As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony & Microsoft had a mid-cycle crisis: The Aftermath

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's really sounding that unless you're a huge stickler for 4K, both of these console updates are pretty meh. Pro didn't really sell all that great and I'm not expecting different for the X.

I’m finding non enhanced games run way way better. Also the surge w 60fps is great.

It’ll still look better even at 1080p due to some super sampling trickery I have read.

HDR is cooler than 4k but damn wolfenstein 2 just looks so good now.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I legit don't see the difference between 1080p and 4K

It's kinda like how I was baffled by people who couldn't tell the difference between SD and HD, except now it's happening to me

And now I understand their total apathy on the matter

It's completely understandable. I know people who've looked at HDR-calibrated televisions and realized--they don't "see" the difference between HDR and not. They generally know the scenes are different, but they're even split on whether it's an improvement or not. Some times it looks better, other times it looks faker. Other times it's not even perceptible in the first place.

It was the same for ~720p and ~1080p (the difference between a lot of multiplatform games on XB1 and PS4). Not everyone can see that either.

Also, you (and the rest of us) are getting old.

What I've realized with HDR is that I cannot tell if a movie/game is making use of HDR by itself, but when I load up something that wasn't using HDR then got patched to use it, I can tell a huge difference.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm still looking at PS4 Pros even though I don't own an HDR/4KTV, because I figure at least I'd get a better framerate on stuff?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm still looking at PS4 Pros even though I don't own an HDR/4KTV, because I figure at least I'd get a better framerate on stuff?

Yeah I think that load times are faster. But I figure I already owned a regular PS4 and upgrading to the Pro wasn't worth the $400 for only increased speeds.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah I think that load times are faster. But I figure I already owned a regular PS4 and upgrading to the Pro wasn't worth the $400 for only increased speeds.

I don't own a PS4, but I do have a good, lazy friend who lent me a PS4 (he upgraded to a Pro and a 4KTV) ages ago and doesn't seem to be in any rush for me to give it back. I figure I'd pick one up this holiday just so I don't have to worry about breaking his PS4 or whatever, and why not get the best one if I'm gonna get one at all? (I also mostly play PC, so a PS4 is basically an exclusives machine to me)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I don't own a PS4, but I do have a good, lazy friend who lent me a PS4 (he upgraded to a Pro and a 4KTV) ages ago and doesn't seem to be in any rush for me to give it back. I figure I'd pick one up this holiday just so I don't have to worry about breaking his PS4 or whatever, and why not get the best one if I'm gonna get one at all? (I also mostly play PC, so a PS4 is basically an exclusives machine to me)

The reviews on a few recent games have mentioned that the games hitch on the original PS4 but are fine on the Pro. I have a TV with all the modern bells and whistles, but the main reason I got the Pro was that I primarily game on console and suspected that the above would occur - developers would start hitting targets on the Pro and get things "good enough" on the original PS4.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, even without a HDR/4KTV, if you don't have a PS4 and are loking at getting one there's no reason to not grab a Pro. At the very least you'll get better load times and better framerates.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah, even without a HDR/4KTV, if you don't have a PS4 and are loking at getting one there's no reason to not grab a Pro. At the very least you'll get better load times and better framerates.

I mean, there are approximately 200 reasons why not to though for some folks they won't be convincing reasons.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider looks pretty frickin' awesome on the X! I spent a little time and found some good settings for the TV and it really made a good difference.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I mean, there are approximately 200 reasons why not to though for some folks they won't be convincing reasons.

This is me right now. PS4 Slim 1TB for $200 at a lot of places this Black Friday. Only thing I've seen for the Pro is $350 at GameStop. I don't have a PS4 yet, and I don't have a 4K TV. I MAY get one in the future, but it would be a ways in the future. But if games are going to just run better on the Pro I guess I should just bite the bullet? Or maybe just hold off and see if it goes down more on Cyber Monday/Actual Christmastime? Ugggh I hate decisions.

• Options
    I figured if they didn't do any decent PS4 Pro sales for Thanksgiving, they wouldn't for Xmas which is in a few weeks anyway. Then again, what do I know?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I figured if they didn't do any decent PS4 Pro sales for Thanksgiving, they wouldn't for Xmas which is in a few weeks anyway. Then again, what do I know?

Sales usually don't get better after Black Friday. That's not to say someone won't surprise us, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    So, help me out here. I do have a 4k/HDR tv now, but still have a PS4 slim AND an Xbox One S. I'm thinking it's worth it now for the upgrade...I'm seeing the Xbox One X lauded now as the obvious best technical choice. It looks like I'm going to be able to swing an upgrade to either my PS4 or Xbone, but not both. I'm torn! I really like playing everything I can on my PS4 this generation (exclusives there are the ones I care about, like my PSVue, etc.), but my friends/family are kind of split in terms of who has what system...either way I'm leaving someone out if I just play on one versus the other, if that makes sense.

Graphically, is the difference between games that stark? I mean, if I play Titanfall 2 or Destiny 2 or Shadow of War on one versus the other, will I be like, "whoa, of course the Xbox is better holy crap the Pro sucks hard", or is it sort of "if I squint really hard and stare at the water it sort of looks like one is smoother I guess?"?

Talk me off an indecision ledge, people! I can't make decisions for myself! I NEED AN ADULT!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So, help me out here. I do have a 4k/HDR tv now, but still have a PS4 slim AND an Xbox One S. I'm thinking it's worth it now for the upgrade...I'm seeing the Xbox One X lauded now as the obvious best technical choice. It looks like I'm going to be able to swing an upgrade to either my PS4 or Xbone, but not both. I'm torn! I really like playing everything I can on my PS4 this generation (exclusives there are the ones I care about, like my PSVue, etc.), but my friends/family are kind of split in terms of who has what system...either way I'm leaving someone out if I just play on one versus the other, if that makes sense.

Graphically, is the difference between games that stark? I mean, if I play Titanfall 2 or Destiny 2 or Shadow of War on one versus the other, will I be like, "whoa, of course the Xbox is better holy crap the Pro sucks hard", or is it sort of "if I squint really hard and stare at the water it sort of looks like one is smoother I guess?"?

Talk me off an indecision ledge, people! I can't make decisions for myself! I NEED AN ADULT!

Do you play video games to have fun or for eye candy?

Follow your heart.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular
    Do you just want an upgrade or do you want the fanciest bells and whistles?

Alternatively which do you prefer playing games on?

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I have a co-worker in the same position. In my opinion (as a Sony fanboy, be warned) the XB1X is probably going to be the best technical choice, it offers the highest bang-for-the-buck in terms of pure horsepower and graphical advantage for the least money. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to fool themselves. However (and this is where my prior warning applies) Sony has "won" this generation of consoles. They have more and better games, the better exclusives (compared to the XB1X exclusives), a bigger and better selection of smaller indie titles, and they offer remote play on PC/Mac and other Sony devices like tablets, phones and handhelds.

I own a console to play games. So even though the XB1X is obviously a "better" machine, the games that I want to play (Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 7 in VR, Skyrim VR, etc) are on Playstation.

Your mileage may vary.

26904.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Follow your heart.

This implies that Xbox One X games aren't fun. Really shitty way to frame the decision.

• Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Crazod wrote: »
    Do you just want an upgrade or do you want the fanciest bells and whistles?

Alternatively which do you prefer playing games on?

I want the upgrade...I want to SEE a difference in the resolution/the pretties on screen, enough to say “wow that is a bump to levels of gorgeous-ness”. It doesn’t have to be “best” per se...

• Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    I have a co-worker in the same position. In my opinion (as a Sony fanboy, be warned) the XB1X is probably going to be the best technical choice, it offers the highest bang-for-the-buck in terms of pure horsepower and graphical advantage for the least money. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to fool themselves. However (and this is where my prior warning applies) Sony has "won" this generation of consoles. They have more and better games, the better exclusives (compared to the XB1X exclusives), a bigger and better selection of smaller indie titles, and they offer remote play on PC/Mac and other Sony devices like tablets, phones and handhelds.

I own a console to play games. So even though the XB1X is obviously a "better" machine, the games that I want to play (Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 7 in VR, Skyrim VR, etc) are on Playstation.

Your mileage may vary.

Yeah thanks for the feedback. I’m definitely in the Sony camp this time based on game choices. Like, on Xbox, I’d like to play Cuphead a bit, maybe get around to ReCore; everything else I’d assume to play on PS4. Honestly, I think my true dilemma lies in just trying to get this one family member to buy a PS4 so we can play together lol. I’m leaning toward the Pro right now, and I may just use my Xbox S for the odd game here and there. I plan on getting PUBG for the Bone when it drops next month to play with said family, so maybe that’ll be enough. :)

• Options

Follow your heart.

This implies that Xbox One X games aren't fun. Really shitty way to frame the decision.

I get what he’s saying though. Deciding whether I prioritize graphics as the end-all above the gameplay part...that’s fair, because that might influence me if I can determine that. However, I certainly am aware that the games on both systems are awesome, no complaints there. That’s my problem...I love both, truly, for what they do. It’s more of a “what should I upgrade NOW/FIRST” issue I think.

Honestly, I’m sort of fishing for some sort of warning, if there is one out there, that I might be disappointed if I bought one over the other from a graphics standpoint; mainly, will the Pro leave me flat out feeling ripped off, vs. some sort of spiritual experience people seem to be having with the X right now, heh.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It sounds to me like you already own a hefty PS4 library, which makes this a no brainer? Get a PS4 Pro. Unless you are willing to re-buy parts of your library on the XBox One X, it seems like staying in the Sony ecosystem is better long term for your pocketbook. Don't overthink the X's better specs. The Pro will not leave you feeling ripped off if you have a 4K/HDR TV (which you indicated you do), and the Xbox One X is not a spiritual experience. You need a high end PC for spiritual experiences :wink:

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you already own a hefty PS4 library, which makes this a no brainer? Get a PS4 Pro. Unless you are willing to re-buy parts of your library on the XBox One X, it seems like staying in the Sony ecosystem is better long term for your pocketbook. Don't overthink the X's better specs. The Pro will not leave you feeling ripped off if you have a 4K/HDR TV (which you indicated you do), and the Xbox One X is not a spiritual experience. You need a high end PC for spiritual experiences :wink:

Ha, fair points. :)
    Thanks.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Check out Digital Foundry, on YouTube - they have a number of videos with side by side comparisons of Xbox One X vs PS4 pro.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I wonder if Xbox One titles having to work on the weaker base hardware will make it harder to push the Xbox One X hardware to it's limits.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    The PS4 Pro has the same issue, and so far it's been slanting towards "developers are targeting the Pro's hardware and downscaling for the classic", which means the Pro runs everything better, all the time and in fact sometimes the classic can just barely run shit at acceptable levels. I would imagine the One X will end up in this same territory. Everything will always "work" on the classic machine, but as more developers target the X as the intended experience with the classic console getting the downscale you'll likely start to see the classic consoles struggle with the very latest games.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Lack of any Black Friday sales for PS4 Pro is a real bummer, especially given the Xbox One X just launched.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    I already have a Pro, so I am resisting my famous urge to have the latest shiny thing at all times and saving the 500 bucks I'd spend on an X for a new TV. Going to be ordering a 65" LG OLED (likely the B7A) here in a couple of months and then I'll get an X.

• Options
    I have the 55" LG OLED, it's fantastic. Best picture I've ever seen on a television.

I'm on the fence about going with the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. The X is technically superior in every way and it would be cool to have a UHD player. PS4 Pro has the advantage of upgrading my existing games and Sony having better upcoming exclusives.

• Options
    I still think it boils down to where your library and friends are, at least to me. Last generation I was a 360 guy, so I own stacks of 360 games. I made the switch back to Sony this generation, so all my friends and all my games are there. I'll own both eventually anyway, but if I had to make an initial choice that would be my deciding factor.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My gut reaction is that the industry being what it is, the law of lowest common denominator will still be in effect. The Xbox One X might be the most powerful system now, but it probably won't matter. Games will still be developed with both systems in mind. X enhancements will likely be exactly the same as Pro enhancements. And current Pro enhancements so far have been "eehhhyyeahhh".

I doubt the extra power of the X compared to the Pro is going to matter one bit in this generation, so for me personally I wouldn't bother giving that fact a consideration.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Depends on how much work companies have been doing on their PC versions. If the PC version has good scalability, then the likelihood of the One-PS4-Pro-X versions scaling appropriately is higher, since those assets will already exist.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    The higher power of the X will absolutely matter

...for any Forza or Halo games that come out in the next 3 years

• Options
    edited November 2017
    In a normal console generation, I would agree. This is not a normal generation. They are using nearly identical, PC style, hardware. That gives developers way more cycles to custom tune builds of the game for every console. At a low level their engines are not as divergant as they were last generation. Sure, one is ostensibly OpenGL and the other is DirectX...but any developer worth their salt is using an engine that has render engines for both. Anything in the middleware space (Unreal, Unity, et al) will support both out of the box. This is also why nearly everything comes to PC at this point. Building a game for the Bone or the PS4 basically gets you 80% of the way there from a technology point of view (obviously testing PC side is obnoxious).

I really don't think we're going to see the common denominator effect as pronounced this generation. That's already being seen with the PS4 Pro, where newly released PS4 games are quite clearly targeting that hardware with a custom downscale for the classic.

e: Also, what you everyone is saying is already not true. Go watch Digital Foundry's comparison of Assassin's Creed Origin's across the consoles. The XBox One X version clearly looks better, with it's dynamic resolution scaling taking it to native 4k at several points and with much less temporal anti-aliasing artifacts. The PS4 Pro version, which still looks good, never hits native 4k and still users checker boarding and a lot of temporal anti-aliasing. The engines the developers are using today can dynamically spool up for the hardware, so yes, the X's power will matter more than it ever has in past generations. Start thinking of this hardware like a PC instead of a game console. No one would argue that games look and run better on better PC hardware generally.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Lack of any Black Friday sales for PS4 Pro is a real bummer, especially given the Xbox One X just launched.
    Target is doing a site-wide sale on Cyber Monday. That would put the Pro at $340.

https://corporate.target.com/press/releases/2017/11/target-reveals-cyber-week-savings

26904.png
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I already have a Pro, so I am resisting my famous urge to have the latest shiny thing at all times and saving the 500 bucks I'd spend on an X for a new TV. Going to be ordering a 65" LG OLED (likely the B7A) here in a couple of months and then I'll get an X.
    Oh! I -just- bought one of these and if you're considering it I'd recommend that you jump in and buy it NOW instead of waiting! The Black Friday price is $2300 (plus local sales tax) at most retailers until the 27th. I went with Best Buy because they offered 36 month interest-free financing. I set up an auto-pay for $50 per paycheck and it'll be magically and invisibly paid off in under two years.

26904.png
  • Options
    Target is doing a site-wide sale on Cyber Monday. That would put the Pro at $340.

https://corporate.target.com/press/releases/2017/11/target-reveals-cyber-week-savings

Or the Xbox One X at $425 :winky:

• Options
    I would, but I always pay cash for things like this (just a personal thing), and I don't have 2300 bucks right now. I'll likely wait for the 2018 model to hit then go to the Video Only store in my city and get them to price match the 2017 model from Amazon.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular

Your mileage may vary.

Yeah thanks for the feedback. I’m definitely in the Sony camp this time based on game choices. Like, on Xbox, I’d like to play Cuphead a bit, maybe get around to ReCore; everything else I’d assume to play on PS4. Honestly, I think my true dilemma lies in just trying to get this one family member to buy a PS4 so we can play together lol. I’m leaning toward the Pro right now, and I may just use my Xbox S for the odd game here and there. I plan on getting PUBG for the Bone when it drops next month to play with said family, so maybe that’ll be enough. :)

Play AC:O on an Xbox One X, then on a Pro. Its night and day.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

Gamestop has them for $50 off starting tomorrow

• Options

Gamestop has them for $50 off starting tomorrow

Best Buy also has Pros for $50 off today as well.