As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I get THE WITNESS (oh can I get a Witness)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Confused about something in the mountain
    In the first big puzzle room, the panels on the left where the puzzle is over scanned

It's not letting me start the puzzle

The bulb is pulsing but nothing happens when I push X

What am I missing

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Ohhhhh never mind I got it

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I was about to reply but figured this was one of them where I'd better reload the page first.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    forty wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Okay so I am just about to start on the mountain but there is one small thing that I want to clarify.
    Is there a laser for the orchard area with the apples on the trees. At first I thought the sound area didn't have a laser but then I found it awhile after I complete all of it's puzzles. That would leave the orchard as the only place I have seen without a laser and if there actually is one I would like to get it just to say I did

no that area is just a tutorial
    It's an odd tutorial, too, because as far as I can tell,
    there's only one panel it helps with.
    It helps set you up for using the environment to solve puzzles, as up to that point the puzzles have been entirely on the panels.
    I guess it's another way of reinforcing the "mind your surroundings" nature of the game, but other areas do that too:
    The mirror line/reflection puzzles by the water, the shadow forest, the flower bunker, the hedge mazes, etc. It feels kind of like they came up with a "this is pretty neat" puzzle type, but couldn't quite figure out a way to extend it enough to show up more, or, apparently, to be considered worthy of a laser. But they left it in because it's cool and worth having around thematically (which I'm on board with), even if there's only one other green panel in the entire game.

I'm not saying it's bad, but more that it's strange that it felt like it was building up to more than it actually did. I actually wasted like 10 minutes looking all around and clicking on things in the final unlocked section of the grove, because I figured there had to be more to it. It makes me wonder if there were some notable things that got cut related to that area/mechanic.
    Yes but the orchard is the most eye-catching area outside of the starter area with its big pink trees. It is most likely the first place you'll go after you do those blue and green puzzles just outside the starting fort. It's basically the tutorial for all those other places.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Oh god damn this color puzzle

• Options
    Mountain
    This

Feels like it should come with a seizure warning

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Okay so I am just about to start on the mountain but there is one small thing that I want to clarify.
    Is there a laser for the orchard area with the apples on the trees. At first I thought the sound area didn't have a laser but then I found it awhile after I complete all of it's puzzles. That would leave the orchard as the only place I have seen without a laser and if there actually is one I would like to get it just to say I did

no that area is just a tutorial
    It's an odd tutorial, too, because as far as I can tell,
    there's only one panel it helps with.
    It helps set you up for using the environment to solve puzzles, as up to that point the puzzles have been entirely on the panels.
    I guess it's another way of reinforcing the "mind your surroundings" nature of the game, but other areas do that too:
    The mirror line/reflection puzzles by the water, the shadow forest, the flower bunker, the hedge mazes, etc. It feels kind of like they came up with a "this is pretty neat" puzzle type, but couldn't quite figure out a way to extend it enough to show up more, or, apparently, to be considered worthy of a laser. But they left it in because it's cool and worth having around thematically (which I'm on board with), even if there's only one other green panel in the entire game.

I'm not saying it's bad, but more that it's strange that it felt like it was building up to more than it actually did. I actually wasted like 10 minutes looking all around and clicking on things in the final unlocked section of the grove, because I figured there had to be more to it. It makes me wonder if there were some notable things that got cut related to that area/mechanic.
    Yes but the orchard is the most eye-catching area outside of the starter area with its big pink trees. It is most likely the first place you'll go after you do those blue and green puzzles just outside the starting fort. It's basically the tutorial for all those other places.
    I went to quite a few other places first before going there. And I don't know that it would have done that good of a job preparing me for anything else anyway.

I think a lot of players would still compartmentalize what they learned there and think of it as a type of puzzle rather than an overall game approach. That's pretty much what I did by that point.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I abused the hell out of screenshots for those. Fuck trying to figure those out with all that Hypnotoad shit going on.

forty on
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I abused the hell out of screenshots for those. Fuck trying to figure those out with all that Hypnotoad shit going on.
    oddly, I only did this with the first puzzle. When part of the puzzle didn't change color, I got used to seeing what all the dots were when they pulsed through the same color as the static part of the board

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Finished the final area
    Looooooove the game but as it stands it definitely doesn't feel like it's come together as like, a cohesive artistic statement? The "ending" is too... vague, I guess? But, I'm still missing two videos, and a shitload of +1 puzzles, so who knows?

Also I have heard tell that something different happens if you beat it on new game plus? Is that true? I definitely feel like I could slam out six of the areas again and bang out the mountain one more time if there's something new to see

Also I guess I need to figure out how to open up the challenge stuff

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Finished the final area
    Looooooove the game but as it stands it definitely doesn't feel like it's come together as like, a cohesive artistic statement? The "ending" is too... vague, I guess? But, I'm still missing two videos, and a shitload of +1 puzzles, so who knows?

Also I have heard tell that something different happens if you beat it on new game plus? Is that true? I definitely feel like I could slam out six of the areas again and bang out the mountain one more time if there's something new to see

Also I guess I need to figure out how to open up the challenge stuff
    I would hold off on playing through the game again. I think the NG+ new ending thing was just speculation. I haven't seen any confirmation of it yet. Your best bet for seeing something new right now is to solve/+1 as much as you can in your current save.

I knew the ending would be vague as shit since a.) it's a Jonathan Blow game and b.) I'm pretty sure Jonathan said not to expect any sort of overt story.

• Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    oddly, I only did this with the first puzzle. When part of the puzzle didn't change color, I got used to seeing what all the dots were when they pulsed through the same color as the static part of the board
    You probably cheated by using your special artist eyes.

• Options
    Look, everyone speculating about the true meaning of The Witness is completely wrong. I figured out Jonathan Blow's true purpose for making the game, and that is
    to make me develop an intense distaste for classical music,

and in that, he succeeded with flying colors.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    I may have spent an hour or three reading about color theory last night.
    the shipwreck is the first puzzle that we're having longterm trouble with; the 7th camouflage puzzle was the other that took two or more play sessions. MAKES SENSE. the village is still to be completed, so we'll probably go there for a palate cleanser, or try for more +1s. I wish someone would just have isolated captures of puzzles so it could be seen out of game without risk of spoilers. I'm sure that's coming, but I need to hear those drips now!

Plant lab
    so, in trying to figure what colors would result from red light, I went through all the floors for kicks, courtesy youtube. Between the 5th and 6th floors (green and daylight/yellow), I got a new pattern. Probably nothing, but I'm itching to try it out, and the beau and I are only playing together.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    You probably cheated by using your special artist eyes.

These puzzles were pretty easy IMO.
    I thought the grating ones were worse.

Also, was pretty annoyed to watch my 441 +101 score reversed in the fly-over.

Not sure now though whether I found the gate the first time through and it didn't work.

• Options
    pooka wrote: »
    the shipwreck is the first puzzle that we're having longterm trouble with; the 7th camouflage puzzle was the other that took two or more play sessions. MAKES SENSE. the village is still to be completed, so we'll probably go there for a palate cleanser, or try for more +1s. I wish someone would just have isolated captures of puzzles so it could be seen out of game without risk of spoilers. I'm sure that's coming, but I need to hear those drips now!
    Even after watching a spoiler video of someone supposedly explaining that puzzle, I don't get how you're actually supposed to deduce the correct answer.
    He basically said a bunch of things I know (drip drip, noise noise, yeah yeah), and then just sort of made some weird logical leap about the overall ordering and skipped to showing the solution without talking about how he would route through the dots. It's like, "hey buddy, how did you get there?"

• Options
    The shipwreck
    was one of the few puzzles that I just blatantly cheated on.

Most of the time if I looked for a solution it was just because I didn't have my pen and paper handy but knew what I needs to do and just didn't feel like taking the time to work it out in my head. Typically Tetris blocks. But that one I just noped out and looked it up after about 15 minutes.

In retrospect I know what I was doing wrong and how to solve it thanks to
    the symmetry dots puzzle on the challenge
    so I only slightly regret my decision.

• Options
    Wait what?

• Options
    Wait what?
    I think the thing I was doing wrong was I wasn't using the correct color line to match with the dots for one of the sounds. That one had a second invisible line starting from the upper right corner right? Or am I misremembering?

• Options
    Even after watching a spoiler video of someone supposedly explaining that puzzle, I don't get how you're actually supposed to deduce the correct answer.
    He basically said a bunch of things I know (drip drip, noise noise, yeah yeah), and then just sort of made some weird logical leap about the overall ordering and skipped to showing the solution without talking about how he would route through the dots. It's like, "hey buddy, how did you get there?"

The shipwreck puzzle solution:
    So the big thing for me was listening to the spooky sounds and working out that they weren't 3 independent sounds but instead forming a very slow 4 note sequence.
    Then it was a matter of doing two lines (one visible and the other invisible), one with the drip's low, high, middle tones and one with the spooky sounds.

It was only at that point that I found out that the colors on the pips didn't mean anything, which was pretty unfair I think.

• Options
    That makes a lot more sense now

• Options
    edited February 2016
    discrider wrote: »

So the big thing for me was listening to the spooky sounds and working out that they weren't 3 independent sounds but instead forming a very slow 4 note sequence.
    Then it was a matter of doing two lines (one visible and the other invisible), one with the drip's low, high, middle tones and one with the spooky sounds.

It was only at that point that I found out that the colors on the pips didn't mean anything, which was pretty unfair I think.
    How were you supposed to know where each sequence started and ended? Similarly, how were you supposed to know which line to try to apply to each sequence of sounds? I guess it's cool that they were going for something really grand, but I think the ridiculous tuning on it made it a poorer experience than it should have been.

That's also pretty lame design if the 3 colors were just a pointless distraction.

forty on
  • Options
    Not clicking any of those spoilers.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options

How were you supposed to know where each sequence started and ended? Similarly, how were you supposed to know which line to try to apply to each sequence of sounds? I guess it's cool that they were going for something really grand, but I think the ridiculous tuning on it made it a poorer experience than it should have been.

That's also pretty lame design if the 3 colors were just a pointless distraction.
    Solution still:
    You determine the start and finish of the sequences the same way as the normal camoflague puzzles. That is there is a long gap between the finish of a sequence and the start of the same sequence. And for the spooky sounds this is a long loooooong gap.

With the colours.. I don't know if there is some 'special' use for these in this puzzle. All I know is the first solution that correctly matched both sequences worked. So it seemed like the colours did nothing. And as this was the only puzzle that used colours in this way... I can't tell what the logic there was, if there was any.

• Options
    The End
    Why does the guy walk around touching all the circles but not line up the circles with a similar line? Or touch the sculpture outside with the obvious line on it?
    It's a little infuriating.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The End
    Why does the guy walk around touching all the circles but not line up the circles with a similar line? Or touch the sculpture outside with the obvious line on it?
    I got the impression from him falling over, along with some of the audio logs you find, that being in the world for too long kind of fucks up your brain. I figured he was just dazed and confused, only half remembering what he'd just done.

• Options
    The End
    I kept moving my mouse seeing if it was going to give me a cursor for the chance to get some super meta +1s.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I haven't plugged at the challenge since last week, but I guess I'm going to dive back in tonight :|

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I haven't plugged at the challenge since last week, but I guess I'm going to dive back in tonight :|

You got this!

• Options
    I might try it again this weekend, but, ugh. It's just so frustrating and stressful.

And now I hate Norwegians.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Solution still:
    You determine the start and finish of the sequences the same way as the normal camoflague puzzles. That is there is a long gap between the finish of a sequence and the start of the same sequence. And for the spooky sounds this is a long loooooong gap.

With the colours.. I don't know if there is some 'special' use for these in this puzzle. All I know is the first solution that correctly matched both sequences worked. So it seemed like the colours did nothing. And as this was the only puzzle that used colours in this way... I can't tell what the logic there was, if there was any.
    the colors do matter, at least in a minor way. The original symmetry puzzles have pips in cyan, yellow, and black. The cyan and yellow pips have to be picked up by a line the same color, but black can be picked up by either line; this is useful for the shipwreck puzzle in following the sound patterns. It lets you know that the black pips aren't a pair themselves, and can be split to the other colors.

Which we were unsure of at that point, so fundamentals -- good to revisit!

I think the ambient red light is a red herring. 'Cause anything I come up with using color theory doesn't make sense.

Also, I busted out a piano app and a timer to science the shit out of that puzzle.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    I really wish I could experience this game blind again.

Someone hit me in the head with a brick or something please.

• Options
    Thanks Rhylith! Yeah, it's just getting a good puzzle combo at this point. And not a stupid complex maze path.
    I might try it again this weekend, but, ugh. It's just so frustrating and stressful.

I broke down and
    started taking pictures of the table then of the triangle puzzles. If I could do the same reliably with the pillars I would be set. They're not hard, but they're just complicated enough that I'll get one and not the other before time is up.

Puzzles! :hydra:

• Options
    Thanks Rhylith! Yeah, it's just getting a good puzzle combo at this point. And not a stupid complex maze path.

I broke down and
    started taking pictures of the table then of the triangle puzzles. If I could do the same reliably with the pillars I would be set. They're not hard, but they're just complicated enough that I'll get one and not the other before time is up.

What's the purpose of the pictures? I was thinking about taking a shot of the table, but I feel like I'd lose too much time alt tabbing and opening up the picture when I get to that point in the challenge.

What about the triangle puzzles? Is that just so you could practice on them if you knew you weren't going to be able to finish?

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Bought this today. It's pretty fun!

Completed a little area not too far from the starting castle, with a little building on the water.

Some pretty neat puzzles, particularly when
    In the blue/yellow puzzles the yellow fades out. I was looking everywhere because I immediately jumped to 'I need more yellow power!'.

Fortunately after 5 minutes of looking i went back to tinkering with the puzzle and figured out the line was still active, just not visible.

• Options

I broke down and

What's the purpose of the pictures? I was thinking about taking a shot of the table, but I feel like I'd lose too much time alt tabbing and opening up the picture when I get to that point in the challenge.

What about the triangle puzzles? Is that just so you could practice on them if you knew you weren't going to be able to finish?
    On PS4 you can enter rest mode and solve puzzles at your leisure, so I use it to jot down the maze path and to do the triangles in the maze just so I have enough time if I get through to the two pillars.

I can keep the simple maze paths in my mind and use a simple code (letter for column, number for row) to keep track of the triangle locations, but when the damn thing has me doing several twists and turns it's brutal. In actuality I should just restart if I get a bad maze on the table at puzzle 4.

• Options
    101 wrote: »
    Bought this today. It's pretty fun!

Completed a little area not too far from the starting castle, with a little building on the water.

Some pretty neat puzzles, particularly when
    In the blue/yellow puzzles the yellow fades out. I was looking everywhere because I immediately jumped to 'I need more yellow power!'.

Fortunately after 5 minutes of looking i went back to tinkering with the puzzle and figured out the line was still active, just not visible.
    Day9 had the exact same reaction on his stream, and I think I thought something similar for a bit. I'm thinking it's probably a pretty common initial interpretation of what's going on there.

• Options
    edited February 2016

I broke down and

On PS4 you can enter rest mode and solve puzzles at your leisure, so I use it to jot down the maze path and to do the triangles in the maze just so I have enough time if I get through to the two pillars.

I can keep the simple maze paths in my mind and use a simple code (letter for column, number for row) to keep track of the triangle locations, but when the damn thing has me doing several twists and turns it's brutal. In actuality I should just restart if I get a bad maze on the table at puzzle 4.
    Oh, you're playing on PS4. Yeah, you can trivialize the whole thing if you just want to complete it (I know I would be very tempted to). Unfortunately I'm on PC so there's nothing I can cheese (and I imagine it's easier to do fast, precise line drawing with a controller vs. a mouse).

Inadvertent hard mode enabled. :(

forty on
  • Options
    I would be a lot happier with out quite so much randomness.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the challenge, does anyone know what the first song is that plays?