As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South 2016 Is Over, Be Sad In Here! (New members and Recap thread)

2»

• Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    What were the pin vendors and such like at South? This may have been discussed on the chat apps, but haven't seen anything in the forums. I'm always curious to see which vendors 'get' the whole Pinny arcade thing, and which don't.

• Options
    cheddarhead4cheddarhead4 Memphis, TNRegistered User new member
    edited February 2016
    Hey, everybody. I've been collecting since South 2015, and I knew of Pinny Pals, but never knew much about it. But last weekend at South, I was line-mates with Evanephrine, PedroAsani, and DarkInfero, and they made enough of an impression that I realized I should really check out the pinny community. Although, if I'm being honest, most of that was probably just Evanephrine's sick-ass Thornwatch costume.

On to the recap:

They say that there's a hormone released during birth that helps the mother forget the pain of labor. I think there's something similar that helps us cope with the 350ish non-PAX days of the year. Because I almost didn't go to PAX south this year. I was super-low on vacation days because of a 3-day delay in traveling back in December, and that horrible experience was really bumming me out about flying. Add to that, that my flight to PAX South was delayed by 4 hours (so I had to spend the night in Dallas and fly in on the morning of PAX day 1). Add to that, I suddenly noticed there were only 4 3rd party pins, and then noticed Gearbox and Bioware weren't showing up - I had become convinced that this PAX was going to be "just ok" and that didn't seem worth the torture American Airlines was doing its best to put me through. Somehow, I'd forgotten how fun PAX is, as a rule.

By the end of day 1, I couldn't understand how I could even consider skipping a PAX that I had passes to.

The Eyrewood panel was great. After hearing at Prime that Mike was handing it over to Selinker (who was all-to eager to mention how heavily he was going to alter the game), I was a little worried, but with Rodney Thompson on board, and the changes he implemented, it looked like it was headed in a pretty cool direction. I was lucky enough to playtest it (Guard), and it was incredible.

The Pin-trading panel was a lot of fun, but I do miss the games the Staff used to set up. You'd see a lot more interesting pins that way, and this session was mostly fodder. But I managed to snag a Gavin-custom Mad Scientist Tycho (I'll post a picture when I get home), and grab a few of the more common pins I was missing. My girlfriend got 2 of her 3 remaining Kempers.

With the less-exciting Expo Floor, I got to hit a few more panels, and the "Pitch Your Game" panel is on my to-do list from now on. I've never been to one before, but this one was absolutely hilarious, despite a PAXer having this weird minute-long shouting match with Jeff, where he just refused to sit down when they ran out of time for submissions. He was actually shouting "no" like a child throwing a tantrum.

I loved the tabletop exhibitor area. I've never been to an East, but this is the most tabletop I've seen at a PAX, and I got to meet a few of my favorite game designers. Played (and bought) a new card game - check out Gruff if you haven't heard of it.

My only real complaint about the show was some inexperience among the Enforcers. There was someone running the Merch-table line who told us (at 10am on Friday) that we were probably not going to get an LE pin because of our position in line. According to Brian's tweet, they sold out around 3pm. She was saying the same thing to people on Saturday (before 10a), so we had to stop some people who began to leave and reassure them it was worth staying. Another Enforcer told me the Eyrewood panel wouldn't start a line until half an hour before it began, but we knew better than that and came back just-in-time to be at the front of the line (at 2:30).

cheddarhead4 on
    pFRZJfv.png
  • Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    Greetings!
    lordcheeto wrote: »
    Karmaka looks stunning ... (didn't get to play Karmaka).

Agreed, this looks amazing, and I didn't get to try it either, but in case you weren't aware, there is a print-n-play available on the kickstarter page.
    My highlight of the visit actually came after PAX, Sunday night. Played some Secret Hitler in the Hyatt lobby with a great group of people until 3am, and didn't get their contact info, like an idiot. I was actually bemoaning that on Reddit, and was pointed this way, so that's why I'm here!

Ohhh man that was so much fun! I think the table (in clockwise order) was you, me, @00Fayt00, @Picmin, @neareida, @TheAggroCraig, @evanephrine, @maywest, and @silrn. Many of us should be at East and/or West this year, and I suspect there will be more Hitlerish shenanigans to be had.

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Hitlerish...... That doesn't have any negative connotations.

• Options
    cheddarhead4cheddarhead4 Memphis, TNRegistered User new member

I probably would have gone with "Hitlarious"

pFRZJfv.png
  • Options
    Kiki Kiki Lady Moogle Hat Boston, MARegistered User regular
    darkinfero wrote: »
    I want feed back on the dinner. For East I'm going to plan out the dinner choices a head of time for the pre dinner. We will also beta test the post dinner. So we won't have a problem getting a place to grab dinner as a group.

I am from Boston and know the area around the convention center really well; if you need assistance in finding good places to accommodate a lot of people, I would be happy to help. Also, I like food. :D

I didn't mind the dinner at Repub of Texas. We just got there a wee bit late, and were segregated to the back, which wasn't so bad, as I was being a shy Kiki anyhow. But the pricing was alright, food was decent, and the space provided and their service was excellent. Good pick.

• Options
    thefawnnthefawnn Draws pictures and loves Gabe seattle, WARegistered User regular
    thefawnn wrote: »
    for real if someone proposes to me with a DLC I promise I'll say yes

Can I just keep it in my pocket?

Ok I'm locking this down, guys.
    I guess if we're married I can just touch/look at it whenever I want to, so sure.

...That came out wrong.
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Restaurants either need to step up or shut down, because we had too many bad experiences with service or food. Can we get a list of decent places we all found this year and Sticky it for next year? Places to avoid: Café Ole. Ask Evenstar for the story.
    Agreed. Barriba Cantina was great this year and last, just limited on space. They have a group area upstairs, though. Charlie Wants a Burger was alright, but the server didn't have a very good attention span (thought my friend's 17 year-old younger brother asked for a Jack and Coke, and got it without asking for ID). Whataburger and fast food in the mall was good, but fast food. Subway was an apocalyptic nightmare. Slowest line of my life for being pretty short, running out of bread, and I'm particularly bitter, as it made me late for the Twitch panel. :/

I'm just shocked that many nearby businesses don't seem to watch the convention schedule.
    We also didn't have great experiences with restaurants. Finding a decent bar to meet up with a friend was difficult and the "beer garden" we went to on the Riverwalk was mediocre at best. The only good food experience we had was at Ruth's Chris in the hotel, but let's be honest, it's a super expensive chain restaurant so I would expect it to be good.
    Texas isn't exactly known for its culinary wonders though (except bbq--we had some AMAZING bbq in Austin) and I think we're really spoiled being from Seattle.

• Options
    evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular

This guy is going places.

Also I plan on beefing up my Thornwatch garb a bit for East, so stay tuned for that! :D

• Options
    lordcheetolordcheeto Registered User regular
    I loved the tabletop exhibitor area. I've never been to an East, but this is the most tabletop I've seen at a PAX, and I got to meet a few of my favorite game designers. Played (and bought) a new card game - check out Gruff if you haven't heard of it.
    Somehow missed that one. Looks like they were nestled amongst the video game booths, and I didn't make as thorough a pass of those as I'd have liked. Will check it out!
    adambarg wrote: »
    Greetings!
    Karmaka looks stunning ... (didn't get to play Karmaka).
    Agreed, this looks amazing, and I didn't get to try it either, but in case you weren't aware, there is a print-n-play available on the kickstarter page.
    I was aware, but forgotten in all the other info. Thanks!
    adambarg wrote: »
    My highlight of the visit actually came after PAX, Sunday night. Played some Secret Hitler in the Hyatt lobby with a great group of people until 3am, and didn't get their contact info, like an idiot. I was actually bemoaning that on Reddit, and was pointed this way, so that's why I'm here!
    Ohhh man that was so much fun! I think the table (in clockwise order) was you, me, @00Fayt00, @Picmin, @neareida, @TheAggroCraig, @evanephrine, @maywest, and @silrn. Many of us should be at East and/or West this year, and I suspect there will be more Hitlerish shenanigans to be had.
    Thanks for the rundown! Once I realized there was a panel, I was able to figure out most of that. Getting time off will be a challenge, and there are no more badges being sold for East, but looking into what I might be able to do. I might just show up with a UV wand, and buy badges from people on the street.

• Options
    thefawnn wrote: »
    Restaurants either need to step up or shut down, because we had too many bad experiences with service or food. Can we get a list of decent places we all found this year and Sticky it for next year? Places to avoid: Café Ole. Ask Evenstar for the story.
    Agreed. Barriba Cantina was great this year and last, just limited on space. They have a group area upstairs, though. Charlie Wants a Burger was alright, but the server didn't have a very good attention span (thought my friend's 17 year-old younger brother asked for a Jack and Coke, and got it without asking for ID). Whataburger and fast food in the mall was good, but fast food. Subway was an apocalyptic nightmare. Slowest line of my life for being pretty short, running out of bread, and I'm particularly bitter, as it made me late for the Twitch panel. :/

I'm just shocked that many nearby businesses don't seem to watch the convention schedule.
    We also didn't have great experiences with restaurants. Finding a decent bar to meet up with a friend was difficult and the "beer garden" we went to on the Riverwalk was mediocre at best. The only good food experience we had was at Ruth's Chris in the hotel, but let's be honest, it's a super expensive chain restaurant so I would expect it to be good.
    Texas isn't exactly known for its culinary wonders though (except bbq--we had some AMAZING bbq in Austin) and I think we're really spoiled being from Seattle.
    BBQ?! I mean, I guess, but I'm from KC, so I have all the BBQ I could ever want. The Tex-Mex was great, though! Ruined me on normal tortilla chips and guacamole. That area is a bit of a tourist trap, so it might be an issue of having to go further away. Looking at Yelp, though, there are some great looking places. $30-75 just for the meal, but they look really good. I will definitely have to plan out my meal choices beforehand next time. Speaking of food, hoping @Evenstar can tell us about Cafe Olé.

• Options
    EseellEseell Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    There's a restaurant that we have gone out to on both of our PAX South Sundays now called Dough. Seriously amazing Italian food, but not close to the convention center, so you'll need a car or an Uber or something to get there. I've been pretty disappointed by the Riverwalk, but this year was better than last year, at least, in terms of service. Not good but not consistently inexcusably awful.

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Hey, everybody. I've been collecting since South 2015, and I knew of Pinny Pals, but never knew much about it. But last weekend at South, I was line-mates with Evanephrine, PedroAsani, and DarkInfero, and they made enough of an impression that I realized I should really check out the pinny community. Although, if I'm being honest, most of that was probably just Evanephrine's sick-ass Thornwatch costume.

On to the recap:

They say that there's a hormone released during birth that helps the mother forget the pain of labor. I think there's something similar that helps us cope with the 350ish non-PAX days of the year. Because I almost didn't go to PAX south this year. I was super-low on vacation days because of a 3-day delay in traveling back in December, and that horrible experience was really bumming me out about flying. Add to that, that my flight to PAX South was delayed by 4 hours (so I had to spend the night in Dallas and fly in on the morning of PAX day 1). Add to that, I suddenly noticed there were only 4 3rd party pins, and then noticed Gearbox and Bioware weren't showing up - I had become convinced that this PAX was going to be "just ok" and that didn't seem worth the torture American Airlines was doing its best to put me through. Somehow, I'd forgotten how fun PAX is, as a rule.

By the end of day 1, I couldn't understand how I could even consider skipping a PAX that I had passes to.

The Eyrewood panel was great. After hearing at Prime that Mike was handing it over to Selinker (who was all-to eager to mention how heavily he was going to alter the game), I was a little worried, but with Rodney Thompson on board, and the changes he implemented, it looked like it was headed in a pretty cool direction. I was lucky enough to playtest it (Guard), and it was incredible.

The Pin-trading panel was a lot of fun, but I do miss the games the Staff used to set up. You'd see a lot more interesting pins that way, and this session was mostly fodder. But I managed to snag a Gavin-custom Mad Scientist Tycho (I'll post a picture when I get home), and grab a few of the more common pins I was missing. My girlfriend got 2 of her 3 remaining Kempers.

With the less-exciting Expo Floor, I got to hit a few more panels, and the "Pitch Your Game" panel is on my to-do list from now on. I've never been to one before, but this one was absolutely hilarious, despite a PAXer having this weird minute-long shouting match with Jeff, where he just refused to sit down when they ran out of time for submissions. He was actually shouting "no" like a child throwing a tantrum.

My only real complaint about the show was some inexperience among the Enforcers. There was someone running the Merch-table line who told us (at 10am on Friday) that we were probably not going to get an LE pin because of our position in line. According to Brian's tweet, they sold out around 3pm. She was saying the same thing to people on Saturday (before 10a), so we had to stop some people who began to leave and reassure them it was worth staying. Another Enforcer told me the Eyrewood panel wouldn't start a line until half an hour before it began, but we knew better than that and came back just-in-time to be at the front of the line (at 2:30).

Woo I love new people. Please let us know if you have any questions. Welcome to our community.
    On the enforcer part put it in the community feed back thread under pax south. Also don't be afraid on asking someone else we try to work on the information we get.

darkinfero on
    My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    Kiki wrote: »
    I want feed back on the dinner. For East I'm going to plan out the dinner choices a head of time for the pre dinner. We will also beta test the post dinner. So we won't have a problem getting a place to grab dinner as a group.

I am from Boston and know the area around the convention center really well; if you need assistance in finding good places to accommodate a lot of people, I would be happy to help. Also, I like food. :D

I didn't mind the dinner at Repub of Texas. We just got there a wee bit late, and were segregated to the back, which wasn't so bad, as I was being a shy Kiki anyhow. But the pricing was alright, food was decent, and the space provided and their service was excellent. Good pick.
    I'm from Boston also. You should come to our pin meetup. But I would love the help for some choices. The biggest problem we have is something close by to the convention center. Nothing will be walking distance. Send me a message on the forums or slack.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    Kiki Kiki Lady Moogle Hat Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Kiki wrote: »

I'm from Boston also. You should come to our pin meetup. But I would love the help for some choices. The biggest problem we have is something close by to the convention center. Nothing will be walking distance. Send me a message on the forums or slack.

On it! :biggrin:

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

This guy is going places.

Also I plan on beefing up my Thornwatch garb a bit for East, so stay tuned for that! :D

If you are doing yours, then I need to bring my Winter King. It was debuted at East, so it feels right there. I just need to work out how to pack the antlers...

PAX local people, it would be really useful to keep a list of good places to eat food. Not just for the dinner, but something that we can use to avoid the worst experiences of South. If there are 5 or 6 recommendations around Boston for food that would be great.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    PAX local people, it would be really useful to keep a list of good places to eat food. Not just for the dinner, but something that we can use to avoid the worst experiences of South. If there are 5 or 6 recommendations around Boston for food that would be great.
    I guess you could do your own thing, but the PAX specific forums do pretty good food threads every PAX as well that might be of assistance.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    scrattatatscrattatat BostonRegistered User regular
    Re: food - taco haven and the filling station were A+ eats. Also Augies BBQ, but the trek there is sketchy as all hell.

a4VADIl.png eDL5zgd.png
  • Options
    Beker wrote: »
    I guess you could do your own thing, but the PAX specific forums do pretty good food threads every PAX as well that might be of assistance.

He is right most good food places are a distance away.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    @PedroAsani The Station Cafe (only open M-F) http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-station-cafe-san-antonio
    They have the best sandwiches of all of San Antonio. @callmegar can vouch for that, he works 2 blocks away. Anything on their menu with a pepper (or 5) after it is delicious, and should be the designated lunch spot for every pinny pal on Friday of South. @Lazorz @scrattatat @biohunter71 @sireniti @Watfingers @darkinfero @callmegar and I went there, and I'm assuming they'll all vouch for it being worth it. Also, $2 giant cookies! Every time I am in San Antonio, I will go out of my way to eat here.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm also sad as fuck I didn't get to go to Boozy Ice Cream. NEXT YEAR IT IS

• Options
    Hingo wrote: »
    @PedroAsani The Station Cafe (only open M-F) http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-station-cafe-san-antonio
    They have the best sandwiches of all of San Antonio. @callmegar can vouch for that, he works 2 blocks away. Anything on their menu with a pepper (or 5) after it is delicious, and should be the designated lunch spot for every pinny pal on Friday of South. @Lazorz @scrattatat @biohunter71 @sireniti @Watfingers @darkinfero @callmegar and I went there, and I'm assuming they'll all vouch for it being worth it. Also, $2 giant cookies! Every time I am in San Antonio, I will go out of my way to eat here.

It was good and cheep. I'm vouching for them. Yes we need boozy ice cream @TheAggroCraig.
    Also we need to go to Moses roses. It's a cool bar.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    mightyh0bbesmightyh0bbes Subterranean Arcadian SeattleRegistered User regular
    2 quick things. I was at the panel but lost paper with slack info and Pinny Pals stamp info. Also I'm on mobile couldn't find were these stamps are, or are badges for forums? Anyway, it great to actually speak people, I've been lurking here since late 2013 think. ;).

www.paxsignaturegenerator.com:8080/signature.png
  • Options
    evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    2 quick things. I was at the panel but lost paper with slack info and Pinny Pals stamp info. Also I'm on mobile couldn't find were these stamps are, or are badges for forums? Anyway, it great to actually speak people, I've been lurking here since late 2013 think. ;).

The stamps will be on your Pinny Pals profile page, up near the top. I'll make sure you get one! And the Slack info can be found in the Community Resources sticky too, but basically just click this link: http://bit.ly/1JWlXbs

• Options
    EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Hi mightyh0bbes! Glad to see you posting ^_^

• Options
    Aaaand back to work. The dream ends!

• Options
    EcohoEcoho Registered User regular
    Eseell wrote: »
    There's a restaurant that we have gone out to on both of our PAX South Sundays now called Dough. Seriously amazing Italian food, but not close to the convention center, so you'll need a car or an Uber or something to get there. I've been pretty disappointed by the Riverwalk, but this year was better than last year, at least, in terms of service. Not good but not consistently inexcusably awful.

ill say this that stake house toney romos on the river walk served me the best meat ive had outside of Wyoming and that's about the best recommendation I can give a place. plus the food wasn't nearly as expensive and the service was excellent, so much so I left a $10 tip.

• Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Ecoho wrote: »
    Eseell wrote: »

ill say this that stake house toney romos on the river walk served me the best meat ive had outside of Wyoming and that's about the best recommendation I can give a place. plus the food wasn't nearly as expensive and the service was excellent, so much so I left a $10 tip.

Tony Roma's is actually a well known established chain restaurant that is known for their ribs. They have gone through their ups and downs because they used to be really popular but a lot of the restaurants have now closed down. I think the remaining stores are doing alright. Me and my friend ate there since it has been years since I had Tony Roma's. It was as good as I remember and was glad we decided to eat there one of the days; that onion loaf doe.

dchoy on
    PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Story 1 of x from PAX South 2016:

As some of you know, @sireniti has taken the throne for "best trader on pinnypals for custom art on envelopes" quite handily. She created the Castle Guy Merch, and I knew right away that belonged on a shirt. Well, we went into the planning stages, in secret, on Slack. Eventually, shirts were made. They were given out to various pinny pals before @evanephrine had the trading event on Friday. Eventually @TheAggroCraig arrives, with 8-10 people wearing Castle Guy Merch shirts. He then runs over to me and calls me a douchebag. It was awesome.

Expand the spoilerz to see @sireniti 's amazing job on the Castle Guy Merch shirts!
    qwvx7j0g6dse.jpg

g36w54j0gouj.jpg

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options

As some of you know, @sireniti has taken the throne for "best trader on pinnypals for custom art on envelopes" quite handily. She created the Castle Guy Merch, and I knew right away that belonged on a shirt. Well, we went into the planning stages, in secret, on Slack. Eventually, shirts were made. They were given out to various pinny pals before @evanephrine had the trading event on Friday. Eventually @TheAggroCraig arrives, with 8-10 people wearing Castle Guy Merch shirts. He then runs over to me and calls me a douchebag. It was awesome.

Expand the spoilerz to see @sireniti 's amazing job on the Castle Guy Merch shirts!
    qwvx7j0g6dse.jpg

g36w54j0gouj.jpg

The shirts made me jealous. Who cares about @TheAggroCraig :pop:

My Pin collection
  • Options
    mightyh0bbesmightyh0bbes Subterranean Arcadian SeattleRegistered User regular

The stamps will be on your Pinny Pals profile page, up near the top. I'll make sure you get one! And the Slack info can be found in the Community Resources sticky too, but basically just click this link: http://bit.ly/1JWlXbs
    I must not have any stamps yet, can't see any anywhere.

www.paxsignaturegenerator.com:8080/signature.png
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You have to manually apply for them atm, so I would guess not.

• Options
    BigRedJakeBigRedJake Registered User new member
    This was my second time at PAX South and my second year of pin trading. This time around, I'm officially hooked. I ALMOST completed the Armageddon set (missing cinnabun Gabe) so that was a big plus for me.
    One downside though. No more cramped lanyards for next year. I lost my favorite pin, the 15th year Gabe and Tycho pin while walking around the Expo hall on Sunday. However I was able to trade for another one! I forgot your name but he was so nice, also gave me an extra Armageddon pin for trading to help my collection.
    The panel was fun to watch and I appreciate the panelists who took the time and answered my questions while on the show floor. I was by myself at the expo, but in a way, I didn't feel alone thanks to the friendliness of everyone I came across.
    I look forward to the next PAX South! Now to look for a good pin bag...

• Options
    CrazyspacemanCrazyspaceman Registered User regular

qwvx7j0g6dse.jpg

g36w54j0gouj.jpg

This is amazing I would wear it SO MUCH!

• Options
    Random question. Is it just me, or do the default rubber pin backs really, really suck? Got a pin, put it on my lanyard, and lost the back pretty quickly. Didn't notice until I had (barely) stabbed myself with it.

• Options
    2slayeru2slayeru Mount Gambier, South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    yes your right @lordcheeto the rubber pin backs really, really suck big time

• Options
    Hitchhiker DentHitchhiker Dent Registered User regular

If you are able to get out from downtown a little, there are some great hide-away restaurants. We ate at La Focaccia Friday night, excellent food, sat immediately, and we were serenaded by this little old French man and his Casio.

• Options
    sirenitisireniti USARegistered User regular

I'm making you one!!! Don't worry :biggrin:

• Options
    sireniti wrote: »

I'm making you one!!! Don't worry :biggrin:

I know ^_^