Options

[Destiny] Patch 2.2.0: "Wear What You Want, Yeeesss?" - Variks, the Fashionable

• Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Sirialis wrote: »

That said, Zhalo is my favorite gun in The Taken King, I just wish it was great for PvP. (and more useful in the raid)

Zhalo Supercell is an A-Tier weapon. Even before the great pulse rifle nerf, it was a dangerous option (Along with the Arminius-D and DoP) for close range encounters in the crucible.

The tracers are half as effective, and twice as reliable as a flashbang. Combined with its high range and stability, it has always been a good choice for the Crucible.

Booker on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's this mentality that you have to run the most effective guns, that was never really the case. In PvP people trend towards lowest TTK so those weapons are always more popular. You could totes use other guns and make them work, but the average person who comes here (or Reddit etc) trend towards the same handful of guns.
    I like messing with guns, and finding out it's something I like or can use effectively. Like, when Doctrine first dropped for me I scrapped it instantly, because I usually dislike ARs. After some word of mouth (and people killed me with it) I gave it a shot and really liked it. Alot of Destiny's appeal is how many unique, cool guns there are, and finding ones that suit you.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Someone please tell me how to be a striker in PvP. Seriously, just had two of the worst games I've ever played, one I went 5 and fuckin' 13.
    Lightning grenade is good, but I can't get close enough to anybody to use my melee due to how goddamn dominant scout rifles and snipers are right now, and if somehow I can get close enough to super, I can only ever get one (or none, if they blink).
    Please help me stop tearing my controller apart.

Also consider for a moment that as a Striker your super is the ultimate "NO" button.

Rez warlock? Smash.
    Stormcaller? Smash.
    Bladedancer? Smash.
    Hammer Titan? Smash.

I've seen Titans with unstoppable tank Golden Gun bullets. You are EXTREMELY survivable when you super, and you can use this to preserve momentum, save your Heavy ammo, etc.

Striker melee is crap, I like to use the perk that regens your super faster on kill with it, but you are forever limited by your dinosaur arms.

I'll agree with all of the above people recommending that you plant lightning grenades on walls, it requires a bit of tactical thinking to learn where is a good spot to place them, but their range is absurd, it's especially useful to catch enemies in long hallways with a wall grenade with the bolt pointed down the hall. I find my results are best when the wall is roughly perpendicular to me, or at least somewhat flat.

I'll likewise agree with everything else people have said about shoulder charge, DfA, Shockwave, etc.

Anyways, it's been a while since I've played so I think I'm going to hop on and see how things go.

Edit: Anyone who wants to join me on Xbone is welcome.

ElementWrath on
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Watching all the Destiny Lore videos from Myelin Games just makes me regret that Bungie fucked up actually including any of the lore in the game or story so badly. Seriously, there's so much lore, and it's all in text cards.

What's rule number 1 of storytelling kids?

SHOW DON'T TELL!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Watching all the Destiny Lore videos from Myelin Games just makes me regret that Bungie fucked up actually including any of the lore in the game or story so badly. Seriously, there's so much lore, and it's all in text cards.

What's rule number 1 of storytelling kids?

SHOW DON'T TELL!
    decided to pop over to that channel to see what it had and
    sddefault.webp
    now I can't stop laughing

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Getting real fucking tired of performing better than average then losing on the thinnest margins because a dude drops out mid match when we're down and the new guy in can't find a rhythm because he got dropped in before the heavy spawns.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Got a Suros Regime from my weekly bounties, thanks Shaxx that actually kind of makes up for the pair of ghosts I got on my other characters.
    Saladin, on the other hand, has been a right prick with my level 5 package containing a class item and a ghost of middling light levels so I guess it evens out.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Okay so I had inlined an image in that last post but Element sent me this
    957d1ed331.png
    Did it not inline properly for anyone else? I cleared my cache and it still inlined fine for me.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Okay so I had inlined an image in that last post but Element sent me this
    957d1ed331.png
    Did it not inline properly for anyone else? I cleared my cache and it still inlined fine for me.

I can't see it.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I can see it just fine.

• Options
    Hm. It was a weird image type, maybe that's it? Lessee if reuploading it as a jpg works. And, if the problem was the site, well, here's it reuploaded.
    cryak06d3k5z.jpg

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    No dice, sucka.

6kc3jd9chf8w.png

Nosf on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Hm. It was a weird image type, maybe that's it? Lessee if reuploading it as a jpg works. And, if the problem was the site, well, here's it reuploaded.
    *snip*

worked for me, both times
    Nosf wrote: »
    No dice, sucka.

6kc3jd9chf8w.png

10/10
    And now, I have 2 hours to grind for the last 7 coins I need to buy Truth

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    No dice, sucka.
    So, uh
    I kinda feel the need to confirm
    with most image types, changing the .whatever at the end to a different image type will convert the file to that format, right
    because stopping to think about it here it seems entirely possible to me that I always just assumed it did that but it does not actually do that

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Booker wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »

That said, Zhalo is my favorite gun in The Taken King, I just wish it was great for PvP. (and more useful in the raid)

Zhalo Supercell is an A-Tier weapon. Even before the great pulse rifle nerf, it was a dangerous option (Along with the Arminius-D and DoP) for close range encounters in the crucible.

The tracers are half as effective, and twice as reliable as a flashbang. Combined with its high range and stability, it has always been a good choice for the Crucible.

As you say, its good, which doesnt mean great as I said. (S tier is great) I admit that I havent used it in PvP since the Pulse RIfle nerf though.

Zhalo seems to have either high range or high stability, not both at once. (unless you call its normal/hammerforged range good, I use Rifled Barrel in PvE)

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Had some stellar games in IB tonight with the crew. Last game I am pretty sure we denied their heavy three times.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    No dice, sucka.

6kc3jd9chf8w.png

Oh god. That's great.

Those stupid strike lines are etched into my fucking brain, so this provides nice relief.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Had some stellar games in IB tonight with the crew. Last game I am pretty sure we denied their heavy three times.

Yep, it was a lot of fun. I got a 15-kill spree, 5+ kdr, and a 5-kill spree right in that last match!

• Options
    Hoooly crap.
    Just spent the last hour and a half trying to get 5 coins. Ran the nightfall, got a bad helmet, no engrams gave me coins. Ran the vanguard bounties on Venus patrol, a ton of patrol missions and taken events later, 9 engrams and a Vanguard package. No coins. Hit Vanguard, got my 4 coins, then remembered that level ups gave coins. I dashed to FWC, dumped a ton of motes on them to hit level 20-something, ranked up to get the last coins I needed, a good pair of PVP gloves, AND THE CLIMB MY FIRST FACTION SHIP
    Ran to Xur, slid into him, bought T R U T H with about 4 minutes to spare. Close one, but it worked out in the end!

• Options
    So with my new good luck I decided to go back to Iron Banner and maybe finish one bounty
    Nope, game told me to eat shit. First game on Widow's Court is a sniper fest, second game is on Vertigo where we lead up until 2nd heavy, then the enemy team grabs both and precedes to rip us apart with seemingly infinite heavy and constant supers for the next 5 minutes.
    Fuck this gaaaaaaaaaaaame

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    it's mostly machine guns. They have too much ammo on certain archetypes. with truth you have about 4 rounds that on average is only going to kill a person with each rocket. as opposed to Thunderlord, assuming I'm wearing my ammo boots that's 90 bullets. It takes 4 bullets to kill your average guardian whether it is headshots or body shots. If every bullet connects with your targets, not accounting for damage reduction on the target during supers that's a theoretical 22 bodies lined up for the taking with two bullets to spare.

The trick though, is surviving long enough to get the most use of it. The first 15 seconds of heavy spawn is opt in orbital bombardment that there's no guarantee you're going to survive. It's rare that I'll get the most out of a machine gun ammo pickup like that but on average I can maybe score between 5-10 kills off one heavy pickup.

I've only seen that kind of ammo longevity from the raid MG and Thunderlord

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Hoooly crap.
    Just spent the last hour and a half trying to get 5 coins. Ran the nightfall, got a bad helmet, no engrams gave me coins. Ran the vanguard bounties on Venus patrol, a ton of patrol missions and taken events later, 9 engrams and a Vanguard package. No coins. Hit Vanguard, got my 4 coins, then remembered that level ups gave coins. I dashed to FWC, dumped a ton of motes on them to hit level 20-something, ranked up to get the last coins I needed, a good pair of PVP gloves, AND THE CLIMB MY FIRST FACTION SHIP
    Ran to Xur, slid into him, bought T R U T H with about 4 minutes to spare. Close one, but it worked out in the end!

Prison of Elders is a good place to get coins.

If you raid regularly, make sure to grab the "Kill 100 Taken" bounty from Petra each week for a key.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    it's mostly machine guns. They have too much ammo on certain archetypes. with truth you have about 4 rounds that on average is only going to kill a person with each rocket. as opposed to Thunderlord, assuming I'm wearing my ammo boots that's 90 bullets. It takes 4 bullets to kill your average guardian whether it is headshots or body shots. If every bullet connects with your targets, not accounting for damage reduction on the target during supers that's a theoretical 22 bodies lined up for the taking with two bullets to spare.

The trick though, is surviving long enough to get the most use of it. The first 15 seconds of heavy spawn is opt in orbital bombardment that there's no guarantee you're going to survive. It's rare that I'll get the most out of a machine gun ammo pickup like that but on average I can maybe score between 5-10 kills off one heavy pickup.

I've only seen that kind of ammo longevity from the raid MG and Thunderlord

For a long time I exclusively used my H&H Smolder, but this IB I finally forced myself to try using my Unseeing Eye... turns out it's pretty good.

My best round so far netted me 9 kills, but immediately after the heavy pickup I basically hid until the sounds of mass explosions let up a bit. From there it was me exchanging with enemies stuck using their primaries.

...Makes me want one of those Quilims Terminus even more... (I get killed by that thing so effing often).

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    For the collectors out there, Eva Levante is currently selling two rare emblems.... Sigil of Seven and Echo of Shattered Suns.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    You all should jump on PS4 and keep me some company while killing dudes for the Irrevocable Banana today!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular

It was a grand time. Got an Unbroken medal, and got my hunter alt from Rank 2 to 4.5 while having a lot of fun. Thanks for the invite!
    Glad to hear Weylorans is also nice. May mix up the meta a bit.

• Options
    Yeah I am really digging the Weylorans that dropped for me. It has insanely good stability, plus those explosive rounds are a fun bonus if you only manage a bodyshot. Mine also rolled Triple Tap and Hotswap which is nice, though I would rather have better perks in my middle slot.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    No dice, sucka.
    So, uh
    with most image types, changing the .whatever at the end to a different image type will convert the file to that format, right
    because stopping to think about it here it seems entirely possible to me that I always just assumed it did that but it does not actually do that

It totally does not do that.

• Options
    Are explosive rounds of any benefit in pvp? Like outside of your target happening to be near another player? I assume they don't do more damage than regular rounds if the same weapon had rolled without them.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I'm gonna play some not-serious Iron Banner for awhile is anyone wants in.

I want to give the sniper rifle a go, but I don't have the marks for it.

So I'm gonna spam matches.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    So I hit 40 on my first guardian (warlock) and am having a blast just doing stuff and shooting some aliens. Sitting at about 257 light at the moment. I haven't seen a scout rifle since lvl 25 or so. Is there a vendor one I can buy somewhere that's worth using? ARs and pulse rifles are ok and all but the scout rifle feels the closest to the DMR from Halo and that was my frickin jam.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »
    So I hit 40 on my first guardian (warlock) and am having a blast just doing stuff and shooting some aliens. Sitting at about 257 light at the moment. I haven't seen a scout rifle since lvl 25 or so. Is there a vendor one I can buy somewhere that's worth using? ARs and pulse rifles are ok and all but the scout rifle feels the closest to the DMR from Halo and that was my frickin jam.

Hung Jury from Dead Orbit is pretty great for a vendor purchase.

Gotta be rank 3 with them to buy it.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

As a warlock, if you hit rank 3 with the gunsmith you will get an exotic scout rifle.

I believe the scout rifle from the Dead Orbit faction (the emo chap near the ship vendor, opposite the robot vanguard weapon vendor) is one of the best scout rifles you can get but you need to be rank 2 with that faction.

Cross you fingers you see a mida drop (another exotic scout rifle).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Sweet. I can work twords the dead orbit rep while hoping the exotic drops. Though, if I have an exotic scout rifle I have to give up my sword for it, since you can only have one exotic weapon equipped at a time? That's a tough call.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Sweet. I can work twords the dead orbit rep while hoping the exotic drops. Though, if I have an exotic scout rifle I have to give up my sword for it, since you can only have one exotic weapon equipped at a time? That's a tough call.

Exotics are yellow and legendaries are purple.

I say this because if you have an exotic sword already at 250 light level I'm incredibly impressed.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    No dice, sucka.
    So, uh

It totally does not do that.
    welp, that explains that then
    okay so plan c
    6u3occxk48dm.jpg

• Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Exotics are yellow and legendaries are purple.

I say this because if you have an exotic sword already at 250 light level I'm incredibly impressed.

I figure by the time I can get either of the two scout rifles, I'll have finished the 2nd part of this sword quest.

• Options

You can also trade mats/motes/ammo synths for faction rep with the three factions in the tower... the mats they take changes weekly I believe.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    You can also pick up a legendary sword from Lord Shaxx.

@Khraul Explosive rounds are cool, they deal equal damage, but half the base damage is dealt as an AoE. So in addition to screen shake, you can hit targets for light damage behind cover.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I thought Explosive Rounds hit the person for base damage, but then the same person would also take some additional damage from the explosion?

Also @Konphujun I am a fan of Not Like The Others, the scout rifle you can buy from the Vanguard Quartermaster robot in the hangar area

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL