As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Agents of [The Division] - Directive 51 remains in effect

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    That is part of the information I based my opinion on.

UBI cut back to maintenance team levels way too early on the game. They can't fix it fast enough with the resources they have and are being overwhelmed.
    Well, it sort of leads one to envision the office situation something like this...
    1461853514813.jpg
    Patch removed the protected area effect from the pve safehouses, y'see :)

Seems like we're well on the way to the patch where they forget that Division agents aren't supposed to shoot at unarmed American Citizens for their trendy shemaghs.

Wat?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    'Balanced' is broken so they're going to fix that. Now that everyone has wasted their mats trying to roll weapons specifically for that.

What's wrong with Balanced? O_o

Random thought: "Nerf" used to be a company that made fun toys, now it's synonymous with taking fun away from games.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

UBI cut back to maintenance team levels way too early on the game. They can't fix it fast enough with the resources they have and are being overwhelmed.
    Well, it sort of leads one to envision the office situation something like this...
    1461853514813.jpg

Seems like we're well on the way to the patch where they forget that Division agents aren't supposed to shoot at unarmed American Citizens for their trendy shemaghs.
    Wat?
    You can off civvies with exploding deployables, but I don't think they drop loot?
    (they do give xp though, if that works like enemy grenade explosions! :twisted:)

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    If UBI didn't learn its lessons after all the terrible press that AC:Unity got, that means that it is a fully entrenched "churn and burn" corporate management culture. They literally could not care less about the bad press they get, because they've already sold a huge number of copies.

As soon as the game launched, they cut the dev team down to a skeleton crew, just like they did with The Division, and every other bug-ridden game UBI has launched. It's clear they don't care about bad press, they are fully in the "it's better to beg forgiveness" style of releases.

I mean all of this just reeks of absolutely abysmal management, at all levels. First, UBI decides to have a dev studio with zero experience in competitive online gaming to develop both a platform and engine for a primarily online and PVP based game. Studio starts development on console only, but gets told by UBI that they now have to port to PC (granted this is over 3 years ago). Networking team either cannot foresee the issues with either a) using the abysmally performing TCP protocol for online gaming, and b) using the trusted-client model; or alternatively simply does not have the time to make the necessary changes. Then team is rushed, rushed, rushed to get the game into a deliverable format, with the absolute bare minimum of QA, and shipped. UBI then cuts the live team to a skeleton crew, and pushes the rest of Massive on to a new project.

This is literally the same thing that happens with every single UBI game that comes out.

To get back to the networking issue with regard to the article by the network engineer who said it would require a complete rewrite to go to an untrusted-client model. That's only part of the picture. The game uses TCP for all of its communications with the server (why you see damage numbers pop up late, but they will pop up eventually), because TCP is a guaranteed delivery protocol. The thing is, almost no online game uses TCP because latency performance is fucking terrible with TCP. If you combined TCP with a server side computed valued for an untrusted client model, your performance would make the game almost unplayable. So, not only do they have to rewrite the server-side values, they would have to completely rewrite the engine to use UDP (and all of the forced redundancy and catch-up inherent in a non-guaranteed delivery protocol).

TLDR; Hacking will never be resolved in this game because it would require not only rewriting the engine to server-side variables, but rewriting the engine to switch internet protocols entirely. Seriously, whoever thought TCP was a good idea for a PVP online game was fucking moron.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

1461853514813.jpg

Wat?
    You can off civvies with exploding deployables, but I don't think they drop loot?
    (they do give xp though, if that works like enemy grenade explosions! :twisted:)

Wat?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular

1461853514813.jpg

I will execute each and every remaining citizen of New York for a pair of purple jeans, grinning while I do so.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Erevar wrote: »
    'Balanced' is broken so they're going to fix that. Now that everyone has wasted their mats trying to roll weapons specifically for that.

Random thought: "Nerf" used to be a company that made fun toys, now it's synonymous with taking fun away from games.

"The 'Balanced' talent is actually a worthwhile talent... make it useless like the rest."

I imagine that was the how the conversation went

Oakey on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    To get back to the networking issue with regard to the article by the network engineer who said it would require a complete rewrite to go to an untrusted-client model. That's only part of the picture. The game uses TCP for all of its communications with the server (why you see damage numbers pop up late, but they will pop up eventually), because TCP is a guaranteed delivery protocol. The thing is, almost no online game uses TCP because latency performance is fucking terrible with TCP. If you combined TCP with a server side computed valued for an untrusted client model, your performance would make the game almost unplayable. So, not only do they have to rewrite the server-side values, they would have to completely rewrite the engine to use UDP (and all of the forced redundancy and catch-up inherent in a non-guaranteed delivery protocol).

TLDR; Hacking will never be resolved in this game because it would require not only rewriting the engine to server-side variables, but rewriting the engine to switch internet protocols entirely. Seriously, whoever thought TCP was a good idea for a PVP online game was fucking moron.

There's also a PVE ramification for the TCP-focused nature of the game. In the video that I posted as the second post on page 38 mentions, in-game VOIP has an inherent delay of over 1 second. This makes using in-game comms a liability during challenge modes or incursions where shotgunners run rampant and will one-shot players (e.g. situations that demand immediate communication to mitigate unfavorable results).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

There's also a PVE ramification for the TCP-focused nature of the game. In the video that I posted as the second post on page 38 mentions, in-game VOIP has an inherent delay of over 1 second. This makes using in-game comms a liability during challenge modes or incursions where shotgunners run rampant and will one-shot players (e.g. situations that demand immediate communication to mitigate unfavorable results).

The VOIP is TCP based as well? HAHAHAHAHA. That can be the only response to that. Seriously, they probably could have lifted an off the shelf VOIP implementation (all of which use UDP). But, instead they built, from the ground up, a TCP implementation of VOIP? That is the most hilariously incompetent thing I've ever heard.

• Options

The VOIP is TCP based as well? HAHAHAHAHA. That can be the only response to that. Seriously, they probably could have lifted an off the shelf VOIP implementation (all of which use UDP). But, instead they built, from the ground up, a TCP implementation of VOIP? That is the most hilariously incompetent thing I've ever heard.

Wanna know what's even more damning? One of the main points he brings up is that the VOIP makes your IP address publically visible to everybody if you have in-game voice chat enabled. Seriously, that video has some pretty interesting stuff in it once you get through his pleas for donations (I loved watching his series about the state of Battlefield 4's netcode analysis).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

Balanced is really good for bloom while shooting and is making M1As ridiculous. I suspect that's not intended by a strictly literal interpretation of the Talent--what is intended is only an improvement on the speed of the accuracy boost you get solely by shouldering vs hip firing.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

Balanced is really good for bloom while shooting and is making M1As ridiculous. I suspect that's not intended by a strictly literal interpretation of the Talent--what is intended is only an improvement on the speed of the accuracy boost you get solely by shouldering vs hip firing.

And if you have it w/ cool headed, it's basically game over, as you can spam seekers or stickies every couple of seconds...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Natchai, CM of the year:

Pinned, from 4/22

It only took how long for him to realize maybe he should separate his personal twitter from his work twitter? And people with positive things to say to him or general questions would follow that, whereas the people who aren't so positive... does he think this will make a difference? Because...

Also... (earlier this week)

Not helping himself here either:

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    The Penguin Pesetas cap: Why?

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    So, apparently the fix to the ladder glitch has introduced a new bug. If you stand next to certain ladders too long, it will down you. This game is a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccg12dZwwCo&feature=youtu.be

So glad I dropped this game when I was hot.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    I am curious about something in that video: that's in the DZ...the dude is standing fairly still at the top of the ladder and there's a flash of hit-marker on him. Are we sure it's the ladder that killed him and not a dude spec'd out for headshot damage shooting the guy with a bolt-action DMR? In other words, are we sure this isn't another "Let the NPCs lob grenades at you to kill the APC" hoax?

• Options
    I am curious about something in that video: that's in the DZ...the dude is standing fairly still at the top of the ladder and there's a flash of hit-marker on him. Are we sure it's the ladder that killed him and not a dude spec'd out for headshot damage shooting the guy with a bolt-action DMR? In other words, are we sure this isn't another "Let the NPCs lob grenades at you to kill the APC" hoax?

That was one of my questions, but downing a player would be sufficient damage to flag someone rogue, yes? Especially if they dropped him twice. There's nobody else in the area or a ping that appears. So it seems... plausible. Only way to find out for certain would be to find a ladder in the DZ. :P

• Options

That was one of my questions, but downing a player would be sufficient damage to flag someone rogue, yes? Especially if they dropped him twice. There's nobody else in the area or a ping that appears. So it seems... plausible. Only way to find out for certain would be to find a ladder in the DZ. :P

There is a red threat marker when the combat radar fades away so who knows. The only way to know (from the video) would have been to have let the guy bleed out and see the kill screen. As it stands, I'm skeptical of the veracity of the video (especially since people seem to love jumping on every rumored bug/exploit/whathaveyou without confirming first (which is also telling about the general state/reception of the game itself...but that's a different story).

• Options
    edited April 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNpI6korpQ0

from Reddit

I mean iphones are waterproof too, so idk.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    They really do need to just bleed out and show what actually did the killing. If it was the ladder, hopefully it'll say "Mistakes were made" or maybe just "Player killed by Ladder; weapon - Top Rung".

• Options
    edited April 2016

There is a red threat marker when the combat radar fades away so who knows. The only way to know (from the video) would have been to have let the guy bleed out and see the kill screen. As it stands, I'm skeptical of the veracity of the video (especially since people seem to love jumping on every rumored bug/exploit/whathaveyou without confirming first (which is also telling about the general state/reception of the game itself...but that's a different story).
    Ahahaha, nope. You'll instantly go down if you try to climb down that ladder. :) Parking garage rooftop extraction in DZ02. Just went there myself.
    Edit: No kill source. Would've been neat with a preview of future Incursion boss Ladderlord!
    Tom_Clancy_s_The_Division_2016_4_29_3_16_8.jpg

Panda4You on
  • Options

Ahahaha, nope. You'll instantly go down if you try to climb down that ladder. :) Parking garage rooftop extraction in DZ02. Just went there myself.

So what does it say killed you when you bleed out? I mean, are we talking about the bad-olden days of BF4's killcam?

• Options
    They really do need to just bleed out and show what actually did the killing. If it was the ladder, hopefully it'll say "Mistakes were made" or maybe just "Player killed by Ladder; weapon - Top Rung".

I... don't think a DZ 99 person is going to want to die just 'cuz. That's all the evidence I could find, so... idk what else to tell ya

• Options
    Edit: No kill source. Would've been neat with a preview of future Incursion boss Ladderlord!
    Tom_Clancy_s_The_Division_2016_4_29_3_16_8.jpg

That is such a missed opportunity. I mean, even just a "Suicide" or "Mistakes were made..." message would've been better than nothing.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Has anyone else had issues with mission audio repeating after completing a mission? I just had to listen to the entirety of the Grand Central Station mission audio with no way to shut it off and it's also happened with Lexington and Rooftop.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So s few days ago I switched to use the combat medic talent.

A few days ago I started saying "man I dunno what's wrong but my Smart Cover is awful lately!" As rogues murdeter me through my massive resistance.

Well usually when I get hurt and take cover to get my resistance I pop medikit then engage with full health and 70% extra resists.

Well today I discovered combat medic medikits blow up friendly walls.

So every time I went to engage after popping medikit I've been doing so without my wall bonus. Hence why it feels awful, because it's literally not been doing anything for me.

In the heat of dark zone fights I haven't noticed my cover blowing up. But it took a challenge mode run to notice abs reproduce.

Thanks game.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So s few days ago I switched to use the combat medic talent.

A few days ago I started saying "man I dunno what's wrong but my Smart Cover is awful lately!" As rogues murdeter me through my massive resistance.

Well usually when I get hurt and take cover to get my resistance I pop medikit then engage with full health and 70% extra resists.

Well today I discovered combat medic medikits blow up friendly walls.

So every time I went to engage after popping medikit I've been doing so without my wall bonus. Hence why it feels awful, because it's literally not been doing anything for me.

In the heat of dark zone fights I haven't noticed my cover blowing up. But it took a challenge mode run to notice abs reproduce.

Thanks game.

Probably related to how friendly grenades blow up your smart cover but enemy ones will not.

Recent big ol' Healing video actually mentions it, which is the only reason I remembered that particular interaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKwX0BRvml4&feature=em-uploademail

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Has anyone else had issues with mission audio repeating after completing a mission? I just had to listen to the entirety of the Grand Central Station mission audio with no way to shut it off and it's also happened with Lexington and Rooftop.

Just had this after doing Broadway daily. I was trying to do Grand Central Station and it played all of Broadways audio. Then I got a Delta error and now I'm locked out of my account and can't play.

edit: Hahaha, oh just fuck off!

"Due to server errors your characters are currently locked. You can force unlock them and revert back to the previous saved data but some progress may be lost"

edit: fuck me, still can't connect. Think I may be done with this game depending on how much progress was lost.

Oakey on
  • Options
    Cue Natchai Stappers.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Haven't checked it out just yet but: Improving the Player Experience - Topic: Cheating and Exploits

TLDR:

They got some newer cheat detections, confirmed cheating gets a 14 day suspension instead of 3, then a permanent.

They will tell you if they think an exploit is "illegal," and going forward may issue rollbacks, etc. So... majestic law continues.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Well, I lowered my gear to 157, and transferred the rest via the stash to an alt.

My next DZ experiences were far more pleasurable :biggrin:

And today I was running around alone, and met someone who sent me an invite, so yeah, two are better than one, so why not? He had gear score 134 or something. We picked up a third and that one was only 111. So they were pretty happy with me killing those level 30 dudes all around.

Then a supply drop dropped, and we were running towards there. There was however, another team of 3 people there, busy shooting the guards of that drop.

I did the naughty thing, gave no shits about the guards and opened the supply chest :twisted:

This pissed off the other team who went rogue on us, but well, a Black Market AK and a Vector with yellow magazine mods do work quite well, and I managed to off two of their guys, which got me my I Am The LAW! trophy and the platinum :biggrin:

I shot the third guy down (after dying, but I didn't mind), but left one of my teammates to deal the final blow, picked up the yellows, and extracted.

After that I ran towards the base of operation (where my team leader went too), and dropped all my yellows that I could share outside the base. I looked at his profile where it said "Arabic", a language which I don't master, so I took a screenshot of the loot putside the base, messaged him that, and he came out a picked it up and waved. I waved back and logged out. That was a nice moment of non-verbal communication :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Yeah, it's been 0-160 bracket DZ, or none at all, for a long time now.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Dissent was warned for this.
    Well, I lowered my gear to 157, and transferred the rest via the stash to an alt.

And today I was running around alone, and met someone who sent me an invite, so yeah, two are better than one, so why not? He had gear score 134 or something. We picked up a third and that one was only 111. So they were pretty happy with me killing those level 30 dudes all around.

Then a supply drop dropped, and we were running towards there. There was however, another team of 3 people there, busy shooting the guards of that drop.

I did the naughty thing, gave no shits about the guards and opened the supply chest :twisted:

This pissed off the other team who went rogue on us, but well, a Black Market AK and a Vector with yellow magazine mods do work quite well, and I managed to off two of their guys, which got me my I Am The LAW! trophy and the platinum :biggrin:

I shot the third guy down (after dying, but I didn't mind), but left one of my teammates to deal the final blow, picked up the yellows, and extracted.

After that I ran towards the base of operation (where my team leader went too), and dropped all my yellows that I could share outside the base. I looked at his profile where it said "Arabic", a language which I don't master, so I took a screenshot of the loot putside the base, messaged him that, and he came out a picked it up and waved. I waved back and logged out. That was a nice moment of non-verbal communication :biggrin:

So what you're saying is that you're a dick who exploited the bracket system in order to screw over lower lvl players and not have to play with people who were acting like dicks to you after their own exploit of the gear system? Sounds neat.

Sterica on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Dissent wrote: »

So what you're saying is that you're a dick who exploited the bracket system in order to screw over lower lvl players and not have to play with people who were acting like dicks to you after their own exploit of the gear system? Sounds neat.

While... I kind of agree with you... maybe phrase that a little more tactfully next time? lol :P

edit: The PK/stealing bits of his actions, while dickish... are the sad point of the DZ...

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    JagmasJagmas Registered User regular

Reminds me of WoW killing mobs near a some metal resource I'm after and here comes that guy to take it.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

This is how you build a community!

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Looks like users of the free cheat tool are getting banned, at least. I'll give it a bit to see how things shake out, maybe with some new content it'll be worth coming back to the PC version.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options

While... I kind of agree with you... maybe phrase that a little more tactfully next time? lol :P

edit: The PK/stealing bits of his actions, while dickish... are the sad point of the DZ...

He was kinda borderline but jacking someone else's camp isn't nearly as bad as wandering around perma rogue like a unkillable God in that bracket. There's a reason a lot of people like to just pop Survivor and loot the supply drop instead of fighting the camp first.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-GB/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:154-248717-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32
    Improving the Player Experience – Topic: Cheating & Exploits

29/04/2016 10:31 AM

From the very beginning of development, our emphasis has always been on the player experience and how good we want it to be. We have great plans for the future of The Division, and for these to succeed we must make sure to provide a smooth high-quality experience. Unfortunately, the gameplay experience was recently impaired by in-game bugs and players violating the rules of the game. In order to bring back a better and healthier environment, we have taken new steps to address the situation.
    Cheat Engines

Cheating players have been an issue for a number of you in the Dark Zone, and we’ve heard this feedback loud and clear. We are strengthening our efforts to address this problem, as described below.

First, we have implemented new cheat detection methods that have allowed us to identify many more players currently using cheat engines in the game. We have already caught more cheaters in the last few days than we had in total during the previous weeks. As a result, we will be handing out the biggest wave of suspensions and bans to date over the course of the next few days.

Second, when cheaters are caught, we will now apply a suspension of 14 days on first offense (instead of the previous 3 day initial suspension). Second offense will always be a permanent ban.

We anticipate these two changes will noticeably improve your experience. New upgrades on cheat detection are underway.
    Bug Exploits

What is a bug exploit?

An exploit is the active triggering and use of a bug or glitch to bypass established game rules in order to gain a significant advantage or skip progression steps otherwise necessary.

Identifying and fixing bugs before releasing new content is one of the most important parts of game development. This is also the best way to guarantee a smooth and enjoyable experience for our players. Learning from the past and your great feedback, we are currently reviewing our development and testing process to further minimize the amount and impact of these bugs going forward.

Unfortunately, we cannot simulate the experience that millions of different players will have, and how they will play the game. As a result, some bugs may make it through testing, and may be present when an update is deployed. In the event that a bug makes it into the game, and this bug can be used by players to gain an advantage, we need to be able to react and fix it, but also dissuade players from exploiting this bug until it is fixed. This is why moving forward we will adopt a stronger stance against players abusing exploits.

Our first step is to give you clearer and more concrete visibility. Should new bugs be discovered, we will quickly confirm if these are considered exploits. All known exploits will be clearly listed in a public forum thread and across our various communication platforms. We want all players to be informed. This will ensure that those caught after an exploit was confirmed are aware of the consequences and actions that can be taken against them.

Second, sanctions will be implemented for players who repeatedly abuse exploits and will vary depending on the severity of the abuse, as well as the history of the player. Possible sanctions include character rollbacks, account suspensions and permanent bans. Those who encounter bugs during the normal course of play have absolutely nothing to worry about.

As mentioned earlier, providing a high-quality experience is our priority. Fixing game bugs is one aspect of it, and we are improving our processes to address that. Dissuading players from impairing others’ gameplay by violating the rules of the game is another aspect. We also want to give you better visibility and transparency. We are fully committed to providing an enjoyable and fair environment for all our players, and will take all steps necessary to achieve this goal.

See you in game!

The Division Team

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1442058
    [Changelog] April 29th maintenance

Here is the list of changes implemented during the maintenance of April 29:

Fixed the Ladder of Death: characters will no longer die by standing next to a ladder

XNnw6Gk.jpg