As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm done routing!

just some chiseling, light wood filling and sanding, and applying a ton of tru-oil

and of course making another nut =p

8ien2fc7dbmx.jpg

oh and drilling the posts and jack/wiring channel

• Options
    getting so close now

the humbucker cavities are chisled out and the mounting rings fit. there is room to raise and lower them as will be required. the bridge is on the correct plane and can be adjusted as required

at this point, it needs 4 or 5 coats of tru-oil, a new (or shimmed) nut, the electric channel drilled out, and the covers/pick guard made.

then all I have to do is let my buddy wire it and pray to god I cut the scale correctly

c2cqk0l4hryu.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So exciting!

Also omg I didn't realize you had a trem bar on that bridge! That's nuts!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    it's a hybrid! you can take it off and lock it if you want =)

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    How are you running cable from the pickups to the control knobs? Do you have a channel routed in the back?
    Also looks amazing!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    How are you running cable from the pickups to the control knobs? Do you have a channel routed in the back?
    Also looks amazing!

thank you!

I've got an 18" x 3/8" dia. drill bit that I'll be drilling carefully through the entire body from the cable jack to the pickup switch!

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I am having serious difficulty sizing drawings for the headstock

anyone know any programs that will let me draw life size? my problem is that I can draw whatever but when I import it into paint.net it's not 1:1, it's 1:whateverthehell and paint.net sucks for measuring and scaling

I have 36 hours to get this portion done and I'm losing it!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2020
    Off the top of my head, some easy to use options:

Inkscape (free)
    Corel Draw (probably not free, I haven't checked, but might have a free trial)
    Fusion 360 (free for personal use)

All of these will let you draw and export images at real-world scales.

tynic on
  • Options
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Corel Draw does have a free trial! I used one when messing around with some designs for table top routers.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    laser didn't etch normal assed aluminum

ordered some with a fancy coating that should please god work

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

What wattage? I think our 100watt can only remove the anodizing on aluminium.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

What wattage? I think our 100watt can only remove the anodizing on aluminium.

ummmm

the wattage that a glowforge has! I'm praying this new aluminum will work.

the glowforge is awesome though! never seen it so easy to put an image on something and scale it =)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea the aluminum has to be anodized for the smaller lasers. The darker the better. With aluminum's heat conductive properties it takes a ton of juice to actually be able to cut it with a laser.

At an old manufacturer we used a table top laser to etch some aluminum parts, in red and black. The black was WAY easier to get a good etch on than the red. we usually had to do 2 passes on the red. This was years ago though and I have no idea the wattage of the laser. I do know the dumb ass guys running it would put their hands in it and give themselves temporary brands.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    in theory, I've purchased silver aluminum that the laser will burn black lines in. It's a product made by johnsons plastic called Laser-it.

I also bought a sheet of alumimark that purports to do the same thing

• Options
    Oh yeah, glowforge is pretty rad for friendly not needing to really learn the tool type stuff.
    We have lightburn for our laser and it's pretty nice. I was playing around with our laser the other night, showing it off to a buddy and from image search to thing burned onto wood it was like 5 minutes. I'm glad the turn around on a laser is nice. I felt like with the CNC it was more learning the tool than actually using the tool starting off. And even simple projects take like 20 minutes to go through.

If you can't get it to laser I should be able to do something on the CNC.
    I know you're time constrained, but should be able to work something out.

• Options
  • Options
    oh my god, the guitar is making guitar noises when plugged into an amp!!!!

I'll post pics soon

The action is all kinds of jacked up though sadly. I think I'm going to have to recess the bridge which is going to make the whole thing look like crap =/

hopefully eliminating the front studs and lowering the saddles will be enough, but I seriously doubt it

• Options
    https://youtu.be/O8uCaFgKwxY

that's my buddy playing the guitar that I BUILT!

and he wired

just have to make the covers, buy knobs that actually fit, figure out how to seriously lower the action, and put the final touches on.

but it sounds so damn good

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    AHHHHHITWORKS OH MY GOSH YAYAYYYYYAAYYYY

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Anyone particularly familiar with embroidery hoops, and 1) how perfectly round they are and 2) how well they hold their shape over time?

I ask because I need some more things like this, but the per-item cost is kinda ridiculous and they don't come in small enough sizes. Whereas for the fraction of the price, I can get something like these, and get more of them, in a large variety of sizes.

My only reservations are whether or not they're actually round as opposed to just-sorta-circular and whether or not they fall apart quickly.

Also, now that I think about it, whether the size is the measurement of the inner, middle, or outer circle.

Ayuda me?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Super fucking nice!!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Anyone particularly familiar with embroidery hoops, and 1) how perfectly round they are and 2) how well they hold their shape over time?

I ask because I need some more things like this, but the per-item cost is kinda ridiculous and they don't come in small enough sizes. Whereas for the fraction of the price, I can get something like these, and get more of them, in a large variety of sizes.

My only reservations are whether or not they're actually round as opposed to just-sorta-circular and whether or not they fall apart quickly.

Also, now that I think about it, whether the size is the measurement of the inner, middle, or outer circle.

Ayuda me?

I have a few different bamboo hoops for cross stitching, and while they FEEL like they're going to fall apart at a sneeze, they're rather strong and resilient, . And they are round, not oval. However I never use any of them anymore so I cant really speak to how they would hold shape after a long period of use. I switched to a lap frame a couple months after starting the hobby, which has increased my speed about 40% since I can use both hands for stitching, and I mostly work on very large pieces so a hoop wouldnt be as efficient. Still takes freaking forever to get a project done though

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have an embroidery hoop. I am trying to not remember that I have one because I really really really do not need another hobby with fibre craft. I don't. I still haven't gotten my spinning wheel operational yet!

But the thought of weaving some dishtowels in a fine cotton and then doing an embroidered border on them is very.... interesting to me.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    @Xaquin how's the action though?! I wanna see if you got it to a reasonable level.

It sounds really nice and looks amazing though.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    @Xaquin how's the action though?! I wanna see if you got it to a reasonable level.

It sounds really nice and looks amazing though.

oh when I say I need to lower it, I mean lower it a LOT

anything below the 12th fret is entirely unplayable. I'm going to have to unstring it, remove the bridge, and basically recess it probably a quarter inch. It's going to look so stupid, but I have no other real choice (well aside from breaking the neck off, and that ain't happening).

the measurement kahler sent with the bridge said it was adjustable from 1/2" up to almost 3/4" and down to almost 1/4". Since my fretboard is 1/4" I figured I'd be fine. The lowest I can get is 1/2" and that's with the front studs removed and the saddles as low as they can go.

the good news is that I measured the frets perfectly and the guitar is solid.

I hope to have the action problem fixed by friday and the covers finished by sunday. Hopefully it'll be ready for our 5 year anniversary the following wednesday

oh lordy

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Ayuda me?

embroidery hoops are very strong. I've used bamboo and plastic ones over the years, and I've never seen or heard of any losing their shape. In fact, people often display their finished hand work in the/a round hoop. My mom definitely has hoops from her grandmother. They're pretty durable. And they're definitely round. As far as measurements, I don't have one at hand to check, but I beliiiiieeeeve the measurement is from the seam between the two hoops to the other seam, if that makes sense.

• Options
    back to it

6q25m1mjgol7.jpg

sucks to essentially have to disassemble the whole thing, but that bridge needs to go way down =/

• Options
    On the one hand, yeah, that sucks.

On the other, you built it well-enough that you can actually do that without the whole thing falling apart, so well done!

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    It sucks that the bridge doesn't adjust as far as it claimed to!

(I don't know how guitars are put together, but that is what I took from your post.)

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I mean, you built a hella complex thing and only need to adjust the one thing to make it perfect.

Well done. Your friend looked very pleased in that video so I’m going with that as my reaction button choice. :biggrin:

• Options
    well it turns out I'm just fucked

I can't lower the bridge because the locking cam for the trem is adjusted on the side. fuck it. at this point all I have are parts. I am so fucking disappointed. this hunk of shit can go in the wood chipper for all I care. but since I have nothing else to give, I guess a shitty essentially unplayable guitar may be better than no guitar

I guess after I give it to her I'll take it to a professional to break the neck and set it differently so it'll play

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Aw no but I just made my post.

• Options
    Is there a way to drill out some space on the side so that you can still reach the cam?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    nope

I misunderstood the bridge dimensions and am paying for it now

hopefully it won't cost too much to have fixed professionally

live and learn I guess

Xaquin on
  • Options
    That is disappointing.

But look at that! look at what you did, the time, the effort, the new skills developed. that's an amazing achievement in and of itself and she's going to love it. You took the time and the energy to make something specifically for her. You didn't just go to the closest jewelry store the night before.

You are amazing, @Xaquin. seriously. I am so both excited for you and proud of your efforts. You honestly did good, buddy.

• Options
    thank you

I'm just frustrated is all

• Options
    and that's completely understandable, buddy! I feel your frustration with you. But don't lose complete sight of just how amazing you are.

• Options
    WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    The trem locking cam issue aside, if you recess the bridge another 1/4" or so, will you have a problem with the strings hitting the pickup?

If not, are there any other low profile bridge options available? I did a little Google searching (about a topic I know next to nothing about) and while I could find detailed size and installation specs for the Kahler bridges (all of which require at least 0.48" height fret board), I couldn't find similar information for other brands (e.g. Floyd Rose Low Profile). Obviously, buying another bridge after spending over $300 on one is not ideal, but...

If it comes to shimming the neck, is this something you need to have professionally done? All of the skills you have demonstrated across this project seem more than up to the task.

I agree with lonelyahava. No matter what, in my experience, your girlfriend will treasure this gift. The sheer amount of effort and passion you poured into this project are far more important than a 1/4" error.
    Furthermore, your first custom build was a cigar box guitar of "dubious quality." The leap in skill and quality here is amazing. I for one can't wait to see what you do next.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Windburn wrote: »
    The trem locking cam issue aside, if you recess the bridge another 1/4" or so, will you have a problem with the strings hitting the pickup?

If not, are there any other low profile bridge options available? I did a little Google searching (about a topic I know next to nothing about) and while I could find detailed size and installation specs for the Kahler bridges (all of which require at least 0.48" height fret board), I couldn't find similar information for other brands (e.g. Floyd Rose Low Profile). Obviously, buying another bridge after spending over $300 on one is not ideal, but...

If it comes to shimming the neck, is this something you need to have professionally done? All of the skills you have demonstrated across this project seem more than up to the task.

I agree with lonelyahava. No matter what, in my experience, your girlfriend will treasure this gift. The sheer amount of effort and passion you poured into this project are far more important than a 1/4" error.
    Furthermore, your first custom build was a cigar box guitar of "dubious quality." The leap in skill and quality here is amazing. I for one can't wait to see what you do next.

The strings wouldn't have hit the pickups (they're adjustable edit: the pickups are adjustable that is).

Shimming the neck is absolutely something I can do .... breaking the neck (ungluing it without destroying the neck pocket that is) is something I can not do at all. Both because it's delicate and because I don't have the tools or know how.

I actually thought about buying a different bridge, but it's already drilled and routed and retrofitting a different one would be difficult at best

thanks for the encouragement everyone it means a lot. I really thought I had it nailed. Next time =)

Xaquin on