Options

Agents of [The Division] - Directive 51 remains in effect

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    So, this was brought to my attention: http://gafferongames.com/2016/04/25/never-trust-the-client/

Figured some of you may want to read it.

This does not bode well.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Speaking of some of the technical issues with the game: if anybody is used to netcode talk in the Battlefield circles, this guy might be a bit familiar.

(Important takeaway: if you value keeping your IP address private, turn OFF in-game VOIP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc51gxwvyGc

EDIT - downside to the video is that he spends quite a bit of time talking about his crowdfunding page...if that's a problem around here, I'll edit out the video.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Focusing on the crowd control properties of shotguns (increased staggering, stuns, or slows) and LMGs (improved suppression effects) would be a novel way to increase their desirability.

I find suppression to act more as a penalty than a bonus when shooting. Especially on that last fucking enemy who now won't pop up out of cover for you to finish off.

Suppression was great while leveling with friends. My group always ran hard modes either at an even level or a level or two early. Being able to use a turret + light machine gun to suppress one side of the battlefield so my friends could clean up the other side before turning their attention to the remaining enemies was awesome.

Unfortunately, once you hit 30 your gear ramps up so quickly that you're right, suppression is a penalty that means its harder to finish enemies off. Not only that, but the enemies you'd primarily want to suppress are immune to it anyway.

Whenever someone suppresses a target I just rush it. Isn't that the point?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah, but some areas it's not something you can do. lincoln is the obvious one where you should be up top.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    What's crazy is that the very first thing that I think every time I come up with a fun multiplayer hame idea I think "yeah but this will require a sever running a game with client side prediction and I don't know enough about all this..."

Then I stop.

I find it amazing a AAA title came from either not even thinking about that very first thing, or somehow deciding nah it's fine to roll without worrying about it

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    Dissent wrote: »
    Dissent wrote: »
    Kick_04 wrote: »
    The incursion for me has never reset for me to get a 2nd week reward, not like I could clear challenge mode now anyway.

The supply drops in the DZ give rank 191 set pieces, the lower DZ mobs will drop 191 set pieces as well. I got 3 set pieces dropped in the DZ over the past two days, the one from the boss was 191 tactician gloves. My brother and I were able to grab 5 of the 6 supply drops last night and I got 2 striker gloves from those and they were both 191. Sadly all 3 glove drops were worse than my gold 163 gloves, the ones I could probably reroll the firearms stat to make better but than I am locked into the other skills with no way to change them.

I would guess DZ 5/6 have a chance of dropping 214 gear but unsure about that, been running mostly solo or duo.

My brother runs 90k health, 50k skill power with sticky bomb and pulse. I run 160k dps, 73k health, 19k skill power with booster shot and conceal pulse. With my Midas I can critical hit 70k on gold npcs in the DZ. I was able to get a headshot on the heavy boss at the library last night for 719k.

Are you in the 161 and under bracket? My drops typically top out at 204 for weapons, 214 for gear, though I tend to stick to the zone 4-6 boss farming loop.

what game are you playing? DZ drops are 163, with about a 3% chance to get a 182 item. i'm GS 207 and DZ rank 75.

This is the game that I'm playing:
    tkmym0ar90q5.jpg
    Dropped from one of the bosses guarding a supply drop near DZ04. Wasn't saying they drop consistently, that's the only one I've ever seen and I'm in there at least a couple of hours every night.

I would do some startlingly inappropriate things for a First Wave Vector 204 rated. My luck one will drop and have Stability, Skill Power % Increase on kill, and Kills Extend Ult Timer, the first two talents requiring 2550 Electronics. Then again this game has been far more RNGenerous to me lately than I care to admit.

Yeah, the talents on that one are pretty great for PvE, but there's no way I'll ever be able to roll the attributes for it while wearing set gear. I think I might just give it to my alt and see how much double-mod gear I can collect until I can actually use it.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Dark Zone is awful; this is a public service announcement

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

Slight correction:

People make the Dark Zone awful.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Slight correction:

Yeah, I'd run the DZ all day if there weren't other players hacking all over the fucking place. Anytime I see rogues I just assume they're cheating.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

Slight correction:

Yeah, I'd run the DZ all day if there weren't other players hacking all over the fucking place. Anytime I see rogues I just assume they're cheating.

And if they're not directly cheating, they might have exploited the Incursion anyway!

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

Slight correction:

And if they're not directly cheating, they might have exploited the Incursion anyway!

So, I just farm Bird Bucks and materials and wait for the BoO vendor to give me what I want. Yaaaaay...

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I feel bad for PC players. It seems legit unplayable on that. Ps4 we have exploits but honestly i think they cleared most of the ridicukous ones. dz seems much cleaner now

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I feel bad for PC players. It seems legit unplayable on that. Ps4 we have exploits but honestly i think they cleared most of the ridicukous ones. dz seems much cleaner now

I logged in real quick before the downtime to try and get the dailies done and died 3 times in 10 minutes. One I'm pretty sure was a hacker, the other two I can't tell if I was just outskilled or hilariously outclassed by set gear.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Focusing on the crowd control properties of shotguns (increased staggering, stuns, or slows) and LMGs (improved suppression effects) would be a novel way to increase their desirability.

I find suppression to act more as a penalty than a bonus when shooting. Especially on that last fucking enemy who now won't pop up out of cover for you to finish off.

Suppression was great while leveling with friends. My group always ran hard modes either at an even level or a level or two early. Being able to use a turret + light machine gun to suppress one side of the battlefield so my friends could clean up the other side before turning their attention to the remaining enemies was awesome.

Unfortunately, once you hit 30 your gear ramps up so quickly that you're right, suppression is a penalty that means its harder to finish enemies off. Not only that, but the enemies you'd primarily want to suppress are immune to it anyway.

I realised how handy suppression was when I ran challenge Consulate with a pug group where one dude would do exactly this. Made things so much easier!

I actually rolled a LMG with whatever-that-accuracy-bonus-is and vicious. The deeps drop compared to my Aug gives my epeen a sad though :(

• Options
    Campy wrote: »

I realised how handy suppression was when I ran challenge Consulate with a pug group where one dude would do exactly this. Made things so much easier!

I actually rolled a LMG with whatever-that-accuracy-bonus-is and vicious. The deeps drop compared to my Aug gives my epeen a sad though :(

Death is the greatest form of CC. :3

I dunno, I would think suppression is one of the least useful things on Consulate. Half the challenge is shotgunners in close quarters who don't give a fuck about suppression, the other half the challenge is medic+guard stacks, half of whom don't give a fuck about suppression, the other half you want not suppressed so you can actually kill them and stop the healing.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Today's patch notes:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1441160-Changelog-April-28th-maintenance?p=11651513&viewfull=1#post11651513
    Here is the list of changes implemented during the maintenance of April 28:

Protection from Elites will now correctly reduce damage received from Elite enemies
    Fixed a bug with Rehabilitated where the talent could remain active when used in combination with a tear gas grenade
    Fixed an exploit where players could go through walls by using a ladder while the Jumping Jack emote is active
    Falcon Lost: Players will no longer be able to shoot inside the incursion when they are standing outside of it
    Whoooo 30% swing in damage taken incoming for me.

State of the Game stream:
    They don't think there's an issue with shotgunners one-shotting in CM Incursion, they're waiting to see if the Protection from Elites fix takes care of that.
    Guaranteed rotation of daily missions upcoming.
    Known Issues: One is None talent, Reckless item talent (fix incoming in 1.2), Balanced (1.2), character talent stacking glitch
    Stronger/clearer/harsher stance on "exploiters" coming
    Anti-cheat--moving some things from client side to server side, new waves of sanctions incoming from better detection
    Compensation still coming for backpack issue and missing character issue
    Answers about netcode coming

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Anti-cheat--moving some things from client side to server side, new waves of sanctions incoming from better detection
    laugh.gif
    Believing it when I see it.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Massive wrote:

And all those people who have already benefited from it, and have further widened the gear gap?

Right. I'll also believe this when i see it.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Campy wrote: »

Death is the greatest form of CC. :3

I dunno, I would think suppression is one of the least useful things on Consulate. Half the challenge is shotgunners in close quarters who don't give a fuck about suppression, the other half the challenge is medic+guard stacks, half of whom don't give a fuck about suppression, the other half you want not suppressed so you can actually kill them and stop the healing.

EMP grenades. Medic problem solved.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    'Balanced' is broken so they're going to fix that. Now that everyone has wasted their mats trying to roll weapons specifically for that.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    'Balanced' is broken so they're going to fix that. Now that everyone has wasted their mats trying to roll weapons specifically for that.

This is why it's always a bad idea to chase the perfect roll.

You're always one balance patch away from having wasted a lot of time and resources.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Shotguns work in PVP because people are so used to being shot at by SMG/AR rifles, that they don't pop health until they are at low health. Shotguns will knock off that last full bar in a single shot.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So, apparently the fix to the ladder glitch has introduced a new bug. If you stand next to certain ladders too long, it will down you. This game is a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccg12dZwwCo&feature=youtu.be

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So, apparently the fix to the ladder glitch has introduced a new bug. If you stand next to certain ladders too long, it will down you. This game is a joke.

w h a t

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Some guy on Reddit told me that I have no idea what it's like to work in IT if I considered 6 coders being too little for The Division's updates/fixes team.

Maybe if they're good coders, 6 is enough. As we have seen, this is not the case.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    At this point, I am more interested in hearing how this game came to be put together in its current incarnation than actually playing more of it. It took an expansion worth of resources and time to course correct Diablo 3 and Destiny and it probably will take a similar effort to recover.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    JagmasJagmas Registered User regular
    I hope the Ghost Recon people are paying attention and don't make the same mistakes, but this is UBI's second strike after Rainbow Six issues..

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Some guy on Reddit told me that I have no idea what it's like to work in IT if I considered 6 coders being too little for The Division's updates/fixes team.

Maybe if they're good coders, 6 is enough. As we have seen, this is not the case.

More cases of IT=magic.

I get so tired of people thinking they know what's possible based on watching the last season of (insert shitty show with bad tech here).

Clearly they don't have the staff to handle what is happening to the game.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

More cases of IT=magic.

I get so tired of people thinking they know what's possible based on watching the last season of (insert shitty show with bad tech here).

Clearly they don't have the staff to handle what is happening to the game.

You mean it's not all about calculating mean jerk time? Damn, I had such high expectations too..

• Options
    hoodie13 wrote: »

w h a t
    feature, not a bug

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

That second kill was fast enough that it could happen to people just, you know, wanting to use a ladder. I love it.

This is Massive moving more towards that hardcore RPG feel. 'You got those mimics in Dark Souls? Yeah, check this out...'

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I would love to see one of these coder heroes who think THEY could fix the game sit down in front of the code base and try.

Good luck.

I still believe this can be fixed but UBI and Massive probably need to devote a lot more resources to the team doing the fixing so they can accomplish something.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Client-side heavy nature could be more of a more PC-version as afterthought/secondary thing? IDK.

I'm still playing the least ennui inducing version of The Division I could think of; not playing The Division.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I would love to see one of these coder heroes who think THEY could fix the game sit down in front of the code base and try.

Good luck.

I still believe this can be fixed but UBI and Massive probably need to devote a lot more resources to the team doing the fixing so they can accomplish something.
    I've confirmed what I thought might be true, there is a skeleton crew managing TD right now. 9 people are active on the update/dev team and 3 of them are not programmers.

Can't cite my source, grain of salt and all that but honestly it makes sense given the amount of stumbling we have seen.

Kinda feel bad for small teams that are left driving the same bus they are being thrown under.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    That is part of the information I based my opinion on.

UBI cut back to maintenance team levels way too early on the game. They can't fix it fast enough with the resources they have and are being overwhelmed.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah same here. When you look at their engine demos, you can see how easy it is to build stuff with it, but that just means so many things are automated/procedural, I would imagine it's much harder to pinpoint what is causing an issue. 6 people, of which we need to wonder if any of them even worked on the engine itself, is definitely not enough.

Satsumomo on
  • Options

UBI cut back to maintenance team levels way too early on the game. They can't fix it fast enough with the resources they have and are being overwhelmed.
    Well, it sort of leads one to envision the office situation something like this...
    1461853514813.jpg
    Patch removed the protected area effect from the pve safehouses, y'see :)

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Yeah same here. When you look at their engine demos, you can see how easy it is to build stuff with it, but that just means so many things are automated/procedural, I would imagine it's much harder to pinpoint what is causing an issue. 6 people, of which we need to wonder if any of them even worked on the engine itself, is definitely not enough.

Between the massive user survey and negative article in The Guardian and mentions on Fox News, Ubisoft is well aware of what is going on. I'm wondering if they are giving Massive time to fix the mistakes, before they rip the property out of their hands.

Knowing Ubisoft, they are doing both - letting Massive twist in the wind while hiring another studio to start work on The Division 2.

• Options
    Hey, if we get the same thing as what happened for BF4 when they went from DICE Sweden to DICE LA, then I'm all for it!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

Well, it sort of leads one to envision the office situation something like this...
    1461853514813.jpg
    Patch removed the protected area effect from the pve safehouses, y'see :)

Seems like we're well on the way to the patch where they forget that Division agents aren't supposed to shoot at unarmed American Citizens for their trendy shemaghs.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”