Options

Better Learning Through [Youtube]

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    drop and gimme fifty sweet pup hugs

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JqJDRkKlt8

the whole PewDiePie thing was bullshit as I thought

he doesn't even review games

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I had a different comment to make, but I immediately forgot what it was when he showed a clip of himself from 2014.

Holy shit, it looks like he's aged 10 years in those 2 years.

Is video game streaming the new topper in the "jobs that age the fuck out of you"?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    all that computer radiation is no good

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    its not about reviews or not, its about if you take money to show or talk about a product in any way. He did have a notice in the more info section but the ftc ruling was that wasnt enough. He followed the instructions of WB, but the FTC ruled that the way they disclosed things wasnt quite clear enough, hence the settlement.

it wasnt ever a scandal, but is a good reminder that people on social media are often taking money to talk about things and so take what they say with a grain of salt.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The FTC did that ruling in 2015, the video was published in 2014. The only person at fault was WB.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    This stupid show.

Making me feel things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNnfuvC1LlU

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Dang, man. If anything this made me even more glad I bought the LED bulbs I did.

STAY FOR THE END.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9wPH6lDtU

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    He is visibly upset that the flashlight did not explode gloriously.

I respect that.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I had a different comment to make, but I immediately forgot what it was when he showed a clip of himself from 2014.

Holy shit, it looks like he's aged 10 years in those 2 years.

Is video game streaming the new topper in the "jobs that age the fuck out of you"?

Yup, it's right up there with prison guard, underwater welder and EOD technician

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

Neil Cicierega's PokeRAP

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    The PokeRAP is 18 years old. Jesus Christ.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Ok, I'm going to be a little pedantic about this:

In some places, Turtles, Tortoises, and Terrapins are three different animals. In British English, Turtles have fins and swim in water, Tortoises have legs and hang out on land, and Terrapins are small with webbed feet that hang out in saltwater shoals.

U.S. English uses Turtle and Tortoise interchangeably fro the most part, and the ones with fins in the ocean are called sea turtles to keep it straight. Terrapins, on the other hand, are mostly described as "delicious"

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to be a little pedantic about this:

In some places, Turtles, Tortoises, and Terrapins are three different animals. In British English, Turtles have fins and swim in water, Tortoises have legs and hang out on land, and Terrapins are small with webbed feet that hang out in saltwater shoals.

I'm going to out-pedant you. All turtles are amphibious (ie, they spend a considerable amount of time in the water), but not all turtles have fins. Not even in Brittish English.
    Fins are in fact the exception, as the majority of turtle species have legs. Legs that are far less club-like than those of a tortoise (having claws and webbed toes), but they do have legs.

Also, it's flat out ridiculous. Brittish English is pretty much the only language that does not have a common language word for testudinae and insists upon not having one.
    It's Tortuga in Spanish, Tortue in French, Sköldpadda in Swedish (ridiculous name as it means shieldtoad), Cherepakha in Russian etc.

Most other languages tends to add a prefix/suffix or some other qualifier to separate the various orders and families. For example the swedish "Havssköldpadda" (lit. Seashieldtoad) för Sea Turtles and "Landsköldpadda" (lit. Landshieldtoad) för tortoises.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    But which terms refer to truly monophyletic groups

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

Every time I've seen a fallon clip I've always thought that the guy with the glasses who keeps talking is the most annoying person possible.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Every time I've seen a fallon clip I've always thought that the guy with the glasses who keeps talking is the most annoying person possible.

Well that's a shame for you because Higgins is literally a comedy genius

• Options
    But which terms refer to truly monophyletic groups

In American English that would be "Turtles", since Testudines are, at least as far as I know, monophyletic, while the british english classifications are not.
    Turtles would be paraphyletic (since it excludes specific families) while tortoises and terrapins would be polyphyletic since they have multiple genetic origins within the testudine order.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Hence why vets/scientists on both sides of the pond just call them "chelonians"
    (see https://xkcd.com/927/ ) for more info :P

halkun on
  • Options
    halkun wrote: »
    Hence why vets/scientists on both sides of the pond just call them "chelonians"
    (see https://xkcd.com/927/ ) for more info :P

But that just adds confusion since Chelonia is a Genus within the cheloniidea family...which doesn't refer to the order at all!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »

Well that's a shame for you because Higgins is literally a comedy genius

Maybe, but while playing second fiddle to the host of the show I find it doesn't show through in the slightest.

• Options
    Higgins has like

all the best zingers

his role on the show is to literally interupt with jokes.

He's better at it than Andy Richter and Andy Richter is ALSO a comedy genius

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Sköldpadda in Swedish (ridiculous name as it means shieldtoad)

Makes more sense than the possible Tartaros origin of Tortoise, IMHO. Especially given their gait.

Really, though, it's just a thing where the Germanic word is shield-toad (see also: German, Dutch, the rest of the Scandinavian languages) and the Romantic (?) word is various variants on Tortoise, and I don't really know what the etymology is there but like I said apparently the Greeks associated turtles with Tartaros?

English then uses the latter word 'cause that's what English does.

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »

Makes more sense than the possible Tartaros origin of Tortoise, IMHO. Especially given their gait.

Really, though, it's just a thing where the Germanic word is shield-toad (see also: German, Dutch, the rest of the Scandinavian languages) and the Romantic (?) word is various variants on Tortoise, and I don't really know what the etymology is there but like I said apparently the Greeks associated turtles with Tartaros?

I thought the origin of tortoise/turtle was the latin testudo (which pretty much means "Shelled creature") or possibly the french tortue (which sort of translates into "hellbeast").

P.S: Hellbeast is possible the most accurate description possible of snapping turtles, especially alligator snapping turtles.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

I thought the origin of tortoise/turtle was the latin testudo (which pretty much means "Shelled creature") or possibly the french tortue (which sort of translates into "hellbeast").

P.S: Hellbeast is possible the most accurate description possible of snapping turtles, especially alligator snapping turtles.

Like I said, I don't really know where the hell Tortoise/Turtle came from. Google isn't helping much, as you can probably tell.

Then again, it's more useful than it is for Swedish etymologies. The only etymological dictionary online seems to be some scan of some pre-WW2 book.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Ooh, I like this. *Clicks Playlist*

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Delicious Sushi and beautiful street cats!

Some more thought could have been put into this description, because it's kinda scary as is.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Like I said, I don't really know where the hell Tortoise/Turtle came from. Google isn't helping much, as you can probably tell.

Then again, it's more useful than it is for Swedish etymologies. The only etymological dictionary online seems to be some scan of some pre-WW2 book.

Try Svenska Akademins OrdBok (lit: Swedish Academy's Dictionary), which is both up-to-date, includes etymology and as official as you can get.
    SAOB

P.S: Although the Project Runeberg 1922 Etymological dictionary by Elof Hellquist is interesting in its own right.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

God I have one somewhere. A local guy was running for county Trustee. His name was Bob Conover.

I think you can trust him.

This discussion has been closed.