As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I get THE WITNESS (oh can I get a Witness)

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Those recordings, though? I am usually into all that, but I mostly tune them out, now.
    last night, on the mountain, triggered a re-heally long one that I half-paid attention to, then ignored in favor of puzzling. The beau commented on how his coworker was really moved by that one, so we went and started it again. I'm usually a sucker for space musings, but maybe it's something about the lady's line delivery... she has a nice enough voice, it's not actively annoying, I just am not feeling it.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Those recordings, though? I am usually into all that, but I mostly tune them out, now.
    last night, on the mountain, triggered a re-heally long one that I half-paid attention to, then ignored in favor of puzzling. The beau commented on how his coworker was really moved by that one, so we went and started it again. I'm usually a sucker for space musings, but maybe it's something about the lady's line delivery... she has a nice enough voice, it's not actively annoying, I just am not feeling it.

I've also not liked the delivery of the recordings.
    The base quotes are often gold. But too often the person speaking them puts stresses in strange places, trying to say "Yes, this is inspirational/deep".

I'd have rather read them for myself and contextualise them without this outside input, or heard them delivered flat so that they get completed quicker.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Ending spoilery stuff
    Fuck that thing

Y'know the other thing?

Fuck that.

• Options
    I should probably do something with all these lasers at some point, hey.

I may be just getting all the +1s at the moment.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Can someone help me out with a seemingly useless puzzle in the town
    once you activate the 2 noise puzzles, it opens up a shipping crate with the light that changes from red to green to blue, how the hell do you do those 2 color changing puzzles?

Also with the wrecked ship
    , how do you do that 1 puzzle with the 2 sounds?.... im only hearing drips and not hearing any sort of tone change

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    re: recordings
    I was actually super into the juxtoposition of the pro-reason and pro-faith quotations a whole bunch

but holy shit the discount Pale Blue Dot monologue on top of the mountain bored me to death

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Barcardi wrote: »
    once you activate the 2 noise puzzles, it opens up a shipping crate with the light that changes from red to green to blue, how the hell do you do those 2 color changing puzzles?

, how do you do that 1 puzzle with the 2 sounds?.... im only hearing drips and not hearing any sort of tone change

Eh.. hard to give vague hints but I'll give it a shot.
    The color changing puzzles are RGB.

In the wrecked ship, there's more than drip sounds.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i beat the challenge, so 100% achievements. What a good game.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I've gotten to the part of the game where I understand everything, I'm just not smart enough.

Specifically the mountain.
    Second room, I think. There's six boards with six different requirements that you have to beat with the same solution and I'm stuck on the last one, which really just adds one vertical two-piece but it's just enough to where every possible solution I can think of gets shut down.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I've gotten to the part of the game where I understand everything, I'm just not smart enough.

Second room, I think. There's six boards with six different requirements that you have to beat with the same solution and I'm stuck on the last one, which really just adds one vertical two-piece but it's just enough to where every possible solution I can think of gets shut down.

I loved that series of puzzles.

broken image link
  • Options
    Oh no.
    The slow Braid cloud is back.
    Except this time in the form of a solar eclipse.

I haven't seen this one.
    But there is a +1 which has a ridiculously long period where you just have to stand in place and wait.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

The funny thing about this puzzle is that the solution I had for the third or fourth board ended up working for the rest of them

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Major spoilers
    Seriously
    the jug is in the game I repeat the jug is in the game

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Your continued insistence on being dismissive and condescending towards me isn't exactly helping, dude.

Edit: I'm not gonna go boot up the game and go through all those puzzles again until I find the couple that I had this issue with, and then try and remember what my other solution was on top of that. If I was stuck on them it would be easy to do that but since I've completed those sections and moved on, that's more effort than I'm willing to put in.

I will paypal you $100 if you can show me a valid solution that the game does not accept.
    I thought I found one of those, but I came back to it later found what I was missing.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Jonathan Blow this is the rudest thing you've done in the game.
    Under the windmill, +1, and other very, very late/post game spoilers
    The cavern challenge video's eclipse +1 solution is the most ridiculous thing ever. I'm sitting here waiting for like an hour+ long video where the circle starts at the very beginning and slowly moves across the screen over the course of the video and ends up in the correct spot at the VERY end.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    The cavern challenge video's eclipse +1 solution is the most ridiculous thing ever. I'm sitting here waiting for like an hour+ long video where the circle starts at the very beginning and slowly moves across the screen over the course of the video and ends up in the correct spot at the VERY end.
    The lecture that plays at this point is very interesting though. Gives a good insight into Blow's design philosophy, and just games design in general. I'd heard it before, but was more than willing to sit through the whole thing again.

I see it as him saying "if you want to complete this game, then you will understand why I made it the way I did."

And possibly making a comment on what it is to truly finish a game, not just in the sense of reaching an ending.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    Finally finished the Forest
    between this area and that one Undertale puzzle, I would not be surprised if i was slightly tone deaf. I understood what the mechanic of the puzzles was, but the later ones of both types were just too hard for me to parse and I essentially brute forced them. There's a real chance in the future that I'll just end up looking up any later sound puzzles because they feel like pure trial and error for me rather than something I could work out with enough time/paper/thought.

The only area left for me to finish is the Tree-Tops, which I've been almost done with for a week but still haven't figured out the last leg. I'd appreciate an extremely mild hint at this point:
    I've finished building all the bridges in the area, the only thing that's left is finding a way to get into the door with the timer. The distance to the door itself from the timer seems too great to be able to reach with the straightforward way, but all of my alternative ideas have also failed. I tried looking through the cracks in the boards to see if I could solve the panel on the other side of the door and there's no good vantage point, and I can't find a vantage point for the main door opening panel from anywhere closer to the door. I'm not used to being stuck on a puzzle in this game that wasn't on an actual panel, so I'm confused what other things to try.

• Options
    between this area and that one Undertale puzzle, I would not be surprised if i was slightly tone deaf. I understood what the mechanic of the puzzles was, but the later ones of both types were just too hard for me to parse and I essentially brute forced them. There's a real chance in the future that I'll just end up looking up any later sound puzzles because they feel like pure trial and error for me rather than something I could work out with enough time/paper/thought.

The only area left for me to finish is the Tree-Tops, which I've been almost done with for a week but still haven't figured out the last leg. I'd appreciate an extremely mild hint at this point:
    I've finished building all the bridges in the area, the only thing that's left is finding a way to get into the door with the timer. The distance to the door itself from the timer seems too great to be able to reach with the straightforward way, but all of my alternative ideas have also failed. I tried looking through the cracks in the boards to see if I could solve the panel on the other side of the door and there's no good vantage point, and I can't find a vantage point for the main door opening panel from anywhere closer to the door. I'm not used to being stuck on a puzzle in this game that wasn't on an actual panel, so I'm confused what other things to try.

Any small hint will probably be a pretty big giveaway. I'll try to be as obscure as possible, but read at your own risk.
    Take another look at some puzzles in the area. You're missing an important detail.

broken image link
  • Options
    You do know you can scrub through the video and start at any point by half-completing the puzzle that gets added after you play it the first time, right?

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    You do know you can scrub through the video and start at any point by half-completing the puzzle that gets added after you play it the first time, right?
    Doesn't work in this case, you need to hit the circle at the start of the video, and end the line at the end of the video, and you can't leave the puzzle to fiddle with the controls or you have to start again.

broken image link
  • Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular

Any small hint will probably be a pretty big giveaway. I'll try to be as obscure as possible, but read at your own risk.
    Take another look at some puzzles in the area. You're missing an important detail.

Thanks! I haven't solved it quite yet but I see what I was missing now.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

still dont really get it, ive been staring at these long enough i need a more obvious hint

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

still dont really get it, ive been staring at these long enough i need a more obvious hint
    several puzzles have multilpe solutions. what would happen if you solved them differently?

• Options
    jaziek wrote: »
    The lecture that plays at this point is very interesting though. Gives a good insight into Blow's design philosophy, and just games design in general. I'd heard it before, but was more than willing to sit through the whole thing again.

I see it as him saying "if you want to complete this game, then you will understand why I made it the way I did."

And possibly making a comment on what it is to truly finish a game, not just in the sense of reaching an ending.
    Yeah I just started the video then walked away and played some diablo while it went w h o o p s.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Machwing wrote: »
    @machwing
    The starting circle is in the lower right corner. It lines up behind the AV booth.

The finishing circle is in the upper left corner.

You cannot move from the spot once you start tracing the line from the starting circle. So no, you can't scrub the video when you're on the other side of the room from the controls and currently drawing a line.

rhylith on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Just "beat" the game.

I don't know if I could think of a lamer ending than what I just saw.

I burst out laughing when
    The "deep closing monologue" ended and the game closed itself

so at least there was some unintentional hilarity it had going for it.

Overall this game is one I'd say had some serious highs and very serious lows. Some areas/mechanics were more fun/better taught/better designed than others. When I hated it, I hated it a lot. When I enjoyed it, it was very satisfying.

That final area was bad IMO.
    The game is at it's best when you are learning new mechanics for each area. The final area is just retreads of old ones. And a lot of parts of it are very, VERY tedious. The twists put on a lot of the final puzzles are just frustrating and time-wasting. The worst puzzles in the game are the ones that rely on obstructing your view and there's a lot of that in the final area. Making me spend time taking pictures of things or finding the perfect angle to stand in is just busywork. The puzzles work best when it's just about figuring out the logic behind the symbols. I actually got to the point where I started looking up solutions, not because I was having trouble figuring them out, but because the nature of some of those series of puzzles was sucking the fun out of it for me and I wanted to blaze past them.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Okay so I am just about to start on the mountain but there is one small thing that I want to clarify.
    Is there a laser for the orchard area with the apples on the trees. At first I thought the sound area didn't have a laser but then I found it awhile after I complete all of it's puzzles. That would leave the orchard as the only place I have seen without a laser and if there actually is one I would like to get it just to say I did

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay so I am just about to start on the mountain but there is one small thing that I want to clarify.
    Is there a laser for the orchard area with the apples on the trees. At first I thought the sound area didn't have a laser but then I found it awhile after I complete all of it's puzzles. That would leave the orchard as the only place I have seen without a laser and if there actually is one I would like to get it just to say I did
    No.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

no that area is just a tutorial

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Just "beat" the game.

I don't know if I could think of a lamer ending than what I just saw.

I burst out laughing when
    The "deep closing monologue" ended and the game closed itself

so at least there was some unintentional hilarity it had going for it.

Overall this game is one I'd say had some serious highs and very serious lows. Some areas/mechanics were more fun/better taught/better designed than others. When I hated it, I hated it a lot. When I enjoyed it, it was very satisfying.

That final area was bad IMO.
    The game is at it's best when you are learning new mechanics for each area. The final area is just retreads of old ones. And a lot of parts of it are very, VERY tedious. The twists put on a lot of the final puzzles are just frustrating and time-wasting. The worst puzzles in the game are the ones that rely on obstructing your view and there's a lot of that in the final area. Making me spend time taking pictures of things or finding the perfect angle to stand in is just busywork. The puzzles work best when it's just about figuring out the logic behind the symbols. I actually got to the point where I started looking up solutions, not because I was having trouble figuring them out, but because the nature of some of those series of puzzles was sucking the fun out of it for me and I wanted to blaze past them.

Where's that disagree button

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    So close! I'm one +1 off at least two obelisks, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vMUvCYTtmM&index=1&list=RD3vMUvCYTtmM

• Options
    Spoilery question:

Does anyone have an accurate count of how many puzzles are actually in the game?

• Options
    there's at least six or seven puzzles

l3icwZV.png
  • Options

Red Green and Blue are often superimposed to make any colour.

In the ship, you have the drips on a short cycle and spooky sounds on a long cycle.

• Options
    Well i finally just up and beat it. Im guessing
    there are at least 2 other ways to beat it?... i just found the 2nd with the ultra spoiler
    piss jug VR thing and now im watching him eat crackers... and i didnt get all the puzzles so im assuming there is more to it

I... i dont know what to make of this, plot? wise
    judging by the return to the beginning, and then the 2nd ending thing i am currently watching, this is a game about making games?... and how something? I dont get it. I feel like i need to read a blog post about it.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

It's an odd tutorial, too, because as far as I can tell,
    there's only one panel it helps with.

• Options
    forty wrote: »

It helps set you up for using the environment to solve puzzles, as up to that point the puzzles have been entirely on the panels.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I'm closing in on 300 plates done I think, which is insane to me because I'm trying to think of where more puzzles even are now. Just about finished at the quarry, I think?

Haven't managed to do a single +1, even though I'm pretty sure I know what they are and have found one? Couldn't figure out what to do though

• Options
    edited February 2016
    forty wrote: »

It helps set you up for using the environment to solve puzzles, as up to that point the puzzles have been entirely on the panels.
    I guess it's another way of reinforcing the "mind your surroundings" nature of the game, but other areas do that too:
    The mirror line/reflection puzzles by the water, the shadow forest, the flower bunker, the hedge mazes, etc. It feels kind of like they came up with a "this is pretty neat" puzzle type, but couldn't quite figure out a way to extend it enough to show up more, or, apparently, to be considered worthy of a laser. But they left it in because it's cool and worth having around thematically (which I'm on board with), even if there's only one other green panel in the entire game.

I'm not saying it's bad, but more that it's strange that it felt like it was building up to more than it actually did. I actually wasted like 10 minutes looking all around and clicking on things in the final unlocked section of the grove, because I figured there had to be more to it. It makes me wonder if there were some notable things that got cut related to that area/mechanic.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    I'm closing in on 300 plates done I think, which is insane to me because I'm trying to think of where more puzzles even are now. Just about finished at the quarry, I think?

Haven't managed to do a single +1, even though I'm pretty sure I know what they are and have found one? Couldn't figure out what to do though
    I want to say you can do at least (not really sure this number is a spoiler but just in case)
    or so panels before diving into the final area (and I'd hazard that's a conservative guess). So I'd say you're getting close, but probably still missing some things. I don't know if there's an updated map, but (mildly spoilery) this old map of the island is still pretty accurate for laying out where there are "places to do things." There are a couple zones in there that don't really have much, if anything, in the way of panels, as far as I'm aware, and the flower bunker is not really noted as a significant area, even though it probably has a good 20 or so panels, but it's still a pretty handy reference. Take a good look at that and maybe reinvestigate some areas or ask people here about places you're unsure you've done much in.

forty on