probably be pretty hard to get right without it being annoying as far as actual gameplay but I wish this was more of a thing, especially in this type of game. Something like a camp-wide level of morale and if it drops enough, the remaining survivors run for it and if they get a certain distance the camp flags as 'cleared' and awards the xp as if you had slain them etc etc. I know it's just a personal preference though, I can't imagine it would ever actually be implemented because by nature it's a very divisive concept.

• Options
    Gave in and bought it. I had rented it on disc but bought it digital, but it made me delete the data installed from the disc and redownload it. Annoying!
    This is the weirdest thing about the PS4 as it relates to buying games. It also directs you to the store if you try to start a disc game without the disc inserted, but then can’t convert it. It ALSO will convert a digital download into a disc based version if you put the disc in. I suspect it all comes down to the way the primary/secondary account stuff works. (For example, I can login to my dad’s PS4 as a secondary and download and play Destiny, but then my dad can’t play it because he doesn’t own it digitally. He can pop the disc in and it will convert it and then it will be playable.) Still, it’s super weird!