Options

The [American Political Media]: The People Who Shape The Political Landscape

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Why do we not have a rule about posting YouTube videos in lieu of an argument? I want goddamn sources not videos about how the rothchilds are really a secret cabal that control the US and that is why we should abolish the fed.

Those videos might not be them but I am not watching them. If I don't watch the goddamn cnn video links when they want to have video articles I am sure as shit not going to watch a YouTube video news production by some rando

Edit: it's also worth noting that the judge thinks those are inaccurate.

Edit addl: if you want some of the indictments they online and not pretty. He threatened federal officers(with doxing and violence), claimed that his organization was part of the hacks as well as threatened more.

On top of this the info shared in the link. Was stolen credit card numbers and verification information. He transfered the link from a private channel where the hack was planed/executed place to a public channel

Now maybe he didn't do any of these things and someone hacked his Twitter account to make those threats... But that is an issue for the court because the actions alleged are criminal and that warrants bent arrested.

https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/115935232/Barrett-Brown-Indictment-No-2

Scribd contains more links to the other indictments at the bottom of the page so you can read the rest if you feel it's necessary

Yeaaaaaah these things are all super-illegal and have nothing to do with journalism or free speech soooo

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Trace wrote: »
    And if they tell the truth about Trump he'll be mean to them and they won't get to have shitty food at Mar A Lago.

Speaking of, Scarborough and Brzezinski were there last night. Totally appropriate!

Yeah, I had some respect for Brezezinski at one point but the ties those two have with Trump just sort of makes me sick to my stomach.

You'd think fucking Mika wouldn't be able to stand Trump but no she goes to his fucking parties.

Mika being in Trump's circle doesn't surprise me. She's a socialite, not a journalist - she just plays one on tv.

Yeah but I thought she was at least passionate about shit. I remember her walking off more than once when she had to report shit about Paris Hilton or something equally as stupid. Even if she wasn't purely a journalist that doesn't mean she couldn't have done the job.

turns out she's more interested in partying it up with the Pussy Grabber in Chief.

Nope. Her job is to be Joe's faux liberal, and she's not particularly good at this. It is funny when she actually does get pissed at him over something, which usually has to do with sexism. It's rare, though.

this is part of why I'm wondering just why she's so okay with Trump.

and Mika was/is more than just a limb of Joe Scarborough. I always appreciated how she'd focus on getting people to go out and do shit for their health and she always seemed to be relatively level headed as opposed to other political pundits but I guess I didn't realize how much like her father she is not.

Maybe she's being a good soldier for the party? He won, so gotta follow the champ no matter where he leads.

edit: Publicly, at least.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    And if they tell the truth about Trump he'll be mean to them and they won't get to have shitty food at Mar A Lago.

Speaking of, Scarborough and Brzezinski were there last night. Totally appropriate!

Yeah, I had some respect for Brezezinski at one point but the ties those two have with Trump just sort of makes me sick to my stomach.

You'd think fucking Mika wouldn't be able to stand Trump but no she goes to his fucking parties.

Mika being in Trump's circle doesn't surprise me. She's a socialite, not a journalist - she just plays one on tv.

Yeah but I thought she was at least passionate about shit. I remember her walking off more than once when she had to report shit about Paris Hilton or something equally as stupid. Even if she wasn't purely a journalist that doesn't mean she couldn't have done the job.

turns out she's more interested in partying it up with the Pussy Grabber in Chief.

Nope. Her job is to be Joe's faux liberal, and she's not particularly good at this. It is funny when she actually does get pissed at him over something, which usually has to do with sexism. It's rare, though.

and Mika was/is more than just a limb of Joe Scarborough. I always appreciated how she'd focus on getting people to go out and do shit for their health and she always seemed to be relatively level headed as opposed to other political pundits but I guess I didn't realize how much like her father she is not.

Maybe she's being a good soldier for the party? He won, so gotta follow the champ no matter where he leads.

Man, after the stupid shit that got Olbermann fired from MSNBC I certainly hope Joe and Mika get the boot.

• Options

Man, after the stupid shit that got Olbermann fired from MSNBC I certainly hope Joe and Mika get the boot.

Olbermann was a mean ol' liberal, Joe and Mika are here to stay. Especially since the channel's current boss/es are conservative.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also worth noting there are constant rumors that they're fucking and it's the reason for Mika's divorce.

Morning Joe is a perfect microcosm of the incestuous bullshit that is the DC media.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Joe blubbering about people calling him out for going to Trump parties.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/01/02/the-medias-hypocrisy-and-hyperventilating-in-the-age-of-trump/?utm_term=.364536e7325d

90% of it is him bragging about going to Trump parties and getting interviews

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

Olbermann was a mean ol' liberal, Joe and Mika are here to stay. Especially since the channel's current boss/es are conservative.

Chris Matthews was basically an unofficial spokesman of the Clinton campaign, that he was bad at it doesn't change that. So don't think that anybody cares.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Megyn Kelly is moving from cable to network with NBC practically creating an entirely new format for her: She'll be hosting a daytime network news and interview program, plus a Sunday evening news expose.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Chris Matthews was basically an unofficial spokesman of the Clinton campaign, that he was bad at it doesn't change that. So don't think that anybody cares.

As opposed to a campaign manager that is literally being paid by trump?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Megyn Kelly is moving from cable to network with NBC practically creating an entirely new format for her: She'll be hosting a daytime network news and interview program, plus a Sunday evening news expose.

The Sunday night thing must be cable or not airing during the fall, because NBC has Sunday Night Football.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

The Sunday night thing must be cable or not airing during the fall, because NBC has Sunday Night Football.

The details in the Times piece are awfully sketchy, but it sounds like it's a network broadcast. It could take a haitus during the fall, or it might be something like a 5 PM broadcast before or in lieu of the normal Sunday evening news, which I believe still plays prior to Sunday Night Football. I suppose it could even be an 11 PM show in the style of what Nightline used to be when Ted Koppel anchored it.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The House Republicans tried to gut the ethic committee. Word spread on social media and Congressional switchboards soon began to melt. At least publicly, the GOP have since backed off.

Who gets credit for this in the media? Why, Trump, of course. He tweeted this.

And that, according to multiple media sources, supposedly convinced the House GOP to knock it off.

Fuck that noise.

• Options
    If you ask the actual House GOP, it was the phone calls.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    The House Republicans tried to gut the ethic committee. Word spread on social media and Congressional switchboards soon began to melt. At least publicly, the GOP have since backed off.

Who gets credit for this in the media? Why, Trump, of course. He tweeted this.

And that, according to multiple media sources, supposedly convinced the House GOP to knock it off.

Fuck that noise.

The myth of trump the moderate begins.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    If people are looking for media with a spine to financially support, I would recommend the likes of The New Yorker which features this concise yet thorough dressing down (by Amy Davidson) of the ethics kerfluffle. They have been consistently critical, rhetorically and analytically, about Trump if not as critical about their courtier bedfellows unfortunately.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Matthews loves winners, no matter which side they're on. He was on Team W. was he was popular, too. He's an opportunist at heart, not a Democrat.

edit: For example, he loved when W. did that Mission Accomplished bullshit on that navy ship, couldn't get enough. It wasn't until the tide turned against W. that he did, as all.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Everybody in the SCLM loved that publicity stunt. Mathews was not unique in that regard.

• Options
    Everybody in the SCLM loved that publicity stunt. Mathews was not unique in that regard.

Maybe not, but that wasn't uncommon for his tenure during W.'s administration.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    No, that's true. He's an opportunist of the worst sort. But he'll occasionally set his sights on the foolishness of the right, so he looks like some kind of liberal.

• Options
    Matthews is a Democrat (worked for Tip O'Neill as he will never shut the fuck up about), but he's also a chauvinist, so likes strong manly men. With big codpieces.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Are the fox news viewers dying off or what? I've been expecting that to happen for the last 10 years but I don't see any evidence of their ratings dropping (am I wrong?). So are old people not dying as fast as they used to or do all people suddenly become fox news viewers as they become old? If it's the latter, there might be a connection to senility there.

Hoz on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    Are the fox news viewers dying off or what? I've been expecting that to happen for the last 10 years but I don't see any evidence of their ratings dropping (am I wrong?). So are old people not dying as fast as they used to or do all people suddenly become fox news viewers as they become old? If it's the latter, there might be a connection to senility there.

A bunch of redditors have become Fox News fans as they fall in behind the Alpha Trump

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Life expectancy keeps going up, in large part thanks to access to healthcare.

This year was a relatively good year for Fox because of the election. Just like it was for every other source of political news.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

This year was a relatively good year for Fox because of the election. Just like it was for every other source of political news.

So what you're saying is maybe Paul Ryan's Medicare voucher plan has upsides.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

So what you're saying is maybe Paul Ryan's Medicare voucher plan has upsides.

They always exempt their current voters from what they'll fuck the young with. You know that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Bouie outlines Kelly's history of racial demagoguery:
    Another thing Kelly has demonstrated is racist demagoguery, which defined much of her tenure at Fox News.

In 2010, for example, Kelly devoted hours of coverage to the New Black Panther Party, a small group on the fringe of American politics, because two members of the NBPP were charged with voter intimidation after standing outside of a heavily black polling place in Philadelphia in the 2008 election. Those charges were later dropped, but the incident became the basis for a wide-ranging conspiracy disseminated by conservative writers, websites, and—most prominently—Megyn Kelly. Along with Republican activist J. Christian Adams, then a frequent guest of Kelly’s, the Fox News host spun a disturbing tale of voter intimidation and anti-white racism sanctioned by an Eric Holder–helmed Justice Department that she claimed wouldn’t investigate black Americans accused of criminal activity. “Well, think about that. Think about that. … Now you’re going to have instances like this where Black Panthers and others can go to the polling stations and do this if they so choose. And they just basically are gonna get a pass because while it’s not an official thing, it’s been made very clear to all the rank-and-file voting rights attorneys in the DOJ those cases are not to be pursued,” Kelly said during one broadcast before suggesting that Holder was, in fact, involved in a plan to protect the NBPP.

[…]

The NBPP “controversy” represents a particular fixation of Kelly’s, but it was not her only racist display. In 2013, in reaction to my colleague Aisha Harris’ Slate piece, “Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore,” the Fox anchor infamously claimed that both Santa Claus and Jesus of Nazareth were white men. “Jesus was a white man, too … he’s a historical figure and that’s a verifiable fact, as is Santa.” (The truth is that “white” as a political or racial category didn’t exist in either 1st century Palestine or 3rd and 4th century Turkey—and that Santa’s not real.) In 2015, Kelly insisted that the racist emails exchanged by officials in Ferguson, Missouri—which included a joke about a man seeking “welfare” for his dogs because they are “mixed in color, unemployed, lazy, can’t speak English and have no frigging clue who their Daddies are”—were normal. Kelly has repeatedly invited former Los Angeles Police Department officer Mark Fuhrman on her show to discuss cases of police abuse—where both dismiss the role of racism in police shootings of black Americans. She has bemoaned an “anti-cop, thug mentality” in black communities and blasted the Obama administration for encouraging integrated neighborhoods “whether the communities want it or not.”

This demagoguery does not form the totality of Kelly’s output, but it’s a critical part we can’t ignore. It is misleading to discuss Kelly’s work and future without grappling with her willingness, and occasional eagerness, to spread racist conspiracies and racial fictions. It is a necessary sour note to coverage that otherwise ignores her racism, like most of the commentary on her move from Fox. Indeed, that this isn’t in the discussion about Kelly’s jump to NBC seems like an omen of where American politics, and culture, is heading.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So this is an article about an HBCU sending their band to play the inauguration and the controversy it has caused. It contains the following two paragraphs.
    And beyond Talladega, the controversies raise tough questions for Mr. Trump’s most ardent critics as his presidency dawns: What is the proper response to a president as polarizing as Mr. Trump? Should the office of the president be honored, no matter who fills it? Or should there be four years of pure rejection and defiance?

And if Mr. Trump’s opponents refuse to participate in his presidency, can critics on the right do the same thing to some other president-elect in the future?

*sigh*

• Options
    Yes can they hypothetical situation not just recently applied for 8 FUCKING YEARS JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE?!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yes can they hypothetical situation not just recently applied for 8 FUCKING YEARS JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE?!

Greed and fear.

Fear that they'd not be allowed in the Whitehouse.

Greed of their owners to own more things.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kif: (disgusted groan)

• Options
    Man wikileaks be a bigger tool for suppressing voices you disagree with.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

They are still threatening to sue people who call Assange a rapist.

It's their raison d'etre:

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    WTF indeed.

• Options
    Oh, and as for their vetting of who they go after:

• Options
    That would be awesome if not for the innocent people they are clearly going to expose to abuse.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    do they seriously not get the concept that people can have the same name?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    do they seriously not get the concept that people can have the same name?

Nice try Joaquin Phoenix.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It isn't even! Kaye vs Keye

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
This discussion has been closed.