As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Winter Rift is Coming

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    What is the earleist that she can solo dragon? Is there any other jungler out there (rip fiddlesticks) that can solo dragon super early?

Not really sure for Kindred--probably depends on getting some early passive stacks. I probably wouldn't try it before 5 or 6.

For the second part of the question, I'd just answer the usual suspects--Malzahar, Fiddlesticks, Nunu, Warwick, Shaco. Basically people that can avoid taking damage and/or have a lot of sustain. Elise probably still qualifies, and Ekko might be able to do it kind of early given how solid his shield is. Skarner might be up there given his mini-game.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Dunno if anyone else watches the stream late on Wednesdays with the playtest team, but I'm rather amused by their term for point-and-click instant effects. "Gameplay."

"Get ready to feel the gameplay!"

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    credeiki wrote: »
    So i'm trying to play a bit of kindred. Having decent success in normals. Terrified to go into ranked.

What is the earleist that she can solo dragon? Is there any other jungler out there (rip fiddlesticks) that can solo dragon super early?

I sort of understand why you want to solo dragon, but also can't you ask your lane or at least the support to help? In gold 5 isn't the river going to be warded much of the time and thus their botlane is going to come contest anyway? When I'm support I have pretty solid uptime on river wards and I am a bad. My fellow bads often do so as well.

A hardy no to both of those questions. People in gold 5 still ward the bush by river so it's not far enough up that early in the game. Bot laners usually only move up there if they see the enemy bot lane move that way. So, asking for help creates a disadvantage. Say only the support comes and the enemy team sends 3 etc. Before the rework I was taking dragon at level 3 consistently in gold IV.

edit: it sounds kind of dickish but the more consistently i can provide a benefit for my team without relying on or involving my teammates the better.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    So i'm trying to play a bit of kindred. Having decent success in normals. Terrified to go into ranked.

I sort of understand why you want to solo dragon, but also can't you ask your lane or at least the support to help? In gold 5 isn't the river going to be warded much of the time and thus their botlane is going to come contest anyway? When I'm support I have pretty solid uptime on river wards and I am a bad. My fellow bads often do so as well.

A hardy no to both of those questions. People in gold 5 still ward the bush by river so it's not far enough up that early in the game. Bot laners usually only move up there if they see the enemy bot lane move that way. So, asking for help creates a disadvantage. Say only the support comes and the enemy team sends 3 etc. Before the rework I was taking dragon at level 3 consistently in gold IV.

edit: it sounds kind of dickish but the more consistently i can provide a benefit for my team without relying on or involving my teammates the better.

That's not dickish; it's totally reasonable. My adc choice of Sivir is largely based on wanting to play someone who can 1v2 with no support/as if the support isn't there.

Hm, and once again a Zyra game starting out 0/3 in which we end up winning. Am I just not affecting these games at all, maybe...

That said, I do ward the river at dragon. But I guess it's not that common.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

That's not dickish; it's totally reasonable. My adc choice of Sivir is largely based on wanting to play someone who can 1v2 with no support/as if the support isn't there.

Hm, and once again a Zyra game starting out 0/3 in which we end up winning. Am I just not affecting these games at all, maybe...

That said, I do ward the river at dragon. But I guess it's not that common.

Depends on the enemy jungler. Somebody fast or early dragon potential? Ward high up. Someone who can hop walls? Closer to watch the vulnerable spots.

• Options
    Ivellius wrote: »

Not really sure for Kindred--probably depends on getting some early passive stacks. I probably wouldn't try it before 5 or 6.

For the second part of the question, I'd just answer the usual suspects--Malzahar, Fiddlesticks, Nunu, Warwick, Shaco. Basically people that can avoid taking damage and/or have a lot of sustain. Elise probably still qualifies, and Ekko might be able to do it kind of early given how solid his shield is. Skarner might be up there given his mini-game.

i think i'll try to bring Warwick out again along with Kindred. That should give me a decent ability to set the pace of the game through objectives.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ivellius wrote: »

i think i'll try to bring Warwick out again along with Kindred. That should give me a decent ability to set the pace of the game through objectives.

In this recent game, Warwick did dragon at like 6 minutes. Orianna did walk over to help him, but he didn't ask for her help, suggesting that he probably would have been able to solo? It took a long time, though.

This game in general was pretty fun. Win conditions: only teamfight, never don't teamfight. Once everyone understood that (and I helped defuse some incipient toxicity) we just walked up to towers and took them without contest. It was pretty great. Much of my team claimed to be smurfing afterwards, but their cs is abysmal, so I'm not sure. Jinx was pretty skilled.

• Options
    Aw yiss, Definitely Not Dom should be kicking off pretty soon today. I believe they've said it should be on around noon local server time.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Aw yiss, Definitely Not Dom should be kicking off pretty soon today. I believe they've said it should be on around noon local server time.

Fuck that shit

• Options
    Yeah, that's way too far away, it should be live now IMO.

And available all the time.

And it should replace SR.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I wonder what some of the new champs that came out post Dominion are gonna be like. Taliya and Aurelion can both show up instantly and turn any skirmish into a numbers advantage if their teleport cooldown are up. Taliya seems to have solid zone control through her W and E and her Q being AoE in tiny corridors could potentially be useful or really bad because of the worked ground restriction, buy also make her a nuisance thanks to all the move speed zones she'll have. Aurelion can cut off a lot of ground with his Q and his stars should be relatively painful to fight around too.

Also I won't have to worry about people trying to do nothing but back cap and CHASE THE GODDAMN SHACO OR NEVER BUILD A VISION ITEM aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

butts
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    At least it's blind draft, so you can ban out Shaco and Kassadin.

It's also live on NA. :)

EDIT: And maaaaaaaaaaan, you get shit for champion mastery on there. Just got a A on there and you only get like 100 points. Although that was a loss, so.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    does talith know?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    @Talith Definitely Not Ascension is live this weekend

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Talith Definitely Not Ascension is live this weekend

Trying to tear me away from Overwatch... bold move Riot.

Thanks for the heads up.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    The real question is does riot even deserve the attention anymore

• Options
    So my team is slightly losing early (our jg Shaco is bad). I ward dragon, as I do. Volibear tries to take it around lvl 5 ( @DasUberEdward I guess he's one of the people that can do that?) I ping a bunch, me (supp Naut) and Jinx go fight, Shaco very belatedly joins, Zed does not join, we trade like 1 for two (we die) and stop dragon. Volibear does it again, it is warded, I ping again, Jinx and I go, Shaco hasn't healed from last time and dies, Zed wanders around our red jg instead of coming to help, we die, Zed calls us useless and then sits in fountain for the rest of the game. Top Irelia then sits in fountain for most of the rest of the game.

It's ranked

???

I muted him but did tell him he was being unacceptable and making the game unfun to play, as well as not being responsive to situations at dragon where I expect mid to contribute. Then I reported him; can't really do anything else about it.

Time to take a break...

• Options
    So my team is slightly losing early (our jg Shaco is bad). I ward dragon, as I do. Volibear tries to take it around lvl 5 ( @DasUberEdward I guess he's one of the people that can do that?) I ping a bunch, me (supp Naut) and Jinx go fight, Shaco very belatedly joins, Zed does not join, we trade like 1 for two (we die) and stop dragon. Volibear does it again, it is warded, I ping again, Jinx and I go, Shaco hasn't healed from last time and dies, Zed wanders around our red jg instead of coming to help, we die, Zed calls us useless and then sits in fountain for the rest of the game. Top Irelia then sits in fountain for most of the rest of the game.

It's ranked

???

I muted him but did tell him he was being unacceptable and making the game unfun to play, as well as not being responsive to situations at dragon where I expect mid to contribute. Then I reported him; can't really do anything else about it.

Time to take a break...

That is why I am terrified of requiring teammates to help with early dragon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Woo, my first mastery 6! I think the purple looks good with Vi's hair.
    MOT5y7l.jpg

Kinda looks weird on my champion list with no others even at 5 yet :p

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Kills come at a very high rate on Definitely Not Dominion. Low respawn timers have a hand in that.

One of my games my friend and I combined for 55-25 alone. That was a fun game. It was also his first Kha'zix game ever and wants to do nothing but play the stupid bug. I've unleashed a Kha'zix main on the world. ):

butts
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So I picked up Thresh, and have been trying to get a feel for him.

It seems like when I do land the clutch hook/hook combo, I make the plays to end all plays, feel like an unstoppable force, generally feel awesome.

Though also, I feel like I die way faster than I think I should with him. I guess it makes sense since the only real defense I have is lantern if I haven't used it, but I keep thinking that I should feel like a tank and then I feel way more squishy mage-y than I'd think.

Also I feel like I should at least try him with Relic shield instead of coin. I know it requires more coordination with the ADC so that we're not fighting over cs, but maybe the extra health will feel a little better.

Khavall on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I am pretty sure i just played against smurf.

I think im pretty good player, and i destroyed every enemy Riven so far. this time, even with ganks from my jungler, i couldnt do anything to her, and she carried game. Not fun, not fun at all.

Asthariel on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I am pretty sure i just played against smurf.

I think im pretty good player, and i destroyed every enemy Riven so far. this time, even with ganks from my jungler, i couldnt do anything to her, and she carried game. Not fun, not fun at all.

Sometimes you have games like that. The best way to spot a smurf is by their CS. When solo laners will have like 50 cs, they'll be sitting on 150 somehow.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    So I picked up Thresh, and have been trying to get a feel for him.

It seems like when I do land the clutch hook/hook combo, I make the plays to end all plays, feel like an unstoppable force, generally feel awesome.

Though also, I feel like I die way faster than I think I should with him. I guess it makes sense since the only real defense I have is lantern if I haven't used it, but I keep thinking that I should feel like a tank and then I feel way more squishy mage-y than I'd think.

Also I feel like I should at least try him with Relic shield instead of coin. I know it requires more coordination with the ADC so that we're not fighting over cs, but maybe the extra health will feel a little better.

"Moments of Godhood followed by LOOOOOOONG stretches of mediocrity" is pretty much how Thresh feels unless you're just really, really skilled at league, and even then if you don't particularly get him he can still fall short. Thresh both demands and rewards particular skill in him more than most if not all supports. I've had to tell myself to stop playing him no matter how great the great moments feel because I know I can't maintain that level of play.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    If someone is building percent health damage, e.g. a Shyvana with Bloodrazor and BotRK, you buy armor rather than health to counter right? Because the %-health damage (whether maximum or current) is calculated and then dealt as physical, not actually %-reducing your HP directly, and armor will reduce that damage whereas if you increase your health pool their damage scales up with it. Correct?

• Options
    Getting better at Zyra. Here are some games in which I won without giving up a million deaths in laning.

In fact, I enabled 3 Vayne doublekills in lane...

feels pretty good!

We had trouble closing this one out because sieging against Azir is hard and our Kindred didn't see the Azir turret and dove. Still very solid; completely crushed them in lane.

Zyra feels pick or ban to me.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    She would be pick or ban if not for the skill cap. I am absolutely positive that you can carry as a support with her.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    She would be pick or ban if not for the skill cap. I am absolutely positive that you can carry as a support with her.

I just about got there this morning. Longest match of League I've had in a very long time. Highlights were the murder machine Kha'zix (turns out you can foil that by hanging out near him at half health, watching for the jump, then slamming down your ult and hitting Zhonya's while Jinx and Talon vaporize him) and the jungle Yi who was constantly bitching about Jinx taking "his" CS. I love junglers who don't get that they're a 4, and the ADC is a 1.

Oh, and there was so much chasing of Singed. People never learn.

Sprout on
  • Options
    Sprout wrote: »

I just about got there this morning. Longest match of League I've had in a very long time. Highlights were the murder machine Kha'zix (turns out you can foil that by hanging out near him at half health, watching for the jump, then slamming down your ult and hitting Zhonya's while Jinx and Talon vaporize him) and the jungle Yi who was constantly bitching about Jinx taking "his" CS. I love junglers who don't get that they're a 4, and the ADC is a 1.

what on earth happened between 39:00 and 40:00 hahaha

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I am not convinced she's super-high skillcap any more. She's fragile before sightstone, but not the worst, and then often a Rylai's and/or BoC tanks her up. The fact that you get all these free seeds, and you don't even have to put your skillshots right on top of the seeds for them to turn into plants, means that you can essentially just Q wherever, vaguely close to the enemy, and then you will make two plants and they will attack the adc a few times and proc thunderlords and bam half the adc's health is gone.

Land an E-Q at lvl 2 and you can get first blood often. You also usually win 2v2s (unless they start by you instantly exploding) because of the plant damage. In teamfights, you just kinda E dangerous people, plot down ult, make some plants, whatever. If your team doesn't do well, you often have the most damage on the team; if they do do well, you hopefully have turned your adc into someone who does more damage than you.

I'm enjoying playing her a lot! Also I always love playing a support with good waveclear. You can contribute significantly to tower defense or to a pushing effort.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I have rediscovered Elise, the Forgotten Champion. She's not bad in Twisted Treeline but her Q feels weaker than it should be. 1 Q is worth 2 standard hits?

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »

what on earth happened between 39:00 and 40:00 hahaha

Got them 5v4 at Baron, then we took Baron, 2 towers, and an inhib. Of course, people stuck around in their base after they started respawning, they died, and the game stretched on for another 15 minutes.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I should stop playing Garen. But I can't. It's too much fun. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I should stop playing Garen. But I can't. It's too much fun. :(

Anyone who tries to make you stop playing that twirling piece of Demacian man-meat is a bad person. You do you, boo.

• Options
    How come I have to eat the dodge penalty for the guy trying to lock in Vayne but locking in Trynd instead? I'm not the one who failed the lock-in...I guess I lost dodge chicken, even though I dodged with 1 sec left.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Dodge penalty really doesn't mean much unless you are in a series.

You get the lost LP back in a game or two because it doesn't impact your MMR.

I dodge all the time, and will continue to do so. Dodging and eating a 5 or even 30 min wait time is far superior than playing a game with people bickering from the get go.

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I have rediscovered Elise, the Forgotten Champion. She's not bad in Twisted Treeline but her Q feels weaker than it should be. 1 Q is worth 2 standard hits?

Elise feels very good on Rift right now to me. I suppose mileage may vary, but she's my go-to AP jungler if I need one.

Tank also seems to work fairly well if you just wanna skitter around everywhere and not die.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    I think I will try picking up Vi again, I want an AD jungler that I can play as an alternative to Volibear, since I play Voli in every "serious" game that I'm jungle in. I'm just so bad with her Q's though. I feel like I used to whiff those all day.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.