Options

[chat]ing in the 90's

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Alright [chat], I need another name for my new line of launch vehicles.

The first line was the Copenhagen (the horse, not the city), a sounding rocket architecture that eventually was configured to reach altitudes as high as 950km. I'm in the midst of crafting an imgur album recap of its service life.

The second line was the Horn (courtesy of VH, named after a narwhal's protuberance), a three-to-four-stage ballistic rocket that managed to place our first satellite into Low Earth Orbit on its second launch. However, the control system proved incredibly unreliable, and so it lived out the remainder of its service life as an eminently capable sounding rocket, reaching altitudes of over 4000km.

Now I'm in the midst of designing our first purpose-built orbital launcher, featuring new engines and avionic technology. It's a three stage launcher which, due to launchpad restrictions, must remain under 40 tonnes, so it is unlikely it'll ever achieve launches beyond Low Earth Orbit. Still, I'm pretty excited about this newest vehicle, and it needs an appropriate name!

call it Butt

Titan Butt

Hyper Butt

SpaceButt X

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    Also @Hakkekage

fire emblem family spoilers only read if you actually want to be spoiled
    surprise you aren't actually related to either set of siblings

your mom who died in Ch. 5 was the 2nd wife of the Hoshidan emperor who died when you were kidnapped, your 4 siblings are from his first marriage

i mean, you have pointy ears and can turn into a fucking dragon when none of your other siblings can do that is it really a surprise

I feel like the giant "S Rank Support Option" spoiled that pretty well

Never stopped them before.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    credeiki wrote: »
    I also didn't build the awc for a while (looked around for how to increase squad size, rushed guerilla tactics center immediately; was not disappointed.
    ..I do not understand this medic hate at all. They do fine dps with their rifles and perhaps with their WAR suit+heavy weapon, and they are completely vital for the way I play, which is not cautiously.

..look, there's a turn counter and also I get bored sneaking forward, so every mission someone is going to take a double move and get shot a million times by the revealed enemies. A support will keep them from dying. Also top tier medic skill is great for clearing every status effect+heals for everyone.

I don't care that all my dudes get wounded; I just have a deep roster. Even before the AWC where they were getting wounded for like 30 days.

I wonder how sustainable my strategy will be on impossible. But not sure whether my next run will be impossible or ironman commander (current one is savescum commander).

A lot of it is I'm playing on Commander (the 2/4 difficulty) until some bugs are patched and I learn the research tree, and I'm savescumming pretty hard. Once I start playing for real maybe I'll get some more use out of them - I've never built a WAR suit yet so maybe that alleviates some of the missing DPS right there.

You're certainly not playing it wrong, it's just....grenades! THOOMP THOOMP THOOMP

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how much it matters, but it is his 18th birthday.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CloudBanger 9

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    psi operatives make me wish pillars of eternity had this game's combat system

or really any fantasy rpg, I want baldur's gate with x-com 2's engine

divinity original sin says hello with it's 90%+++++ ratings

also hilarious and well written

summon an oil slick and drop a fireball on it or better yet electrify some steam or water on the ground

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    Talking of the 90s.

First confirmed case of PrEP failing.

Wonder if this is going to signal a change to the dangerous habits that have formed in parts of the gay community towards protection that have developed in the last ten years. Like I know a few people who regularly hook up online and don't use protection, and I'm just left there thinking 'what the fuck'.

I doubt anything will change

• Options
    MoonFucker

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    TL DR wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Just groovin away at my desk.

This isn't how it's supposed to be.

LEMME ON THE DANCE FLOOR.

It's not even Friday..

I know right? I keep feeling like it's Friday.

The woorrrssssttt.

Our wedding is gonna have a ballin dance floor and TL is gonna be our DJ.

Sound good?

Not poldy?

They can collab.

I haven't really heard poodles stuff.

But TL always has the best links and when I listened to his little set thing that he was doing online it was rad as fuck.

So I trust him.

podly is doubtless a better DJ than I am, has more refined taste, has actual musical ability and IIRC can play a few instruments

i just benefit from being into basic-enough shit that normal non-technos can also enjoy it

Sometimes you don't need refined taste.

You just need to shake your booty on the dance floor.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    why do people who get married insist on changing their last names

couldn't they think of the poor guy who has to take 30 seconds to submit a ticket to get their e-mail address changed
    override: yet another victim of the patriarchy

*replies to e-mail change request with five page lecture about the patriarchy*

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    DID SOMEBODY SAY 90s?

https://youtu.be/CeV8Zv4yQig

Not a popular band, but the video couldn't be more 90s if it had Parker Posie wearing a hyper color t shirt in it.

Also, it was a prescient warning about the dangers of hipster gentrification

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

It's not even Friday..

The woorrrssssttt.

Sound good?

Not poldy?

They can collab.

But TL always has the best links and when I listened to his little set thing that he was doing online it was rad as fuck.

So I trust him.

podly is doubtless a better DJ than I am, has more refined taste, has actual musical ability and IIRC can play a few instruments

i just benefit from being into basic-enough shit that normal non-technos can also enjoy it

You just need to a shake your booty on the dance floor.

But

The knife

• Options
    edited February 2016

summon an oil slick and drop a fireball on it or better yet electrify some steam or water on the ground

ehh well agree to disagree about well written, I didn't think the plot was very good at all (though it was enjoyable)

the voice acting ranges from hilarious to good

but the combat system is definitely great, it's spectacularly broken as any combat system involving wizards should be

override367 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I am not sure why but Divinity drove me insane.

I played like 15 hours but never felt like I got anywhere.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

It's not even Friday..

The woorrrssssttt.

Sound good?

Not poldy?

They can collab.

So I trust him.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZojAwfEbs&feature=youtu.be

Also, I can't believe I watched the whole thing. I mean, I can - Colbert is incredible and a really great communicator, I wonder if he came up with the trampoline analogy on the spot.

SCIENCEEEEEEEE

That was awesome!

• Options
    Narwhal I demand a spot in the Marketing and Mission Name Department

With the combined strength of my Degree in English and Juvenile Mind you can't lose.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

it's probably because the game is so frontloaded around Cyseal

it takes a loooooooooooooooooooooong time to get to other environments, and then shit speeds up real fast

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Talking of the 90s.

Wonder if this is going to signal a change to the dangerous habits that have formed in parts of the gay community towards protection that have developed in the last ten years. Like I know a few people who regularly hook up online and don't use protection, and I'm just left there thinking 'what the fuck'.

You don't need PrEP failing for this to be a problem.

The one group in the US that hasn't really had a fall incident rates at the same speed as other groups is MSM.

The fall off in protection among the younger MSM is one of the major reasons.

It is something I know HIV folks have been trying to work on here for a while.

What's the thought on why?

I know people have explicitly used PrEP as a reason not to wear protection, along with general ideas of drugs meaning it's no longer a death sentence.

That the horrors of the eighties and nineties are far enough behind us the latest generation just doesn't comprehend the impact it had?

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Damn, almost done with shadowrun Hk.

I really need some more of this in my life. Or to just be a shadowrunner in real life.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

ehh well agree to disagree about well written, I didn't think the plot was very good at all (though it was enjoyable)

but the combat system is definitely great, it's spectacularly broken as any combat system involving wizards should be

Being a wizard is like getting access to the manpages of the cosmos.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I also didn't build the awc for a while (looked around for how to increase squad size, rushed guerilla tactics center immediately; was not disappointed.
    ..I do not understand this medic hate at all. They do fine dps with their rifles and perhaps with their WAR suit+heavy weapon, and they are completely vital for the way I play, which is not cautiously.

..look, there's a turn counter and also I get bored sneaking forward, so every mission someone is going to take a double move and get shot a million times by the revealed enemies. A support will keep them from dying. Also top tier medic skill is great for clearing every status effect+heals for everyone.

I don't care that all my dudes get wounded; I just have a deep roster. Even before the AWC where they were getting wounded for like 30 days.

I wonder how sustainable my strategy will be on impossible. But not sure whether my next run will be impossible or ironman commander (current one is savescum commander).

A lot of it is I'm playing on Commander (the 2/4 difficulty) until some bugs are patched and I learn the research tree, and I'm savescumming pretty hard. Once I start playing for real maybe I'll get some more use out of them - I've never built a WAR suit yet so maybe that alleviates some of the missing DPS right there.

You're certainly not playing it wrong, it's just....grenades! THOOMP THOOMP THOOMP

The 2/4 difficulty is Veteran; 3/4 is commander.

And I do run--in optimal configuration, which seldom happens because people are often wounded--with 2 grenadiers and 2 supports each wearing power armor with a rocket launcher, so we have grenades for days.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »

And god is a very spiteful sysadmin

• Options
    Talking of the 90s.

I doubt anything will change

I agree.

At least not without a massive outreach again.

The shift in HIV from death sentence to treatable disease is one issue. The availability of other options for prevention is another. And the fact a lot of the younger MSM community did not live through watching friends and lovers die horribly to HIV is another part.

I can find it but the break on use of protection is really split by age in this group. Younger use less older use more.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Oh right, also--re: supports, husband apparently runs with 2 supports as well (on veteran difficulty), but he really favors the option where aid protocol gives people overwatch. *shrug*

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It's not even Friday..

The woorrrssssttt.

Sound good?

Not poldy?

They can collab.

So I trust him.

But

The knife

The Knife is quite rad yes.

• Options
    edited February 2016

exactly, there are many points in Divinity where you ask yourself if you're breaking the game by doing something with spells

but that's the point of magic in the first place, and with the free update they did on the higher difficulty the enemies will do infuriating shit too (like cover one of your guys in oil and teleport another one of your guys whos on fire onto the first guy)

I've played through it twice in coop and it was a blast each time

override367 on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
  • Options
    Talking of the 90s.

You don't need PrEP failing for this to be a problem.

The one group in the US that hasn't really had a fall incident rates at the same speed as other groups is MSM.

The fall off in protection among the younger MSM is one of the major reasons.

It is something I know HIV folks have been trying to work on here for a while.

What's the thought on why?

I know people have explicitly used PrEP as a reason not to wear protection, along with general ideas of drugs meaning it's no longer a death sentence.

That the horrors of the eighties and nineties are far enough behind us the latest generation just doesn't comprehend the impact it had?

Yup basically it.

Younger gen has no sense of what HIV was like pre-ART. Also the changes in society around homosexuality and views on the disease also are part of this.

One of the fastest growing populations with HIV are actually African American women in impoverished areas who also have one of the lowest testing rates.

The diseases demos have changed in the US at least. Though MSM still have much higher rates than straight men.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

The g and t thread is a lot of power gamers, thus the endless harping on how trivial the game is due to grenades and mimics

• Options
    I really miss working in the HIV world sometimes.

God it can be frustrating but it is also interesting.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    reading a G&T thread about a game you're enjoying is a good way to stop enjoying it

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Theater was a nice enough experience.

The Phantom guy had a skull staff that shot fire.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Is that canon??

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

it's super sprawling, doesn't tell you where to go and meanders

i totally agree with that assessment but i like it

• Options
    Huh...just was thinking.

How you can tell I worked in a sexual health field.

I say MSM not gay or homosexual.

Just thought about that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

The g and t thread is a lot of power gamers, thus the endless harping on how trivial the game is due to grenades and mimics

i just sigh and am like why don't you just not use mimic beacons then! no one is watching over your shoulder!!!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    CloudBanger 9
    Lando_smooth_operator.jpg
    You rang?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Oh right, also--re: supports, husband apparently runs with 2 supports as well (on veteran difficulty), but he really favors the option where aid protocol gives people overwatch. *shrug*

I like using two specialists. One who is Hackerman, the greatest hacker in the world. And the other is Our Lord Jesus who can raise people from death. Hacking bots I found to be too strong to not have on every mission.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Is that canon??

I don't think it was a cannon, too small.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
This discussion has been closed.