Options

Rogue One, starring Manuel J. Bothans, A [Star Wars] Story

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    so I was trolling the #EpisodeVIII hashtag on twitter after reading an article saying John Williams would return, and in doing so came across a headline that I sort of wish I hadn't read but now has me thinking. SPECULATION AND THOUGHTS ABOUT RUMOURS IN SPOILERS:
    The headline was, I think, responding to a separate article/rumour, and wondered if Rey would turn to the dark side in ep. 8. Reason being? Because Luke was the one who killed her parents. I haven't been tracking any rumours about the film so who knows if there's any weight to it, but... interesting twist, no? Like I said, it got my mind turning, thinking about the implications for Luke and Rey's relationship and how much that'd inform the final scene of The Force Awakens. I kind of like the idea. But again, sort of bummed that I stumbled upon it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    so I was trolling the #EpisodeVIII hashtag on twitter after reading an article saying John Williams would return, and in doing so came across a headline that I sort of wish I hadn't read but now has me thinking. SPECULATION AND THOUGHTS ABOUT RUMOURS IN SPOILERS:
    The headline was, I think, responding to a separate article/rumour, and wondered if Rey would turn to the dark side in ep. 8. Reason being? Because Luke was the one who killed her parents. I haven't been tracking any rumours about the film so who knows if there's any weight to it, but... interesting twist, no? Like I said, it got my mind turning, thinking about the implications for Luke and Rey's relationship and how much that'd inform the final scene of The Force Awakens. I kind of like the idea. But again, sort of bummed that I stumbled upon it.
    People have been predicting that Rey would go to the Dark Side and Ben would be redeemed to the Light Side pretty much immediately since TFA came out.

The Luke killing her parents thing is new, though. Not a bad speculation.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I wouldn't bother believing any rumors or speculation on the new mainline Star Wars movies. The story stuff has been unbelievably tight so far and there are hundreds of people out there trying to get internet nerd street cred by claiming inside Star Wars information.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    rogueonejacket-625x390.png

Where can I get these

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother believing any rumors or speculation on the new mainline Star Wars movies. The story stuff has been unbelievably tight so far and there are hundreds of people out there trying to get internet nerd street cred by claiming inside Star Wars information.

I literally did not even know that Han dying in Episode VII was even a rumor. Just stay away from movie "rumor" sites and you'll do fine.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

Ehh, a broken clock is right twice a day and whatnot. I'll be avoiding it otherwise. Just thought this warranted some interesting discussion.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Only source I trust is SuperShadow

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i have it on good authority that star wars episode eight features dash rendar and kyle katarn arm wrestling

that is the whole movie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i have this confirmed from a second independent source.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Do they have their shirts on? This is an extremely vital journalist question.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Do they have their shirts on? This is an extremely vital journalist question.

At the start of the movie they do. You have to build the arc of suspense somehow.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Think about it for just a second - why the FUCK would Luke Skywalker kill Rey's parents? Hell, we don't even know that they're dead, just that they abandoned her on a scavenger planet.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    i have it on good authority that star wars episode eight features dash rendar and kyle katarn arm wrestling

that is the whole movie

Now to Reddit, where I will assume this is literally true and write a 4 paragraph takedown of Star Wars filed with red-faced, sweating rage about how Disney doesn't know what they're doing and how they're ruining my childhood.

Then I'll go and do the same thing on YouTube!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Think about it for just a second - why the FUCK would Luke Skywalker kill Rey's parents? Hell, we don't even know that they're dead, just that they abandoned her on a scavenger planet.

Uh

I mean

Presumably that is explained in the movie.

Like, just asking those questions does not preclude either of those things from being part of the movie, because nothing has really been said about those subjects one way or the other.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016

that is the whole movie

Now to Reddit, where I will assume this is literally true and write a 4 paragraph takedown of Star Wars filed with red-faced, sweating rage about how Disney doesn't know what they're doing and how they're ruining my childhood.

Then I'll go and do the same thing on YouTube!

"TankHammer was never the same after the 'Buster Wars.

He became the very thing he spent his life fighting against."

sarukun on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I will be genuinely shocked if the new star wars trilogy doesn't involve the redemption of Kylo Ren at some point. It's kind of the "Snape is a good guy" of that series, you know it's going to fucking happen.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    I will be genuinely shocked if the new star wars trilogy doesn't involve the redemption of Kylo Ren at some point. It's kind of the "Snape is a good guy" of that series, you know it's going to fucking happen.
    I will be shocked if his redemption doesn't involve a ghost of Han Solo at some point.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    why would Han have a force ghost he's not even a jedi god that makes no sense whats wrong with you

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    why would Han have a force ghost he's not even a jedi god that makes no sense whats wrong with you
    ghost or dream or something. Harrison Ford will have a cameo.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    ghost or dream or something. Harrison Ford will have a cameo.
    Harrison Ford would rather do a sequel to his on-set accident than another Star Wars, you will never see his Han Solo again

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    His return to Han Solo was his most energetic performance in years, which is super weird

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    His return to Han Solo was his most energetic performance in years, which is super weird

I think it has everything to do with JJ Abrams

He really can't stand George Lucas (I don't think any of the original cast can, really) and has always been fond of Abrams

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't know
    I kinda figured killing Han was the indication that he's not gonna get redeemed

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

He really can't stand George Lucas (I don't think any of the original cast can, really) and has always been fond of Abrams

yeah but does he feel that way about every director he ever worked with for the last twenty years
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Yeah I don't know
    I kinda figured killing Han was the indication that he's not gonna get redeemed

anakin killed like thirty kids

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I think it's less the specific actions and more how it was shown. Like in Force Awakens we see
    Kylo wavering and the film wants you to think that Han is getting through to him, and then NOPE. So they've already done a fake-out with redeeming him.

Having said that, I personally do expect them to actually redeem him at some point. I think one way that they could nicely differentiate his arc from Vader a bit is if they redeem him sooner. Like have it happen at the end of Ep 8, and then have him fighting alongside Rey and co. throughout Ep 9, trying to atone.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    First thought: her parents were two of the Knights of Ren. They dumped her on Jakku before going off to the big showdown between the Knights and Luke's new Jedi. They didn't make it out alive, Kylo did.
    Kylo knew them, and knew about Rey and suspects that she might become a powerful force user if trained and has been using his connections to quietly search for her.

Just a guess though. It's possible that Rey's parents were imperials or lead one of the mini empires that sprung up after The Emperor died, or maybe Luke killed them indirectly (sorry I blew up that star destroyer, really didn't think the debris would have hit your ship like that). I mean, there's got to be a couple dozen reasons that Luke could have killed Rey's parents.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    First thought: her parents were two of the Knights of Ren. They dumped her on Jakku before going off to the big showdown between the Knights and Luke's new Jedi. They didn't make it out alive, Kylo did.
    Kylo knew them, and knew about Rey and suspects that she might become a powerful force user if trained and has been using his connections to quietly search for her.

Just a guess though. It's possible that Rey's parents were imperials or lead one of the mini empires that sprung up after The Emperor died, or maybe Luke killed them indirectly (sorry I blew up that star destroyer, really didn't think the debris would have hit your ship like that). I mean, there's got to be a couple dozen reasons that Luke could have killed Rey's parents.

I was just about to write something similar but couldn't articulate it and deleted my draft. So thanks for picking up my slack.

• Options
    That's the best Rey parents theory I've read

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular

I'm fairly certain Harrison Ford and George Lucas are actually good friends irl.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »

I'm fairly certain Harrison Ford and George Lucas are actually good friends irl.

To be fair, I've got some friends that I love hanging out with, but the thought of working with them is utterly unpleasant.
    Especially if it was a Director/Actor kind of thing going on. Lucas could be a great guy, but be an absolute pain in the ass to work with/for.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Didn't he also recently get big into the wacky tobaccy? Am sure that's a big mood lifter too

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I will be shocked if they pull it off though.
    I never realized how deeply people felt about Han Solo until my best friend who is a mountain of a man and basically never emotes at all was brought to shocked tears by Han's death.

After that getting people to want Kylo's redemption will be a fucking feat/

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ren is obviously going to find revan's holocron

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'd rather they don't try to redeem him. Let him die as an unrepentant asshole. Hell, I don't even think Vader really earned any redemption. One act cannot make up for 20 years of assholery.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    max von sydow is kylo ren from the future, who traveled back in time to begin to make things right

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular

Didn't he also recently get big into the wacky tobaccy? Am sure that's a big mood lifter too

oh, you mean the Devil's Lettuce?

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    max von sydow is kylo ren from the future, who traveled back in time to begin to make things right

Chewbacca to the Future

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I'd rather they don't try to redeem him. Let him die as an unrepentant asshole. Hell, I don't even think Vader really earned any redemption. One act cannot make up for 20 years of assholery.

The only interest in the character I have is how he tries to justify what he's done to himself. Redemption will make the whole character worthless.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

The only interest in the character I have is how he tries to justify what he's done to himself. Redemption will make the whole character worthless.

Yeah, the thing with Kylo is that he's presented as a character who has had a ton of chances to do the right thing. And at every turn he's been all, "nah fuck y'all, I'ma be a massive shithead." Like, there's none of the fell to the dark side out of good intentions stuff like we've seen plenty of times. He's been consciously choosing evil. So fuck that guy, I hope Rey murders his ass.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I quite like the Kylo theory that. (to be honest you guys may have already talked about it, as I haven't been clicking on spoilers)
    He's a spy for the good guys and always has been, and that's why he struggles between the light and the dark, because he never wanted to be a jerk to begin with.

That's why Han died on the bridge, to sell the con all the way.

This discussion has been closed.