As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, same. I was just thinking that for someone whose head was in the right place, hearing that might have clued them in early.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I actually did a pvp match. I don't think I will be doing 19 more of them just to get Pierce though. It's as hilariously awful as gear-based mmo pvp always is. Other players kill me in seconds, my attacks literally do nothing to anyone. It's just bad.

• Options
    OK I have a KotFE question.

I completed chapter 9 and haven't started chapter 10 (anarchy in paradise). There is --- a colossal metric fuckton --- of alerts on my list. Companions out the wazoo, all the Star Fortress stuff. Should I do all these before I proceed with chapter 10, and will it affect the story if I don't?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Well the Companions, as far as I know, can be done at your leisure. Not sure if the Star Fortress stuff gets referenced within the post-Ch9 story though.

• Options
    Hmm. Met
    Xalek.

Killed Xalek. I never liked him with my Inquisitor, but hadn't planned to kill him going in, but then he slaughtered a bunch of miners over a misunderstanding because of course sith can't ever just communicate with people through the conventional means. Also the whole "I had to murder them because my religion" excuse is something I'm just fucking completely over. Get a better fucking religion. Oh wait, you can't because you're dead fuck you.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Well the Companions, as far as I know, can be done at your leisure. Not sure if the Star Fortress stuff gets referenced within the post-Ch9 story though.

As far as I've seen, no mention of Star Fortresses in chapters 10-12.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Good to know, thanks guys. I'll get around to doing the SF recruitment stuff but I don't want to marathon it.

-edit-

Oh, and something about Koth rubs me the wrong way. I dislike him.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    He's too whiny. And his hero worship of the emperor is nonsensical.

"You don't know him like I do!"

"...I saw him eat a world. It's on record. I guess that doesn't count?"

Orca on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I only just realized he sounds vaguely like someone in an abusive relationship.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

To be fair, it was kinda a garbage world.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Sure he murdered billions of people but hey he was always decent to us!

Then he acts like he owns THAT ship.

I wish there were a light-side option to get rid of him.

• Options
    I can get where Koth is coming from. All his life he's known the Emperor as Valkorian whom from a distance seemed to be a pretty cool dude, keeping the trains running and all that. Then people off-world come and go 'no no, he's quite evil, ate worlds, stole candy from babies, etc, etc'. It's easy for us to think Koth's is an idiot because we've seen the Emperor at work but Koth hasn't. He's seen Valkorian. He's seen the brave sheep-dog keeping his flock of lambs safe from the rest of the harsh outside world, not the hungry wolf hiding underneath.

• Options
    I would be happy to buy him a one-way ticket to Ziost.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I can get where Koth is coming from. All his life he's known the Emperor as Valkorian whom from a distance seemed to be a pretty cool dude, keeping the trains running and all that. Then people off-world come and go 'no no, he's quite evil, ate worlds, stole candy from babies, etc, etc'. It's easy for us to think Koth's is an idiot because we've seen the Emperor at work but Koth hasn't. He's seen Valkorian. He's seen the brave sheep-dog keeping his flock of lambs safe from the rest of the harsh outside world, not the hungry wolf hiding underneath.

For me it's more that he ostensibly wants to overthrow Arcann but he balks at violence and collateral damage.

Sorry bro, there's no such thing as a sanitary morally tidy overthrow of a militarily powerful government. Get dirty or GTFO.

(He's the guy who would start complaining that blowing up a Death Star would kill all the people on it. ie: a delusional nerd)

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Well, chapter XIII was excellent. My favorite of the newest chapters by far and feels like a return to the first IX. Probably the best banter in the entire expac too.

On to try the new mode

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Whelp, so much for feeling special on my Agent in his full RD-07A Vendetta outfit.

They're now available from the adaptive gear vendor for common data crystals. (This is both a PSA and a selfish whine). For those unfamiliar it's similar if not the same as the Scalene gear from the gree, with an imperial color scheme, no glow, and possibly a better head slot (IMO it's much better but opinions on TOR headgear being what they are).

They added other stuff to the vendor to with this patch, but the Vendetta set is the standout IMO.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    They're making some of the vintage sets available again? Hopefully that means the Colossus helmet will finally be getting a version where you can slap it on companions.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    They're making some of the vintage sets available again? Hopefully that means the Colossus helmet will finally be getting a version where you can slap it on companions.

I believe this is a complete visual list of the current list of sets you can buy now from the guy on the Fleets that used to sell just the starter adaptive sets next to the tutorial-planet and capital-planet vendors.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Aha, it's on there. So are they still classlocked? That was why I couldn't slap one on a companion before.

Also, are the servers being fiddly? Firing up the launcher and it's not talking to the update servers, gives me an error 308.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Aha, it's on there. So are they still classlocked? That was why I couldn't slap one on a companion before.

Also, are the servers being fiddly? Firing up the launcher and it's not talking to the update servers, gives me an error 308.

They are not class locked, and are legacy bound and DO NOT change appearance when mailed cross-faction. Merry Christmas!

• Options
    I just realized that if they ever made a live-action adaptation of The Old Republic, Gault should be played by Wentworth Miller.

• Options
    There we go, 'solved' my issue of the launcher not patching by nuking my install to the ground and starting over. Time to figure out how hard my settings got goosed by doing that, though I'm pretty sure those are stored outside the install directory.

• Options
    They really could have skipped the C2-N2 and 2V-R8 "customizations" (very loose use of the term here, it's more like "some yellow or black spray-paint hastily applied randomly).

I can't imagine anyone wanted these or will use them.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    There we go, 'solved' my issue of the launcher not patching by nuking my install to the ground and starting over. Time to figure out how hard my settings got goosed by doing that, though I'm pretty sure those are stored outside the install directory.

Yeah I fixed the error by shutting down the launcher and restarting over and over again. It finally went around the fourth try.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    How about a HK-55 inspired Koth customization?

As in he has been shot in the chest multiple times by HK-55.

• Options
    I'm really lukewarm on stat-genericization but I am very pro-whatever you call what they did with armor making it all adaptive and not class locked and otherwise just more usable. Coupled with the new outfit system it's a paper doll extravaganza that I am only occasionally able to pull myself away from to actually play the actual parts of the game which are frequently less interesting than hovering around the GTN playing dress-up.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Making alts to dress up is the new way of playing the game.

• Options
    So despite my hating pvp I decided to slog through the Pierce recruitment quest. It's been ugly. Nine matches so far, only 2 wins. I absolutely hate that Odessen map that was mentioned in the patch notes as "incorrectly spawning too often" translation being every motherfucking time. Coincidentally my two wins have been on maps that are not that map.

But this last match was that bomb one where you try to break through to the other teams datacore and play one round of offense and one round of defense and we actually won. The attacking round I don't know that I actually did much, I attacked stuff. Mostly ineffectually. But when we played defense I actually accomplished something, I was guarding one terminal with a mercenary who I used guard on and she was healing me and I interrupted dozens of times people trying to use the console and didn't die once (because the merc was healing me). The two of us utterly shut down that side and that was pretty great. Also I got one MVP vote, probably from that merc because she was the only one on my team in a position to see what I was doing.

So, PVP is still terrible but occasionally you win by accident and luck into actually doing what the game wants you to do and it is not bad.

That Odessan map can still diaff though.

• Options
    So, played through chapter 13 as my "canon Outlander" (Jedi Knight), Bounty Hunter, and Sith Warrior (who had romanced Vette).

I thought it was really solid.
    I'm not sure a very serious cliffhanger is the best spot to put a comedy-heavy heist episode, but I still enjoyed it. Yet more of the "stealth lol fuckyou" stuff, which I noticed even while not playing a stealth class, but aside from that the combat was fine. Vette was very happy to see the Warrior, so that was nice. I laughed when I tried to go for the poetic romantic talk and she shut him up by jumping him. Gault was Gault, although apparently his relationship with Hylo isn't quite as bad as she hinted when you meet her in Chapter 9.

And then that ending hit. Comedy heist episode over.

They said that previous decisions would finally start to take real effect starting with Chapter XIII, and they weren't kidding. Now the actual story part is still railroaded, but you can actually do things to characters besides Koth. All of my characters made the decision to send in the other team as backup when their primary failed, regardless of which it was, because they're not twits--and I'm hoping that playing an Agent or Trooper gets you extra dialog when they get back--but apparently if you didn't (because you were a twit, or you just wanted to see what would happen), Kaliyo/Jorgan disobeyed and went in anyway.

Then you have the option to either exile or kill the person who disobeyed.

Yup, Jorgan can die. That was spoiled for me in chat. And, theoretically, that means Kaliyo could too, though I didn't see anyone saying that could happen.

And on top of that at least four of Jorgan's squaddies bite it regardless. But he had a full team, so we don't know who made it out yet. I'm curious if we'll see them ever again.

And then the title of chapter 14: Mandalore the Avenger.

Could it be Torian is the first Mando I wholeheartedly and unreservedly cheer?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I did the Eternal Championship a bit and it was pretty fun, but there were some bugs with it. Don't really know what niche it's supposed to fill, though.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I did the Eternal Championship a bit and it was pretty fun, but there were some bugs with it. Don't really know what niche it's supposed to fill, though.

It's a fun nostalgia trip for those who played KOTOR I. They even name you the Mysterious Stranger, ha ha.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular

Teaching raid mechanics to solo/new players in an effort to get them comfortable with said mechanics, I think. Throwback to Kotor and a teaching tool.

For me, it's just a way to get more decorations!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »

Teaching raid mechanics to solo/new players in an effort to get them comfortable with said mechanics, I think. Throwback to Kotor and a teaching tool.

For me, it's just a way to get more decorations!

Yeah I figured it was either some kind of analogue to proving grounds or brawlers guild

• Options
    edited May 2016
    The newest SWTOR Livestream occurred. Here's the Youtube video for it.

https://youtu.be/zwMLIXJF7gw

They also showed some concept art for the next chapter and I think you may have been wrong on your guess, Shadowen.
    Jfr2xwy.jpg

Looks like 'The Avenger' isn't Torian.

As for who's recruitable outside the chapter...
    ...so far, they've only listed Broonmark who's off on another revenge run.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    That looks like
    Shae Vizla
    maybe?

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    That looks like
    Shae Vizla
    maybe?
    Pretty sure that's her, yeah. Don't think the players have run across that many red-headed Mandos with enough seniority and fame to ascend into the leader role without a hassle.

• Options
    It mentions who is in the next chapter if you read the synopsis after finishing chapter 13

• Options