As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [American Political Media]: The People Who Shape The Political Landscape

1474849505153»

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    What qualifiers should be used then?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Yup Ed

Yup what?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/lists/people/comparing-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-truth-o-met/

Trump lied way way more the Hilary. Often about really easily disprovable things. And to date I don't think he's every admitted actually saying something false. By the record he still looking for the thousands of Muslims in Jersey cheering 9/11.

I'm sorry I'm trying to be nice. But Trump is a liar and if you believe things he says you believe a lot of lies.

and in case you haven't noticed I DONT FUCKING CARE ABOUT TRUMP VOTERS FEELINGS. People deciding their feelings are ore important than actual reality is what got him elected.

No one asked you to care about the feelings of Trump voters; nice strawman. The point was that you called the average Trump voter misinformed because they were Trump voters (along with suggesting that Trump lies 80% of the time; what a nice, convenient round number) as if you know the minds of (lets be generous with our bell curve here) 30 million individuals across 50 states. Nothing in your post addresses, any of that.

The average Trump voter is misinformed.
    Rachel Maddow dissected a PPP poll exclusively pre-released to MSNBC showing the Trump voter as severely detached from reality.

Dow-Jones-Average-under-Obama.jpg?resize=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Donald-Trumo-voters-think-unemployment-rose-under-Obama.jpg?resize=1024%2C576&ssl=1
    Rachel continued.

40% of Trump voters believe that Donald Trump won the popular vote.
    60% of Trump voters believe that millions voted illegally for Clinton.
    73% of Trump voters believe that George Soros paid Trump protesters.
    29% of Trump voters believe California vote should not be included in the popular vote.
    "Maddow“ wrote:
    I think it shows that even after the election, what Trump voters believe about the world is distinctively different from what the rest of the country believe. And from what is true. And this is an alternate reality that they are in, — it is weird enough and specific enough that you can’t say it just springs from broader a misunderstandings or from a broader ignorance on issues that afflicts the country. And this is a specific alternate reality that was created by the Trump movement for a political purpose. And it worked for that political purpose. And now as the Trump administration takes shape, they have to know that they are in power thanks to their voter base that has these false beliefs about the country. False beliefs about the country, false beliefs about the economy, false beliefs about the outgoing president, false beliefs about what California is. In terms of what happens next in our country, it seems important to know this incoming president basically created this fantasy life for his supporters.

Here's the full poll (that they don't bother to release the methodology for). None of the responses to this quiz are all 0's for the wrong answer across demographic levels (including ideology), and there's a strong case to be made that the questions asked have the benefit of being not neutral: the correct answer happens to align well with where you fall on the political spectrum and begs the question (as is being assumed out of hand here) whether people actually know the correct answer or are just presuming what it is based on their current political mood.

Neither of which changes the fact that the core assertion you disagreed with that Trump voters are misinformed/idiots is entirely correct.

It is by any measure not correct. Any survey designer worth his salt would tear that PPP survey to shreds; but assume for a minute that it's not faulty: are you really judging whether someone is informed or not by at best three policy questions? Really? And we're suggesting that being informed is a binary qualifier and not a scale? Sure.

Irrelevant to the point. The survey asks the questions. I'm not relying on it's conclusions, I'm relying on it's data and drawing my own conclusions. I'm saying, from these three questions, the disconnect between Trump voters and reality is obvious. They have no idea wtf they are talking about. So unless you are disputing that the data itself is wrong, that those percentages aren't accurate, your argument does not in any way refute my point.

These results shouldn't be surprising anyway. This is what american political and right-wing media have wrought. The right-wing media have created a cult-esque closed information loop and the mainstream political media have refused to take sides against disinformation, instead choosing to frame everything as "One side vs The Other". Both are systems of information propagation that disconnect what people learn from what is actually true. And so you get a bunch of people, as said above, living in a constructed reality they wholeheartedly believe in.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A cursory examination of the past few pages lead me to believe there is a startling disconnect between what this thread is, and what people think it is.

A more thorough examination leads me to believe that this is pretty much status quo for this thread.

If you want to talk about Trump or the election, there are threads for that. If you want to yell about Trump voters, there is not a thread for that, because that is not what we do here.

And if you want to talk about the media, apparently you're already doing it elsewhere, because it's sure as fuck the case that nobody is doing it in here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.