As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im not sure how I would even do the birds

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Im not sure how I would even do the birds

Stencil and spray?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Ive never made stencils!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ive never made stencils!

Good time to learn?

Like, with masking tape or something

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If you can fold paper, you can cut stencils into it.

Not that one has to do with the other, it's just you already have crafting experience.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Ive never made stencils!

just draw something, cut it out, and then throw the drawing away. Bam stencil

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Save the drawing, then you have two stencils.

Also you could invest in one of those robotic cutters. I have a Silhouette Cameo which I absolutely love. I most recently used it to cut out a Samus stencil to try out shirt bleaching. I've also used it to cut out papercraft terrain for D&D, among other things.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I cheated and used my stencils to color it digitally

These are the options I cut out
    iLa5m7h.jpg

Ive got complicated+bigger
    Vxja8wj.png

Block color+ small
    i22Pqb3.png

Third option being a weird sun dripping in the middle instead of all of this

Sorry for turning this into my project thread

Also I have no idea which to pick???

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Option 1 (complicated + bigger) looks pretty baller. Since I'm not the one who has to do the work I definitely would go with that one.

• Options
    I wonder how well cardstock handles spraypaint

Guess I gotta see if the stencils can actually survive

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I wonder how well cardstock handles spraypaint

Guess I gotta see if the stencils can actually survive

I would think pretty good? We used the tan file folders for doing multiple items at my old job. Curved surfaces required a bit more crafty taping, and I don't recall doing harsh curves like what you have.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Fx7JwdR.jpg

Hrm

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Gonna try hand painting details in? Otherwise im starting over. Ufortunatly my template ripped so I have to recut that as well ;-;

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    a thicker card stock might stop the bleeding?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I think the bleed is just from all the stuff cut out ment that it was not possible to get a good seal. Had too many raised pieces that were too small to tape

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Ahhhh yeah you're right that'd be hard to do without cutting it to meet the features.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Maybe if I had done it in section instead of all at once but that probably would have torn it and hindsite is 20/20 anyhow

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    1gR4g2e.jpg

And I guess that is the end of my WIP?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    yo

yooooooo

XHlc69pl.jpg
    i have no pocket jig nor confidence in aligning drawer slides horizontally, but swoon.
    blogpost
    instructions

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    yo

yooooooo

XHlc69pl.jpg
    i have no pocket jig nor confidence in aligning drawer slides horizontally, but swoon.
    blogpost
    instructions

You don't need a Kreg jig, just a drill and some dowel! Dowelling joints is both easier, cleaner, and stronger than pocket holes, it just takes a bit longer and requires more measuring. Also, aligning slides is easy if you own both a ruler and a pencil. You can do it!

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    your encouragement is sweet.

my comment was mostly flippant. but i don't have the space to work on it for the time it would take me, and knowing my capabilities and perfectionist tendencies, measuring and drilling consistently and accurately would be an anxiety challenge. i enjoy handcrafting, but i also use self-drilling screws when i'm building to fill a need; this is a project currently beyond my resources.

the boy and i have been wanting to take a class together, so i should check if any woodworking has opened up.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I made a thing! It's a thing which I made and probably counts as arts and or crafts!

It's also a thing I'm quite happy with!

3ICRail.jpg
    7R3N3kRl.jpg

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Great joerghb!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh that is so cool!!!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm not quite sure what I would use it for, but I'm also reasonably sure it will be claimed as a cat bed as soon as she sees it.

• Options
    You could put it on your table and put fruits in it?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I haven't had a chance to work on dollmaking stuff lately because of work and school. But I realized lately that what I really want to do is get a 1/3 size fashion doll, in particular one of Danny Choo's Smart Dolls (some links on that site potentially NSFW due to doll boobs), and just design and sell clothes for it.

Like basically I've always been into fashion, but have a lot harder time designing and sewing for the human form just because humans are not mannequins - our bodies are not exactly symmetrical, and things like big booties are harder to fit than a flat booty like a model would have. So ultimately, as much as I read about fashion, both historical and modern, the idea of designing for a real human just made me tired. An extra large fashion doll, though... man, I'd love that. I can try out so many crazy fashion ideas I've had in the past without actually trying to fit something to a less-than-perfect human form. It also means if I come up with an idea that requires 10 layers of fabric, I'm not looking at a purchase of 20 yards of fabric.

Of course there's still the problem of actually being able to afford one of the damn things. Just to get the basic doll is like $700.

Also a side note, Danny Choo is the son of Jimmy Choo, world famous shoe designer. As such the shoes of his dolls are all designed by his dad, which is pretty fun.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I have started and restarted and restarted and restarted knitting a scarf over and over AND OVER again the last week and it just isn't happening

I am so frustrated

I started off doing just a plain stockinette stitch which was going okay til at some point halfway through 10 rows I had switched from knit to purl without realizing, so I got angry and started over and went "hey, what if I start trying out this double stockinette instead (because at one point I want to have a little logo visible that I have either embroidered or blocked in)

Turns out what happens is I am bad at knitting, aaaaaaagh

Is there any way to embroider a logo onto plain stockinette that won't look like garbage on the back? I guess maybe I could do it by switching in colours...??? Since that seems to be a stitch I can manage at the very least...

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah I'd just do a colour change probably

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Duplicate stitching would be my bet, although im not sure it would look right from the back.

Double knitting can be done in such a way that it would give the effect you want, but it's a bit of a commitment to learn and takes a lot of yarn to do right.

The only way to get good at knitting is practice I'm afraid.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Duplicate stitching would be my bet, although im not sure it would look right from the back.

Double knitting can be done in such a way that it would give the effect you want, but it's a bit of a commitment to learn and takes a lot of yarn to do right.

The only way to get good at knitting is practice I'm afraid.

BUT I HATE PRACTICE

Yeah, this just isn't coming along as easy as crochet

I'll give colour switching a shot

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    new bottle opener prototype!

OXAR7lP.jpg?1

doing it this way is a lot harder than punching and drifting a hole and then making it round, but i really like the look

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    'nother bottle opener. i call this one The Swan

XRcvWGL.jpg?1

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    7MoTEmT.jpg?1

I was inspired by some MTG artwork from Kaladesh block this weekend and decided to try my hand at something with a lot of fiddly soldering.

My two "muses"
    6f7f1989a419092e07880bb8112815ad--zack-tiger.jpg
    29bddf6b85c645a58be09563641488c3--mtg-art-the-gathering.jpg

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I've jumped headlong into what I'll call 'research' for making doll clothes, because as much as I want to I can't just buy a $600 doll right now and start draping, so I've been getting inspiration from the fashion industry and saving those selections that speak to me. I've seriously got pages and pages documented just from my most recent searches, though I do want to try to find some older stuff that struck me in the past that I'd love to reproduce. Fashions have always delighted and haunted me, and I've always longed to reproduce them, but this is honestly the first time it's ever felt feasible (again because the size difference makes the cost and time investment much lower). Here are just a few of the designs I've thought I could either reproduce from scratch or put my own spin on:
    x50gWWL.png
    2wOYLri.png
    2lI76dD.png
    Mkf5gOd.png
    8KrJHS0.png
    FOp7MEY.png
    3K7d80P.png
    ov3EM09.jpg
    KgrVLmX.png

That chainmail belt the sharp-eyed will have noticed I showed an interest in reproducing in this very thread. In doll size I'm thinking something like one of these jewelry kits would be in order, but if any of ya'll who work in jewelry making have a suggestion of where to buy my links and tools feel free to post a link.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Chainmail for a doll... I'd advise against it (tiny links are super annoying) but ringlord might do for your needs if you really want to try. Beyond that what I'd very much suggest is that you get one of these (or a similar product) https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Donegan-OptiVISOR-with-35X-Lens/113199

When I was working with tiny links for my sister's necklace, this was a huge life/eyesight saver.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Chainmail for a doll... I'd advise against it (tiny links are super annoying) but ringlord might do for your needs if you really want to try.

Well, I'm already down for small work, it's part of what I think is cool about dolls (everything in miniature), but at least 1/3 size dolls are not as small as a barbie or even as small as the monster high dolls I worked with before.
    Beyond that what I'd very much suggest is that you get one of these (or a similar product) https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Donegan-OptiVISOR-with-35X-Lens/113199

When I was working with tiny links for my sister's necklace, this was a huge life/eyesight saver.

Cool, thanks!

• Options
    Warning, obsessive doll post ahead.

So I can't afford any of these yet, but I already have plans on what doll I'll get first when I can afford it. Starlight:

UD2fIkl.png
    aAODIUB.png

When I have the money saved up for it, I'm hoping to get an alternate hand pack, specifically for fashion posing since my ultimate goal is to design, photograph, and ultimately sell fashions designed for this doll:

EKYLzcz.png

I'm trying not to be too much of a doll nerd, but look at how gorgeously crafted those hands are. Ugh.

As part of my basic kit here I'd also want to get a pair of jeans and a long shirt, for showing off things like belts and purses that I might create, at least until I had a large enough stock of my own creations to use instead:

ZfTvNt0.png
    CBNYjyi.png

And that's just a starter set. I'd definitely like to get dolls with different skin tones. Moonlight would be my next doll choice:

74S4THi.png

I'm not the biggest fan of the silver hair, but I could always get her a brown or blonde wig to swap it out (modularity is one of the coolest things about these dolls). Or if I want to go there, I can decide to get into the wig making business after all. Wig making was the thing that put my work on pause on the Monster High dolls, I wasn't ready to put in the time needed to learn the wig making skill - but I am still interested in it, it's just something that'll take time to learn and perfect.

After that I'd get me a Sana for my "tea" doll. Just a side note on skin coloring labels within the store, Starlight's skin tone is labelled "milk", Moonlight's is called "cocoa" and Sana is "tea." Is it wrong that I really like drink labels for skin tone?

Anyway, third doll on my list:

98VREBR.png

Smart doll has also been getting into the licensed figure business as well. I haven't watched any new anime in forever, but I really like the one-of-a-kind look of some of the licensed stuff. Like I'm so annoyed that I don't have a limitless pile of wealth so I can pre-order this guy when they open up orders on this guy this week:

mih0nZJ.png

I don't watch Code Geass and I probably never will. I just really like the look of this doll. There's also the fact that as of right now there's only one guy doll in the Smart Doll store and I don't particularly like the look of it.

/obsessiveness over (for now)

• Options
    wait

does that doll have actual jean pockets?

that is ridiculous