Options

[Superheroes] By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, what a savings.

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Reflecting these past couple of years has brought me to the conclusion that I defiantly think Michael Keaton was both the best Bruce Wayne & Batman.

Each are so vividly different from each other but connected at the same time.

He's the only actor portraying Batman/Bruce Wayne where I could illustrate a solid Venn Diagram of personality traits.

i would argue Bale's performance in Batman Begins was the most nuanced. he essentially played three different characters; Batman, Bruce Wayne the Socialite, and real Bruce Wayne. a lot of things about the latter inform the first, but it's still distinct enough that there's a clear separation between them

the problem is that the sequels found the villains more interesting than Wayne and focused way less on him, which made Bale's performance suffer, so overall it doesn't look as good

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So watched latest Legends of Tomorow.

First off, I actually liked it a lot!

However
    Wait, so there is a Talia Al Gul out there, somewhere? The only reason I can think of why they haven't used her yet is for the long shot Hail Mary chance for an Arrowverse Batman show/storyline

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Reflecting these past couple of years has brought me to the conclusion that I defiantly think Michael Keaton was both the best Bruce Wayne & Batman.

He's the only actor portraying Batman/Bruce Wayne where I could illustrate a solid Venn Diagram of personality traits.

i would argue Bale's performance in Batman Begins was the most nuanced. he essentially played three different characters; Batman, Bruce Wayne the Socialite, and real Bruce Wayne. a lot of things about the latter inform the first, but it's still distinct enough that there's a clear separation between them

the problem is that the sequels found the villains more interesting than Wayne and focused way less on him, which made Bale's performance suffer, so overall it doesn't look as good

Bale does a good job in all those movies! His character has depth and nuance and motivation! He's a great Bruce Wayne, both real and socialite, in every movie! The plot just gets away from his character (as it probably should, to a certain degree) and people get too hung up on the Batvoice (which is only really funny in like two scenes in the whole trilogy)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Really if there's one thing I should thank BvS for, it's a far greater appreciation for these old movies

Nolan and Burton are not subtle filmmakers but they look like downright fucking delicate in comparison

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I think there's definitely a case to be made for that, but at the same time, you could argue he's simply doing a simpler riff on the "Batman is the real person and Bruce Wayne is the mask!!!" kinda shit

Like he doesn't do the thing that a lot of Bruce Waynes do where they try to put up a front as Wayne to throw people off from thinking he's Batman, by being a billionaire playboy and such? But he sort of comes off like a reclusive shut-in, even as he throws a weird gambling party for a ton of politicians (I think it was for charity though because someone was collecting donations)

I think the thing that separates Keaton's portrayal of Wayne away from Bale's is that while Bale is out there being a dumb, air-head socialite Keaton really sells the idea of Bruce Wayne being a dork.

Like, if you met Bale's Bruce Wayne you'd think he was a very charismatic albeit cowardly social king.

But Keaton's Bruce Wayne? What a fucking loser? Have you met that guy? What a piece of dry toast...

And I really, really love that version of Batman's disguise.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hey so

Legends of Tomorrow is really good now

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I mean, asterisk

it's really good in an episode where Vandal Savage doesn't appear at all

sig.gif
  • Options

I think there's definitely a case to be made for that, but at the same time, you could argue he's simply doing a simpler riff on the "Batman is the real person and Bruce Wayne is the mask!!!" kinda shit

Like he doesn't do the thing that a lot of Bruce Waynes do where they try to put up a front as Wayne to throw people off from thinking he's Batman, by being a billionaire playboy and such? But he sort of comes off like a reclusive shut-in, even as he throws a weird gambling party for a ton of politicians (I think it was for charity though because someone was collecting donations)

I think the thing that separates Keaton's portrayal of Wayne away from Bale's is that while Bale is out there being a dumb, air-head socialite Keaton really sells the idea of Bruce Wayne being a dork.

Like, if you met Bale's Bruce Wayne you'd think he was a very charismatic albeit cowardly social king.

But Keaton's Bruce Wayne? What a fucking loser? Have you met that guy? What a piece of dry toast...

And I really, really love that version of Batman's disguise.

I didn't really get that from his performance! I mean, Robert Wuhl says that about him, but he comes off more as... well, an odd and reclusive shut-in

The guy's got a room full of weird armor from all over the world! He never really strikes me as the "boring, unnoticeable" type

Then again, we never really see him talk or interact with anyone except Alfred, Vicki Vale, and Robert Wuhl's character whose name I forget. Maybe that's where I get the "reclusive" from

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

Bale does a good job in all those movies! His character has depth and nuance and motivation! He's a great Bruce Wayne, both real and socialite, in every movie! The plot just gets away from his character (as it probably should, to a certain degree) and people get too hung up on the Batvoice (which is only really funny in like two scenes in the whole trilogy)

i guess when i say his performance suffered i more mean the character he portrayed in the first movie. that movie is all about Bruce Wayne, so Bale really gets to shine. but from then on the story puts way less focus on him, despite him technically being the main character. there are a few moments in TDK where he gets to do some real work, but nothing quite like putting on the different faces he did in Begins, and the whole performance is easily overshadowed by anything Ledger did. then TDKR starts with Bruce in a really weird place (especially following the climax of the last movie) kinda fumbles his arc, even if Bale does a good job with what he's given

so while i think Bale is technically the best realized version of the character we've had so far, i would say that his peak was definitely in Begins because the material was a lot stronger for him as an actor

• Options
    and also it really irks me seeing all the praise that Affleck has gotten, with a lot of people saying he's the best live action version of the character yet despite the movie's flaws

like, he's fine in the role, but he doesn't really do anything particularly noteworthy and barely gets any screen time whatsoever as "Bruce Wayne". sure, he punches dudes real good in that one scene, but other than that he's kinda just angry all the time and nothing about his performance stood out to me as particularly astounding

• Options

i guess when i say his performance suffered i more mean the character he portrayed in the first movie. that movie is all about Bruce Wayne, so Bale really gets to shine. but from then on the story puts way less focus on him, despite him technically being the main character. there are a few moments in TDK where he gets to do some real work, but nothing quite like putting on the different faces he did in Begins, and the whole performance is easily overshadowed by anything Ledger did. then TDKR starts with Bruce in a really weird place (especially following the climax of the last movie) kinda fumbles his arc, even if Bale does a good job with what he's given

so while i think Bale is technically the best realized version of the character we've had so far, i would say that his peak was definitely in Begins because the material was a lot stronger for him as an actor

Sure, totally. I think that's a natural consequence of the story continuing past the first movie

His hair is better than Keaton's, too

The late 80's/early 90's were... unfortunate

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    and also it really irks me seeing all the praise that Affleck has gotten, with a lot of people saying he's the best live action version of the character yet despite the movie's flaws

like, he's fine in the role, but he doesn't really do anything particularly noteworthy and barely gets any screen time whatsoever as "Bruce Wayne". sure, he punches dudes real good in that one scene, but other than that he's kinda just angry all the time and nothing about his performance stood out to me as particularly astounding

Maybe he's just exceeding very low expectations.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

However
    Wait, so there is a Talia Al Gul out there, somewhere? The only reason I can think of why they haven't used her yet is for the long shot Hail Mary chance for an Arrowverse Batman show/storyline

Sadly,
    We will never have Batman or any of his associates in Arrow as long as Gotham or any other show directly tied to him exists, because DC literally thinks people would get needlessly confused at more than one version of Batman and company on television and so they forbid any of their characters from being in multiple shows. This is also why DC forbids Arrow from having a variety of characters in it, even ones that aren't actually in Gotham at the moment.

For instance, Deadshot was killed in Arrow, so that the character will not co-exist in both Arrow and the Suicide Squad movie.

In a season 2 episode of Arrow, we briefly see a gal in a cell that is strongly implied to be Harley Queen, and DC basically said "NO FUCKING WAY" to that and so she's never seen again.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

However

Sadly,
    We will never have Batman or any of his associates in Arrow as long as Gotham or any other show directly tied to him exists, because DC literally thinks people would get needlessly confused at more than one version of Batman and company on television and so they forbid any of their characters from being in multiple shows. This is also why DC forbids Arrow from having a variety of characters in it, even ones that aren't actually in Gotham at the moment.

For instance, Deadshot was killed in Arrow, so that the character will not co-exist in both Arrow and the Suicide Squad movie.

In a season 2 episode of Arrow, we briefly see a gal in a cell that is strongly implied to be Harley Queen, and DC basically said "NO FUCKING WAY" to that and so she's never seen again.

As if last year that's not true anymore.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-cw-warner-bros-dc-the-flash-arrow-1201646970/

So yes what you mentioned was part of the old "policy" this new one is one of the reasons why Supergirl and Gotham even exsist.

So it much more a possibility now than it would have been during the first 3 seasons of Arrow.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

However

Sadly,

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-cw-warner-bros-dc-the-flash-arrow-1201646970/

So yes what you mentioned was part of the old "policy" this new one is one of the reasons why Supergirl and Gotham even exsist.

So it much more a possibility now than it would have been during the first 3 seasons of Arrow.
    Haven't they continued to pull that shit though? Like didn't Deadshot get put on the "Do not use list" after that announcement (Due to Suicide Squad)

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

However

Sadly,

Also the Atom was very clearly supposed to be Ted Kord Blue Beetle

And now apparently Deathstroke is forbidden from showing up again

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Thank you, Owen"previews"ashi

No prob.
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Wait wait wait

Where the FUCK is Ben Reilly in that teaser image?

Kaine's already there representing the Scarlet Spider brand. That or maybe clones simply don't have souls in Marvel.

That was my first thought, too, but Kaine is a clone.

I thought Kaine was still alive.

Though, according to Venom series, when X-23 showed up during a Mephisto arc, clones do in fact have souls.

Hmmm. You might be right. I remember him sacrificing himself or something at the end of Spider-Verse, but I think his fate was actually left unclear.
    He did, but one of the last panels showed him breaking out of the corpse of the spider-creature

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

However

Sadly,

And
    Amanda Waller was killed off and was replaced with Lyla

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    early reports for Friday box office are saying BvS made $15 mil

that's an incredibly bad drop

it actually puts it about on par with MoS's second week drop, which had Monsters University and World War Z open the following weekend

BvS's competition is...

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    for a company whose whole business model sometimes seems to be 'put a batman on it', they have been surprisingly stingy about using him on television

I actually think arrowverse or whatever they're calling it would be a good opportunity to do an adam west style batman, since nobody's really done anything close to that in the modern era other than I guess Keaton kind of

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Batman & Robin is like pure 60's Batman cheese

and people hated it

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    ICE to meet you

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm afraid my condition has left me cold to your pleas of mercy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    WHAT KILLED THE DINOSAURS

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    George Clooney was a fun Bruce Wayne because he did almost every scene just.... in a bathrobe
    just because

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Also re: Keaton

YOU WANNA GET NUTS???

https://youtu.be/NriOZ6ofj_Q

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Batman & Robin is like pure 60's Batman cheese

and people hated it

Not entirely. 60's Batman was cheesy but Batman was always played seriously. Batman was the straight man in all the cheese and silliness.

With Batman & Robin, Batman is part of the silliness and that ruins a lot of the fun.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

THE ICE AGE

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

it actually puts it about on par with MoS's second week drop, which had Monsters University and World War Z open the following weekend

BvS's competition is...

Iunno, Zootopia? By all accounts it's doing surprisingly well.
    Veldrin wrote: »

Drastic changes in the environment that forced species to adapt or go extinct over a period of time?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Zootopia is in it's fifth week.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Zootopia is in it's fifth week.

Oh right, I keep forgetting my country just had a late release.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I dunno, is Skullpoopl still in theaters? I remember it was still pretty high up there a few weeks before bvs came out

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular

BvS's competition is...

Staying home and watching something on T V, judging by what I saw tonight

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

BvS's competition is...

Young Justice Season 2 on Netflix.
    Let us go enjoy a dark, broody DC that is excellent rather than passable.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

are you strictly talking live action or are you including TAS? Honest question.

Live Action.

Although if I am being fair, I couldn't actually consider a voice acting in competition with a live action actor.

Sorry, but actually having to film the fight scenes is different from shrugging/huffing into a microphone...

Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Latest Arrow
    Ahahaha oh my gosh

Curtis's flip over the monitors

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Shawshank redemption is on Netflix instant watch.

BvS: defeated.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

However

Sadly,

Haven't they continued to pull that shit though? Like didn't Deadshot get put on the "Do not use list" after that announcement (Due to Suicide Squad)
    Joolander wrote: »

However

Sadly,

So looking at the time line he didn't take over as CEO until March 2013, so I can see Deadshot and Kord occurring before he changed things.

Waller happens after... Though I'm 50/50 that on that being related to the upcoming movie, could have been a number of things.

Devlin_Dragonus on

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

A) Holy shit

B)
    Even without a World War Z or a Straight Outta Compton waiting in the wings, the Zack Snyder superhero sequel still dropped huge on its second Friday. That’s a larger drop than the likes of Fantastic Four (-78.7%), Watchmen (-78.4%), The Dark Knight Rises (-76.6%), Hulk (-76.5%), X-Men Origins: Wolverine (-75.8%), Green Lantern (-72%), and Man of Steel (-71.5%).

Woah, what? I thought people (besides me) liked that movie

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.