Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    EDIT: Beaten way to the punch.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He had a very solid mini series (with Joe Mad art) and a solo book that lasted 70+ issues and then Cable&Deadpool lasted 50, and those were with him fully in comedy killer mode. it was for whatever reason Way’s book that made him become a top 10 seller with even a few spinoff series.

It’s kind of like how until the last year or two Harley Quinn had been a top 10 book and more popular than WW, the anti hero was a popular thing for just one character in each publishers arsenal.

Vicious Circle and some of the early Deadpool solo stuff was good. Black Tom + Juggs was a good team. And Deadpool desperately wanting to get Siryn's attention was pretty fun early on.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Saw the movie last night. Better than the first one and way more funnier. Need to see again, to catch all the references.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Liefeld is notoriously bad at coming up with names.

If you want a laugh, here's a list of everything Liefeld created. Some standouts include Psilence, Knightsabre, Youngblood, Phantazia, Bloodwulf, Bloodstrike and Bloodpool. I didn't make any of them up.

Knightsabre?
    Sabers.jpg

Holy Hell I'm old :(

halkun on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    And while Leifeld created him, didn't he kind of suck until later writers got ahold of him?

Yeah he wasn't remade into a jokey guy until early 2000's, with Daniel Way's run

Actually Joe Kelly’s and Ed McGuiness’ Deadpool ongoing in 1997 was really where the modern Deadpool character was formed. That introduced things like Blind Al, Weasel, and most of the dark comedy elements and the move towards being a hero. Prior to that he had largely just been a random merc villain in Xforce

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    And while Leifeld created him, didn't he kind of suck until later writers got ahold of him?

Yeah he wasn't remade into a jokey guy until early 2000's, with Daniel Way's run

Joe Kelly's run defined the DP that we know today. The first movie adapted a lot of it - including Blind Al, Ajax and Weasel.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He had a very solid mini series (with Joe Mad art) and a solo book that lasted 70+ issues and then Cable&Deadpool lasted 50, and those were with him fully in comedy killer mode. it was for whatever reason Way’s book that made him become a top 10 seller with even a few spinoff series.

It’s kind of like how until the last year or two Harley Quinn had been a top 10 book and more popular than WW, the anti hero was a popular thing for just one character in each publishers arsenal.

Vicious Circle and some of the early Deadpool solo stuff was good. Black Tom + Juggs was a good team. And Deadpool desperately wanting to get Siryn's attention was pretty fun early on.

One thing I think that DP2's direction put a damper on is including Siryn in a future film
    which I would love to see because she's not only quietly (lol) a character with one of the better larger character arcs in superheroes, but while it was a weird as hell relationship her and Wade kinda worked. Better than Deadpool/Death or Typhoid Mary I thought.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Actually Joe Kelly’s and Ed McGuiness’ Deadpool ongoing in 1997 was really where the modern Deadpool character was formed. That introduced things like Blind Al, Weasel, and most of the dark comedy elements and the move towards being a hero. Prior to that he had largely just been a random merc villain in Xforce

Exactly. Original Deadpool was basically "What if Spider-Man was an assassin?". Joe Kelly made him what he is today with the fourth wall breaking, etc.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    So.
    Since Vanessa was saved by time travel, does that mean Cabel's family still dies?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    giphy.gif

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    So.
    Since Vanessa was saved by time travel, does that mean Cabel's family still dies?
    I'm guessing divergent time lines here?
    In the one where Deadpool goes back to save Vanessa he's already learned the value of helping others and will try really hard to remember to go have a nice long chat with Firefist about the importance of not being a psychopathic mass murderer, then a substantially shorter, stabbier chat with the abusive staff at the Reeducation center about the importance of not being creepy torture freaks when given guardianship over a number of troubled youths.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    So.
    I'm guessing divergent time lines here?
    In the one where Deadpool goes back to save Vanessa he's already learned the value of helping others and will try really hard to remember to go have a nice long chat with Firefist about the importance of not being a psychopathic mass murderer, then a substantially shorter, stabbier chat with the abusive staff at the Reeducation center about the importance of not being creepy torture freaks when given guardianship over a number of troubled youths.

Nothing changes other than what wade changes. The rest of the events happen. He then gets it fixed and goes back and corrects wrongs. The way time travel seems to work is you go back and replace yourself. He went to those specific times /places and changed those events. Everything else still happens though

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The way time travel works is timey wimey

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

I personally don't care much for Way's run. The big thing he added to Deadpool was dueling voices inside Wade's head, which were presented as different colored dialog boxes.

Like other's have said, Joe Kelly really should get most of the thanks (or blame) for crafting the current Deadpool. Other writers have added to this-- Gail Simone has a fun run, and the vespa scene was seemingly inspired by a moment in her run. Gerry Duggan's run with Deadpool is a bit hit or miss, but he has an arc where Deadpool teams up with Cap and Wolverine in a mission to save Chinese mutants that's probably one of the better Deadpool stories.

Also, Rick Remeder wrote a really good Deadpool in his run of X-Force.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, theater showing Deadpool 2!

I am in you!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Well, holy shit that was good.

Now to read some spoilers!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Just finished this. Hot damn it was good. My face hurt from laughing so much. So many little sight gags and Easter eggs. I need to see it a few more times just to catch everything.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    So.
    MediocreAccurateAlleycat-mobile.jpg

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So.
    If Deadpool killed Ryan Reynolds before taking the the part in GL how did he go on to star in any movies after?

• Options
    TIMEY

WIMEY

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    So.
    If Deadpool killed Ryan Reynolds before taking the the part in GL how did he go on to star in any movies after?
    He killed X-men universe Ryan Reynolds.
    Ours is still safe.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I saw this last night, and I laughed pretty much the whole time.

The one joke that really got me laughing hard:
    I'M BATMAN!

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    i was literally the only person in my theater to laugh at the liefeld can't draw feet joke

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    can't believe they got my favorite D&D monster in the movie
    invisible-stalker-e1481930153655.jpg

Also awesome that they got
    Brad Pitt

to play him!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    This is the funniest post credit sequence I have EVER seen.

Was there a post-post one?

The melodrama was INCREDIBLY lame, but the jokes were brilliant.

Cable was perfect. I'm almost sad he wasn't in a real X-Men film, because they nailed him. Not fair, Brolin, doing two of my favorite Marvel characters and being awesome at both.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Cable was perfect. I'm almost sad he wasn't in a real X-Men film, because they nailed him. Not fair, Brolin, doing two of my favorite Marvel characters and being awesome at both.

It's almost like you get the best results by giving control over to people who actually love the source material, instead of people who just want to smear their signature over every aspect of the franchise.

• Options
    I do not cede the "real" X-Men title to those shit movies when Deadpool is right here.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I do not cede the "real" X-Men title to those shit movies when Deadpool is right here.

The X-Men are probably my favorite Marvel heroes, so it saddens me to see how they keep botching some of the best stories. They started out strong, but now it's all over the place.

Jubilee can't win, either.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Disagree; I thought the melodrama grounded the film and was very emotionally effective.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options

Disagree; I thought the melodrama grounded the film and was very emotionally effective.

It felt sloppy. I wasn't sure if it was being played up for humor at key points, and it seemingly wasn't.
    The parts with the kid and Cable were fine. Whatshernames death, not so much.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

It felt sloppy. I wasn't sure if it was being played up for humor at key points, and it seemingly wasn't.
    The parts with the kid and Cable were fine. Whatshernames death, not so much.

When
    Deadpool dies for real, goes to the afterlife, and is able to be with Vanessa again, complete with the acoustic cover of Take On Me, it hit me very emotionally on a deep level.

Of course, I actually remembered the character's name instead of relegating her to Whatshername status, so your mileage may vary, but she was such an integral part to making Wade likeable in the first movie that I found their connection in DP2 to be the cornerstone of the entire film.

Having lost a few people to senseless violence and tragedy may have shaded my experience differently than yours, though.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Saw this today and absolutely loved it. Was laughing my ass off repeatedly and felt the story was so much better this time around.
    The post-credits scene though, that damn near killed me because I saw Wolverine Origins and its treatment of Deadpool is a big reason why I will not watch X-Men anything again. So it was amazingly cathartic.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Saw this today and absolutely loved it. Was laughing my ass off repeatedly and felt the story was so much better this time around.
    The post-credits scene though, that damn near killed me because I saw Wolverine Origins and its treatment of Deadpool is a big reason why I will not watch X-Men anything again. So it was amazingly cathartic.

I feel you haven't seen Logan or Days of Future Past you should change that.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'd say First Class is better than DoFP just based on no time bullshit alone

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

The only post-post credit scene was audio.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Saw the movie, it was really fun, but... BUT! The fun parts and the action parts felt better than DP1, but all the dramatic part felt way worse than in DP1, cringe worthy really.

Still I enjoyed it more than the latest Thor or Infinity Wars, I think if theres a Deadpool III, they should trim the romance part, and maybe structure the whole thing in a tiny bit more conventional way.
    Eventhough the twists were really fun, it felt like the plot had to stop completely in order to get the big jokes in. Thats my only complain... and Vanessa or whatever her name is, she has to go, its the one character draining all the deadpoolness out of the room.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    I want *more* Vanessa in the next movie. The only reason I’m not terribly upset about her role this movie was Domino being awesome.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Make Vanessa into Girlpool and kill off Deadpool in the opening

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I want *more* Vanessa in the next movie. The only reason I’m not terribly upset about her role this movie was Domino being awesome.

Same. Vanessa is great when she's part of the humor rather than the drama.