As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I wonder if eventually Fox and Marvel are going to have some team up retconning event to merge the 2 cinematic universes.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's no reason for them to do so, but every fan wants that I think. It's confusing for the average movie-goer who doesn't know which characters can or cannot interact. It's hard enough to know the distinction between DC and Marvel, but then ALSO knowing MCU vs X-Men Universe plus the whole Spider-Man/Sony deal and then there's Agents of Shield and the Arrowverse and Gotham and the Netflix series and *vomit* I forgot where I was going with this but yeah
    I wanna see Wolverine and Deadpool in Avengers Infinity War
    I want a House of M movie
    I want all the things

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The important question is who has squirrel girl?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    You know, after watching Deadpool and feeling refreshed by it in comparison to the other super hero movies, I wish that they would end the Avengers Universe at Avengers 3, just make it a 2 or 3 part super movie and that is the end! Give Evans and Downey and the rest who are getting tired with it a solid end date.

I think Deadpool will help with the seeping malaise of the glut of super hero movies, but I think the time is drawing near where we just need to put an end to it and call it good for a decade or so.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    You know, I just realized something. The way the flick tinkered with Deadpool's origin, it technically makes him a mutant.

Would that be a way for Fox to make sure the MCU can't use him? Or am I overthinking this and this was just a pretext to get Colossus and Negasonic in there?

Fox has the rights to the word "mutant". Which is why in Age of Ulton Quicksilver and Scarlet are called "superhumans" or something to that effect.
    When Francis lifts that arms buyer by the neck and the guy mumbles "mutant", my first thought was "ok, now Fox is just rubbing it in..."

sig.gif
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

cjVfdhD.jpg

Joking aside, Fox almost definitely has Squirrel Girl.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    You know, I just realized something. The way the flick tinkered with Deadpool's origin, it technically makes him a mutant.

Would that be a way for Fox to make sure the MCU can't use him? Or am I overthinking this and this was just a pretext to get Colossus and Negasonic in there?

Fox has the rights to the word "mutant". Which is why in Age of Ulton Quicksilver and Scarlet are called "superhumans" or something to that effect.
    When Francis lifts that arms buyer by the neck and the guy mumbles "mutant", my first thought was "ok, now Fox is just rubbing it in..."

In the comic they actually went to far as to retcon a secret baby switch for those two so they're no longer officially mutants.

There's also a page somewhere with Squirrel Girl where her mother tells her she is not a mutant and is something else that is legally distinct from mutants...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

In the comic they actually went to far as to retcon a secret baby switch for those two so they're no longer officially mutants.

There's also a page somewhere with Squirrel Girl where her mother tells her she is not a mutant and is something else that is legally distinct from mutants...

The twins having questionable parentage isn't a change, it's practically part of their powerset. The whole change of them being mutants was itself a retcon, as was them being Magneto's kids. The change probably has more to do with the fact that he's essentially the only "mutant" at the time to be exposed to Terrigen gas, because changing that had absolutely no effect on who held the rights to the characters, but the change did have an impact on Marvel's plans for mutants in the comics.

And Squirrel Girl is a comic that is mostly about taking pointed jabs at the comics themselves. So, yeah, why would they not make jokes about people accusing Marvel of changing characters to fit some imagined legal dispute.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Yeap, Scarlet Witch originally had some sort of mystical origin. She became a mutant when mutants were super popular.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    webguy20 wrote: »
    You know, after watching Deadpool and feeling refreshed by it in comparison to the other super hero movies, I wish that they would end the Avengers Universe at Avengers 3, just make it a 2 or 3 part super movie and that is the end! Give Evans and Downey and the rest who are getting tired with it a solid end date.

I think Deadpool will help with the seeping malaise of the glut of super hero movies, but I think the time is drawing near where we just need to put an end to it and call it good for a decade or so.

The people who feel anything approaching burnout are an exceptionally tiny fraction of the audience, so putting the brakes on the whole endeavor would be kind of silly. The ones who don't want to watch all the movies can just, you know, not watch all the movies.

In other news, Deadpool is just as enjoyable the second time. Also, there were some epic lines trailing out my theater for the 2:00 showing.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Between the "success" of 50 Shades and now Deadpool, I can't wait to see what the studios are going to fall over themselves to make now that R rated Valentine's Movie is a thing.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly, Deadpool came at the perfect time -- we're just about at Peak Superhero, and someone had to do a parody. I'm just happy it was Deadpool and not the Wayanses.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I've always been one who doesn't want the X-men and MCU universes connecting. Because it wouldn't make sense. In the comics, people hate mutants but have no problem with mutates. We can have alcoholic billionaires flying around in one-man-personal-army-in-a-can and a guy that climbs walls and swings on webs, but god forbid you are born with powers, because suddenly you are public enemies number one. With X-men and MCU separate, it makes sense. Now normal people can be afraid of superpowered people and not be hypocritical when they go to a Captain America parade. Honestly, I would have loved the Secret Wars event had done the same to the X-men and Marvel Universes.

• Options
    I like the MCU and X-universe being separate.

I also wouldn't want Deadpool in any serious X-movie, because it would break it. But I would enjoy a kind of subset of the X-universe devoted to characters like Deadpool and Squirrel Girl that maintains its own parody continuity.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    If Marvel universes were to keep colliding, we should get the G1 era Transformers in there too. Hell, Spidey showed up in an early TFs issue, circa 1984...

...really I just want someone other than that imbecile Bay to get a shot at doing Transformers right.

Anyway, yes, can confirm Deadpool is just as good the seond time around. Took myself out to a midnight showing last night. Much more chucklesome audience than the Wednesday matinee was. Knowing the jokes that were coming up didn't diminish them one bit. So many brilliant moments, so rewatchable. Really, really glad it's doing so well.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    But I would enjoy a kind of subset of the X-universe devoted to characters like Deadpool and Squirrel Girl that maintains its own parody continuity.

I think that's got to be the best way to handle it. Gives them a bit more freedom to play with it, as well.

The comics don't all exist in just the one reality; why should the movies?

Jazz on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Honestly, Deadpool came at the perfect time -- we're just about at Peak Superhero, and someone had to do a parody. I'm just happy it was Deadpool and not the Wayanses.

There's actually been a superhero spoof movie.

Superhero_movie.jpg

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    I kind of regard Mystery Men as a superhero parody movie. I know it isn't in the strictest sense, but it's close enough. And it's brilliant.

Weird to think it cost more to make than Deadpool did...

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

cjVfdhD.jpg

Joking aside, Fox almost definitely has Squirrel Girl.

She first showed up in the "Marvel Super-Heroes" anthology in an Iron Man story, and then was a major character in Great Lakes Avengers. She has humorously been retconned away from being a mutant, so I imagine Marvel has the film rights. She's never really been associated with the X-Men, even when the GLA temporarily became the GLX.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    more colossus pls!

I thought that was probably the biggest surprise of the movie, how fucking awesome Colossus was. They just nailed his combination of power, resolve, and the sort of uncomfortable outdated morality.

He was charming and awesome.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Casanova Frankenstein's posse needed mad booger-sugar to perform at their best. And skull-infused bowling balls aren't cheap.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I kind of regard Mystery Men as a superhero parody movie. I know it isn't in the strictest sense, but it's close enough. And it's brilliant.
    I'd say it's as much a parody of the Superhero movie as Deadpool in that it took generally accepted tropes and played with them in an unexpected and entertaining way.
    Also like Deadpool (and unlike Superhero Movie), Mystery Men was enjoyable to watch.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The unicorn was apparently supposed to be a MyLittlePony toy or just a toy to represent it. Hasbro would probably have a fit about the context it was present in. Also the credits. Though Cartoon Network didn't mind having their Adventure Time IP in a movie with dick jokes and gore so eh.
    more colossus pls!

I thought that was probably the biggest surprise of the movie, how fucking awesome Colossus was. They just nailed his combination of power, resolve, and the sort of uncomfortable outdated morality.

He was charming and awesome.

How was it uncomfortable?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Well everyone around him was trying to kill everyone, and he's all "no killing its bad." There was also the nudity thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I so loved his speech at the end.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Was surprised they actually aimed for an R rating with Deadpool. Not that I'm complaining though.

Wade always seemed PG-13 enough to me once you get past all the limbs flying and him frequently getting decapitated.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

The twins having questionable parentage isn't a change, it's practically part of their powerset. The whole change of them being mutants was itself a retcon, as was them being Magneto's kids. The change probably has more to do with the fact that he's essentially the only "mutant" at the time to be exposed to Terrigen gas, because changing that had absolutely no effect on who held the rights to the characters, but the change did have an impact on Marvel's plans for mutants in the comics.

And Squirrel Girl is a comic that is mostly about taking pointed jabs at the comics themselves. So, yeah, why would they not make jokes about people accusing Marvel of changing characters to fit some imagined legal dispute.

No, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were mutants from the beginning, their first appearances were in Uncanny X-Men as members of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (which is probably the main reason Fox had rights to them). Making Magneto their father was a retcon though (originally they were hinting at the Golden Age superhero the Whizzer and his wife Miss America being their parents). During the early days all the characters were crossing over the whole time though, because the settings was a lot smaller than these days.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Just got back from seeing this with the wife.

11/10 Chimichangas.

Also, I'll never be able to prove it, but
    Sitting in the credits, I was thinking to myself "Man, the best thing would be if they aped the Ferris Bueller post-credits," and then it fucking happened and I lost my shit.

:lol:

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I so loved his speech at the end.

Only because you knew Deadpool's reaction to it as soon as he opened his mouth. Was a good speech, but Deapdool put it over the top.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Was surprised they actually aimed for an R rating with Deadpool. Not that I'm complaining though.

Wade always seemed PG-13 enough to me once you get past all the limbs flying and him frequently getting decapitated.

I hear Debbie Does Dallas is pretty PG-13 if you take out all the fucking.

• Options

That's not... I mean sure that synchs up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Just got back from seeing this with the wife.

11/10 Chimichangas.

Also, I'll never be able to prove it, but
    Sitting in the credits, I was thinking to myself "Man, the best thing would be if they aped the Ferris Bueller post-credits," and then it fucking happened and I lost my shit.

:lol:
    I actually didn't fully get it until the chkahchkaaaaa at the end.

• Options

You'd probably have to take out all the cannibalism scenes too.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Fucking is kind of the whole thing there though. You couldn't make that movie on a PG-13 rating, you could probably make a pretty good Deadpool film with one though.

Deadpool can be pretty mainstream/not really all that graphic at times. But I'm glad they went R, with a character this insane and absurd, its nice to have room to go batshit.

Its kind of like The Punisher. Someone could probably figure out a decent PG-13 take but creatively why bother if you have a choice? Its an interesting risk and I'm surprised and impressed Fox took it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    It's going to be interesting to see how this affects Fox's long-term planning. Deadpool 2 is a certainty, and that X-Force movie will definitely be fast tracked now.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    One thing I'm hoping this will do is hopefully Marvel (and I guess DC) not to try to wall off all their more mature properties away from the more mainstream fare.

They're kind of already doing that with Netflix and while those are pretty awesome, always makes me kind of sad that Matt won't be getting another chance on the big screen or that they might have a tough time getting the Kingpin to appear in a Spider-Man cameo becuase they don't want to draw a connection between a kid friendly property and one where a guy impales his face through a spike.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular

That movie is almost 40 years old. How is it still the go-to porn title?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just want Deadpool 2 to be hands off by Fox. If they ask for a 100 million budget, give them 95 and let that be that. Don't try and then demand they shoehorn Dakota Johnson into it, or like, Rebel Wilson, or Aziz Ansari or Miles Teller and make them Deadpool Corps.

Deadpool 2 casting let's keep it spoilers just in case
    You know who would actually be a decent Cable, I think? Brandon Routh. And then that could be twice the lol humor at having two actors of previous poor superhero movies soar like a Phoenix into more cash monies.

• Options
    Madpoet wrote: »

That movie is almost 40 years old. How is it still the go-to porn title?

Its classy yet evokes exactly what you are going for.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I just want Deadpool 2 to be hands off by Fox. If they ask for a 100 million budget, give them 95 and let that be that. Don't try and then demand they shoehorn Dakota Johnson into it, or like, Rebel Wilson, or Aziz Ansari or Miles Teller and make them Deadpool Corps.

Deadpool 2 casting let's keep it spoilers just in case
    You know who would actually be a decent Cable, I think? Brandon Routh. And then that could be twice the lol humor at having two actors of previous poor superhero movies soar like a Phoenix into more cash monies.
    God, I don't think I've seen Routh in anything since Zack and Miri Make a Porno. Although he was excellent in that, even if he was just being the sweet straight-man (most inappropriate term ever, in context) to scene-stealing Justin Long.

But yeah, I love the idea of him being in it at all, regardless of role, just because of what you said.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    One thing I'm hoping this will do is hopefully Marvel (and I guess DC) not to try to wall off all their more mature properties away from the more mainstream fare.

They're kind of already doing that with Netflix and while those are pretty awesome, always makes me kind of sad that Matt won't be getting another chance on the big screen or that they might have a tough time getting the Kingpin to appear in a Spider-Man cameo becuase they don't want to draw a connection between a kid friendly property and one where a guy impales his face through a spike.

My impression is that a lot of Marvel's segregating of their properties is due to inter-departmental politics as well.