As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Doesn't he own a mansion right outside Vegas?

I think he got a bit greedier than he needed, especially coming on the back of a loss.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm confused and intrigued to see how this pans out. It just sounds too crazy to be true, but his tweet is right there!

Picture me for a second though, the madness that would ensue, if Connor signed with bellator!

Campy on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    If this is real, I can respect his decision. The guy is a multimillionaire already and set up his family for life.

But damn, I'm still pretty disappointed.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I can't find the story right now, but I read that Dana said if Conor is serious about retirement, then he has to give up the belt. Then Edgar/Aldo will be for the real title, not the interim title.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    From his most recent FB post it seems like Connor read that the UFC had $10 Mill set aside to promote UFC 200 and he decided that he wasn't getting paid enough for promotion and wants that money too.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    noice
    yissssssss

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    His statement is hilarious. Really comes off like he's scared.

I'm proud of the Diazes for once again being the heroes this "sport" needs

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    My default stance is always going to be: fuck Dana White. He's human garbage.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Would the human garbage part, make the fucking him part gross?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

Recognizing your failings and working to correct them is not about being scared. He already lost once to Diaz due to not having the gas tank to go deep.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »

Recognizing your failings and working to correct them is not about being scared. He already lost once to Diaz due to not having the gas tank to go deep.

Let me break this down point by point
    I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.
    I can not dance for you this time.
    It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.
    Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.
    He came in with no shit to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.

The whole thing's whiny as hell and not recognizing anything, but these two parts are the whiniest stuff I've ever heard in MMA, and certainly doesn't point out "I gassed out", it's "wahhhh why didn't he have to do all this promotion too" when Nate was a legit late sub who had no real time to train (because he was promoting most of that week) and who Conor thought would be easy. Legitimately even Ronda and Silva didn't go to this well when they lost, and I thought their reactions were as sad as it could get.
    Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.

Nate Diaz def. Conor McGregor (media obligations)
    I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man.

wah
    I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.

You're paid to do both. Just like all fighters in MMA. Just like all fighters in boxing.
    I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.

One sentence in the whole thing that actually might possibly be what you're mentioning, but it still comes off as wahhhh at worst, hypocritical at best because hey, remember when he said that switching gyms was a sign of mental weakness, and that everyone who did so following a loss would be a career loser?

He is a dude who verbally bullies his opponents, and the first time he loses he threatens retirement and then writes a complaint essay on Facebook. He does not have my sympathies, nor does he come off to me as a hero who is calm and unafraid of anything. At best, he's only admitting he needs special treatment no champ in fighting history has had in order to beat someone, which even then still sounds very scared. Either way, like I said, it's hilarious.

• Options
    Yeah...I'm inclined to agree with Sweeney here in the sense that this is a whole lot of whining for no good reason.

I don't think he's scared of Diaz. I don't think he's ducking him. I find that idea to be completely without merit, considering the fact that he was calling out guys like Aldo and Mendes with zero fear. I do think he realizes that he should have taken Nate more seriously, but I don't think that equals being scared.

I do, however, think he was in the wrong in this situation. If he didn't think he was going to be ready to face Nate at 200, he shouldn't have said he would be. If he didn't think he would have time to prepare properly AND do the media obligations that he knew were going to happen, he shouldn't have agreed to the fight. If he didn't like what he was getting paid, he should have figured that out before they started plastering his face all over promotional material.

I respect the fact that he's trying to get what he thinks he's worth out of the company. I wish every fighter had his balls in that regard. But I don't believe this was the way to try and get that money. He bluffed with this whole retirement thing and the UFC called him on it. Even as the golden boy of the company, you can only go so far in screwing with their business.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
  • Options
    If he didn't think he would have time to prepare properly AND do the media obligations that he knew were going to happen, he shouldn't have agreed to the fight.

That's the biggest thing I forgot to mention. Beyond the fact everyone has media obligations as a fighter (seriously, MMA, boxing, whatever, for at least half a century going back to Ali the actual fight has always been half the story of the fight. Nobody watches if it isn't hyped.), if he's anywhere near as smart as everyone claims he is, there is no way he didn't know UFC 200, from the moment it was announced, was going to have a shit ton of ads, publicity, media, and hype around it. Moreso than any other single event since 100. If he didn't want to be part of it, he shouldn't have asked for the fight specifically for that event.

We've known UFC 200 was gonna be a big extravaganza/shitstorm for a full year or so now. I don't buy Conor didn't.

• Options
    haters gon hate

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    I think he knew they were going to happen.

I just think that he thought he was above "the game" so much at this point that he could get away with just showing up to one big presser and be done with it.

But on top of asking for $10 mil and then doing the retirement thing, he pressed his luck too hard.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The gist I got from it was that he started believing his own bullshit and became massively over confident. Combined with the stupid amounts of weight he put on right before the Diaz fight, meant he punched himself out in one and a half rounds.

I think he also forgets that the UFC are more than willing to cut off their nose to spite their face, so will pull his arse from UFC 200 and not even blink.

Fuck, I really hope they figure something out and he gets back on the card. I want to see both of them properly prepared go at it.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Conner just got too greedy and found out he's not the center of the UFC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    damn nunes was swinging her leg as if she was trapped inside a collapsing temple and was trying to kick a lever free that would open the door to her only escape route

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Presser in an hour for 200

UTuNNVQ.png
    Stellar main event, look how evenly matched they are. TBA v TBD: Who Will Win?

ed: Nate basically said he wouldn't fight anyone not Conor at 200, everybody laughed at Conor's dumb tweet, but it mostly seemed really uncomfortable and not helped by the media ridiculously taking Conor's side

I hope they get something worked out with GSP

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Good card top to bottom.

Neat bit of trivia, but the top two (or three?) PPV cards of all time have had Tom Lawlor on them UFC 100 and 196, not sure about the 3rd. By that metric this will not be one of the top cards of all time until they get him on the card.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    :( poor bendo

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    GSP should stay retired

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    :( poor bendo

Dude got worked.

https://streamable.com/c64t

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Well, the size difference was huuuuge.

I guess he thought he could pull off another one like he did against Brandon Thatch, one of my all time favorite fights btw.

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    If Dana doesn't sign the deal I'd actually believe him when he talks that shit about being fair or whatever, because with all the money he'd be losing it'd have to be true.

• Options
    Just noticed that both Pettis brothers are on the card tonight. I thought Anthony saying he didn't want to do that again since he said that on the night he lost the title that he was worried about his brother who lost earlier in the night.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DJ is amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Mighty Mouse has been the stealth GOAT in the UFC for years now

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Has he ever even broken a sweat?

Can't market him.

but damn is he good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Has he ever even broken a sweat?

Can't market him.

but damn is he good.
    He's had a few close calls (split decisions) but mostly dominant.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Meh round 1.

Jones +1

Meh meh.

Jones +2

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    OSP needs to go for it in this round because he wont have any gas left after the 3rd.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Jones +3

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    shitty fights shitty decisions

but

watching joe rogan stare at cormier like he's a moron has been priceless.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jones +4

OSP needs a miracle

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    50-45 Jones in a mediocre fight

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    Jones looked terrible tonight. DC would have ended him in this condition.