As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Board gaming at Pax

mauliksharmamauliksharma Registered User regular
Is there a centralized place where we can try and match up with others to play board games at PAX East? I didn't see someplace other than this forum. I tried posting to match with anyone who wanted to try their hand at the star wars armada miniatures game but got no replies.

• Options
    DeathJest3rDeathJest3r Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I assume this must be your first year at PAX. Welcome! You've come to the right convention!
    There is a warehouse-sized section of the convention center dedicated to table top. You'll have no problems finding people to play with at the con by either just bringing your own game to a table or by using the Tabletop HQ library (https://twitter.com/TT_HQ). They sent up twitter hashtags for people looking to either host or join any specific tabletop game.

DeathJest3r on
  • Options
    mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    At South they had these cute little signs to look for people to play with as well. There is TONS of boardgaming at Pax.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The biggest problem with the boardgame area after the day really gets going is finding a table, not a partner. Everyone I met was super friendly about joining games if there were open spots.

• Options
    HazelHalfBloodHazelHalfBlood Unapologetic Dungeons and Dragons Enthusiast New HampshireRegistered User regular
    PAX is a great place to find new bored games and new friends to play with. Schuss is right though, the hardest part is finding a table. You'll have no trouble finding a pick up group!

PAX Unplugged 2018 .... We Have Our...Passes [X] Hotel [X] Bus [..] Packed [..]

2afaq20.png

Proud Cookie Brigade Supporter
  • Options
    BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    Personally I wish for two things for the board game area:

1) Labeled location. It's hard finding people, even your friends, in such a large space. If I could just say "I'm in the red table area" or "the northwest location" or anything, it would be a big help.

2) Large monitors or possibly that big projection screen that would just show the #TTLFG hashtag. Getting cell/wifi to work is hit or miss in that area. If I could just glance at a PAX TT_HQ run screen and see who, what game, and where people are looking for players... perfect.

• Options
    Oh, and a note of etiquette for all - don't hog the table space if you're done playing. I saw a few groups that basically kept space for hours on end that were just hanging out.

• Options
    HazelHalfBloodHazelHalfBlood Unapologetic Dungeons and Dragons Enthusiast New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Also, sharing tables with other groups can be a ton of fun! Last year it led to a massive combined game of Forbidden Island!

PAX Unplugged 2018 .... We Have Our...Passes [X] Hotel [X] Bus [..] Packed [..]

2afaq20.png

Proud Cookie Brigade Supporter
  • Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    I'll reiterate a wish I've had for the past few years: I'd love to see a map for the TT area covering what vendor booths are there and where they are located in the program guide or at least in Guidebook. Could tie in a bit with BinaryTB's wish#1 since "I'm by the Compleat Strategist booth" or " Walk across the aisle from the Cool Minis or Not booth 3 tables in" would definitely be easier to follow.

• Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Tabletop Etiquette is that if you are looking for players.. open your box, and set it so that your "cover" is up and visible. (basically tuck it under the box so that the cover is standing up)

It's basically a LFG sign ;)

I don't know when this became a tradition, but it definitely will work on pax veterans.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    SnowDogSnowDog Central MARegistered User regular
    That works (well), though you are relying on passers-by, and have to be willing to teach whoever comes by your game (unless you're lucky and someone comes by who can teach it to you!).

It also works to hold the box cover up above your head, though you might get tired :). I've even seen people walking around carrying a box above their heads, clearly signalling they have a game and are looking for a group.

• Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Going back to the OP, I think what @mauliksharma was asking: Is there an online forum or form where people can schedule game sessions in the weeks leading up to PAX?

Other conventions do this. PAX...does not :) There are no table reservations in the Tabletop Area, no Ticketing system or scheduled attendee-run game sessions like at Gen Con or Origins, no system like WarHorn is used to make online reservations. Tables are first come, first served.

As the show approaches, try posting a reply to your original thread about Armada, to bump it up on the forum list, and you may get some responses.

Lackey on
  • Options
    jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The tabletop area is one of my favorite parts of PAX and I usually end up spending way too much money there. I feel compelled to share my favorite board gaming story of PAX:

A few years ago a friend and I went to the tables run by one of the vendors in the tabletop area. The table had a huge stack of games and a sign that said "Learn to Play". So, my friend and I went up to one of the employees and told him that we were looking for a new game that was easy enough for casual board game players (of which most of our friend group is comprised). The guy says "I have just the game!!" and sits us down to teach us Dominion. Yes, DOMINION, the game we are later told ends friendships, is our new "casual" game.

Anyway he teaches us the basics, going over some base strategy and then lets us feel out the game for ourselves. I shit you not, two and a half hours into our first game another employee of the vendor comes over and says "Oh, it looks like you've been playing wrong this whole time". WHAT?!?! 2.5 hours and we have been doing it wrong the whole time?? We had a good laugh but left feeling pretty silly, especially when our more experienced friends explained how intense Dominion can really be. I swore that night I would never play it again, but a week later I found myself obsessing over strategy and gameplay, so I ran out to the only store in a 50 mile radius that sold the game and bought it.

So is there a spot to play board games at PAX? Yeah there's a spot. It's huge and it's amazing and it's one of the main reasons I keep coming back for more year after year. Have fun!!

jayh0va on
    npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    While my group does "hog a table" there is literally a game of some sort going non-stop... and we have people we have never met drop in all the time. We've even fed them, if they wanted it. Don't ever be afraid to ask "can I jump in?" because sometimes the answer is "absolutely, the rules are super simple" (an example of this is superfight). We're all about the game, and no one -doesn't- want to let you join instantly. It's pretty much logistics.

I've even stood on chairs and yelled "Looking for two more for arkham horror! Newbies welcome!"

So yea. Board gaming is gigantic at pax. If you see someone playing something you want to play.. politely ask if you can join, or can get in on the next game. That's it. There's so many games going that it's hard to even explain to a rookie. ;) You're going to love Pax ;)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I just got off the phone with the Westin, and they'll have a handful of tables on the mezzanine next to the skybridge all weekend for gaming, starting Saturday. It's a great place to go if you want some quieter, less crowded game time and there's usually seats to be found.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    YarneyYarney Registered User new member
    Another thing that is worth mentioning is that they also have a board game library from which you can "check out" games to try out and play. Definitely another good way to get some gaming action going.

As we get closer to the event I'd love to coordinate with a few folks and swap some phone number to get something set up.

• Options
    elderbotelderbot Registered User regular
    I usually use the #ttlfg to find a group. It's not terribly effective to be honest and there is a lack of a good system for indicating ones location.
    This year I'm thinking about trying something pretty ambitious.
    I'm going to run an open Kingdom Death:Monster campaign marathon. KD:M is a settlement management and monster battling co-op boardgame. As the settlement progresses, there are lots of story elements that unfold.
    I'd like to try to run a campaign from beginning to end and liveblog the whole thing. No experience will be necessary and I'll try to run successive pickup games. Via the blog, players can follow along even after they've left the table, such as when waiting in line.
    I may start the campaign at Pre-PAX boardgaming at the Westin.
    If interested, make sure to keep an eye on #ttlfg.

• Options
    Kiashien wrote: »
    While my group does "hog a table" there is literally a game of some sort going non-stop... and we have people we have never met drop in all the time. We've even fed them, if they wanted it. Don't ever be afraid to ask "can I jump in?" because sometimes the answer is "absolutely, the rules are super simple" (an example of this is superfight). We're all about the game, and no one -doesn't- want to let you join instantly. It's pretty much logistics.

I've even stood on chairs and yelled "Looking for two more for arkham horror! Newbies welcome!"

So yea. Board gaming is gigantic at pax. If you see someone playing something you want to play.. politely ask if you can join, or can get in on the next game. That's it. There's so many games going that it's hard to even explain to a rookie. ;) You're going to love Pax ;)

If you're playing all day, you're not hogging.

• Options
    Midas244Midas244 Registered User regular
    I will play board games with you! I just love board games honestly :)

• Options
    CzechFreedomCzechFreedom Registered User new member
    Would anyone be interested in some Game of Thrones Risk before watching the season premiere Sunday night?

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    BinaryTB wrote: »
    Personally I wish for two things for the board game area:
    2) Large monitors or possibly that big projection screen that would just show the #TTLFG hashtag. Getting cell/wifi to work is hit or miss in that area. If I could just glance at a PAX TT_HQ run screen and see who, what game, and where people are looking for players... perfect.
    We tried that in 2011, it lasted about 1 hour before it was spammed full of every trigger word imaginable. Nice things, etc.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho