As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Snowpocolypse 2016]: This Time, Mother Nature Is Serious

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Kind of off topic but related, I enjoy talking to people from different areas regarding natural disasters and how they're handled. Like I had a friend from California who had no real fear of Earthquakes because he was just prepared to deal with them, but would like shit his pants in Tornado weather when he lived in Alabama, as where I'd just be chilling in a basement waiting for it to pass like nothing was problematic.

It can even get inter state level as well. My frosh year at UW in Seattle it snowed like 1-2 inches and the whole city shut down with massive snowball fights going on everywhere and snowmen making etc. I grew up on a rez in Eastern Wa where that wasnt even go outside levels.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2016
    Kind of off topic but related, I enjoy talking to people from different areas regarding natural disasters and how they're handled. Like I had a friend from California who had no real fear of Earthquakes because he was just prepared to deal with them, but would like shit his pants in Tornado weather when he lived in Alabama, as where I'd just be chilling in a basement waiting for it to pass like nothing was problematic.

Actually, as a Californian, earthquakes freak me out

Here

Because I know the buildings aren't designed for them

In California when an earthquake happens I'm like "YAY WHEEEEEE THE GROUND IS SHAKING"

In DC I'm like oh holy fuck no pls don't collapse, everything

Shivahn on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Here

In California when an earthquake happens I'm like "YAY WHEEEEEE THE GROUND IS SHAKING"

So, that earthquake that happened in the DC area a couple of years ago? (Actually, about 4 years ago now that I think of it ...)

Anyway, everyone flees our office building to shelter outside, which seems like the correct thing to do, because you don't want to be at the top of a 10-story office building not designed for earthquake survivability should another, stronger shock come.

However.

Their chosen place to congregate was in the parking lot.

Which was actually the top of a 6-level, underground parking garage.

That seemed somewhat less-than-ideal, so I left the area entirely and suggested others do the same.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Here

So, that earthquake that happened in the DC area a couple of years ago? (Actually, about 4 years ago now that I think of it ...)

Anyway, everyone flees our office building to shelter outside, which seems like the correct thing to do, because you don't want to be at the top of a 10-story office building not designed for earthquake survivability should another, stronger shock come.

However.

That seemed somewhat less-than-ideal, so I left the area entirely and suggested others do the same.

Wow, yeah, that's something. Here I would quickly dive under a desk and then try to make my way outside when stuff stopped.

In California, I was in San Diego when the 7.2 hit Mexicali, and it took about five seconds of serious shaking before I sighed and got off my computer and under the desk.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I moved from VA to CA and have still never felt an earthquake, but now everyone I know back out east has.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I was successful, by the way! Hurrah!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's so weird living in "the frozen north" and hearing this talk about a Snowpocalypse, while we've barely had more than a few flakes, nothing that has stuck around, and weather calling for above-freezing temperatures at points this week.

I fully expect to get just *shit on* in February and March, but this isn't even "oh whew, we got a light dusting by Dec 25th, white Christmas indeed!", it's "how the fuck have we not remotely had snowfall or anything remain on the ground and it's nearly February?"

Best I can tell, southern Ontario is currently skipping Winter. We're just going from a drawn out and slightly chilly Autumn to a slightly chilly Spring.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    It's so weird living in "the frozen north" and hearing this talk about a Snowpocalypse, while we've barely had more than a few flakes, nothing that has stuck around, and weather calling for above-freezing temperatures at points this week.

I fully expect to get just *shit on* in February and March, but this isn't even "oh whew, we got a light dusting by Dec 25th, white Christmas indeed!", it's "how the fuck have we not remotely had snowfall or anything remain on the ground and it's nearly February?"

Best I can tell, southern Ontario is currently skipping Winter. We're just going from a drawn out and slightly chilly Autumn to a slightly chilly Spring.

Same thing in Montréal, except we got a bit of snow around the the beginning of January. It's mostly melted already.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, we did plowing and shoveling, but we have a new problem based on the record snowfall. We don't know where to put the snow in NOVA. There's routes open to most places at this point, but some things are closed off because we have snow moving equipment, but not snow REMOVAL equipment.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »

It can even get inter state level as well. My frosh year at UW in Seattle it snowed like 1-2 inches and the whole city shut down with massive snowball fights going on everywhere and snowmen making etc. I grew up on a rez in Eastern Wa where that wasnt even go outside levels.

I've lived on or near both coasts and a few places in between, with some time in Central America. I think tsunamis are the only natural disaster I've not had to be prepared for depending on where I was living.

Snow has always seemed a rather polite disaster to me, compared to massive flooding from hurricanes or random earthquakes. A pain while it happens, but you can actually pile up the disaster and move it elsewhere. In the meantime, you stay inside or take it slow on the way to work; in a month, the problem is a bunch of dirty ice drifts somewhere by the road. And it generally doesn't damage much nowadays, as long as it doesn't pile too high somewhere and crush it.

So much friendlier than, say, a tornado reaching down out of the sky, saying "fuck these seven house in a row, but not number eight, but definitely nine through twelve". There's no thermostat setting for "save us from the chainsaw-freight-train made of hellwind and broken pieces of wood, cars, and neighbors".

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, we did plowing and shoveling, but we have a new problem based on the record snowfall. We don't know where to put the snow in NOVA. There's routes open to most places at this point, but some things are closed off because we have snow moving equipment, but not snow REMOVAL equipment.

Yeah, there's an 8ft pile of snow blocking access to the main road in my neighborhood because the dumbass contractor my HOA hired thought an F150 with a plow in front and snow throwers in the back would be sufficient for the task of moving all the snow they didn't bother plowing out at all during Saturday. Thankfully, my office is closed again tomorrow.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Here

However.

I was working for a Japanese company in MD at that time, and when my desk started shaking, I wondered if there was a truck accident happening on the highway outside. Then I got up and looked out the window, saw the traffic lights swinging, and said, 'hey! It really is an earthquake!'

Then I turned around and saw all my Japanese co-workers sheltering under their desks, looking at me like I was an idiot. :lol:

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

Same thing in Montréal, except we got a bit of snow around the the beginning of January. It's mostly melted already.

And Minnesota - we've had light snowfall here and there, but it's mostly been a dry winter.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Meanwhile I moved from VA to CA and have still never felt an earthquake, but now everyone I know back out east has.

You probably have and just didn't know it. There are a whole bunch of 3 or less earthquakes all the time. But they're not really noticeable unless they're the 'slip' kind.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    What everyone forgets about the NOVA earthquake is that it was followed up the SAME week with a hurricane.
    So we get blizzards, hurricanes, tornados AND earthquakes now.

And we are prepared for none of them.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular

Here

However.

I just stayed in my building. Considering how much glass a lot of the buildings are sided with, I didn't want to be an inviting target if it ended up strong enough for that to start breaking.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So it's a balmy 40 degrees today, and we might get some rain later. Nothing better after snow than rain to wash it away.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    It's going to be hitting the mid-50s in New England. WTF.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »

Yeah. I got all bundled up for my morning farm curcuit and I'm regretting that already.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I live in Nova Scotia. I stepped out of a restaurant last night to get some air. I was perfectly comfortable without a coat or jacket, walking around outside for about ten minutes.

I'm not pro-global warming or anything, but I could get used to this.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »

i know it's beautiful

Was a bullshit storm but at least the temperatures didn't burrow under 20 degrees and stay there like last year

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt today. It's too warm for that

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I live in Nova Scotia. I stepped out of a restaurant last night to get some air. I was perfectly comfortable without a coat or jacket, walking around outside for about ten minutes.

I'm not pro-global warming or anything, but I could get used to this.
    Hold that thought until July : P

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »

There's a reason that the Keys/South Florida really don't give any fucks when anything less than a Category 3 Hurricane comes through. All the building codes are high enough that storms just take down branches and trees, so most of the cleanup is fixing any damaged power lines and making the roads navigable again.

I was in Miami when Hurricane Katrina rolled over as a Category 1, and no one had actually prepared for it since it was forecast to go over one county north. That said, there wasn't any remarkable damage (only a few loose roof tiles on my house), the worst of it being from fallen trees or flooding in a few poorly drained areas. The only particularly remarkable thing about it was the rain: 15-16 inches in a day, but it was gone by the next day for the most part.

Edit: and then some weeks later, Wilma rolled over as a Category 3. More roof tile damage, loose gutters, and lots of fallen trees. No broken windows or structural damage. Hell, not even dents on shutters.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    FYI here in the middle of nowhere (read: rural Nebraska so no media cares), we are snow packed with 2-3 feet of fallen snow yesterday, drifts making leaving our driveway impassable. We are lucky that around here we expect a storm like this once or twice a season, otherwise there'd be many unneccesary injuries/deaths. The snow routes will be cleared by now already, again because our area plans for this inevitability so we have the equipment in place already, but our local road has to be cleared by brave neighbors on their ATVs(yet another indicator that the people around here have spent the resources to prepare for it). So, this time tomorrow there will be 10 foot piles of snow in the center of all roads throughout town and those piles will be removed and deposited in a field somewhere out of the way. Business as usual.

But for now I'll just stare at the drift outside my front door that is threatening to reach my height. I'd shovel it if the wind would die down to make my efforts worth it. But ehhhh, not quite worth it.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    It's fucking 60 degrees in the Mid Ohio Valley now. What the hell is snow?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    It's fucking 60 degrees in the Mid Ohio Valley now. What the hell is snow?

60 today, 57 tomorrow ... 34 on Thursday! What the... :rotate:

My sinuses are going to be kiiiiiilling me.

• Options
    The sudden warmth let me see that cool snow generated fog so yay

I did not grow up in a snowy area

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Around here, that generally means the roads will be icy AF on the commute home. But if it's not getting below freezing where you are, then I guess you'll be fine. It's cold here today!

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    FYI here in the middle of nowhere (read: rural Nebraska so no media cares), we are snow packed with 2-3 feet of fallen snow yesterday, drifts making leaving our driveway impassable. We are lucky that around here we expect a storm like this once or twice a season, otherwise there'd be many unneccesary injuries/deaths. The snow routes will be cleared by now already, again because our area plans for this inevitability so we have the equipment in place already, but our local road has to be cleared by brave neighbors on their ATVs(yet another indicator that the people around here have spent the resources to prepare for it). So, this time tomorrow there will be 10 foot piles of snow in the center of all roads throughout town and those piles will be removed and deposited in a field somewhere out of the way. Business as usual.

But for now I'll just stare at the drift outside my front door that is threatening to reach my height. I'd shovel it if the wind would die down to make my efforts worth it. But ehhhh, not quite worth it.

OMG Are you alright!?!?. Stay Safe. Praying For you. #SnowCuthuluRising2016

Fell like one of those important people in NOVA now?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    My outlook
    This Afternoon : Sunny, with a high near 53. North wind around 6 mph becoming calm.
    Tonight : A slight chance of showers after 4am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 31. Calm wind becoming east 5 to 8 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
    Wednesday : Showers, mainly after 9am. Patchy fog. High near 53. East wind 9 to 15 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
    Wednesday Night : Showers, mainly before midnight. Patchy fog before 3am. Low around 44. South wind 6 to 15 mph becoming west after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

That's nearly twice as warm as it usually is this time of year. Snow will be completely melted by this time tomorrow. I hope the trees don't come out of hibernation early.

jefe414 on
  • Options

OMG Are you alright!?!?. Stay Safe. Praying For you. #SnowCuthuluRising2016

Fell like one of those important people in NOVA now?

Luckily our section of town built all electrical underground, so we don't have to worry about power going out, so I'm just sitting here in my warm house listening to music with my daughter while piddling around on the internet. It's like a normal day off!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Ah, winter news coverage.
    https://youtu.be/YZVIIGfSv48
    I wish this parody was further off the mark, but it so isn't.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

Around here, that generally means the roads will be icy AF on the commute home. But if it's not getting below freezing where you are, then I guess you'll be fine. It's cold here today!

I bike or walk to work, thankfully

• Options
    Still kicking around the mid-50's. Torrential rain yesterday. Might get 1-3" of snow tomorrow. The ground will still be too warm for it to stick though.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's amazing to me that there was a blizzard, I went snowboarding like four days after and much of the snow was melted, and now the entire season may be completely over.

Yay mid atlantic Nordic sports.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm sorry but once I thought of this I couldn't not do it.

For you the snowpocalypse was the worst day of winter. For me it was Tuesday.

(This Tuesday the midwest got hammered and actually shut down briefly from a near blizzard. Not as bad as the worst of the east coast, as we got merely a foot or so in the twin cities)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    We were finally able to leave our driveway with our own vehicle yesterday. Today the sun is melting sidewalks that were shoveled pretty well, but there is still one 5 foot pile and one 3 foot pile of snow in front of every house and driveway on my street. I'm less than pleased. :rotate:

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Another big Northeast snowstorm predicted for Tuesday...

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I kinda want snow so my daughter can actually go outside and play in it (though I'm guessing she'll complain about being cold and we'll go inside). I'm here in Dayton OH and we didn't get SHIT for snow.