[Superheroes] By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, what a savings.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I think they could have set a few things up for sequels pretty easily without being super obvious. Like having
    Gordon Godfrey be the leader of the Superman worshipers or as a television personality stirring up people one way or the other. Or having Luthor working with a weapons dealer named Kanto.

KingofMadCows on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Do you mean the bit with Caps shield or Mjolnir?

The shield thing was goofy as hell but ultimately was just a gag

And I would definitely agree about the Mjolnir thing if it wasn't an after credits stinger

A lot of the glaring problem with the dream sequence is that it is right in the middle of the flick

More along the weird stuff in regards to SHIELD and Tony which never felt much more than half baked to me.
    How so?

Admittedly I am probably looking back more fondly since Howard and SHIELD's relationship has been more well defined in the years since then, but outside of the really dumb plot of finding a new element it seemed to just be "hey Tony your dad helped found SHIELD, surprise, and we're keeping an eye on you you dumbass"

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I actually found BvS strangely enjoyable. Not good or recommendable. But it's the kind of ineptitude that I find oddly enthralling.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
    Honestly what would have worked fine in BvS
    Is having Flash show up, no weird Future Batman, and give a more clear warning that ultimately leads to Bruce calling a truce with Clark

And ideally this would also have Lex's contact with aliens be more overt than just HEY THE BELL HAS BEEN RUNG

Flash is recognizable enough at this point that having him show up from a dystopic future to warn Batman before being yanked back into the future wouldn't be too jarring as long as it directly contributed to the resolution of the film, instead of vaguely hinting at and setting up a movie that comes out years from now wrapped in an extra confusing double dream sequence

CYpGAPn.png

And I would definitely agree about the Mjolnir thing if it wasn't an after credits stinger

A lot of the glaring problem with the dream sequence is that it is right in the middle of the flick

More along the weird stuff in regards to SHIELD and Tony which never felt much more than half baked to me.
    How so?

Admittedly I am probably looking back more fondly since Howard and SHIELD's relationship has been more well defined in the years since then, but outside of the really dumb plot of finding a new element it seemed to just be "hey Tony your dad helped found SHIELD, surprise, and we're keeping an eye on you you dumbass"

It felt like it was only there to remind me of the after credit stinger of Iron Man. But yeah. The new element stuff was absurdly dumb for me. Especially since it was trying to be a surrogate of Tony's alcoholism arc/

I also don't watch ABC Marvel, and kind of only give a flip about half of First Avenger, so I have zero ties to Howard Stark.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I see a lot of spoiler boxes, but all I hear is BWWAAAAMMMM

steam_sig.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    A preview for Spider-Women: Alpha's up with a couple of pages down in the box.
    SWOMENA2016001-int3-1-c5103.jpg
    SWOMENA2016001-int3-2-bb335.jpg

That art is less than ideal

CYpGAPn.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Those Dutch angles actually make me feel disoriented

IKknkhU.gif
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

How so?

It felt like it was only there to remind me of the after credit stinger of Iron Man. But yeah. The new element stuff was absurdly dumb for me. Especially since it was trying to be a surrogate of Tony's alcoholism arc/

I also don't watch ABC Marvel, and kind of only give a flip about half of First Avenger, so I have zero ties to Howard Stark.

Iron Man 2 was a real mess of a movie all around. There were the threads of two or three good movies in there but they were all different materials and didn't really fit when spun together.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    CBR also has a preview for the next issue of BOOM! Studios' Power Rangers comic. Again, a couple of pages in the box below.
    PowerRangers-002-PRESS-3-64596.jpg
    PowerRangers-002-PRESS-4-ff31b.jpg

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I actually really dig that Spider-Women art in theory, but it feels very posed as is

Straightzi wrote: »
    I actually really dig that Spider-Women art in theory, but it feels very posed as is
    The coloring is nice but the actual characters are

Nooooot good

CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2016
    I think the only thing that prevents me from digging that art is the poor face work.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Honestly I think the parts where they're sitting in the restaurant are fine, but the parts where they're on the roof look really awkwardly posed.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The best part of Spider-Women is the alt cover:
    SWOMENA2016001-DC21-23a2f.jpg

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The dream stuff in BvS makes the Thor equivalent in AoU look like an Oscar worthy short film

edited March 2016
    To be clear
    Batman has the bad dream, wakes up, Flash comes in and screams a bunch of incoherent nonsense, and then Batman wakes up from that dream

Etchwarts on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I saw BvS earlier today.

My mind couldn't help but continually note what and how scenes could be re-edited to improve the movie. I can't remember them all, but off the top of my head:
    Shorten/remove the "parents are dead" flashbacks.

Remove Parademon nightmare.

Cut down some of the goofier Luthor ravings.

"Do you know the oldest lie in America, Senator?" happens twice. Remove one.

How many Superman glory shots do you need, really?

Also:
    "The work day is over, so there's almost no one in that district." and "Striker Island is uninhabited." seems really overt. I mean, it's good, but really overt.

If I had to choose between Batman's no-guns and no-killing rule, I'd keep the no-killing rule. Unfortunately, he violates both. But I can deal with a different version of Batman, I guess.

This Lex would be fine if he took some of the mannerisms down a notch.

All in all, this is one of those movies I'm unlikely to watch all the way through again. Instead, I'm just going to watch the highlight reel.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I saw BvS earlier today.

My mind couldn't help but continually note what and how scenes could be re-edited to improve the movie. I can't remember them all, but off the top of my head:

Also:
    "The work day is over, so there's almost no one in that district." and "Striker Island is uninhabited." seems really overt. I mean, it's good, but really overt.

If I had to choose between Batman's no-guns and no-killing rule, I'd keep the no-killing rule. Unfortunately, he violates both. But I can deal with a different version of Batman, I guess.

All in all, this is one of those movies I'm unlikely to watch all the way through again, instead just watching a highlight reel.

Yeah I'm only going to watch the fight scenes.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I saw BvS earlier today.

Also:

All in all, this is one of those movies I'm unlikely to watch all the way through again, instead just watching a highlight reel.

With a couple of exceptions, the fight scenes are actually super bland! The Superman vs Batman stuff had me practically checking the time to see if the movie was almost over

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I saw BvS earlier today.

Also:

With a couple of exceptions, the fight scenes are actually super bland! The Superman vs Batman stuff had me practically checking the time to see if the movie was almost over

yeah other than Batman taking out the goons in the warehouse, which is very clearly inspired by the Arkham games but even more brutal because Snyder, the action in the movie is either boring (title fight) or mostly an incoherent cg mess (doomsday fight)

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Honestly that nightmare isn't the worst tie in sequence BY FAR.
    Bruce Wayne using messenger to show Wonder Woman the Justice League is right there as far as badly done set ups go.
    Honestly, I would have probably given all of the teases a pass if at the very end of the movie, we get a glimpse of what Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash are up to while Bruce and Diana are at Clark's funeral.

It would've been way better than "I found a bunch of surveillance footage that Lex was somehow competent enough to assemble despite being batshit crazy, let me attach this to an e-mail that could easily be traced by an untrustworthy third party."

EDIT: Wait, hold on... how did he get Diana's e-mail in the first place???

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    So I finished all of Peter David's X-Factor (except for All-New) and I have to say I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be an article or an interview with him that mentions how deeply rooted the story is in suicide. Practically every character in that book either kills themselves or wants to kill themselves at some point. I'd go so far as to say it's even the main theme of the run.

Honestly that nightmare isn't the worst tie in sequence BY FAR.
    Bruce Wayne using messenger to show Wonder Woman the Justice League is right there as far as badly done set ups go.
    Honestly, I would have probably given all of the teases a pass if at the very end of the movie, we get a glimpse of what Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash are up to while Bruce and Diana are at Clark's funeral.

It would've been way better than "I found a bunch of surveillance footage that Lex was somehow competent enough to assemble despite being batshit crazy, let me attach this to an e-mail that could easily be traced by an untrustworthy third party."

EDIT: Wait, hold on... how did he get Diana's e-mail in the first place???

He's Batman.

But yeah, no, there were two or three scenes that felt like after credits teases just dropped randomly into the movie.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Today I read the second trade of the new Thor, which is called Who Holds the Hammer?

God damn that's a good book, I love her so much it's so good

dN0T6ur.png
    I read all the issues of the new Thor that are available on Unlimited. It's not enough.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

How so?

You should check out Agent Carter.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We don't have a date for new mutants, right?

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I hope Maisie Williams can do an outrageous scottish accent
    We don't have a date for new mutants, right?

no but we have a ton of Fox dates with no movies attached

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Hi, I'm now gonna dump all the dumb joke names I just thought of for the ridiculous minion in the latest Arrow
    Notyellowjacket
    Nicolas Cage
    Eddie Izzard
    The Pain
    Stan Beeman
    Jerry Seinfeld
    Buzz the Honey Nut Cheerios Mascot

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Man there is so much weird stuff in phase one in retrospect

Like how the details of the super soldier program are classified in incredible hulk and blonsky doesn't recognize it but there's a public museum exhibit about it in Cap 2

I mean maybe that only got declassified after avengers

But I do like to my being irreverent with the cap shield replica because he doesn't like cap

PNk1Ml4.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I read all the issues of the new Thor that are available on Unlimited. It's not enough.

Could buy the trades! volume 2 just hit! Or be even cooler and grab the singles! Comixology is waiting for yooou!

Rainfall wrote: »

Could buy the trades! volume 2 just hit! Or be even cooler and grab the singles! Comixology is waiting for yooou!

Don't tempt me, I can't justify paying for Unlimited and trades.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Man there is so much weird stuff in phase one in retrospect

Like how the details of the super soldier program are classified in incredible hulk and blonsky doesn't recognize it but there's a public museum exhibit about it in Cap 2

I mean maybe that only got declassified after avengers

But I do like to my being irreverent with the cap shield replica because he doesn't like cap

People knew about Captain America. They may not have known he was juiced up on an experimental formula.

Also the exhibit might have only been made after Steve came back.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also I don't know if the Hulk is the best title to use for continuity hiccups

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Ahh yes, Trump's less known second book.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »

Ahh yes, Trump's less known second book.

You're fired.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.