Options

shed [chat]

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    HERE IS HOW THE MAGICAL ART OF FARTOMANCY WORKS

It's all about the pitch

Trace on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    like twice a year i wonder- hm i need more military/spy fiction, better written than lee child but less densely written than say john le carre.

locke lamora that jacob recommended was quite good i think. brandon sanderson's mistborn was ok i think. but both of those are at least a little fantastical/other worldly.

it ain't easy being well read enough to find pulpy, episodic badass thrillers boring but too stupid to enjoy most brainy stuff

weep

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I enjoyed reading the Hobbit, but the LotR books were too heavy on worldbuilding for my tastes. Which I suppose is missing the point, but reading LotR after having literally dozens of other shows, games, etc. imitate his worldbuilding, I didn't really need to have it described in vivid detail.

I guess I define worldbuilding differently

the books are very big on like atmosphere and northern european folkways but I think compared to almost any other fantasy novel they're very light on HERE ARE THE ECONOMICS OF THE KINGDOM OF GONDELFARB and HERE IS HOW THE MAGICAL ART OF FARTOMANCY WORKS

What book is this from, this series seems quite up my alley

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    like twice a year i wonder- hm i need more military/spy fiction, better written than lee child but less densely written than say john le carre.

locke lamora that jacob recommended was quite good i think. brandon sanderson's mistborn was ok i think. but both of those are at least a little fantastical/other worldly.

it ain't easy being well read enough to find pulpy, episodic badass thrillers boring but too stupid to enjoy most brainy stuff

weep

I suggest the Bolo Series of short stories and novels.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    What sous vide do I buy? Chu what do you have I want to buy the next model up

http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Bluetooth-Precision-Cooker/dp/B00UKPBXM4

it goes on sale for 140 like once a year i think but is usually 180

i lurv it

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Oh dear, I wandered onto WebMD while exploring a minor symptom I'm experiencing and now I'm pretty sure I have the T-virus.

Bored, tired and a bit horny

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    You should write that missing niche of spy fiction

Start every sentence with When you're a spy,

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Oh dear, I wandered onto WebMD while exploring a minor symptom I'm experiencing and now I'm pretty sure I have the T-virus.

Bored, tired and a bit horny

Itchy

Tasty

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I read LoTR when I was about 16.

But it wasn't my introduction to dense writing. I had read Dune before that. And a few other rather dense books. My mom is why. She also got me into sci-fi before I ever touched any Fantasy. I read Ender's Game, Stranger in a Strange Land, Childhood's End, Rama, and so many others well before I got to Tolkein. Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein were my childhood literature. Well and Crichton because his books though dumb were really fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

i lurv it

how does that even cook things

it's like a metal stick

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

i actually really loved the first bourne book

then it very, very quickly gets insane a.f.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I was thirteen or fourteen I think when I first read LOTR. Something like that.

There's lots of jokes out there regarding how the book is about just walking and some such and, haha, funny jokes, but even so the book is probably the single most influential work of fiction in the 20th century. And it deserves it.

I haven't read the books since shortly after the first film came out, though.

Maybe I should pick them up again.

• Options
    I really enjoyed the books when I was a young

But in retrospect I don't know why

Also the movies are bad and are like chalk on a nailbed to me so I wonder whether they are influencing my view of the books.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I can't sleep yet I'm tired enough that I feel nauseous

sunday is the worst day by far of this kind of weekend

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/M30ACuNgKfU

Huh this came up on my youtube watch it again list.

Think it was part of a discussion on how Tia Carrere was very formative for a young Mazzyx.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I had no interest in the remaining books after reading the first one.

My mom bought me The Apocalypse Watch, another Ludlum book, so I felt obligated to read it.

It was horrible. Like, the dialogue was about the quality that gets made fun of in the Twilight books.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

i lurv it

it's like a metal stick

so it heats and also circulates the water- you put the food in a bag (either vacuum sealed or a ziploc you squeezed free of air) or else just drop eggs or something in there. then you put the food in the water and set the sous vide cooker to your desired final temperature.

because the water bath never exceeds the temperature of optimal doneness, it's impossible for the food to overcook. on the far outside margins, texture can start to break down (ie you wouldn't want to sous vide a steak as long as ribs, maybe, because falling-apart tenderness is desired in ribs but you want some chew to steak). but yeah, for the most part you can just throw it in there, come back whenever and pull it out, then throw it in a pan or on the grill or something for a minute on each side for a crust. easy peezy and perfectly consistent results.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I can sleep yet I'm tired enough that I feel nauseous

you strung out? you feenin? my god, what have they got you on, crack, smack, dope?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I read them when I was somewhere between 5 and 8 with the help of my mother, the first time. And then repeatedly until the age of 13 when I put them down for more satisfying fare: Discworld and the Magic of Xanth

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

i lurv it

it's like a metal stick

so it heats and also circulates the water- you put the food in a bag (either vacuum sealed or a ziploc you squeezed free of air) or else just drop eggs or something in there. then you put the food in the water and set the sous vide cooker to your desired final temperature.

because the water bath never exceeds the temperature of optimal doneness, it's impossible for the food to overcook. on the far outside margins, texture can start to break down (ie you wouldn't want to sous vide a steak as long as ribs, maybe, because falling-apart tenderness is desired in ribs but you want some chew to steak). but yeah, for the most part you can just throw it in there, come back whenever and pull it out, then throw it in a pan or on the grill or something for a minute on each side for a crust. easy peezy and perfectly consistent results.

That.....actually sounds amazing.

Note: You can also use water to help get the air out of ziplock bag. Just leave it a bit open and submerge everything but the open bit in water. It'll push all the air out.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Back when I read LotR, we had to walk to school! In the snow uphill for miles ! And we had no shoes!

• Options

you strung out? you feenin? my god, what have they got you on, crack, smack, dope?

a work ethic my employers don't deserve and massive amounts of shitty coffee

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

u4ea, the fake drug from 90210

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I want someone to make a faithful adaptation where Carlos the Jackal (or if they want to update to modern day, Osama) is behind EVERYTHING and is also secretly the president

• Options
    https://youtu.be/Ex8NBCuwcdA

Youtube holes are fun.

Damn gorgeous lady.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    You don't have to have a reason to enjoy something when you are 5-8. The pure experience of the universe is for the most part enjoyable at those ages.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    You don't have to have a reason to enjoy something when you are 5-8. The pure experience of the universe is for the most part enjoyable at those ages.

True, but I didn't like other things

• Options
    other things I am on that has propelled me through this weekend:

an almost sufficient intake of fast food eaten fast in-between tasks

a love of and ease of connection with people with a dollop of misanthropic spite

momentum

a deep understanding of the fact that time can pass swiftly and enjoyably, or it can go slowly and be agonizing, but it passes all the same and my suffering has no significance

painkillers

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    'hey cass what's it like working in the esports world'

-looks at most recent skype message from boss-

eQGTQJO.png?1

'oh you know it's

good'

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

weep

@Organichu there are some good sci fi and fantastical novels in this vein

did you ever read the Miles Vorkosigan books? they are fun and as they go on they keep switching genres between military action mercenaries stuff, to spy stuff, to murder mystery, etc, which is nice as it keeps things fresh, and the characters are great

Charlie Stross's "Laundry" novels are about Mi-6 spies in a Cthulhu horror version of the real world, infiltrating secret cults, using spy gadgets made of magic, etc. they have a kind of black comedy vibe but also have surprisingly well-researched tradecraft

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Waiter at Drafthouse just made big trouble in little China joke I didn't get

Life over. Who will finish me after the seppuku????

I am wearing the shirt too

• Options
    The GOP thread reminded me - in the 2012 election, wasn't there a Fox news anchor or commenter or something that had a meltdown when the Fox analysts declared the election for Obama? Like, he took a camera team to wherever the analysts were working and demanded they explain themselves or something?

Like, he was so convinced Obama couldn't possibly win that he thought he was exposing some kind of subterfuge?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

weep

@organichu have you read Daemon

• Options
    Waiter at Drafthouse just made big trouble in little China joke I didn't get

Life over. Who will finish me after the seppuku????

I am wearing the shirt too

you have shamed this dojo

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Ham Rove?

• Options

weep

@Organichu there are some good sci fi and fantastical novels in this vein

did you ever read the Miles Vorkosigan books? they are fun and as they go on they keep switching genres between military action mercenaries stuff, to spy stuff, to murder mystery, etc, which is nice as it keeps things fresh, and the characters are great

Charlie Stross's "Laundry" novels are about Mi-6 spies in a Cthulhu horror version of the real world, infiltrating secret cults, using spy gadgets made of magic, etc. they have a kind of black comedy vibe but also have surprisingly well-researched tradecraft

I just finished both of sandersons way of kings books and they're so good btw

• Options

weep

Organichu there are some good sci fi and fantastical novels in this vein

This.......intrigues me.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    'hey cass what's it like working in the esports world'

-looks at most recent skype message from boss-

eQGTQJO.png?1

'oh you know it's

good'

What is this explain yourself

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The GOP thread reminded me - in the 2012 election, wasn't there a Fox news anchor or commenter or something that had a meltdown when the Fox analysts declared the election for Obama? Like, he took a camera team to wherever the analysts were working and demanded they explain themselves or something?

Like, he was so convinced Obama couldn't possibly win that he thought he was exposing some kind of subterfuge?

That was Karl Rove, the GOP political strategist/racism kingpin

This discussion has been closed.