Options

[Snowpocolypse 2016]: This Time, Mother Nature Is Serious

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
tumblr_njz3p8TlsL1uo6pr5o1_1280.jpg

Meet Winter Storm Jonas, which is about to do to the East Coast what it's namesakes do to a hotel room. All over the coast, estimates are being made for feet of snow, flooding, freezing rain, and all sorts of loveliness that Mother Nature Is seeing fit to throw at us. Oh, and our public officials are woefully unprepared:

So for all of you out East, please stay safe and keep warm. And punch that fucker Jack Frost in the beanbag.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So for all of you out East, please stay safe and keep warm. And punch that fucker Jack Frost in the beanbag.

Hee-ho-ow!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Our forecasts have gone from "hope your town has St. Bernards" to "driving is probably a bad idea this weekend" to "maybe some snow at some point, we'll see."

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This is supposed to be our winter, damn east coast always trying to steal the weather limelight!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    They're apparently bumping up estimates for the Boston area, but we're mostly just being super condescending to the mid-Atlantic

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    You northerners sure have a funny word for thunderstorms!

It was weird looking at this thing on radar last night, whilst being savaged by some serious lightning and under a tornado watch, and realizing it was the same system; just the thawed out part.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Looks like Maine is spared this one. It's hardly snowed at all here this winter, surprisingly. Just bitingly cold winds making any exposed flesh unhappy.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Looks like we'll get a day or two of ice further south, reestablishing the City of Hothlanta:
    hothlanta.jpg
    5349491805_4040da5d0d_b.jpg

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to getting snowed in at work, and having to work 4 shifts in a row because none of my coworkers will be able to get to work due to snow.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'm at work right now. We just heard something outside, sounded like snow/ice falling of a tree.

I'm in the middle of NC, High Point/Greensboro area, btw.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Kind of weird that this one is missing NE Ohio.

we usually get a good deal of snow especially with lake erie up there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I mean, be safe and all that, but our three feet of snow we've had in the ground for a month and half without the city clearing the roads that didn't make the news anywhere is finally melting away this week. :rotate:

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    We fly back in on Sunday.

You have two days to fix this shit, DC.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

hahahahahahaha

• Options
    Yeah we're gonna die inside BWI.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm right in the center of this.

5" already and still 2 hours before the heavy stuff is supposed to start

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get everyone to call it Snowgnarok.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Sitting in a hotel because work puts us up if they think inclement weather could keep us from getting to work. Hotels are boring as hell guys.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This is a weird thread for a Canadian, especially one from Yellowknife, because so far all these pictures are " Mild Springtime"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Looks like we'll get a day or two of ice further south, reestablishing the City of Hothlanta:
    hothlanta.jpg

ppqu6jtmaxzncmmcjr2y.jpg

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    From someone who deals with this regularly; stay inside whenever possible. Make sure your phone is charged. Have alcohol, chips, and smokes as needed.

Keep areas near exits clear of snow. Have candles and flashlights.

The rest mostly sorts itself out.

Edit; your roof can hold a lot of snow so for your own safety stay the fuck off it and unless you start to accumulate 3' or more leave it alone!

Yall on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    This is a major storm that we're not going to see, which is kind of nice really.

Those of you directly in the path, good luck. We're crossing fingers for you.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    hothlanta.jpg

ppqu6jtmaxzncmmcjr2y.jpg

I actually compared Augusta, GA after one inch of snow / a little icing to The Walking Dead at the time. Widespread power outages and business closures, abandoned vehicles, a general apocalyptic atmosphere.

And as a northerner, I was just thinking, "So, ah, this literally was just a normal winter storm day? Stop early, don't drive too fast. What the fuck is wrong with you people?"

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Have I missed a republican candidate saying "How bout the global warming? heh heh heh" with a shit eating grin and wink?
    Cause god damn if that's not my favorite part about every heavy snowstorm ever.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ice. In the north where its cold all the damn time there is little ice, because the roads do not have much of a chance to melt/refreeze. In the south the first thing that happened as the snow came down is that it came down as rain/melted. Then it got colder and froze. Then there was an inch of snow which is sitting on top of an 1/8th inch of ice and all hell breaks loose.

Same things happens in Seattle. And sure enough, we also always get some person from the eastern part of the state/nation that gets snow regularly who thinks he can drive in it and sure enough they cannot.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Ice. In the north where its cold all the damn time there is little ice, because the roads do not have much of a chance to melt/refreeze. In the south the first thing that happened as the snow came down is that it came down as rain/melted. Then it got colder and froze. Then there was an inch of snow which is sitting on top of an 1/8th inch of ice and all hell breaks loose.

Same things happens in Seattle. And sure enough, we also always get some person from the eastern part of the state/nation that gets snow regularly who thinks he can drive in it and sure enough they cannot.

*looks at ice covered parking lot out the window*

no, I'm pretty sure we get ice :P

What you're talking about is an ice storm that turns into a snow storm and that's bad news bears pretty much everywhere.

We also get to deal with it almost every fall and one or two in the spring isn't uncommon depending on how long winter refuses to release us from it's evil clutches. The fall ones play a big part of the joke that it takes everyone a week to remember how to drive in the snow because the reality is when we first get snow it's usually overnight and most of it melts the next day and then freezes overnight etc and so it's not learning how to drive on snow it's learning how to drive on snow covered ice and well yeah you have to drive differently.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Its pretty crazy out there right now (outside of Philly). Poked my head out before bed. And we have 24 more hours to go! Insane!

Restaurant officially closed Tommorrow (no surprise). So I'll be stuck at home with hopefully power so I can watch the StarCity Open.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    This is one thing I don't miss living in LA. I still have nightmares about the 9 hour drive home I had the one time it decided to legitmately snow in the afternoon when I still commuted in Virginia.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    and locked my keys in my car because the lock stuck. Nailed it!

Now to wait for my wife to do the drive that staying in this hotel was suppose to avoid.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    hothlanta.jpg

ppqu6jtmaxzncmmcjr2y.jpg

I actually compared Augusta, GA after one inch of snow / a little icing to The Walking Dead at the time. Widespread power outages and business closures, abandoned vehicles, a general apocalyptic atmosphere.

And as a northerner, I was just thinking, "So, ah, this literally was just a normal winter storm day? Stop early, don't drive too fast. What the fuck is wrong with you people?"

Don't be a goose about that. It doesn't take much to completely lock everything up. Just a little bit of snow under the wrong conditions at the wrong time can create nightmares in any city.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

My flight was cancelled on Friday coming back from London. So I, too, am hoping Dulles can get everything together by Sunday. Really don't want to be away from my family during this.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    hothlanta.jpg

ppqu6jtmaxzncmmcjr2y.jpg

Don't be a goose about that. It doesn't take much to completely lock everything up. Just a little bit of snow under the wrong conditions at the wrong time can create nightmares in any city.

Turns out when people don't have to deal with snow on a regular basis and don't have the infrastructure for it, it doesn't go well when it happens.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    0pinxyvnmexz.jpg

This was my Google Maps Wednesday night when it took me 6 hours to drive 10 miles. I'm starting to question my decision to live in NoVA.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Nova literally has the worst roads I have ever driven on. I hate every time I have to drive through that area.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

Good luck.

(It's not happening)

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Our forecasts have gone from "hope your town has St. Bernards" to "driving is probably a bad idea this weekend" to "maybe some snow at some point, we'll see."

Update Time!

4.5 inches so far. Luckily we live trudging distance from the grocery store.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I am at work, sending retail guys home and moving the homeless on, because security is a rewarding and exciting field.

At least I live in NY and probably get to go home tonight. Oh, and my last day at this job is Thursday.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    And how far do employees of said store live?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wife's mall was actually decent and closed just before the snow started. So her employees were safe and home yesterday.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So, when we moved from Buffalo to Rockville we gave away our snowblower and shovel.

Mmmmmmmm.

Rethinking that decision now.

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    Wait you gave away your snow shovel? It still snows here every year!