Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Hachface wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    There is a very real risk that Sanders supporters will feel the bitter sting of disappointment and feel that they are somehow betrayed if Sanders's goals are not accomplished. But again, this is a risk. That Clinton's warmed-over centrism will fail to inspire during the midterms is a damn-near certainty.

Nah. Sanders voters would look at him failing to achieve single-payer and be overwhelmingly let down and stay home. That is not a risk. We know, because it's what happened in 2010, with far more accomplishments to show and less rhetoric to live up to. Actual achievements, small and incremental though they would be, would provide hard facts to get voters to the polls.

Reduced Democratic participation in the midterm elections is a fairly intractable problem. Can you make the affirmative case that Hillary Clinton will be able to deliver superior turnout than Sanders? I don't think that such a case can be made. The ACA was a great achievement, but turnout still sucked. A resume is not the same thing as an organization, and frankly I have been much more impressed with Sanders' basic political organizing skills.

I have not been impressed at all with the people Sanders' is surrounding himself with. They are frequently the worst part of his messaging.

Actually his message discipline is fantastic, and in any case messaging is not organizing.

Organizing is very important for candidates once they're elected. It says a lot about them, and if they're good at decision making. In this election it's Bernie's who has (multiple) Mark Penns, not Hillary.

This is a very specific statement in the context of modern democratic primaries. What exactly are you basing this on?

Bernie's staff exploiting the DNC, for one. There are other times, like how AngelHedgie mentioned Weaver. It's been a re-occuring element through Bernie's campaign.

edit: I admit I was going overboard comparing them to Penn, they're not all that bad. But there have been serious missteps with the media in how they reflect his campaign. It isn't doing Bernie any favors as a leader.

You know what else was a misstep?

Clinton failing to invest staff and resources in the post-Iowa races. From the New York Times in January:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/us/politics/hillary-clinton-readies-for-a-long-slog-against-bernie-sanders.html?_r=0
    Even though the Clinton team has sought to convey that it has built a national operation, the campaign has invested much of its resources in the Feb. 1 caucuses in Iowa, hoping that a victory there could marginalize Mr. Sanders and set Mrs. Clinton on the path to the nomination. As much as 90 percent of the campaign’s resources are now split between Iowa and the Brooklyn headquarters, according to an estimate provided by a person with direct knowledge of the spending. The campaign denied that figure.

The campaign boasted last June, when Mrs. Clinton held her kickoff event on Roosevelt Island in New York, that it had at least one paid staff member in all 50 states. But the effort did not last, and the staff members were soon let go or reassigned. (Mrs. Clinton’s campaign manager, Robby Mook, said they had been hired as temporary workers to sign up volunteers at the start of the campaign, an effort he said had paid off organizationally.)

The focus on Iowa, which still haunts Mrs. Clinton after the stinging upset by Barack Obama there in 2008, has been so intense that even organizers in New Hampshire, which holds its primary on Feb. 9, have complained to the campaign’s leadership that they feel neglected.

For all its institutional advantages, the Clinton campaign lags behind the Sanders operation in deploying paid staff members: For example, Mr. Sanders has campaign workers installed in all 11 of the states that vote on Super Tuesday. Mrs. Clinton does not, and is relying on union volunteers and members of supportive organizations such as Planned Parenthood to help her.

Sure, a Sanders staffer did something he wasn't supposed to do with the DNC voter database, and was fired for it. But the Clinton campaign, just as in 2008, has made fundamental strategic errors that are going to haunt her for the duration of the race.

Of course her campaign isn't perfect, but this does not mean Bernie's hasn't got flaws in his. And this isn't just about that one staffer - he's just the most obvious example. Saying he "did something he wasn't supposed to do with the DNC voter database" is an understatement with how bad that staffer messed up. That was a black eye to Bernie and his campaign that is with it to this day.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    There is also their tendency to reflect anyone disagreeing with Bernie's plans as being a Clinton Ally or part of the establishment. It's a shitty argument to go right for the ad hom instead of hitting their critique on the merits.

We all have a place at that table

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh good, it's Bernie's turn to have supporters walk shit back.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    There is a very real risk that Sanders supporters will feel the bitter sting of disappointment and feel that they are somehow betrayed if Sanders's goals are not accomplished. But again, this is a risk. That Clinton's warmed-over centrism will fail to inspire during the midterms is a damn-near certainty.

Nah. Sanders voters would look at him failing to achieve single-payer and be overwhelmingly let down and stay home. That is not a risk. We know, because it's what happened in 2010, with far more accomplishments to show and less rhetoric to live up to. Actual achievements, small and incremental though they would be, would provide hard facts to get voters to the polls.

Reduced Democratic participation in the midterm elections is a fairly intractable problem. Can you make the affirmative case that Hillary Clinton will be able to deliver superior turnout than Sanders? I don't think that such a case can be made. The ACA was a great achievement, but turnout still sucked. A resume is not the same thing as an organization, and frankly I have been much more impressed with Sanders' basic political organizing skills.

I have not been impressed at all with the people Sanders' is surrounding himself with. They are frequently the worst part of his messaging.

Actually his message discipline is fantastic, and in any case messaging is not organizing.

Organizing is very important for candidates once they're elected. It says a lot about them, and if they're good at decision making. In this election it's Bernie's who has (multiple) Mark Penns, not Hillary.

This is a very specific statement in the context of modern democratic primaries. What exactly are you basing this on?

Bernie's staff exploiting the DNC, for one. There are other times, like how AngelHedgie mentioned Weaver. It's been a re-occuring element through Bernie's campaign.

edit: I admit I was going overboard comparing them to Penn, they're not all that bad. But there have been serious missteps with the media in how they reflect his campaign. It isn't doing Bernie any favors as a leader.

So you don't know anything about Mark Penn.

Got it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Got it.

I implied it was a horrid decision for her back in '08, that's why I compared them to him. Since then she's raised her game, and it's been years. That's why when talking about Bernie I was doing it in context for this primary, where he's the one doing the missteps on the hiring front.

edit: In '08 Hillary's staff weren't repeatedly doing silly stuff that made the campaign bad with the media like Bernie's either. it's calmed down recently but for a while there it was like he couldn't go a week without his campaign staff imploding.

edit: I do include Bill in this. He was an embarrassment in '08, and has put his foot in his mouth in this primary. But it's not like Hillary can bench him.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I'll be shocked if he does honestly. He's expressing sentiment in a bit harsher tone I've seen other Bernie supporters make.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I'll be shocked if he does honestly. He's expressing sentiment in a bit harsher tone I've seen other Bernie supporters make.

There is quite a bit of difference between some guy shooting the shit on reddit or Penny Arcade and an official speaker at a rally.

An apology should be forthcoming. I hope.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular

He's saying on Twitter that he was talking about something a female voter said to him in a larger quote about why she was voting for Bernie. Probably still not a great thing to repeat.

• Options
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

He's saying on Twitter that he was talking about something a female voter said to him in a larger quote about why she was voting for Bernie. Probably still not a great thing to repeat.

And when Donald Trump called Ted Cruz a pussy, he was just quoting an audience member.

I don't want to make a mountain of a molehill, but KM should apologize.

• Options

Using some people say is a shit defense.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

That's not really much better than the quote of context. Especially not given he got cheers for the uterus line.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    As we speak, he is Tweeting about all the female politicians he likes.

This is going to be a long election.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Classic mistake, the truth does not set you free, it merely earns you a prison transfer

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

There's a fairly specific and obvious term for that style of argument.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I bet the intent was that it doesn't entitle you to the presidency but they messed up their wording in the worst way possible.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's good he has friends with uteruses.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    I bet the intent was that it doesn't entitle you to the presidency but they messed up their wording in the worst way possible.

Bringing up Hillary Clinton's gender in any kind of negative way is a mistake.

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    It sounds like he misspoke but if he didn't, I have some new opinions about "Love Again" on RTJ 2.

• Options
    Also, I'd like to step back and point out how bizarre it is that Killer Mike is one of Sanders major campaign surrogates.

I know he's an activist and all, but it's still weird.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

It is looking fairly atrocious.

I'm curious as to what the legs are on a gaffe like this.

• Options

Depends on if a mainstream outlet runs with it (likely) and if KM doubles down (signs unclear).

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Maybe don't throw an "lol" in at the end of the tweet Killer Mike. Listening to it doesn't really make it that much better, hopefully he gives an actual apology soon.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Got it.

I implied it was a horrid decision for her back in '08, that's why I compared them to him. Since then she's raised her game, and it's been years. That's why when talking about Bernie I was doing it in context for this primary, where he's the one doing the missteps on the hiring front.

edit: In '08 Hillary's staff weren't repeatedly doing silly stuff that made the campaign bad with the media like Bernie's either. it's calmed down recently but for a while there it was like he couldn't go a week without his campaign staff imploding.

edit: I do include Bill in this. He was an embarrassment in '08, and has put his foot in his mouth in this primary. But it's not like Hillary can bench him.

Mark Penn was an unmitigated disaster of a campaign manager. He massively over spent on stupid things like parking and refreshment, convinced the candidate that the race would be over by New Hampshire and failed to comprehend the idea that Obama could win delegates from states he didn't win outright. Mark Penn is a huge part of the reason the Hillary Clinton isn't president right now, and the fact that hew remained asset the helm of her campaign for so long last time is a massive black Mark on the idea that she could properly staff a 7/11, much less a white house.

Given that the Sanders campaign is up against one of the most powerful and connected politicos in modern American history, I think the fact that they're even giving her a run pretty much discounts any possibility that his campaign contains a single Mark Penn, much less multiple.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    "Michael, a uterus doesn't qualify you to be the president of the united states. You have to have policy that's reflective of social justice."

The first half offends progessives, the second half offends conservatives.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to step back and point out how bizarre it is that Killer Mike is one of Sanders major campaign surrogates.

TI for Secretary of the Navy

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

TI for Secretary of the Navy

I think you meant T-Pain. He's been on a boat after all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

• Options

Depends on if a mainstream outlet runs with it (likely) and if KM doubles down (signs unclear).

Depends if the media wants to help Sanders or not. They can always claim KM is just a famous person who likes Sanders not an actual surrogate. Sanders campaign can do the same song and dance.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Depends if the media wants to help Sanders or not. They can always claim KM is just a famous person who likes Sanders not an actual surrogate. Sanders campaign can do the same song and dance.

The media wants blood and they barely care whose.

KM could defuse the situation almost immediately with a public apology, but first for the love of god someone needs to take his smartphone away. His Twitter feed is getting worse.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Mark Penn was an unmitigated disaster of a campaign manager. He massively over spent on stupid things like parking and refreshment, convinced the candidate that the race would be over by New Hampshire and failed to comprehend the idea that Obama could win delegates from states he didn't win outright. Mark Penn is a huge part of the reason the Hillary Clinton isn't president right now, and the fact that hew remained asset the helm of her campaign for so long last time is a massive black Mark on the idea that she could properly staff a 7/11, much less a white house.

Given that the Sanders campaign is up against one of the most powerful and connected politicos in modern American history, I think the fact that they're even giving her a run pretty much discounts any possibility that his campaign contains a single Mark Penn, much less multiple.

Despite that Hillary was this close to seizing the nomination from Obama, it was also a more heated primary than this one. Penn did not kill her campaign off at the gate - which is what stage this primary is at right now. It's impressive how Bernie's campaign has done so far, kudos to them for it but his campaign has been fraught with serious issues from his staff multiple times. That is a big flaw for him to overcome and is red meat to the GOP who will exploit anything and everything to close off his access to the presidency in the general. Not to mention how this reflects on Bernie himself.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

KM could defuse the situation almost immediately with a public apology, but first for the love of god someone needs to take his smartphone away. His Twitter feed is getting worse.

They want a race, tanking Sanders with a surrogate quote takes away the dem race and they don't want that. I mean again look at how Hayes spun a Bill Clinton quote and notologzied about it. And that's the "liberal" MSNBC.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

They want a race, tanking Sanders with a surrogate quote takes away the dem race and they don't want that. I mean again look at how Hayes spun a Bill Clinton quote and notologzied about it. And that's the "liberal" MSNBC.

Again, mountains and molehills: apology or no, this isn't going to be the moment that sinks the Sanders race. Hillary has survived "there's a special place in hell for women who don't support other women" and "where are the boys? The boys are with Bernie." But it's more grist for the outrage mill.

• Options

Again, mountains and molehills: apology or no, this isn't going to be the moment that sinks the Sanders race. Hillary has survived "there's a special place in hell for women who don't support other women" and "where are the boys? The boys are with Bernie." But it's more grist for the outrage mill.

No, but it could be a bigger one if the media let it be and they won't if they want a horse race.
    They want a horse race.

• Options

No, but it could be a bigger one if the media let it be and they won't if they want a horse race.
    They want a horse race.

What I'm saying is that running with the quote is the horse race option.

• Options

Depends on how mike runs with it. His current tack isn't exactly doing him any better.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

They want a horse race.

What I'm saying is that running with the quote is the horse race option.

I disagree.

• Options

Despite that Hillary was this close to seizing the nomination from Obama, it was also a more heated primary than this one. Penn did not kill her campaign off at the gate - which is what stage this primary is at right now. It's impressive how Bernie's campaign has done so far, kudos to them for it but his campaign has been fraught with serious issues from his staff multiple times. That is a big flaw for him to overcome and is red meat to the GOP who will exploit anything and everything to close off his access to the presidency in the general. Not to mention how this reflects on Bernie himself.

No, Penn pretty much did kill her campaign out the gate. The campaign committed itself to a losing strategy because Penn fundamentally misunderstood the Democratic nomination process. Any missteps that Bernie camp has made are peanuts compared to that.

This discussion has been closed.