Options

Every [chat] a Painting

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    I will be discharged shortly. Wasn't a whole lot they can do for me besides dope me the fuck up. I have a procedure scheduled for April 25th (Cortisone epidural and an anaesthetic injection as a diagnostic tool to see if radio frequency ablation would be effective). If the anaesthetic injection goes well sometime in June-August I'll get the radio-frequency ablation, which is basically using radio waves to burn out my nerve endings to reduce pain.

They don't, at this time, believe I'm in serious danger of paralysis or that my condition has seriously worsened. They think that my acute increase in pain is due to an inflammation flare up that should resolve in 24-48 hours. So they're giving me some Toradol and Dilaudid to take home, and to take the next 1-2 days off to chill.

Further :bro: , Matt

I know that cursed spine of yours has been torturing for years, but I hope you're getting the care you need to make it ... manageable, at least.

Again, I'd pray for miracles, but I'm not in the business. Positive and healing thoughts coming your way though dude, and I'll look into whether or not I can donate my spine to you.

Maybe find a "dead" guy and take his - we'll figure this out, anyway.

When I talk about the 8-10 years of walking they give me, I always emphasize that is at current technology levels.

In 8-10 years, a lot can change and maybe I can get me a fancy cyber spine, or have one grown from stem cells, or something.

Oh I know, I do believe in the near-miracle that is modern science, an- OH MY GOD POWERED EXOSKELETON THING LIKE FROM ALIEN

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    What are the things to check when visitng an apartment you want to rent?

So far, i have...
    • Water pressure (Test every sink + the toilet)
    • Cleanliness of the premises
    • Mold in the bathroom/behind the fridge
    • Noise dampening of the walls
    What else is there?

Which parts if the flat, if any, will be in direct sunlight. Because they'll be HAWT come summer (really wish I'd checked that one out a bit more, hoooboy) and if it has central A/C if it actually cools any rooms other than the one it's installed in.

Can you tell I struggle with the summers here?

sig.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    An excellent upload today, Supradarky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhsNQ6r2fHE

i loved that game.

it was fun AND the whole "make your own character sprite" angle was neat.

Shame the thing basically amounted to being the same as naming your character, but still very neat and a great game overall.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Man, I miss the punishments and vocabulary available to the military, as a high school teacher.

Smoking [forcing to perform strenuous physical activity] the shit out of kids would solve so many problems.

"Having problems getting to class on time? A few miles of sprints will fix that problem." It feels shitty at the time, but it's healthy, impresses the correction in a memorable way, and avoids grade issues that have long term impacts. Paperwork punishments are just not great tools for anyone who you want to retain. For professional adults, merely informing them of the problem and/or giving them support is sufficient, but for younger people, stuff that feels awful in the moment but has no long term repercussions whatsoever is a super great tool.

Sooooo

what're you gonna run behind him and hit the kid with a horsewhip to make sure he's running?

that's a horrible idea, most kids would just not do it and you're not going to be able to make them do it.

Sure you can. You need parental backing, but if you put almost any human being on the planet in a position where they don't feel like they have a choice, they'll comply. Milgram proved that, and I've seen it in action.

Moreover, again, outright presenting it as an alternative to overall more serious consequences is the right path. Again, paperwork punishments are truly the worst, whereas a shitty hour is a shitty hour.

The example that makes me think of this is a student who has just fucked off on the biggest assignment of the quarter (which they are capable of producing genuinely A/B grade stuff). Yeah, could enter a zero and fail them, but when it comes to long term things like a college degree, it is in their benefit to have a consequence that isn't a failing grade. But low key consequences aren't working, so...

• Options
    we should make a petition to have NASA set Pony up with a home in the ISS.

Nothing but its successor for Matt! That thing was limited by the Shuttle and the technology of the time.

I'm talking Bigalow Inflatable Modules, the kind of things you get stuck floating in the middle of and panic for a few minutes (like the Japanese module!)

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Man, I miss the punishments and vocabulary available to the military, as a high school teacher.

Smoking [forcing to perform strenuous physical activity] the shit out of kids would solve so many problems.

"Having problems getting to class on time? A few miles of sprints will fix that problem." It feels shitty at the time, but it's healthy, impresses the correction in a memorable way, and avoids grade issues that have long term impacts. Paperwork punishments are just not great tools for anyone who you want to retain. For professional adults, merely informing them of the problem and/or giving them support is sufficient, but for younger people, stuff that feels awful in the moment but has no long term repercussions whatsoever is a super great tool.

Sooooo

what're you gonna run behind him and hit the kid with a horsewhip to make sure he's running?

that's a horrible idea, most kids would just not do it and you're not going to be able to make them do it.

Sure you can. You need parental backing, but if you put almost any human being on the planet in a position where they don't feel like they have a choice, they'll comply. Milgram proved that, and I've seen it in action.

Moreover, again, outright presenting it as an alternative to overall more serious consequences is the right path. Again, paperwork punishments are truly the worst, whereas a shitty hour is a shitty hour.

The example that makes me think of this is a student who has just fucked off on the biggest assignment of the quarter (which they are capable of producing genuinely A/B grade stuff). Yeah, could enter a zero and fail them, but when it comes to long term things like a college degree, it is in their benefit to have a consequence that isn't a failing grade. But low key consequences aren't working, so...

And when the first kid sprains his ankle bad enough to need a visit to the doctors who's going to pay for that?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    A
    Why you sign me out, forums

whenever this happens to me I wonder if I got banned

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Hakkekage halp I can't settle on a hair style for my Fire Emblem lady ffffffffff

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Nevermind how unfair this is.

You'll have football players who fuck off and have absolutely no trouble with this but when your less physically gifted students mess up or fuck off this is a major punishment.

That doesn't sound like that much of a fair system.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    A

landshark what awful things are you PMing to people to even fathom that you might have banned

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

You'll have football players who fuck off and have absolutely no trouble with this but when your less physically gifted students mess up or fuck off this is a major punishment.

Why does it need to be fair if it's effective?

• Options
    Hell it sounds like a system that sort of rewards the physically gifted. Because the punishment is less a punishment and more a time for them to do some exercise and have an awesome seven minute mile or something.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

You're right, stop and frisk was brilliant.

• Options
    A

landshark what awful things are you PMing to people to even fathom that you might have banned

*stares at 30GB folder of pictures of narwhal anatomy*

*sweats*

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    AUGH @Elki

You do this to me, the day of my last spring break's first day

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I assume if ProgramJunkie is talking about military style smoking it's a situation where you push them past whatever their limits are, so everybody gets fucked over to the point they're puking.

I still think it's a tremendously stupid idea, but it's not a tremendously stupid idea because he'd be incompetent and unfair at administering it.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    I assume if ProgramJunkie is talking about military style smoking it's a situation where you push them past whatever their limits are, so everybody gets fucked over to the point they're puking.

I still think it's a tremendously stupid idea, but it's not a tremendously stupid idea because he'd be incompetent and unfair at administering it.

yeah as a parent I'd be so not on board with that I'd pull my kids out of the school so fast their heads would be spinning if any school put that forward as a reasonable alternative.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I think that we should basically just clockwork orange delinquent kids

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    A

*stares at 30GB folder of pictures of narwhal anatomy*

*sweats*

I mean

That's clearly in excess of the image size restrictions

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    A

ive been banned twice

both by accident but still

it leaves a mark you don't quickly forget

*idly traces the scars with his finger*

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    A

ive been banned twice

Well it's not like we ever purposely get banned.

• Options
    I've deserved a couple bans in my time

That I've not slipped into that sort of behavior is just one of many signs I use to measure the improvement in my mental health

Rockets are my new drug

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    "Excuse me could you direct me to the men's room"
    "Go straight through here until you see a guy with a bird eating his liver, then turn right and make a quick left"
    "Thanks"

• Options

Sooooo

And when the first kid sprains his ankle bad enough to need a visit to the doctors who's going to pay for that?

I also support commie level socialized healthcare. Besides, in our shitty current system, they pay either way. A zero on a major project in the grade book is the difference in their merit college scholarship, so, more expensive than a doctor's visit, really.

I'd argue that it might pay for itself given good implementation. For example, our school system outright hires full time special education related personnel (behaviorists, etc), because the full time salary of them is cheaper than the fees for 3rd party consulting on the same number of students. Throwing a nurse practioner into the system could have benefits here, as well as in ancillary situations like a norovirus outbreak or somesuch.

I vastly prefer individualized punishments whenever appropriate. Football players would receive the generous gift of pushing them to be the most physically fit players in the state, whereas your average student is going to get a punishment appropriate to their circumstances.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    A

ive been banned twice

Collateral bannage?

• Options

In a somewhat less snarky tone because I was fired up a few minutes ago..

The ends do not justify the means. Ever.

Locking people up in asylums back in the early 1900's was effective but it certainly wasn't fair.

You wanna punish kids in highschool in a way that is effective and both improves them as a person? Wonderful, unfortunately there is no one answer fits all here because every kid is different, every house they come from is different (even if there are some similarities between quality of life), they are going to have different moral values, different behaviors different limitations different options available to them that aren't available to other kids because of Reason A.

And forcing them to do what is basically meaningless physical labors isn't the answer. Might as well have them smash rocks with some hammers in a striped outfit.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    prison school, you say
    i've read the literature on that,

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    smash rocks with some hammers in a striped outfit.

By the way, this is my dream job but machines keep stealing jobs, man!

• Options
    Dude doctor visits are not cheap and college is not the best answer for -alot- of your students probably.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    prison school, you say

p10.....

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What if the ends is saving the earth from alien invasion and the means are giving the aliens a delicious candy bar.

Surely the ends justify the means.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I personally think sometimes the ends justify the means.

Maybe it's cause I'm old and jaded.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    this professor grades on a curve and always gives 20% of the class an F on exams

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    What if the ends is saving the earth from alien invasion and the means are giving the aliens a delicious candy bar.

But the candy bar has trans fats and gluten

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    this professor grades on a curve and always gives 20% of the class an F on exams

That is ridiculously stupid. I'm glad A&M was sane about their grading.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    prison school, you say

p10.....
    i thought about @'ing you but i knew you would find your way

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

But the candy bar has trans fats and gluten

What if it is a $5 expensive whole foods no grain natural chocolate candy bar?

May NOT contain traces of wheat and nuts.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    this fascist chat

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    A

ive been banned twice

Well it's not like we ever purposely get banned.

We have had people do purposely get banned here, haven't we?

• Options

In a somewhat less snarky tone because I was fired up a few minutes ago..

The ends do not justify the means. Ever.

Locking people up in asylums back in the early 1900's was effective but it certainly wasn't fair.

You wanna punish kids in highschool in a way that is effective and both improves them as a person? Wonderful, unfortunately there is no one answer fits all here because every kid is different, every house they come from is different (even if there are some similarities between quality of life), they are going to have different moral values, different behaviors different limitations different options available to them that aren't available to other kids because of Reason A.

And forcing them to do what is basically meaningless physical labors isn't the answer. Might as well have them smash rocks with some hammers in a striped outfit.

Of course no one answer fits all. I outright said as much. The first answer, which works for some is to merely tell the student there is a problem, "Hey, you need to improve X," and then they do. A second answer, similar, is to say that, but also give concrete tools to help, because they need some support. Notice how no punitive element exists in those. However, since some teenagers would rather play Black Ops than do homework, even knowing that isn't a good idea, and don't have the long term perspective going 5-10-20 years, they need an immediate consequence to fix the problem. Detention can work for some, a zero can work for some, etc.

But, let's say you end up with a student who could have, given physical consequences, graduated with a 3.3 average, and instead graduates with a 2.0. They are fucked in a modern economy, almost certainly. Our student population is almost entirely black / Latino, and almost entirely from poor households, so if they do not get into college with a generous aid package, their outcome is really fucking grim. There's not "Well, my father's former business partner hires me at six figures" fallback plan for them. They either do well in high school, and do well in college, or they are looking at a lifetime of struggle and sub-par outcomes.

Maybe I'm wrong (though I doubt it), but this isn't just some "back in my day" bullshit. These are high need students with who current solutions aren't working, and I've seen other solutions that work really well in most circumstances in another environment, and think they could work well here for the same reasons.

This discussion has been closed.