Options

[Superheroes] By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, what a savings.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Did that Shang-Chi rumor ever pan out?
    Not yet, no

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    It would be pretty dang cool if The Defenders also had Misty and Colleen on the team

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm hesitant to believe any casting announcements/rumours today.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm hesitant to believe any casting announcements/rumours today.

That's way too "nothing" of an announcement to be a joke. Like, it's cool and kind of exciting, but it's not exactly a headline.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Plus, Colleen was already soft-confirmed by the same casting call that gave away Davos.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular

I won't lie, I've got mixed feelings about this.

• Options
    Gatsby wrote: »

I'd love to hear them. I don't know much about the character or the actress.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sebastian Stan still has my favorite trash-talk towards DC.
    "Yeah, I’m sitting here and I’m listening to you and I’m thinking, “Do I want to fire some shots at DC right now, at Zack Snyder?” I read some of those comments where he said something about Batman and Superman, I can’t remember where I read that, somewhere… Something about, “It’s not going to be your flavor-of-the-week Ant-Man.” And I was like, “Oh thanks, Zack. That’s great. Way to do something original.”"

"But I would say we’re still making something very original in our own way. I mean, the Russos are coming in and taking something people are used to and they’re shaping it up and changing it in a very different way. They’re not trying to mimic a better Christopher Nolan movie or something like that."

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

On the one hand, cool. I like Henwick and it's nice to see another East Asian actress land a major role. However I'm personally still not over their casting decision for Iron Fist himself. That, plus the fact that while Colleen has a Chinese name her entire character's backstory revolves her Japanese ancestry (samurai and daimyo and ninjas, etc.). Now normally I'd think that they could do something interesting with a mixed background, that struggle of cultural identity especially between two of Asia's major powers, but I frankly just don't trust them to.

It doesn't help as well that Henwick's casting is another case of them probably not really caring all that much about actual differences in race and heritage, considering the fact that she's Singaporean Chinese. It doesn't seem like a lot to others, some consider it similar to casting a Brit to play an American, but this matters a fair amount as so many East Asian races are treated as interchangeable as is.

I want to be happily surprised, but while it's not the same people behind Daredevil, my faith just isn't all that high with regards to how they'll treat Asian characters in Iron Fist. The surface level vague Asian mysticism and stereotypical aura surrounding Kung-fu and martial arts and that whole region's combined history and folklore may have worked decades ago, but at this point I expect more especially if that's still going to be the core of this series.

Again, I want them to prove me wrong, but I doubt they will.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I think if you have a problem with magic kung-fu on a base level then you're going to have a problem with Iron Fist no matter what they do

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    "Yeah, I’m sitting here and I’m listening to you and I’m thinking, “Do I want to fire some shots at DC right now, at Zack Snyder?” I read some of those comments where he said something about Batman and Superman, I can’t remember where I read that, somewhere… Something about, “It’s not going to be your flavor-of-the-week Ant-Man.” And I was like, “Oh thanks, Zack. That’s great. Way to do something original.”"

"But I would say we’re still making something very original in our own way. I mean, the Russos are coming in and taking something people are used to and they’re shaping it up and changing it in a very different way. They’re not trying to mimic a better Christopher Nolan movie or something like that."

the most fun thing to me about this quote is that stan isn't even in ant-man

I like to imagine that the actors are steadily identifying with particular brands in the same way fans would, although that probably isn't the case for most of them

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Furu wrote: »
    I think if you have a problem with magic kung-fu on a base level then you're going to have a problem with Iron Fist no matter what they do

I don't have a problem with magic Kung-fu at all. I have a problem with it being essentially a vehicle for stereotyping and whatnot when it's produced in the West.

• Options

On the one hand, cool. I like Henwick and it's nice to see another East Asian actress land a major role. However I'm personally still not over their casting decision for Iron Fist himself. That, plus the fact that while Colleen has a Chinese name her entire character's backstory revolves her Japanese ancestry (samurai and daimyo and ninjas, etc.). Now normally I'd think that they could do something interesting with a mixed background, that struggle of cultural identity especially between two of Asia's major powers, but I frankly just don't trust them to.

It doesn't help as well that Henwick's casting is another case of them probably not really caring all that much about actual differences in race and heritage, considering the fact that she's Singaporean Chinese. It doesn't seem like a lot to others, some consider it similar to casting a Brit to play an American, but this matters a fair amount as so many East Asian races are treated as interchangeable as is.

I want to be happily surprised, but while it's not the same people behind Daredevil, my faith just isn't all that high with regards to how they'll treat Asian characters in Iron Fist. The surface level vague Asian mysticism and stereotypical aura surrounding Kung-fu and martial arts and that whole region's combined history and folklore may have worked decades ago, but at this point I expect more especially if that's still going to be the core of this series.

Again, I want them to prove me wrong, but I doubt they will.

Thanks. I definitely see where you're coming from and would share your apprehension about them pulling it off well, given, well, basically everything that's been made by western media up to this point.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Guys did you know that Hawkgirl used to be a barista?

sig.gif
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The coulson

the most fun thing to me about this quote is that stan isn't even in ant-man

I like to imagine that the actors are steadily identifying with particular brands in the same way fans would, although that probably isn't the case for most of them

I imagine they do. My hear guys spend a lot of their time doing these movies. The same faces over and over and the avengers crew has expressed a clear fondness for each other.

Also even if it's an attack on antman what Snyder was really calling out were the marvel movies in general.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The multi-part teaser picture for the Spider-Man event Dead No More is complete. I'm sure some of you had a good guess who was in the missing middle portion.
    ASM-ad-13c52.jpg

The event's said by Marvel EIC Axel Alonso to be like Spider-Verse in that most of the Spider-titles will take part of it.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    The multi-part teaser picture for the Spider-Man event Dead No More is complete. I'm sure some of you had a good guess who was in the missing middle portion.
    ASM-ad-13c52.jpg

The event's said by Marvel EIC Axel Alonso to be like Spider-Verse in that most of the Spider-titles will take part of it.

Well considering there are like nearly a dozen Spidey titles they could release the whole thing in one month.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I hope in whatever form Misty Knight appears she keeps her bionic arm.

I also hope that the Chris Claremont story where Misty and Colleen are captured by a drug lord and injected with heroin until they are addicted, but Misty isn't addicted because they've been injecting the heroin into her robot arm is NOT adapted.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Thank you, Owen"previews"ashi

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Wait wait wait

Where the FUCK is Ben Reilly in that teaser image?

• Options
    Keith wrote: »

No prob.
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Wait wait wait

Kaine's already there representing the Scarlet Spider brand. That or maybe clones simply don't have souls in Marvel.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Unacceptable

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I thought the last time he was brought to life Ben Reilly didn't die? Didn't he like retire and is running the coffee shop?

edit: only in the comics thread can you use phrases like " The last time he was brought back to life"

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    FUCK YES PROWLER!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    FUCK YES PROWLER!

Prowler's not much of a surprise since he's become a part of the post-SW supporting cast.

• Options

No prob.
    Wait wait wait

Kaine's already there representing the Scarlet Spider brand. That or maybe clones simply don't have souls in Marvel.

That was my first thought, too, but Kaine is a clone.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Taking about clones, what happened to Ultimate Jessica Drew?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

The same thing that happened to the rest of the Ultimate Universe! Ba-zing!

Seriously though after going on the run in USM she appeared in Ultimate Doom taking down random Corporations that were pursuing immoral research. In Hickmans Ultimates she is drafted to the Ultimates and its awesome but she basically never does anything. She gives Miles her blessing and helps him out and then has a small part in the Galactus storyline and is on the New Ultimates team made up of teenaged Heroes.

It goes nowhere and now the Ultimate Universe is gone.

Man, you don't realize how many dang false starts the Ultimate Universe had until to trace a characters history...

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Maybe she'll show up in Web Warriors.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

The same thing that happened to the rest of the Ultimate Universe! Ba-zing!

Seriously though after going on the run in USM she appeared in Ultimate Doom taking down random Corporations that were pursuing immoral research. In Hickmans Ultimates she is drafted to the Ultimates and its awesome but she basically never does anything. She gives Miles her blessing and helps him out and then has a small part in the Galactus storyline and is on the New Ultimates team made up of teenaged Heroes.

It goes nowhere and now the Ultimate Universe is gone.

Man, you don't realize how many dang false starts the Ultimate Universe had until to trace a characters history...

It was relaunched 3 times in 5 years. If not for Ultimate Spider-Man, I think they would have snuffed it long ago.

• Options
    edited April 2016

If that happened nothing of value would have been lost when they ended the universe.

I mean Kitty Pryde was cool but mostly for becoming a freedom fighter leader and they had already ended that.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

No prob.
    Wait wait wait

I thought Kaine was still alive.

Though, according to Venom series, when X-23 showed up during a Mephisto arc, clones do in fact have souls.

• Options

No prob.
    Wait wait wait

I thought Kaine was still alive.

Though, according to Venom series, when X-23 showed up during a Mephisto arc, clones do in fact have souls.

Hmmm. You might be right. I remember him sacrificing himself or something at the end of Spider-Verse, but I think his fate was actually left unclear.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant. She had a reasonably sized role during *shudder* Spider-Verse, but she hasn't appeared in any of the big team shots after SW. Even Anya got screen time there!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So in the wake of all the criticism over Batman Vee Superman Colon Dawn of Justice, I decided to go back and look at some old movies

There's been a lot of talk about specific interpretations of the characters and what's wrong with them and what's right about other ones, and it got me thinking: Michael Keaton killed people as Batman. Were those movies also bad? I mean I remember a period where I dismissed them, but I couldn't remember if that was because they were bad movies or bad Batman movies or if I was just in that particular teenage period where things I thought were awesome when I was younger were patently not awesome

Well, I watched Batman tonight. The first one, from 1989. And you know what? It was totally watchable!

Now, it's very obviously a Tim Burton joint, and Batman does totally kill at least one person on screen (and is likely responsible for at least a dozen other deaths) so it is a very different interpretation of Batman... but there's a lot they get right. Michael Keaton is appropriately menacing as Batman and his version of Bruce Wayne is a pretty weird guy, but it also feels like a lived-in performance. He's not perfect. He makes mistakes. In private he's quiet and thoughtful. Pensive, even. He's not awkward, socially, but he is odd, and a bit cold. He even tries to save at least one criminal from a fatal fall! All very Batman qualities, I would say

As a movie, it's also a lot more charming than I remember! I don't know how it was received when it first released, but there's a very real, palpable vein of camp running through the whole thing. It's not Adam West, and they made great pains to make that clear to people when the movie was being made and coming out, but it is intensely theatrical, and operates on a lighter, funnier level than I remember--probably because I was like four when I saw it and the whole thing seemed deathly serious (as did the Adam West show, of course). There's a ton of cheesy-but-sort-of-cool fights, little bits of humor, great little music cues (and I don't mean the Prince songs which only play when Joker is blasting them from a giant boombox but those are fun too) and a ton of great visuals and atmosphere, including some of the most adorable miniatures I've seen in some time

I guess what I was wondering to begin with was "is the concept of Batman killing guys what drove some people away from BvS? do people just want really specific interpretations of this character? can you make a good Batman movie where he kills some guys deliberately?"

And the answer is yeah, totally. It's not a great movie, and it's not what I would consider "definitive" (though I think it's a fairly decent encapsulation of that Batman comic book period post-Adam West and pre-Frank Miller) but it's a totally watchable, charming, entertaining little movie that isn't overwhelmingly dark or even necessarily driven by being "cool." It is a Batman comic book as filtered through a very unique filmmaker's vision, and while that's not really Classic Batman™, it still carries enough of that character and enough of the world around him to feel like Batman even as he blows up an entire chemical factory with the Batmobile

It's definitely more a style-piece than a character-piece, though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Reflecting these past couple of years has brought me to the conclusion that I defiantly think Michael Keaton was both the best Bruce Wayne & Batman.

Each are so vividly different from each other but connected at the same time.

He's the only actor portraying Batman/Bruce Wayne where I could illustrate a solid Venn Diagram of personality traits.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Reflecting these past couple of years has brought me to the conclusion that I defiantly think Michael Keaton was both the best Bruce Wayne & Batman.

He's the only actor portraying Batman/Bruce Wayne where I could illustrate a solid Venn Diagram of personality traits.

are you strictly talking live action or are you including voice actors?

I ask because I'm genuinely curious.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Tamin wrote: »

are you strictly talking live action or are you including TAS? Honest question.

Live Action.

Although if I am being fair, I couldn't actually consider a voice acting in competition with a live action actor.

Sorry, but actually having to film the fight scenes is different from shrugging/huffing into a microphone...

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I think there's definitely a case to be made for that, but at the same time, you could argue he's simply doing a simpler riff on the "Batman is the real person and Bruce Wayne is the mask!!!" kinda shit

Like he doesn't do the thing that a lot of Bruce Waynes do where they try to put up a front as Wayne to throw people off from thinking he's Batman, by being a billionaire playboy and such? But he sort of comes off like a reclusive shut-in, even as he throws a weird gambling party for a ton of politicians (I think it was for charity though because someone was collecting donations)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.