As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

1777879808183»

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    gamespot has a new hands on preview of the new Side Order DLC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7BJt2FvCM
    EDIT: new official trailer for the new season starting in March, along with an official overview of Side Order:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDtuR1FyHRo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n4PO7l4tL0

Zavian on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Side Order sounds very roguelike-y.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Side Order sounds very roguelike-y.

it pretty much is a roguelike mode; main thing I like is you can choose difficulty on every level, there's permanent upgrades to unlock, and also you can apparently use reward currency to spend on stuff for the main game

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    If you didn't see it, the latest concert is incredible.
    https://youtu.be/XCMRqJjGsQQ?si=--SCMZ10j4VhMqIg
    And the new costumes? Nintendo, let me buy those as amiibo.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Side Order is out.

It's really good, I think.

You can get really overpowered with the right color chip drops, and you've got incentives to go to a bunch of different weapons on subsequent runs.

Also, I really enjoyed the story, and there's more to uncover after the main story is done.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    And while allegedly there are people out there who got a 30F clear on their first or second try... the game has some real YASD potential. Like if you don't take the "Player" category hacks, allowing any two enemies that aren't the smallfry equivalent to hit you is probably death. So it's plenty difficult.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    And the game allows you to disable upgrades, plus it has a reward system that gets you multiplied rewards for having upgrades turned off. So you can tailor it to be harder if you want.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I just like how Marina has Pearl as her desktop wallpaper. Not very subtle there Nintendo…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    And while allegedly there are people out there who got a 30F clear on their first or second try... the game has some real YASD potential. Like if you don't take the "Player" category hacks, allowing any two enemies that aren't the smallfry equivalent to hit you is probably death. So it's plenty difficult.

I got to 30F on my first run, using the brella, but failed to beat the boss.

• Options
    Much like in multiplayer, I don’t know how to use the brellla effectively.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

For most Brellas (the ones that aren't the Tenta Brella, basically), the canopy is a red herring and you shouldn't give it too much mind. The fact that you can launch the canopy is sold as a feature, but in practice it acts as a second layer of limitation on being able to defend yourself-- not only does holding the canopy open drain ink, but eventually it just flies away on its own. You don't get much damage from the canopy attack, either, so it's an extremely inefficient use of ink. For the vast majority of the time, you want to be treating the Brella as just a pump-action shotgun: get as close as necessary to achieve your optimal damage per shot, and shoot repeatedly.

I've seen expert Brella users read the opponent's shot rhythm to make sure they're flashing the canopy open just before the opponent's shot lands, but that's real top-end stuff and especially for the PvE I think you don't want to be trying to soak enemy attacks anyway.

• Options
    I think the launch is best used as an inking tool and escape route. I’m not sure if the impact damage up chips boost the launched canopy yet but if they do, enough of them could make it a formidable offensive option too since it pierces and most of the generic mooks can be baited into lining up for you easily enough.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

For most Brellas (the ones that aren't the Tenta Brella, basically), the canopy is a red herring and you shouldn't give it too much mind. The fact that you can launch the canopy is sold as a feature, but in practice it acts as a second layer of limitation on being able to defend yourself-- not only does holding the canopy open drain ink, but eventually it just flies away on its own. You don't get much damage from the canopy attack, either, so it's an extremely inefficient use of ink. For the vast majority of the time, you want to be treating the Brella as just a pump-action shotgun: get as close as necessary to achieve your optimal damage per shot, and shoot repeatedly.

I've seen expert Brella users read the opponent's shot rhythm to make sure they're flashing the canopy open just before the opponent's shot lands, but that's real top-end stuff and especially for the PvE I think you don't want to be trying to soak enemy attacks anyway.

Thank you! Playing this way got me a tower clear with Marina's palette.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Damnit. Had a Side Order run with the Brush setup where four of the first five chips I got were Mobile Special Charge (charge special meter by moving around) chips. Absolutely steamrolled the first 29 floors. Then my kids wanted to watch me fight the final boss and I died because I only had one life and he can nuke you even when you’re stamping things.

• Options
    Oh man, brush with mobile special charge and mobile ink refill would be incredible, wouldn’t it?

• Options
    First attempt through with the Bowcaster palette. Cleared the whole bloody thing.

I hate the Bow, so much.

• Options
    Side Order gets real stupid if you work at it.

https://youtu.be/4DUekEQFpOk
    Five chips of Homing Shot (100% shot homing), five chips of Quick Charge (5% normal time), and five chips of Main Range Up (200% normal range) plus enough Main Ink Saver and Splat Ink Recovery means you just pull the trigger and stuff dies as many times as you want.

• Options
    I didn't even realize something that ridiculous was possible. I'm guessing it takes a lot of rerolls to get a targeted build like that.

I haven't played that much Side Order, but I did get my first clear. I did die like 8 times on the final boss, so good thing I had continues.

• Options
    It's easier than it seems for the Charger, since both components of that preposterous setup are in its tone bias (which you can amplify with hacks). But yeah, it sure helps to have reroll costs (both for floors and vending machines) minimized through hacks to pull it off.

• Options
    Did they even hit the floor after dropping from the cage?

• Options
    edited March 9
    Decided to try something silly and only get chips from the Lucky tree. Managed to get 30 before clearing the tower, Tone Chain bonuses get pretty nuts at that level, leading to a total PRLZ gain of about 800. The terror I felt when I looked at one of those “Danger” tags and wondered if would be a No Item Drops level was pretty palpable though.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Fortunately you can turn around and exit the challenge if you think you can't handle it, but it costs the equivalent amount of Membucks as the reward.

• Options
    Fortunately you can turn around and exit the challenge if you think you can't handle it, but it costs the equivalent amount of Membucks as the reward.

Yes, but since I was absolutely pillaging vending machines and using the floor reset pretty liberally to get all Yellows, membucks were scarce.