As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Ought To Be Watching [Movies]

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is it Sega Genesis game good or arcade game good?

(that's a trick question because both are great!)

It is Genesis game good. It just has so many nice little throwbacks to that era of X-men without being blatant about it. I mean one of the characters is almost an exact replica of the toy I had of that character and it doesn't look silly. it doesn't pander to nostalgia. It's done in a quick way for folks who will get it without making it jarring for the audience members who don't know what's going down.

Although my friend who only knows the movies was a little confused by the final scene but still enjoyed it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Is it Sega Genesis game good or arcade game good?

(that's a trick question because both are great!)

Except the Genesis game had no concept of a hitbox. Coupling that with erratic character movement and enemies that were too fast to track, the game played like everything killed you and moved at twice the speed it was supposed to.

Also my Genesis was broken, so I never beat it, because I couldn't reset the computer to stop the bomb.

That game was garbage, I'm sorry.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The reset trick was amazing because I never expected a game to actually want me to do that, that it was all a trick Mojo was playing to make me lose my progress. And then you actually hit reset after arguing with your friend about whether you should do it or not and then whoaaaa, it was serious about it.

And all I know is if you used Cyclops and Nightcrawler you were super swick, if you used those losers Gambit and Wolverine they probably died all the time.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Pirates of Dark Water didn't have some horrific subtext I don't remember right?

It's subtext is an apologia for slavery and colonialism. Sorry.

Care to elaborate?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I never liked Gambit all that much but I expect my opinion will change for Channing Tatum-san Gambit.

Just like my low opinion of Wolverine was raised substantially by Hugh Jackman.

• Options
    The Do-Over (Netflix exclusive!!!!!!!!!!) is just another one of those average comedy movies, the only difference here being it's an R movie. It's got some laughs because of that, but it's 20 minutes too long and has the weirdest editing of any recent movie I've seen since.....Special Correspondents, another Netflix movie (though Do-Over is better by miles which is saying something).

The trailers made it look like something else, an FBI Zohan getting his old high school buddy to fake their deaths and then they have wacky adventures, but it's weirder than that, and at the beginning it's just plodding on and sweeping shots of Puerto Rico and living the Georgia high life before you get to ptew ptews and Paula Patton, all the while you're wondering WTF with this story because it's not clicking at all. It finally does make sense, twenty mionutes before the end of a 2 hour comedy, but it doesn't excuse everything leading up to it. Lots of it feels like forced scenes for tax credits showing the lush beautiful locations you can visit in Georgia, and I know I already wrote this but the editing is just bad, badly filmed shots are accompanied by a lot of weak country music stuff or whatever is country music these days. Even the credits used is weird, this dark red color used on small, obscurely placed condensed fonts makes it hard to read, I know this might read as nitpicking but it's more a lack of completing the most mundane things a film needs to do.

Sandler and Spade are bland but not bad here, you can tell Sandler's just now in his comedic equivalent of Liam Neeson's tough guy phase and resorting to harsher jokes which actually works better for him, Paula Patton Oswalt is just a generic character who doesn't have much to work with and there's no scenes like that BMW entrance in MI4 where you go "nice", Kathryn Hahn has a nice appearance here as well as Natasha Leggero being terrible wife to Spade (but is poorly underused), and then there's The Shield for two minutes and Dan Patrick as always.

It's a movie made to simply get a C in class, if that, but every now and then it slips up and gives you a 7/10 joke or does some legit grossout comedy (the worst kind of rude titties near the end be warned, ie they are not rude titties so much as lewd titties #scoreboard). So if you just need something to watch this weekend and have already seen some other movies, it's worth a watch I guess.

I do question Netflix's quality control when it comes to their films, whether they just put out what's given to them simply because they need it to hit the service or if they would look at something and tell the producers to clean this shit up or give back some of their money. Ridiculous 6 at least tried to be presented as a "real" movie yet still had editing flaws while Crouching Tiger 2, Special Correspondents, and The Do-Over all feel like they were put together by interns with total lack of concern or respect for getting it done properly. I'm reminded of the Seinfeld standup joke about the Library being the nerdy kid who would give out his toys to people just so they would like him even though the kids knew they could treat him like crap. But anyway yeah back on track, drink pineapple juice and play the Genesis X-Men game because Power Rangers.

• Options
    What are some recent movies that have had the Hansel and Gretel seal?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Took my daughter (who is an X-Men fanatic) to see Apocalypse. It was much better than I expected. Not as good as DoFP, but still great.

My daughter squealed when a certain scene toward the end happened, and I admit, I got a bit squealish too.
    OMG PHOENIX!!!!!!

Scott and Jean get a lot of screen time, and while I was worried I wouldn't like them in the roles, I was pleasently surprised at how much I enjoyed them.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Someone on reddit posted this about X-Men Apocalypse:
    That was a really good movie that someone said "this is a good movie, lets fucking ruin it with a bunch of super cheesy, cliche, bullshit dialogue and emotions"

I agree with them. I didn't hate it like Batman vs. Superman. In fact, I was rooting for it cause the first 2 were good and this had some interesting ideas. But I want to slap the shit out of Simon Kinberg for writing such bad dialogue. And then when he's had enough, Bryan Singer can film a closeup of a tear running down his cheek, because that's a thing he's trying to bring back.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    That was a really good movie that someone said "this is a good movie, lets fucking ruin it with a bunch of super cheesy, cliche, bullshit dialogue and emotions"

I agree with them. I didn't hate it like Batman vs. Superman. In fact, I was rooting for it cause the first 2 were good and this had some interesting ideas. But I want to slap the shit out of Simon Kinberg for writing such bad dialogue. And then when he's had enough, Bryan Singer can film a closeup of a tear running down his cheek, because that's a thing he's trying to bring back.

There were like at least four of those fucking tear shots.

Man come on Singer.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The review on birth.movies.death haaaaaated Apocalypse, but then they also said there had never been a good X-Men movie, sooo...

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The review on birth.movies.death haaaaaated Apocalypse, but then they also said there had never been a good X-Men movie, sooo...

Also, they thought birth.movies.death would be a good name.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I think I've said this before, but it's a great name for the (really well produced) Alamo Drafthouse monthly print magazine that you can get at their theaters and a pretty poor name for an internet blog. (But maybe I shouldn't be throwing stones on that one.)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    So, I saw The Witch.

It was... good? I think I respected it more than I liked it. It had a very specific vision, and i think it pulled off exactly what it was trying to do, I'm just not sure that a hyper-realistic portrait of colonial Super Christians being stalked by an evil goat is necessarily something to enjoy.

But craft-wise, everything was top notch. Great performances, moody as shit, and the last fifteen minutes was damned good. I'm eager to see what this director does next.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    What are some recent movies that have had the Hansel and Gretel seal?

I give that seal to Pride & Prejudice and Zombies.

My wife and I saw it on Valentines Day. She thought she was making a big sacrifice like when we went to Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, but she had as much fun as I did.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'll have to read their review, but in general I have to say I agree with them. There have been fun X-Men movies, and several of them have very good scenes, but they're all compromised in one way or another and have whole stretches that are mediocre at best. E.g. I've told people that First Class was a really good movie, but when thinking about it I'd have to say that it's mainly the first third or so and especially the scenes with Magneto hunting Nazis that are good, the rest is simply okay. I'd more or less say that the best X-Men movies are only a little better on the whole than the worst MCU films.

On a different note, we're currently in the process of rewatching a bunch of films that were done in Jordan, since we were there recently. Last week was Last Crusade (<3 Petra), this week was The Martian, a film that still holds up tremendously well. I think the main reason it does is that its tone is pitch perfect for the story it's telling. It's never weighed down by trying to be serious business, and as is so often the case, I find it easier to take the drama that's there seriously if it isn't constantly telling me how serious it is. (IMO this is also a key difference between the MCU movies and the DC movies.)

But damn if poor Mark Watney doesn't keep driving past the same mountain (AKA the Seven Pillars of Wisdom):
    20667012299_ff207e1b7d_o.jpg

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I think the first two X-Men movies are really good, and better and more interesting than most of Marvel's output. The rest I'll agree on, though (having not seen the new one yet).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'll grant that I'm probably unfair to the second one, but I don't think the first one holds up particularly well. It's got some great actors, but so many of the characters are nothingy (if I remember correctly - it's been many, many years since I've seen the film). What is it you like so much about the first X-Men movie, Astaereth?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm just not sure that a hyper-realistic portrait of colonial Super Christians being stalked by an evil goat is necessarily something to enjoy.

This quote needs to be on The VVitch dvd/blu-rays.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Aw I liked The Witch

it's the subject of my next article

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    So, I saw The Witch.

It was... good? I think I respected it more than I liked it. It had a very specific vision, and i think it pulled off exactly what it was trying to do, I'm just not sure that a hyper-realistic portrait of colonial Super Christians being stalked by an evil goat is necessarily something to enjoy.

But craft-wise, everything was top notch. Great performances, moody as shit, and the last fifteen minutes was damned good. I'm eager to see what this director does next.

I think that's basically how I feel about it. I really, really appreciate & admire it. Every aspect of the movie is expertly crafted. It did an excellent job of setting mood & tone, and eliciting emotions.

It's just that all the mood, tone, and emotions are unpleasant, so it's difficult to say I "enjoyed" the movie.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    jimb213 wrote: »
    It's just that all the mood, tone, and emotions are unpleasant, so it's difficult to say I "enjoyed" the movie.

I agree with this until those last 15 minutes. Then it became "This is awesome. I'm so glad it ended that way!"

I also appreciate that
    they weren't interested in making you guess if the supernatural stuff is real. At the very beginning, we get that question out of the way. Also, horror movie without jump scares = <3.

Jibba on
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Ending of The Witch
    I thought it would have been stronger if she just had followed Black Phillip/The devil into the forest. Meeting the coven of witches who were doing advanced Magic was a bit too much for my taste. But an excellent movie, those creepy twins...

• Options

I slept on it and woke up and remembered that almost all the dialog was clunky and stupid. Something about the writing really dragged this movie down. Definitely not as good as the first two in this series.

Oscar Isaac was magical as usual though and there were some neat scenes. I loved the Egyptian opening.

• Options
    Librarian wrote: »
    Ending of The Witch
    I thought it would have been stronger if she just had followed Black Phillip/The devil into the forest. Meeting the coven of witches who were doing advanced Magic was a bit too much for my taste. But an excellent movie, those creepy twins...
    They had me up through Tomasina meeting the coven, but I think they should've cut it before everyone started flying.

I get what they were going after, showing Tomasina ecstatic with this new power, but I think they could've gotten that across without going all Occult Mary Poppins.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Ending of The Witch
    They had me up through Tomasina meeting the coven, but I think they should've cut it before everyone started flying.

I get what they were going after, showing Tomasina ecstatic with this new power, but I think they could've gotten that across without going all Occult Mary Poppins.

I think the point of the film was to tell this folktale from the POV of the time period, so for me that worked okay

witches can fly

how else do you know they are witches?

otherwise they're just, like, swamp hags or crones or something

dang, jeffe, learn your paranormal taxonomy

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Ending of The Witch

I think the point of the film was to tell this folktale from the POV of the time period, so for me that worked okay

witches can fly

how else do you know they are witches?

otherwise they're just, like, swamp hags or crones or something

dang, jeffe, learn your paranormal taxonomy

Tobin's Spirit Guide.

Came as a giant sloar.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Occult Mary Poppins.

Calling it now: someone is going to re-make the movie into a "dark and gritty" mess, where she's actually on the run and persecuted for her magic. Maybe Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp in Dick Van Dyke's role.

Jibba on
  • Options
    Occult Mary Poppins.

Calling it now: someone is going to re-make the movie into a "dark and gritty" mess, where she's actually on the run and persecuted for her magic. Maybe Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp in Dick Van Dyke's role.

I think the author's estate still exerts control over the rights to Marry Poppins so I'm gonna go with "no way".

• Options
    Will post a better review but X-Men Apocalypse was great, the best comic to screen adaptation of a comic series since Spider-Man 2, and the ending filled me with Paddington levels of joy and unbridled kid enthusiasm.

Plus Quicksilver has the best scene of the year so far.

Fuck the movie critic haters.

• Options
    Will post a better review but X-Men Apocalypse was great, the best comic to screen adaptation of a comic series since Spider-Man 2, and the ending filled me with Paddington levels of joy and unbridled kid enthusiasm.

wow

much disagreement here!

interesting

Quicksilver is always the best tho I agree

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

wow

much disagreement here!

interesting

Quicksilver is always the best tho I agree

How do you feel about The Mighty Ducks 2 though?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Occult Mary Poppins.

Wouldn't you rather have the dark PG-13 prequel with amazing amounts of CGI that the movie company pulled out of its rear end?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Putting this through the TexiKen filter, I must assume this movie is worse then X-Men 3.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    The first X-Men movie did not age well, but I give it a pass since it was one of the first comic book movies to rebirth the genre after that dark, dark era of the 90's Batman movies. (I'm not sure if Blade came out before or after)

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    The first X-Men movie did not age well, but I give it a pass since it was one of the first comic book movies to rebirth the genre after that dark, dark era of the 90's Batman movies. (I'm not sure if Blade came out before or after)

Blade was before, it filmed in 97, released in 98, with the first Singer X-Men landing in 2000.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Just reporting in to say that I watched Bone Tomahawk and cannot understand why it has such positive reviews. It was overall incredibly senseless.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Also with you 100%

(Well minus the spider-man thing. but i don't have any thoughts on that movie)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.