As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The paella IS the rice. I don't know what dish that method would make but it would be some kind of fried rice thing j guess.

I mean work with what you have, if you have shelled prawns just use em, while remembering they'll take less time to cook than shell-on. It's not gonna ruin the dish or anything.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Friend of mine works in the food industry as head of sales for a small all natural beef company. He's apparently in town for some kind of rising stars chefs gala tonight and a comp ticket just showed up in my inbox with the note "16 courses and open bar. be here at 7."

This will be how I die, my friends. Think well of me.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Friend of mine works in the food industry as head of sales for a small all natural beef company. He's apparently in town for some kind of rising stars chefs gala tonight and a comp ticket just showed up in my inbox with the note "16 courses and open bar. be here at 7."

Bring the bear claws, you may need them

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

"Are you not entertained?"

• Options
    KosenjouKosenjou Registered User regular
    Is it still cool to post food pics and experiences from amazing restaurants in this thread? Went to El Ideas this past Saturday for a birthday celebration and it was some of the best food I have ever tried. If you are in, or passing through Chicago, go check it out. http://www.elideas.com Sorry for only having pics of a few courses, the fact I could hang out in the kitchen and watch them work meant I spent more time trying to steal ideas than I did photographing.

Pictures: imgur.com/a/FZ1et

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Feel free to post all of the pictures ever.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made the Tunisian dish shakshuka for dinner tonight, it's basically poached eggs on top of tomatoes, onions, and spices. Tasty!

zNF4Uok.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Recipe please?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    it's no the same one as Sal's, especially since it doesn't have onions but I really like this Ottolenghi one

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/shakshuka-with-red-peppers-and-cumin-56389454

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I made fresh paneer last night

Seems a bit grainy and flavorless

Fortunately, the butter sauce I made is incredible

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    yo, any of you guys know a good place I can get a stainless steel or aluminium prep table, preferably small and on wheels so I can move it around my modest sized kitchen as needed? Maybe also with some racks or shelves beneath the surface?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    yo, any of you guys know a good place I can get a stainless steel or aluminium prep table, preferably small and on wheels so I can move it around my modest sized kitchen as needed? Maybe also with some racks or shelves beneath the surface?

like this?

https://www.amazon.com/TRINITY-EcoStorage-Stainless-Wheels-48-Inch/dp/B007W5Y91C

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yeah like that, but I really only maybe need a 24" one, I can't seem to find anything that small.

Maybe if I look for something in a different material. It's probably be cheaper that way too.

• Options
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yeah that doesn't seem bad.

Might be something to save up for.

Or I could get something smaller with a wood top for like 20 dollars less, I'll have to think about it.

I mostly just have a storage problem in my kitchen, too many dishes and utensils and small appliances and not enough storage room for all of it. Hell I tend to keep my sandwhich bread out on the kitchen table.

So I rarely have any real space for prep or cutting.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Yeah my last kitchen was a tiny ass galley kitchen with like, all of 1 whole cabinet's worth of prep space. I know that feel. I used to keep my bread over my fridge in a breadbox. Use my dining room table for prep. It was a nightmare.

I looked for a normal sized kitchen before I moved last time. I don't cook a lot but I need at least my wingspan's worth of space when I'm doing simple stuff.

bowen on
  • Options
    I think I can get something like this maybe and kill two birds with one stone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPQFLA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1T1G3E7I0H9SM&colid=EZKXP46PVP1Z

• Options
    I think I can get something like this maybe and kill two birds with one stone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPQFLA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1T1G3E7I0H9SM&colid=EZKXP46PVP1Z

I have the walmart version of that.

It sucks as an actual prep surface.

• Options
    I'm used to like 1/4th of my small kitchen table or even less space of my counter top to try to do stuff on so it'd still be an improvement I think.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Dear cooking thread, I've started getting a half share from a local CSA....

What do I do with beets? I've figured out collards and chards and kale, even kohlrabi, but beets man, I just don't know.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

What do I do with beets? I've figured out collards and chards and kale, even kohlrabi, but beets man, I just don't know.

Roasted beet ravioli!

Roasted beet humus!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    In American cuisine, you can pretty much think of a beet as a sweeter form of carrot. They're fairly popular grated onto salads raw, and they're very tasty roasted. Just brush them with oil and roast them on a cookie sheet at 375F for 45 minutes to an hour (they should be tender all the way through when you poke 'em with a fork.) Then you can slice them up and experiment with them in any dish that normally calls for carrots or sweet potatoes.

Australians put them on hamburgers, but I'm not sure that's behavior we want to encourage.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I love beets so much. Try steaming them till fork tender, peel them, cube them up small, then toss with minced garlic, salt, and 2:1:1 oil:balsamic:lemon juice.

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    Vinegar, olive oil and garlic make anything good. Yum.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Dear cooking thread, I call upon you once again

So I found a can of sweetened condensed milk while checking and restocking the cabinet, and I though "hey, this is something toffee-y waiting to happen"
    I've used the boil-the-can-on-the-stove method before and it worked completely fine.

BUT
    Here is what worries me. Since then, I got a new oven in here, and it's induction-based. Which means that it could and probably would heat the can directly, unless I find a way to, I don't know, suspend it in the water? On the one hand, yeah guess what, the can gets hot anyway, but the fear of an exploding can probably never goes away for me. Any thoughts or experience?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    @Uriel - Check to see if your local mall has a place called The Container Store. You can pick various surfaces and styles for a portable work surface in the kitchen and get it basically any height you want, and get doodads to attach to it, add shelves below the main surface, or even get multiple things to change the top out with, from butcher block to stainless steel to plastic. They're basically Furniture Legos. They're pretty pricey, but we basically bought a portable kitchen island for about $200. It's not the highest quality, but it's good enough to get the job done and sturdy enough that I can lean into it and it doesn't bow.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

So I found a can of sweetened condensed milk while checking and restocking the cabinet, and I though "hey, this is something toffee-y waiting to happen"
    I've used the boil-the-can-on-the-stove method before and it worked completely fine.

BUT
    Here is what worries me. Since then, I got a new oven in here, and it's induction-based. Which means that it could and probably would heat the can directly, unless I find a way to, I don't know, suspend it in the water? On the one hand, yeah guess what, the can gets hot anyway, but the fear of an exploding can probably never goes away for me. Any thoughts or experience?

you can do the same thing by just putting the contents in a small saucepan and bringing it to a simmer for a long time, or apparently by using a Crock-Pot instead of the stove top

• Options

Roasted beetroot risotto with cilantro & blood orange side salad.

• Options
    Parboil, peel, then wrap them up in a foil parcel with some shallots, pancetta garlic cloves and sage, then leave that over the back of the bbq while you cook your other stuff. Turn the parcel every 5 mins or so.
    Don't wrap the parcel too tight, you want smoke to get in.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Yeah like that, but I really only maybe need a 24" one, I can't seem to find anything that small.

Maybe if I look for something in a different material. It's probably be cheaper that way too.

If you're still looking for a stainless table, I actually had to resort to Ebay since Amazon, etc didn't have the sizes I was looking for. I did find a restaurant supplier who had a good price on the size I wanted 36x18 (though they had many others). I believe it was L&L restaurant supply.

One nice thing though about them is that they are strong, and can be a surprising amount of storage if you make a little modification. I took a closet/shower tension rod of the appropriate size and cranked it up underneath the table itself (added a bit of Gorilla Glue as a stabilizer) and added some hooks. I was able to hang almost all of my cookware underneath, including a fairly heavy stainless stockpot and Matfer carbon steel skillet (not pictured here though).

PGwZFTB.jpg

Edit: Here's a smaller one, I bet you could add some castor wheels to it pretty easily. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x-30-Stainless-Steel-Work-Prep-Table-Commercial-Kitchen-Restaurant-New-/182419014528?hash=item2a79054380:g:A~QAAOSw241YWeA5

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »

BUT

you can do the same thing by just putting the contents in a small saucepan and bringing it to a simmer for a long time, or apparently by using a Crock-Pot instead of the stove top

Sure, boiling the can is sooo much more convenient though. Mmmmhhh I'm not gonna risk explosions this time and use a saucepan. I'll have to figure out a way to raise the can enough so that it doesn't get caught the induction field for next time, I suppose.
    and get shit out of the way in case things go south

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Is the can magnetic? If it isn't, it isn't a problem.

Otherwise I'd still say, if it does explode if you keep the lid on the pot it won't do much damage.

And would be very exciting.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We've had at least one illness in our house every weekend since Easter. It's kinda been bullshit. But because of that, we've done as minimal cooking as possible.

But yesterday was my first Friday that I didn't feel like death, either from exhaustion or being sick. So after cleaning the house and picking the baby up from daycare, I was actually in the mood to cook.

A farm raised venison roast, seared in the pen and then roasted in the oven until medium rare.

Oven roasted veggies: onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and Brussels sprouts.

Was so very good.

Veggies were tossed in rice bran oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, thyme, and sage. Then roasted at about 180*C for 45 minutes, then another 16 minutes with the seared meat.

I love roasted Brussels. They're so sweet after a while in the oven.

I so very much missed cooking.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    QmwKKV6l.jpg
    I made hodgepodge breakfast for dinner! Fried egg, some crusty bread, half of a boudin link, sliced apple, balsamic tomatoes, black beans, and a cup of black coffee

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Parboil, peel, then wrap them up in a foil parcel with some shallots, pancetta garlic cloves and sage, then leave that over the back of the bbq while you cook your other stuff. Turn the parcel every 5 mins or so.

I still got some left and I like the sound of this, with regular bacon though I ain't a fancy boy.

Do you blanch before peeling or no?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So tonight is leftover venison, but tomorrow is soup night!

I picked up a "soup pack" of veggies from our grocery store. Parsnips, onions, carrots, celery, and swede (turnip/rutabaga/whatever). Gonna combine that with my small waxy potatoes, some chicken chunks, and corn. Gonna make a chowder.

I'm super excited.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

I still got some left and I like the sound of this, with regular bacon though I ain't a fancy boy.

Do you blanch before peeling or no?

Literally the first word!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    A farm raised venison roast, seared in the pen

Woah, brutal.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this weekend I baked cinnamon raisin bread for the lady

which I don't really like very much so I also took the same recipe and replaced all the sweet stuff with a mix of shallots, garlic, dill, and olive oil

it all turned out pretty good

This discussion has been closed.