As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Snape kills [Chat]eldore

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    First R rate move I saw was Stand By Me, in the theater.

I was 5.

I remember seeing this movie when I was young, it still stands out to me because it was so watchable yet nothing really extraordinary happens and it was one of the first endings I ever saw that wasn't your standard "happily ever after" endings.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'm going to make a confession:

I've never had Molson Canadian, or Budweiser, or Coors and the only reason I've had Miller Genuine Draft is because it was the only beer served at my sister's wedding.

Christ, at least spring for High Life. I mean, it's wedding.

It's my brother in law's favourite beer.

I KNOW. I didn't learn this until it was too late.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Beer is pretty terrible so you aren't missing much.

@DasUberEdward get a rope

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I've never had Molson Canadian, or Budweiser, or Coors and the only reason I've had Miller Genuine Draft is because it was the only beer served at my sister's wedding.

I assume the wedding was interrupted by her excommunication from the family?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I saw Conan on VHS when I was probably five or six

At the time I remember it being an incredibly boring movie that rarely managed to take my attention off of the lego spaceship I was building

to be fair to the movie though it was a totally sweet ass spaceship that I was building

Ooh what Lego spaceship?

I had one that was a saucer with a detachable go cart thing, and my brother had this giant two headed looking rocket ship

Oh it was a custom one but I'm pretty sure it was using parts from both of those.

Three decks, four if you count engineering, manned turrets, escape pods and two detachable fighters

Only downside was it was permanently grounded because it was almost impossible to pick it up and maintain structural integrity

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I think my first R movie was Terminator 2

I remember it being a thing because I went with my older brother and my mom had to patiently explain to the ticket counter that yes she was buying the tickets for my older brother and myself and that yes she realized the movie was rated R and no he's not six years old do you want me to go get his fucking birth certificate?

Actually I think that might be the first time I had to deal with baby face syndrome

I think I got to see this in the theater subsequent to having seen Die Hards- and Beverly Hills Cop 1&2

I was seven, but totally on board for it, except...

The Nuclear Holocaust sequence did some damage, and still haunts me (I'm 32)

Then the sequence when the T1000 is torturing Sarah (I was a tiny kid at the theater with just my mommy)

THEN, when they started ramping up on Arnold self-terminating, I lost it

Old yeller moment in the theater, and I didn't get to see the end

Maybe that's why I can't fully admit that Schwarzenegger is probably a monster, and still somewhat idolize the guy

Either that, or I'm an irredeemable meathead

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I don't know what my first R-Rated movie was called. It was set in Vietnam (?) movie starring Chuck Norris as some kind of haunted POW after the Vietnam War. The movie ends with him riding his motorcycle onto the battlefield and jumping on top of a live grenade.

Missing in Action, or possibly Missing in Action II.

If he died at the end, it would have the be Missing in Action 3, right?

Chuck Norris doesn't die in any of his movies, though.

"Chuck Norris died 20 years ago, Death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet."

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The first time i had Miller High Life I thought I'd gotten a skunked batch.

The second time I thought "wow this happened twice."

The third time I realized no, that's just what it tastes like...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    @Seal have you ever seen the TV edit of Stand By Me?

The lardass scene is... both unfortunate and extra-hilarious

Just an ocean's tide of the word "LARD" on a poorly-edited loop

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don't know what my first R-Rated movie was called. It was set in Vietnam (?) movie starring Chuck Norris as some kind of haunted POW after the Vietnam War. The movie ends with him riding his motorcycle onto the battlefield and jumping on top of a live grenade.

Missing in Action, or possibly Missing in Action II.

If he died at the end, it would have the be Missing in Action 3, right?

Chuck Norris doesn't die in any of his movies, though.

"Chuck Norris died 20 years ago, Death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet."

chuck-norris-fist.jpg

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I think my first R movie was Terminator 2

I remember it being a thing because I went with my older brother and my mom had to patiently explain to the ticket counter that yes she was buying the tickets for my older brother and myself and that yes she realized the movie was rated R and no he's not six years old do you want me to go get his fucking birth certificate?

Actually I think that might be the first time I had to deal with baby face syndrome

I think I got to see this in the theater subsequent to having seen Die Hards- and Beverly Hills Cop 1&2

I was seven, but totally on board for it, except...

The Nuclear Holocaust sequence did some damage, and still haunts me (I'm 32)

Then the sequence when the T1000 is torturing Sarah (I was a tiny kid at the theater with just my mommy)

THEN, when they started ramping up on Arnold self-terminating, I lost it

Old yeller moment in the theater, and I didn't get to see the end

Maybe that's why I can't fully admit that Schwarzenegger is probably a monster, and still somewhat idolize the guy

Either that, or I'm an irredeemable meathead

I'd been watching R movies at home for a few years by the time I saw it so the only thing that really got to me was the holocaust scene

but yeah that got to me despite that the fact that I'm not entirely sure I fully understood it at the time

• Options

This is me and Corona

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I though us social justice rangers were trying to use non-norris memetic badasses

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

The problem is I'm the only one with any taste.

My parents don't drink, my brother is an alcoholic who just drinks whatever beer is cheap and my sister isn't into beer, so she just drinks what her husband drinks because it's beer he likes.

I am ashamed.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    My Dad took us to Jurassic Park and Gremlins 2 and Terminator 2 and several other movies that might scare kids but we were never bothered.

Except for one:
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The sequence where they are stuck in the passageway and the walls are closing in and the bugs are crawling all over her arm while she tries to press the button. Freaked me and my brother the fuck out. We still hate centipedes with the fire of a thousand suns.

Man getting his heart torn out of his chest though? Whatever.

shryke on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Corona was my first beer.

I drank it plain, straight out of the bottle. It was terrible.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

This is me and Corona

If you shove a lime down the neck of the bottle, it will cover up the smell and a lot of the taste.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    My Dad took us to Jurassic Park and Gremlins 2 and several other movies that might scare kids but we were never bothered.

Except for one:

The sequence where they are stuck in the passageway and the walls are closing in and the bugs are crawling all over her arm while she tries to press the button. Freaked me and my brother the fuck out. We still hate centipedes with the fire of a thousand suns.

JP never scared me cause I had read the book.

In the theater I was being a total mini-neckbeard and hurf durfing about how the movie was nothing like the book

Think MST3K but with a little kid in a pretentious high pitched voice pointing out the flaws and no one laughing

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    I watched a lot of R rated movies when I was young, but the only movie that stuck with me was Arachnophobia. That movie scared the bejeesus out of me. I wasn't afraid of spiders until watching that and I've never gotten over the phobia.

I mean, I was about 10 or 11 when I saw The Exorcist and I found it utterly ridiculous. But Arachnophobia fucked me up for life.

• Options

The problem is I'm the only one with any taste.

My parents don't drink, my brother is an alcoholic who just drinks whatever beer is cheap and my sister isn't into beer, so she just drinks what her husband drinks because it's beer he likes.

I am ashamed.

A difficult situation to be sure.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    @Seal have you ever seen the TV edit of Stand By Me?

The lardass scene is... both unfortunate and extra-hilarious

Just an ocean's tide of the word "LARD" on a poorly-edited loop
    In the version I saw there was a lot of projectile vomiting of absurd quantities of liquid and it was simultaneously repulsive and hilarious.

• Options
    My Dad took us to Jurassic Park and Gremlins 2 and Terminator 2 and several other movies that might scare kids but we were never bothered.

Except for one:

Man getting his heart torn out of his chest though? Whatever.

I am very glad I saw that at home on VHS

That remains one of the few scenes in a movie that creeps me the fuck out every single time

• Options
    I'd only really been seeing G-rated to PG-13 up until that Christmas (actually my favorite Christmas until this year, for reasons) when I saw Die Hard

Then, it was a steady diet of Eddie Murphy's ouvre, old George Carlin standup, maybe a couple others

I think the only thing that really bothered me was T2, which just kinda speaks to how effective Cameron's work really was back then

I mean, I've actually always been pretty easily-spooked, but only generally by horror elements

But that A-bomb scene... Christ almighty

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Haha! Just reading up on Arachnophobia - the animatronic 'general' spider, the big one at the end, was built by Jamie Hyneman!

Nova_C on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Beer is pretty terrible so you aren't missing much.

DISAGREE

• Options
    I watched a lot of R rated movies when I was young, but the only movie that stuck with me was Arachnophobia. That movie scared the bejeesus out of me. I wasn't afraid of spiders until watching that and I've never gotten over the phobia.

I mean, I was about 10 or 11 when I saw The Exorcist and I found it utterly ridiculous. But Arachnophobia fucked me up for life.

Bugs man. It's always bugs and shit like that that are the worst.

In a non-movie related thing, my wife when we first yet was like "You are really freaked out by wasps. Like, really freaked out.". And then one time she mentions this in front of my mom and my mom is like "Yeah, well, he got stung like more then half a dozen times in the face as a kid on various occasions, including one wasp that got him inside the mouth when it was trying to eat his hot dog". And she was all "Oh. Well that explains alot."

• Options

I saw Arachnophobia on cable on the first night in a new house in a really small town between Salem and Portland

Both my mom and I have always been terrified of spiders. Jeff Daniels' character described exactly how I already felt about them

We had popcorn, in which I found a tiny spider

Then, there was a spider in the toilet when I went to the bathroom

Then, there was a spider in the shower

I still check under the toilet seat

• Options
    I'd only really been seeing G-rated to PG-13 up until that Christmas (actually my favorite Christmas until this year, for reasons) when I saw Die Hard

Then, it was a steady diet of Eddie Murphy's ouvre, old George Carlin standup, maybe a couple others

I think the only thing that really bothered me was T2, which just kinda speaks to how effective Cameron's work really was back then

I mean, I've actually always been pretty easily-spooked, but only generally by horror elements

But that A-bomb scene... Christ almighty

It's considered one of the most accurate portrayals of a nuclear strike on an urban center ever filmed.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Haha! Just reading up on Arachnophobia - the animatronic 'general' spider, the big one at the end, was built by Jamie Hyneman!

I'm too lazy to go listen to the podcast again but Adam was on KPCS and irrc he brought his version of how to make that spider work with him to the interview for the job he did with Jamie

HappylilElf on
  • Options

I'm too lazy to go listen to the podcast again but Adam was on KPCS and irrc he brought his version of how to make that spider work with him to the interview for the job he did with Jamie

Oh, I should listen to that. Linky?

• Options
    Apparently, Cameron was kind of obsessively scared of the Impending Nuclear Apocalypse when he was a kid during the 60's, so...

I guess he'd put a lot of thought into it already

• Options

I saw Arachnophobia on cable on the first night in a new house in a really small town between Salem and Portland

Both my mom and I have always been terrified of spiders. Jeff Daniels' character described exactly how I already felt about them

We had popcorn, in which I found a tiny spider

Then, there was a spider in the toilet when I went to the bathroom

Then, there was a spider in the shower

I still check under the toilet seat

I lived in shitty basement suites for a while, in Calgary. There's no aggressive or dangerous spiders around Calgary, but because they were basements suites, there were always spiders crawling around.

When I moved up here, I moved into a 3rd floor apartment. This past summer I bought a 3rd floor condo. I have seen exactly two spiders inside my living space in the last 4.5 years.

WOOOOOO!

• Options
    Apparently, Cameron was kind of obsessively scared of the Impending Nuclear Apocalypse when he was a kid during the 60's, so...

I still think he's an amazing filmmaker, but his storytelling has taken a dive.

The first movie I would consider a contender to unseat Terminator 2 as the best action film ever made is Fury Road, and even then I think T2 edges out the win. It is very nearly a perfect action movie.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8TSzXl7t8

careful tho

KPCS is a hell of a hole to fall in because there's over 250 2ish hour conversations with all kinds of actors/directors/producers/etc

Super interesting and sometimes really insightful but catching up is a daunting task

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8TSzXl7t8

careful tho

KPCS is a hell of a hole to fall in because there's over 250 2ish hour conversations with all kinds of actors/directors/producers/etc

Super interesting and sometimes really insightful but catching up is a daunting task

That's fine! I don't follow any podcasts really, and recently redid the PA D&D podcasts. Listening to a podcast for 30 or 40 minutes after going to bed has proven to be a nice lead in to sleep.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

The first movie I would consider a contender to unseat Terminator 2 as the best action film ever made is Fury Road, and even then I think T2 edges out the win. It is very nearly a perfect action movie.

Aside from John being reaaally grating and ridiculously time specific time and mannerism, it hold up really quite well. Like, the gun fight when the swat team breach the building is just so intense. It's great.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

Aside from John being reaaally grating and ridiculously time specific time and mannerism, it hold up really quite well. Like, the gun fight when the swat team breach the building is just so intense. It's great.

I haven't watched it in a long time, actually. In fact, the last time I watched it was when the Ultimate DVD version came out.

I need to pick up the blu-ray of T2 and watch it again.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    HEY GUYS

FUCKING WATCH MY STREAM

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Conan the Barbarian was probably my dad's favorite movie

I don't know what age I first saw it, and I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've seen it

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    No, watch MY stream!

*takes off for the bathroom*

Cmon! It'll be fun!

This discussion has been closed.