Options

[DC Movies] Batsgofuckyerself -- we're getting an Affleck-directed Batman flick

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    ryven wrote: »
    it made more than most of the marvel movies aside from avengers 1/2, guardians and TWS i think

It made way less than Iron Man 3, and it made about 30 mill more than Thor 2, but Thor 2 cost 50 mill less to make.

It definitely did better than the pre-Avengers films and Ant-Man.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It also cost a lot more than those movies.

And it sold OK on DVD/Blu-Ray. Better than both Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 but a lot less than Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and even the first Iron Man.

• Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    i forgot about IM3, i burned that movie from my memory

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    It made plenty of money.

It just didn't make Marvel money.

Money wasn't exactly the only problem execs had with it, Marvel films usually aren't that polarizing. IM 3 was, but it broke the billion dollar barrier so that made it less of a big deal than it otherwise would have been - and it was the third movie in a successful franchise not the first.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

That movie was excellent it did something different I will fight you.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

That movie was excellent it did something different I will fight you.

I really liked the message at the end.
    When Tony comes to the realization that he is the superhero, not the suit of armor. When he said "I am Iron Man" in the first film he was saying "Yeah, I'm the guy in the suit." but now he's saying "Iron Man is who I am, the suit is just gear." I thought that was just great.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That whole movie was aces.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Tony infiltrating the complex with stuff he made from a home depot was probably my favorite part of the movie.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    I loved the thing most people seemed to hate, the Mandarin reveal.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    I loved the thing most people seemed to hate, the Mandarin reveal.

I loved the Mandarin's ending on the red carpet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Yeah, it did better than any of Marvel's first attempts with the exception of the Avengers, which was itself really a sequel to every Marvel property running at the time.

I imagine BvS will quite easily clear a Billy. The DCCU is going to be in very good shape as long as Suicide Squad doesn't suck a big one.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    it made more than most of the marvel movies aside from avengers 1/2, guardians and TWS i think

it definitely made more than thor 1, thor 2, ant-man, ironman 1 and 2, cap 1, hulk

It did about equal with thor 2 actually, once you factor in production fee's.

More to the point though it should do better on name recognition alone.

Further, your analogy ignores that aside from Ant-Man (a movie whose production was plagued with problems and a bunch of dirty laundry being aired) every marvel movie released since then has done as well if not better then MoS, and I don't see Civil war or Doc Strange being duds.

• Options
    Mm, saying it should do better is kind of odd. Superman hasn't really been in the public light for nearly a decade. Thor has. People know Thor. Most people know of Superman, but, not a lot has built up around him lately.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mm, saying it should do better is kind of odd. Superman hasn't really been in the public light for nearly a decade. Thor has. People know Thor. Most people know of Superman, but, not a lot has built up around him lately.

That can't be right. If you went to any middle school in America and showed students pictures of Thor and pictures of Superman, you're saying Thor is more recognizable than Superman?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

That can't be right. If you went to any middle school in America and showed students pictures of Thor and pictures of Superman, you're saying Thor is more recognizable than Superman?

Right now?

Yeah I actually have no idea. Quite possibly Thor would win there.

• Options

I'm saying they're equally recognizable now.

Hence why Superman wouldn't necessarily beat him.

Superman was popular in the 80s and 90s because he was in a TON of media. Movies, tv shows, cartoons, comics. What's he in now? A single movie. Occasionally stopping by in some Batman cartoons. A few cartoon direct release movies.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Contemporarily, yeah, thanks to the two Thor centric movies and the two other wildly popular films in which he appears.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    I can't wrap my head around this. Superman is an icon permanently seared into public consciousness.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It is sad that I will have lived in a time where Superman went from tie for #1 most recognizable hero to clear #2.

...gotta go read Action Comics #768 again...

• Options
    I can't wrap my head around this. Superman is an icon permanently seared into public consciousness.

What about:

Scruff, McGruff, Chicago Illinois, 60652

Or

Only you can prevent forest fires!

If it's not in the public eye, people tend to forget about it. You and I know him as the Superhero. My nieces and nephews only know him as the guy Batman fights with.

• Options
    Batman is a more iconic DC Superhero in 2016.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

It's true.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

It's true.

I refuse to believe!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y91HQGz9Z8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMulgxY8GvU

• Options
    *sobs*

• Options
    edited March 2016
    lol you guys realize people who would've watched those cartoons are 30 now, and not in high school

bowen on
  • Options
    lol you guys realize people who would've watched those cartoons are 30 now, and not in high school

*sobs*

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

The thing about Thor2 being on par with MoS feeling weird to me is that Thor 1 felt like the writers had two different idea's for what they wanted to do with their movie but couldn't flesh out either one enough for a feature length film so they did there best to mash them together and then wish the directors and actor's good luck.

And it was a good movie that I quite enjoyed, but a lot of that has to do with how well the actor's were at selling me on the idea of them being gods and how they examined the idea of responsibility for the heir to the throne of Asgard.

After that came Avengers which while certainly making fat stacks of cash and letting him do interesting things wasn't exactly TDK.

By contrast, DC had Just finished up Nolan's trilogy which did insanely well and were marketing the hell out of it.

A rough tie should not have been the result of this comparison.

• Options

I never noticed it before, but young Martha Kent looks just like Lois Lane.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    honestly they should just replay that series on tv... eeeeeerrrryday

• Options
    edited March 2016

Smallville started in 2001, it ended in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JungYQt0T6c

Has a re-ocurring role and large presence on Supergirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtTKnkPTKi0

People don't know Marvel's Thor - which is quite different than Norse Thor and people only know that because of his movies and recent cartoons. And that doesn't discount how WB has had Superman penetrate American and the worldwide culture for decades before that in multiple media. Plus he's been in animated movies lately too, alone and in Justice League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjjxhWwiyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t2GmLQQVuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3F9ASSsHUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donPLB1xaBw

And video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ZA1D3GHOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVa8KYgFoLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcOoCxwJCzY

And he was in Lego Movie.

And he had a re-occuring role in Young Justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--gY2w8D7M

Superman Returns was in 2006. He didn't disappear off the map when the Timm-verse ended.

edit: This is ignoring Superman's merchandise being made and sold around the world.
    Bowen wrote:
    Batman is a more iconic DC Superhero in 2016.

I agree, and Superman's the second most iconic super-hero at DC. Wonder Woman's a distance third.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Even if you're not familiar with the nitty-gritty on the character, the S-shield is absolutely a part of the worldwide culture at this point.

sig.gif
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    you bring up the lego movie and that's actually a perfect example. He was barely part of the supporting cast. Batman was all over that movie.

Popular culture recognition is all about what have you done for me lately. Before MoS, you had Superman Returns, and that wasn't incredibly well received. Compare that to the last batman movies.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Nah, she should be, but I'd wager more folks know Green Lantern and Flash than Wonder Woman.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    you bring up the lego movie and that's actually a perfect example. He was barely part of the supporting cast. Batman was all over that movie.

He was in it, though. They didn't ignore him.
    Popular culture recognition is all about what have you done for me lately. Before MoS, you had Superman Returns, and that wasn't incredibly well received. Compare that to the last batman movies.

He's been in a lot of productions on the video game and animated side when he isn't in movies or have his show at the moment. He has a strong presence despite that, and it's not like he needs it so people know who he is. Super girl itself is an indirect promotion for him and that's on tv every week. And once again this ignores how he has merchandise everywhere.

edit: Batman's in another league now, has been for a while. That isn't proof DC isn't investing in Superman - he's the only one in their IP's who comes close to getting that backing.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    None of those superman roles are critical, important, or relevant to the average consumer.

They're just one offs here and there.

Smallville was kinda-sorta relevant, but became less relevant as the show fatigued in the later seasons (seasons 6+). I'm not saying he's dissappearing, or that he's not important. Direct release movies don't really.. count. I can't just turn on my TV or load up netflix and see Superman.

I'm just saying Thor became just as "in the now" as Big Blue. My nieces and nephews know who thor is. And can rattle off a lot of relevant data points about him and his universe.

The only thing they can tell me about Superman is Krypton(-ite) and Luthor.

So yeah, that's why Man of Steel didn't resonate, he's just kinda... meh, sure, cool, hey look a superman movie... and that was about the end of it as far as anyone was concerned.

I still loved Man of Steel, don't get me wrong.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    None of those superman roles are critical, important, or relevant to the average consumer.

They're just one offs here and there.

Define critical. Those projects keep him in the spotlight continuously, sure it may not be the movies - but he doesn't really need it since he's not obscure and he could not have a movie for 20 years and people would still know the basis about who he is.

edit: Batman gets the same things when he's not in movies.
    Smallville was kinda-sorta relevant, but became less relevant as the show fatigued in the later seasons (seasons 6+). I'm not saying he's dissappearing, or that he's not important. Direct release movies don't really.. count. I can't just turn on my TV or load up netflix and see Superman.

Smallville kept his brand up for another generation. Why don't they count? People watch them. You may not do that but others do, or WB wouldn't keep making them. Clearly they have an audience and they're not stopping. Not everything has to be a big budget movie to get attention, most of Batman's media don't do that either. They're important in that they give the public another thing to watch him on, to remind them about him - which DC has never stopped doing. You can't turn on your tv and load up Netflix and see Batman either.

edit: What about his presence on Young Justice and Supergirl?
    I'm just saying Thor became just as "in the now" as Big Blue. My nieces and nephews know who thor is. And can rattle off a lot of relevant data points about him and his universe.

The only thing they can tell me about Superman is Krypton(-ite) and Luthor.

So yeah, that's why Man of Steel didn't resonate, he's just kinda... meh, sure, cool, hey look a superman movie... and that was about the end of it as far as anyone was concerned.

I still loved Man of Steel, don't get me wrong.

Not anyone, you. Superman didn't lose his fan base, which is far bigger than his comic fanbase, and love from the public when the Reeves movies ended.

edit: How an IP becomes iconic like Batman and Superman isn't simply from the movies in theaters, though it helps. How they do that is by continuously appearing in media in multiple forms again and again - which DC does to both of them. If Superman isn't iconic, neither is Batman and that's false.

edit: For contrast, Mickey Mouse is in less things than either Batman and Superman and he remains iconic.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Superman IV made the public unlove Superman.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    JK Simmons has been cast as Commissioner Gordon in Justice League.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-adds-jk-simmons-873227

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I'm not really going to get in another pissing contest over definitions of words and hyper critical nit picking about what is and is not the minutia to determine "consensus on the public's awareness of superman's mythos".

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    JK Simmons has been cast as Commissioner Gordon in Justice League.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-adds-jk-simmons-873227

I hope he tries to sell them insurance.

kyrcl.png