As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Humanity Industry Humanism Humanitarianism and the Incurrence of a Cruelty Debt

BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito EnthusiastPSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
edited February 2016 in Social Entropy++
3652991fe325f62f6d4cc6a54f4eb277b23e0afb.gif
Historical and Projected Global Population Growth from 5000 B.C.E up to 2025

Humans, as a species, enjoy explosive population growth since the dawn of industry. Thanks to humanism, we put our species before all others. Between industry and humanism, we were and are able to overcome our natural limitations and grow at a striking rate to this day, and prosper at that.

As a rule of tumb, life is cruel. Through humanism and industry, humanity has kind of suspended much of that cruelty for its own kind, and deferred it onto other species. We prosper, while they die, or serve us in bondage. Humanitarianism pro-actively combats the cruelty of life, and tries to prevent hardship from striking down the most unfortunate of us. On the surface, it's the predominant moral belief.

I put to you this question. Between Industry and Humanism and Humanitarianism - did and does Humanity incur a Cruelty of Life debt, and eventually, will future generations have to settle that debt to restore balance to our species?

BranniganSepp on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ARE WE CUTTING OFF OUR DICKS OR WHAT

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is this another one of those modest proposals

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    ARE WE CUTTING OFF OUR DICKS OR WHAT

No need to shout. I'll do it for you. Just hold still for a second. *snip*

There. Done. It didn't even hurt. Much.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You see, one will be born that will return balance.

...Midichlorians.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Road trip to Galt's Gulch?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    oh goody, i was worried the robothread wasn't gonna be nuts enough

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Road trip to Galt's Gulch?

Hop in my Chrysler, it's as big as a whale, and it's been converted to run entirely on brow-sweat.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    There is no debt, this world, and any other world we get our hands on, are ours to do as we please, so we can multiply.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    There is no debt, this world, and any other world we get our hands on, are ours to do as we please, so we can multiply.

What happens when our growth as a species bumps at our industrially and scientifically and socially expanded limitations again? When we can no longer suspend the cruelty of life for our own kind anymore, simply because there's not enough to go around? Terms like "Water Scarcity" come to mind.

Will you make sweet potable water where there is none anymore, or not enough to sustain the unfortunate souls living there? For billions and billions of people? At the cost of your own wealth and health and well-being? Probably even at the cost of your own future? Sustaining the unsustainable is like putting a gun to your own head and pulling the trigger. All for your Humanity?

There's already countless millions in need of potable water, and I don't lift a finger. Water availability is one of many bricks in the house of cards we're living in, that's crumbling under the mounting pressure of our evergrowing numbers. The question is not if our current paradigms will collapse, but rather how we will replace them when they do.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Yoomanity

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The planet is completely fucking covered in water. The only reason there is a such thing as water scarcity is because there isn't a compelling market for desalinated sea water, and beverage companies as they exist today are pretty comfortable with the status quo.

The majority of the "crises" that exist in the world today have more to do with lack of human foresight and perceived economic incentive than the supposed "inability" of the planet to sustain human life.

sarukun on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Cube time

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Time paradox?

No.

T I M E P A R A D O X

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    congrats on discovering weed, OP

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh my God. Tear this dude apart.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Man, what if the color for red that I see isn't the same colour for red as what you see

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I love this guy

Come on out, lurkers
    You'll be fine

Trust me

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    sarukun wrote: »
    The planet is completely fucking covered in water. The only reason there is a such thing as water scarcity is because there isn't a compelling market for desalinated sea water, and beverage companies as they exist today are pretty comfortable with the status quo.

The majority of the "crises" that exist in the world today have more to do with lack of human foresight and perceived economic incentive than the supposed "inability" of the planet to sustain human life.

Just because it's theoretically possible, even today, doesn't mean that nobody is dying from a lack of potable water, even today. It's millions, if not billions of people who suffer and even die from a lack of potable water right the fuck now. Just because there is a theoretical solution doesn't mean that it's an actual solution. And that's by no means what I'm asking.

Just to remind you, this is what I am asking...
    I put to you this question. Between Industry and Humanism and Humanitarianism - did and does Humanity incur a Cruelty of Life debt, and eventually, will future generations have to settle that debt to restore balance to our species?

If we do or do not survive is not the question. I'm asking if Humanism and Humanitarianism are sustainable concepts for us as a species or not, and what it means for us if these beliefs fail. As a species we only embrace these ideas on a surface level to begin with, since as you say, nobody needs to suffer and die from a lack of potable water, yet countless people still do. It's not like the peoples of Earth rally to solve this problem indiscriminately and absolutely, on a global scale, no matter the effort.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    they say chewbacca travelled with han solo because of a life debt but i bet he still would even if the life debt was not on the table

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The life debt line is obviously a lie to cover up their forbidden love

• Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    they say chewbacca travelled with han solo because of a life debt but i bet he still would even if the life debt was not on the table

Chewbacca will do literally anything to avoid spending time with his awful family

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the domination of man over animals is an ancient concept that is much older than humanism, which was created to shift the most important part of the world to humans instead of god

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Chewbacca will do literally anything to avoid spending time with his awful family

Further supporting this and Speed Racer, his awful family clearly sets the forbidden interspecies love precedent

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Veidt

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the domination of man over animals is an ancient concept that is much older than humanism, which was created to shift the most important part of the world to humans instead of god

It's most likely a post-hoc rationalization made after human beings made the transition from pack predators to sentient beings.

• Options

It's most likely a post-hoc rationalization made after human beings made the transition from pack predators to sentient beings.

there are certainly societies which place more value on living as a part of nature than something above it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »

250px-Lumpy_400x400.jpg

• Options
    How dank are your nugs, @BranniganSepp

• Options
    How dare you post that at me!!!

• Options
    edited February 2016

there are certainly societies which place more value on living as a part of nature than something above it

The vast majority of those societies live in natural environments that represent millennia of shaping by human action. North America in 1491, for example, was an ecosystem sculpted by human beings through extensive forest clearing (swidden agriculture), elimination of other dangerous predators, and long-scale domestication using both row crops and seeding favorable grasses and trees.

The entire North American continent was just as much a human-created garden as the English Isles. The terrascaping was even more intense in South America.

Our balance with nature admittedly sucks. But we as a species have always maintained that balance by cultivating the world to our needs.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    to honestly answer the question, there is absolutely a crossroads that humanity will come to in the very near future--but the question is, will we be prepared

will we have our nocs at the crossroads

or will it end up with us against us, after the bombs drop, all of us wishing with our terrible smelling last breaths that we HAD those warm fur coats

and we're all going around hissing and kicking at each other and trying to trap rabbits so we can crack their little heads, just like all the Lennies used to do that we used to PROTECT THEM FROM?

i mean, who's gonna survive that shit?

• Options

The vast majority of those societies live in natural environments that represent millennia of shaping by human action. North America in 1491, for example, was an ecosystem sculpted by human beings through extensive forest clearing (swidden agriculture), elimination of other dangerous predators, and long-scale domestication using both row crops and seeding favorable grasses and trees.

The entire North American continent was just as much a human-created garden as the English Isles. The terrascaping was even more intense in South America.

Our balance with nature admittedly sucks. But we as a species have always maintained that balance by cultivating the world to our needs.

even so, that kind of shaping of nature was more harmonious than modern behavior where we just dump shit in the ocean and fuck it

I suppose humanism can contribute somewhat in that some religious thought advocates harmony with god's creation, but there's as much that say humans are god's most special creation and he gave the earth for us to use

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Memes, memes everywhere

• Options
    edited February 2016

even so, that kind of shaping of nature was more harmonious than modern behavior where we just dump shit in the ocean and fuck it

I suppose humanism can contribute somewhat in that some religious thought advocates harmony with god's creation, but there's as much that say humans are god's most special creation and he gave the earth for us to use

There's a good deal of debate about whether it was more harmonious or just less technologically advanced. Swidden agriculture, for example, is actually some nasty shit even in areas where the forests need the occasional fire to thrive. Native Americans frequently had to pick up and move because they had despoiled a region.

I don't think the answer to our current predicament is in the past. We're seriously due for a new Axial Age.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    How dank are your nugs, @BranniganSepp

I've long since become one with the dank nugs. Kinda like Obelix and the Gaul's magic potion. However, I do not actively partake in the nug at this time, though just like Obelix, I do crave its magic still. Why do you ask?

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    These are some holy weed type thought

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Look, if any of those other species just send us a letter asking us to pay our cruelty debt, we will do so. Otherwise we have to assume they like it like this

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    How dank are your nugs, BranniganSepp

I've long since become one with the dank nugs. Kinda like Obelix and the Gaul's magic potion. However, I do not actively partake in the nug at this time, though just like Obelix, I do crave its magic still. Why do you ask?

Are you serious?

It's because the OP is a chain of concepts seemingly arbitrarily strung together followed by an assertion that there will be some return to balance.

It's extremely unclear. No one is even sure what you are really talking about.

That's why the thread is a pile of jokes instead of a real discussion.

What is this thread about? Environmental exploitation destroying the environment? Animal exploitation? Some idea of the folly of charity? The hubris of man? Karma? Gaia? Whether the dichotomy of a balance even applies? Timecube?

Who the fuck knows?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Why does the moon get to be made of cheese when the earth is made of dirt

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Why does the moon get to be made of cheese when the earth is made of dirt

Lizards can't live in cheese

This discussion has been closed.