Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    One thing that I kept rolling my eyes at was.
    Wade being so hung on his looks as his reason for revenge. I mean, Francis didn't make him look like that, that's just what his mutation happened to do. Also I mean, get revenge for the dick torturing you and attempting to sell you as a slave that would make more sense. Because seriously. All other things aside, if I got a get out of jail free card on dying a miserable cancerous death, and as an added bonus got ridiculous super healing, I'd take looking like that as a price any day.
    He thought Francis had the cure. So he wanted that. I don't think he was hung on his looks other than he wanted to have his normal life back, and thought Francis could give him that but wouldn't. The torture was just extra.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I know the thread conversation has turned away from this a bit but for those interested in commentary for the movie, I recently lucked out and came across this gem (do I need to put the video in spoiler tags?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdXhUGfw9qQ

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    By the end of the month? I totally expect DC to see Deadpools success and think they can do the same thing with a raunchy Joker and Harley movie.

https://youtu.be/eX_iASz1Si8

Patton Oswalt said on Twitter that this last trailer was pretty Deadpooled up, and it's hard to disagree.

Ugh, I want to see this movie even less now. Superman is the superhero I like the least. That music killed it.

I am going to see Deadpool a second time though! Great movie, laughed the whole time. Ryan Reynolds was born to play this role. Some of those jokes... just perfect!
    I bet it feels huge in this hand.

Still chuckling at that one today.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Wade being so hung on his looks as his reason for revenge. I mean, Francis didn't make him look like that, that's just what his mutation happened to do. Also I mean, get revenge for the dick torturing you and attempting to sell you as a slave that would make more sense. Because seriously. All other things aside, if I got a get out of jail free card on dying a miserable cancerous death, and as an added bonus got ridiculous super healing, I'd take looking like that as a price any day.
    His looks weren't the reason for revenge.

They were the reason he didn't go after him with the intent to kill him. Once that was off the table, well...out came Chekov's Gun.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    By the end of the month? I totally expect DC to see Deadpools success and think they can do the same thing with a raunchy Joker and Harley movie.

Patton Oswalt said on Twitter that this last trailer was pretty Deadpooled up, and it's hard to disagree.

Ugh, I want to see this movie even less now. Superman is the superhero I like the least. That music killed it.

I am going to see Deadpool a second time though! Great movie, laughed the whole time. Ryan Reynolds was born to play this role. Some of those jokes... just perfect!

Am I the only one that thought baby hand was really creepy?
    Don't know why, but that just creeped me out, even before Wade mentioned that he was planning on masturbating with it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yea, Wade wasn't pissed about the looks directly he was pissed about what he thought that meant. Which was the loss of his girl which was his happiness. Sure, it turned out to be bullshit and she didn't really care in the end but that was not what was going through Wade's head.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    It's also a point of growth for Deadpool as a character:
    He thinks that because of his looks Morena Baccarin won't love him anymore, and that's all he's really concerned with even if he does get to be indestructible and cancer-free. Ultimately, of course, he realizes that the fact he looks like the product of angry avocado sex isn't as important to her as the fact that he's alive.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Don't know why, but that just creeped me out, even before Wade mentioned that he was planning on masturbating with it.
    That's what made me laugh at it so much. They took something creepy and made it even creepier, just because they could.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Okay.
    Yeah, I know he wanted to go after Francis on the hope that he could fix his face, but again, yeah he went after Francis because of how he looked because he didn't think he could have a normal life because of how he looked, he didn't think Vanessa would care about him anymore because of how he looked. I was just saying, how I looked would be the last thing on my mind.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

https://you tu.be/eX_iASz1Si8

Yeah that's the point though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Okay.
    Yeah, I know he wanted to go after Francis on the hope that he could fix his face, but again, yeah he went after Francis because of how he looked because he didn't think he could have a normal life because of how he looked, he didn't think Vanessa would care about him anymore because of how he looked. I was just saying, how I looked would be the last thing on my mind.
    I think he'd be a lot less upset about his looks if he wasn't upset about losing Vanessa. It was all about Vanessa for him. He's motivated by love (or fear of losing it), not vanity.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Okay.
    I think he'd be a lot less upset about his looks if he wasn't upset about losing Vanessa. It was all about Vanessa for him. He's motivated by love (or fear of losing it), not vanity.

but...
    He didn't lose her, that was all in his head, because he was too vain to think she'd love him like that, because he was obsessed with his looks.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    With the success of Deadpool, I think it's high time for the return of Spawn.

90's X-treme overload!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    This is very funny. As I was driving to pick up lunch I suddenly had the realization that Lobo would work for this also.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

90's X-treme overload!

Todd McFarlane did just finish writing a script.

Which he somehow plans to direct.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Okay.

but...
    He didn't lose her, that was all in his head, because he was too vain to think she'd love him like that, because he was obsessed with his looks.

He wouldn't be the first person to assume the one thing someone loves is not the thing they actually love. Its a very human reaction to assume once you're disfigured people in your life will abandon you.

Also I assumed that Vanessa was being polite about his awful looks after he just saved her life and eventually she would leave him because of his looks. Human's are vain, and a lot of people say "I'll love you no matter what!" Until that no matter what looks like the result of broken relationship avocado hate fucking.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    One thing that might be overlooked in all this hubbub and T-Rex imitations is that the movie was only 100 minutes. It was the perfect amount of time, left you wanting more, but hit all the correct story beats.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

90's X-treme overload!

What is john leguizamo up to lately?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    DC already has a deadpoolish comic they could use... Lobo! I mean he fights a roided out santa claus.

Oh god now I'm daring to dream and imagining Danny Trejo as Lobo.

Lobo: Machete 3

• Options

90's X-treme overload!

Oh god I already hate it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Okay.

but...

He wouldn't be the first person to assume the one thing someone loves is not the thing they actually love. Its a very human reaction to assume once you're disfigured people in your life will abandon you.

Also I assumed that Vanessa was being polite about his awful looks after he just saved her life and eventually she would leave him because of his looks. Human's are vain, and a lot of people say "I'll love you no matter what!" Until that no matter what looks like the result of broken relationship avocado hate fucking.

Well again,
    Like I said, this is in exchange for not having to die a horrible death, and getting near invulnerability in exchange this isn't a typical situation. I'm just saying my first thoughts would have been "Holy shit, I'm almost invincible." followed by "Ohh... that fucker, I'm gonna kill him." for the torture and attempted slaving.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Okay.

I should perhaps point out that in the comics Deadpool is not known for being the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Okay.

but...

Well again,
    Like I said, this is in exchange for not having to die a horrible death, and getting near invulnerability in exchange this isn't a typical situation. I'm just saying my first thoughts would have been "Holy shit, I'm almost invincible." followed by "Ohh... that fucker, I'm gonna kill him." for the torture and attempted slaving.

You're thinking rationally, everything about Deadpool the character is the opposite of that. Dude's crazy, he talks to people that aren't there.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

90's X-treme overload!

Oh god I already hate it.

But what if it has Dr. Raven Darktalonblood popping a wheelie off a flaming labia into the torture-suite to fight the rape daemon?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Okay.

but...

Well yeah, that's his character arc right there.

• Options
    You're thinking rationally, everything about Deadpool the character is the opposite of that. Dude's crazy, he talks to people that aren't there.

In the comics is his insanity not a result of what was done to him? This isn't the case in the film.
    Okay.

I should perhaps point out that in the comics Deadpool is not known for being the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

Yes I know. I just chalked it up to part of his character for concentrating his revenge on something so petty. I was just stating what I would have thought this situation. I've never said "This is what I think the movie should have done or would have been better for." Which is what I think most of you are arguing against.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Well, let's put it this way (Deadpool climax):
    If Deadpool didn't have a reason to keep Ajax alive, the character choice at the end would have rung false. Instead of "I'm finally going to do the thing I wanted to do," we got "holy shit this fucker kicked me in the balls one last time he's a dead man."

With that, it really makes Deadpool more sympathetic, plus it makes Colossus seem like he's trying to talk a desperate man off the ledge and be a hero, instead of stopping a murderous jerkface. And it makes it even funnier when Deadpool just shoots him.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Okay.

yes but did you start out Ryan Reynolds sexy?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Okay.

but...

Boo to that idea!
    Don't fuck the ending of 1 up with bullshit in 2, thanks! Happy Endings motherfuckers!

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

In the comics is his insanity not a result of what was done to him? This isn't the case in the film.

I'm not so sure about that
    Before Ajax operates on him, Wade never once addresses the audience or outright breaks the fourth wall. The most he does is bump into it

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Okay.

but...

Ending spoiler
    Honestly, I was half expecting Vanessa to throw up during the final kiss to subvert the happy ending.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    If Deadpool didn't have a reason to keep Ajax alive, the character choice at the end would have rung false. Instead of "I'm finally going to do the thing I wanted to do," we got "holy shit this fucker kicked me in the balls one last time he's a dead man."

With that, it really makes Deadpool more sympathetic, plus it makes Colossus seem like he's trying to talk a desperate man off the ledge and be a hero, instead of stopping a murderous jerkface. And it makes it even funnier when Deadpool just shoots him.

Well, again.
    I was just stating what I would have thought this situation. I've never said "This is what I think the movie should have done or would have been better for." Which is what I think most of you are arguing against.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Okay.

he also mentions at one point
    he doesn't want Francis doing that (torture etc) to anyone else

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Ewww, someone got Batman vs. Superman in the Deadpool thread. It's like poop that can't be cloroxed away.

The only hope for that movie may be to just go editorial kung-fu and leave Eisenberg on the cutting room floor.

• Options

Well, again.
    I was just stating what I would have thought this situation. I've never said "This is what I think the movie should have done or would have been better for." Which is what I think most of you are arguing against.

It should go without saying that most of us wouldn't do 99.9994% of what Deadpool does, and society's better for it. :P

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Wade was unhinged, then the torture drove him complete off the edge - that why he could suddenly talk with the audience, and he much less lucid moments of sanity.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    The important question is who has squirrel girl?

cjVfdhD.jpg

Joking aside, Fox almost definitely has Squirrel Girl.

She first showed up in the "Marvel Super-Heroes" anthology in an Iron Man story, and then was a major character in Great Lakes Avengers. She has humorously been retconned away from being a mutant, so I imagine Marvel has the film rights. She's never really been associated with the X-Men, even when the GLA temporarily became the GLX.

She's best known as a mutant and was likely one of the hundreds of characters listed in the contract. Based on the Spider-Man rights contract that leaked, it isn't just the word "mutant" written on a page that they have the rights to (though they do also have the rights to the word in conjunction with Marvel properties as shown with the Mutant X fiasco), it's a huge and comprehensive list of characters as well. The joke in the comic doesn't actually change that, it's just there to poke fun.

She had preciesly one appearence when those contracts would have been written. (Marvel Super-Heroes #8 in 1992) and didn't show up again until 2005, two year after the second X-Men film. She was litererally a one-off joke character at the time.. I'd be VERY surprised if she actually made it into a contract.

• Options

Wade was unhinged, then the torture drove him complete off the edge - that why he could suddenly talk with the audience, and he much less lucid moments of sanity.

You know, I was thinking about the movie's change in pre-'Pool's mental state.

It allowed the movie to be an almost non-stop wall of barely-grounded ridiculousness, the likes of which we've never seen before. I may be wrong, but the funny really only stopped for any length of time
    during the aphyxiation torture/fire fight scene, right? Maaaaybe during Colossus' speech, but that doubled as a long setup for one big joke.

Having pre-'Pool be
    kinda normal
    would have made the flick seem much closer to a stereotypical superhero movie. Yeah, it's a change, but superhero flicks have been almost overdue this kind of tonal shift.

I'm still gobsmacked they managed to humanize Deadpool as much as they did while keeping up the funny. By Hollywood average, this movie shouldn't have worked. It's kind of a miracle it did.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Normal humans are actually kind of silly

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    What if someone out there sees Deadpool as an opportunity to do a film reboot of Big Head/The Mask.