As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Fates - The best FE character is now recruitable... for a price

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Hmm...with Revelation giving you low level units so late...I actually figured out a really cheesy way to use the DLC maps to get them up to speed pretty quick.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I thought elise and camilla's retainers were better than their counterparts

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...with Revelation giving you low level units so late...I actually figured out a really cheesy way to use the DLC maps to get them up to speed pretty quick.
    Go on...

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Janson wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Go on...

Its isn't like some system thing as much as just taking advantage of the way MyCastle works and how people use it.

1) A lot of folks with high BP tend to have easy siege castles. They also have very powerful units.

2) You don't only get to acquire skills from folks but you can recruit their units for free.

3) So...go to these folks castles and recruit a bunch of their units. 3-4 is usually enough. Try to get a few whose strength is good but not too high. Get a few high strength ones too cause sure.

4) Equip them with the throwing weapons this is important as they can't double. Also give them bronze or iron weapoms for doubling.

5) Now you have a bunch of units who can kill/weaken most of the enemies on the grind map. They can clear the path of greens or weaken golds for weaker units to pick off.

6) As a bonus you can also have your weaker units attack stance with them for the attack boost.

This is best done midgame.

As for healers who can't attack. This is obvious once you notice it.

1) You need Azura and some healing staffs. Sun Festals are best as they are cheap and give good xp.

2) Have Azura and another unit sit in the poison mist and have your healer stand next to Azura.

3) Heal. Sing. Heal.

So yeah...cheesy but so effective.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    up to rev 11
    I feel like Izana was being overdramatic and he's gonna wake up in an hour or two, proclaim it was a miracle, and then order snacks

either way that goof blindsided me

i'm also having problems figuring out which nohrians i'm gonna slot into my team. The only two members of my birthright squad that are still MIA are Hinoka and Azama, and they weren't my absolute favorites... and I'm now using Felicia and Anna, which doesn't leave a lot of room

obviously I gotta fit Benny in there somewhere, and...maybe Elise and Niles? This is difficult.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You're in an interesting position, Day

Generally speaking the Nohrian units at the very least out-perform their Hoshidan counterparts (Oboro vs. Effie is pretty badly one-sided) and a lot of people end up using very few Hoshidans as core members of their Revelations crew because they're just more attached to the Nohrians

But you don't have that, having not played Conquest, (you might not have anyway but right now you definitely don't) so I'm really curious how your final team is going to shape up

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    effie as a spear master would outperform oboro, that's just a matter of spear master being real good. that said effie would take a bunch of grinding to be usable at all in revelations since she's practically wendy level when she joins

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Wyborn wrote: »
    You're in an interesting position, Day

Generally speaking the Nohrian units at the very least out-perform their Hoshidan counterparts (Oboro vs. Effie is pretty badly one-sided) and a lot of people end up using very few Hoshidans as core members of their Revelations crew because they're just more attached to the Nohrians

But you don't have that, having not played Conquest, (you might not have anyway but right now you definitely don't) so I'm really curious how your final team is going to shape up

it's gonna be pretty weird, especially when you take into account my general feelings on a bunch of Nohr units (for example, huge gameplay-based aversion towards axefighters)

Right now I've got...Elise, Leo, Xander, Benny, Niles, Keaton, and uh...Beruka? As the only folks in the running for endgame slots, assuming they're all available. Unless I like them all it's gonna be a Hoshido majority, I think. (edit: also their kids)

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah... of the non-lords on the Hoshido side...

Oboro and Kagero are probably the best, and the main ones you can't just easily switch in a Nohrian for (Oboro for defenses and skills, Kagero for "fuck you you die now" damage).

Saizo, Hana, and Kaden can end up pretty good too, but they aren't on the same level of win button as Oboro and Kagero.

And even with the lords... Sakura and Hinata are passable, Takumi is genuinely stupid (in large part due to his weapon being absurd), and Ryoma is good (but Xander somewhat outclasses him due to being able to take hits).

The Nohrian lords... the worst one is either Camilla or Leo, and they're still both pretty strong (and Camilla's skills make her very usable anyways, +3/-1 to adjacent is power)

I do think the Hoshido kids are somewhat better though. The personal skills of the Nohrian kids are somewhat less interesting... Selkie and Caeldori in particular have wonderful skills. (Though Soleil's is pretty nuts too)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    man camilla is the best unit in the game. the only character with better offense is azura who is azura, and her overall defenses are better than xander because she gets plenty of resist. she also levels faster than a typical promoted unit like felicia and jackob do, but not to the same extent. watching her truck through all those berserkers and generals on chapter 26 was a thing of beauty

• Options
    The weakest Nohrian lord is Leo and even he's pretty good just meh speed.

• Options
    yeah I use him less often than not. dark knight isn't a great class since it makes him so slow and strategist overlaps with elise.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oh nooooo, I've made the wrong choice! It should have been Effie/Bennie, not Effie Leo! Their A rank is so adorable!!

Ah well, keeping that in mind for my Revelations run...

• Options
    Oboro is probably always going to get the nod over Effie for me personally because Effie's model + animation actually cause me physical pain

I realize Nohr is the Trashy Vampire/Fantasy East Europe aesthetic, and largely I'm fine with that, but there's just something that really bugs me when Heavy General Armor and Butts are that closely juxtaposed

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    It's probably better than having to go to the bathroom in your armor, the way historical knights did.

• Options
    Sacred Stones only has like 20 chapters, right?

I'm going into Chapter 13 and my crew is only hitting 14/15 unpromoted, this is getting concerning

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I'm going into Chapter 13 and my crew is only hitting 14/15 unpromoted, this is getting concerning

you won't hit 20/20 without grinding, the game is balanced around this (it's 20+ endgame chapters per route)

a dungeon is unlocked towards the end of the game that makes reaching max level trivial if you feel like going for it, though!

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oh nooooo, I've made the wrong choice! It should have been Effie/Bennie, not Effie Leo! Their A rank is so adorable!!

Leo's so good but his pairings generally aren't as great as they could be (with a few exceptions)

Effie's special in that most of her pairings are fantastic. Effie and Kaze? It's great. Effie and Benny? Get outta town. Effie and Jakob? Take that, Jakob! Effie and Azama? It's magical

Benny's sort of the same way. Benny and Beruka is by far the best pairing Beruka has, and that sort of sets the tone

There's too many pairing combinations to try out in this game...
    Daypigeon wrote: »

you won't hit 20/20 without grinding, the game is balanced around this (it's 20+ endgame chapters per route)

a dungeon is unlocked towards the end of the game that makes reaching max level trivial if you feel like going for it, though!

You're making it sound like a really large part of this game's resources were put into post-game content

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I don't think SS had a ton of resources behind it to begin with. your units won't get any higher than 20/10 in the main story unless they are a rogue/assassin.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Daypigeon wrote: »

You're making it sound like a really large part of this game's resources were put into post-game content

well, I don't think that's accurate?

Sacred Stones is short because where you normally get somewhere from 25-30 chapters, here instead of one route you've got 6 (7?) chapters that are different depending on which character you pick, but both stories end at 20.

some work definitely went into the second dungeon (more than the first!) but it's got reused tilesets and enemies mostly, so I don't think it was a huge drain on anything.

edit: a lot of games end without your characters hitting max level, I don't think that's a signal of anything when you consider where the content actually is centered

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular

I did the same thing in my Conquest run.

My Revs game ended being Hoshidan-heavy, but that's largely because of the kids. Whom I swore not to use, but then did anyway.

• Options
    I thought felicia passing down tomebreaker way early in the game would be interesting but I looked at the kids and the ones that want both tomebreaker and felicia's inheritance is... kana? maybe? and no one else. damn. I bet this works better with jackob

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

Leo's so good but his pairings generally aren't as great as they could be (with a few exceptions)

Effie's special in that most of her pairings are fantastic. Effie and Kaze? It's great. Effie and Benny? Get outta town. Effie and Jakob? Take that, Jakob! Effie and Azama? It's magical

Benny's sort of the same way. Benny and Beruka is by far the best pairing Beruka has, and that sort of sets the tone

There's too many pairing combinations to try out in this game...

pistols at dawn, sirrah

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    The best Beruka support is
    clearly the one with Kaze.

• Options
    Well I killed the boss in Chapter 13 and it turns out that leaves me unable to kill the secondary boss but you know what, that's OK, I was pretty worried about what would happen if that guy stayed on the move and got in range of Artur. And I killed the Warrior with him so it all works out

In any case I'm not willing to od that shit again, I got a 6-stat level up for Seth and another for Tana so this is just going to have to be the way it works. That better-than-even chance for Tethys to die but she ended up dodging Pablo's Bolt is something I can't take for granted either. I'll have to make up the experience somewhere else

Hmmmmmmm I feel like I have no choice but to use Cormag, for the sake of being dramatic when I finally get to Valter

But who the Hell can I drop in his favor? Tethys I guess, even though I like Dancers as a rule

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    tethys for some reason isn't that useful. maybe it's because she joins a lot later and only at level 1, it's like if azura joined on chapter 14.

I like effie and niles because niles starts out trying his thing and effie goes "I WILL CRUSH YOU PUNY MAN"

Jars on
  • Options
    a third of the stones cast have at least one instance of unique boss fight dialogue, maybe more if my memory is more accurate than serenes re: Ephraim ch.9 (which is a big maybe)

I love that level of interaction and sheer hate between the major villains and minor characters on your end, it's great

• Options
    You know what I'm OK with the idea of bringing back Constitution as a stat so long as it wasn't handled on a gender basis. Either make it a by-character modifier applied to a base for the class, or make it for just the class period.

That might be hard to balance in a way that's fun, but

I like the idea of Effie's constitution being like 10 higher than anyone else's

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    So, if I battle in someone else's castle permadeath is turned off? Takumi died, but said he was going to retreat so I finished seizing the castle. When I went home he seems to still be a part of the team, but I want to be sure I'm not continuing in some dark timeline that I've now created.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well I mean Takumi's dead

So how dark can it be?

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Takumi tricks you into thinking he's a huge jerk but he's actually rad

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    There's no dying in My Castle fights. There is for all the DLC if you're playing Classic though!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Joshua.... and now your mom....

You fucked up, kid...

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    did you have him fight Carlyle?

if not:
    Carlyle:
    “You… Could it be?”

Joshua:
    “Carlyle. How did this happen? You taught me how to wield a blade. You of all people…”

Carlyle:
    “You’ve returned. But now…It’s too late. It’s far too late…”
    :(

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    I did. Nice little scene. Hard to take it as seriously now as I might have when I was a teen, because now I look at Carlyle and go "Wow guy you're one conversation away from being some kinda super crazy rapist motherfucker, aren't you" but I liked Joshua's bit in it

Carlyle was kind of an easy boss all told. Dodged everything but could not scratch Lute or Artur, and if I had wanted to Ross could have hit him with the Swordslayer for 52 damage in one hit

Good map but I spent about four times longer on it than I should have, partially to get Cormag some experience and partially because I forgot only Eirika can seize....

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    More support structures that I enjoyed from the old era-- getting to A (effectively S) support with two people who will end up together, e.g. Seth and Eirika-- doesn't mean they start smooching or baby-making right in the middle of the quest. This means that you can read a little more into their interactions in the plot without the whole "Hey, he's speaking like that to his wife?" issue.

I'd like a return to that in many instances. It'd definitely make all the times Xander or any of the siblings calling you 'sister' less awkward....

signature.png
  • Options
    Oh god, someone pointed out that Laslow's Anna on the Run comment (got pelted with a snowball out of nowhere) was connected to Xander's (he sometimes throws a snowball around though he doesn't admit it to anyone else...)

Knowing that there was a connection between Takumi and Hinata as well means I have to check all the retainers and their lords now...!

signature.png
  • Options
    I did. Nice little scene. Hard to take it as seriously now as I might have when I was a teen, because now I look at Carlyle and go "Wow guy you're one conversation away from being some kinda super crazy rapist motherfucker, aren't you" but I liked Joshua's bit in it

Carlyle was kind of an easy boss all told. Dodged everything but could not scratch Lute or Artur, and if I had wanted to Ross could have hit him with the Swordslayer for 52 damage in one hit

Good map but I spent about four times longer on it than I should have, partially to get Cormag some experience and partially because I forgot only Eirika can seize....
    I really like that chapter, it was super mind blowing to have one of my favorite minor characters suddenly become story relevant something like ten chapters after you meet him!

And his denouement where he just has to get it all out of his system, to tell somebody about his regrets, I really like that a lot. Sacred Stones is a game all about bad decisions and hoo boy does he get to live with that one.

I hope I didn't make it too obvious or annoying with my general pushing to use him but I just. You have to bring him along on Eirika's route. You gotta!

Anyways yeah. Fun...fun stuff.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Ugh, why does life have to be life. I don't think I'm going to finish even one campaign before Bravely Second arrives.

• Options
    I actually like the showdowns more in 15 in ephraim's route even though joshua/cormag have way more reason to hate the guys in eirikas

This discussion has been closed.